Fourtytwo brings a brush and colours to Imperial Assault

By Fourtytwo, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to try and find an equivalent here in Australia. I was painting my Boba Fett and realised, after getting the base colours on, that I've not cleaned the mold lines and he looks horrible!

10 minutes ago, Nailbomb said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to try and find an equivalent here in Australia. I was painting my Boba Fett and realised, after getting the base colours on, that I've not cleaned the mold lines and he looks horrible!

For the record, I've never had a problem taking off any missed mold lines after the primer/base coat was on (you'll just obviously have to paint over them again with the same base coat colour). I'm definitely on the amateur side of painting, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it might be easier than hunting down a product and then starting all over again.

6 hours ago, Nailbomb said:

Dettol Antiseptic liquid will work if you can get hold of it out there (just be sure to clean most of the gunk off with toothbrush/toothpick/stickytack before you get to a stage where you can clean with water, otherwise it'll mix with the stuff and get slimy).

Edited by 54NCH32

Thanks for the advice guys, definitely have Dettol here. Is it the same deal, soak overnight?

It's done - now Sabine joins Hera, Chopper, Ahsoka, Ko-Tun and Ezra in my personal rebel-dreamteam:

5b903eb961854_SabineWren001.jpg.33986c61

5b903ebab577c_SabineWren002.jpg.8f2933f3

:)

As good as always - which means AS GOOD AS IT GETS!

So good man!

Do you need a friend? I'm pretty sure he's a friend..!

5b9559c8ea73d_HondoOhnaka001.jpg.3156880

Really clean! Nicely done

On 9/6/2018 at 8:48 AM, Fourtytwo said:

It's done - now Sabine joins Hera, Chopper, Ahsoka, Ko-Tun and Ezra in my personal rebel-dreamteam:

5b903eb961854_SabineWren001.jpg.33986c61

5b903ebab577c_SabineWren002.jpg.8f2933f3

what reference did you use, sabine has lots of outfits, i cant pick one

32 minutes ago, Spidey NZ said:

what reference did you use, sabine has lots of outfits, i cant pick one

I used her character design for the last 10 or so episodes from the final season as a reference. Some details in her sculpt mix up elements from several seasons, though - for example she wears a vambrace with some slicing/communications device in a style like in season 2/Season 3, but has a season 3/ season 4 haircut. Also, she's missing an extra belt with two pouches. I guess this was done deliberately so as not to make her too specific to her look in a single season, which is fine with me, because it gives us painters the option to paint her in a style of hers we like most.

I always use official material for reference - you get great concept renders for the animated shows thanks to Filonis love of cosplayers. :D

JuHhOw8.png

Edited by Fourtytwo

Sabine looks incredible. All those armour details are amazing. I'm genuinely in awe.

I'm currently painting two Death Troopers - here's a WIP (helmets, arms and weapons are finished):

5b9ab7f57055b_DeathTroopersWIP001.jpg.93

Fantastic work! I figure these will be the last figures I paint, since it's so difficult to make black on black look anything but boring. You've certainly managed it here, though!

Side note: Even after staring at the figures, I still couldn't tell whether the glare on their helmets was painted or was from an actual light source. The only way I eventually figured it out was by noticing that the 'source' is coming from a different angle on the second figure. Seriously, well done!

Edited by ManateeX

The Death Troopers are finished:

5ba0f3dc03b7d_DeathTrooper001.jpg.5c20f6

Now it's time to apply some Colour to Grand Admiral Thrawn:

5ba155767acb0_ThrawnWIP001.jpg.c63bee109

On 9/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, Fourtytwo said:

The Death Troopers are finished:

5ba0f3dc03b7d_DeathTrooper001.jpg.5c20f6

How did you do the different shades of black and grey. And the lighting

On 9/25/2018 at 4:55 AM, Jabby said:

The answer is; "disgustingly well"... You're just absolutely ridiculous, Fourty.. in the best possible way. I wish I had half your skills. :)

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, Jabby said:
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Fourtytwo said:

Since I do not use gloss varnish for reflective surfaces but varnish all my minis in a nice even matte finish, I have to simulate the interaction of light with reflective surfaces via painting.

Smooth reflective surfaces basically reflect two types of light: Environmental light is diffuse und hits the reflective elements from all directions, which makes them appear a bit lighter than they are. Here, I painted all elements in a very dark grey to simulate this, with strong blacks painted very neatly into all recesses. Then I created smooth transitions into a lighter dark grey towards the surfaces which are facing more upwards and are exposed to more light. I also gave all edges a highlight in a darker mid-grey or a pire mid-grey. The other light is that from a light source which hits the Trooper directly and is therefore reflected in a very bright, sharply defined way. These glints have been applied to all upwards-facing corner edges and upwards-facing curved surfaces in a light grey. in the case of larger reflections like that on the fron top and back top of the helmet I feathered out the edges of the light-grey spot. Then pure white was painted into the light grey glints to make them pop and give them the appearance of a very reflective material.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

Edited by Fourtytwo

I almost forgot: I finished painting Thrawn!

5ba76fc689e60_Thrawn001.jpg.6d222cd68c1a

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Spidey NZ said:

love it. i feel the AT-DP could use some decal colours. i found the yellow stripes worked well on mine.

I finally came back to heed your advice and added some yellow markings, plus some bright specular highlights and glints in white. The changes are subtle, but effective, and the AT-DP Looks far better for them:

5bb1179f1e2e1_AT-DP002.jpg.1db3a44a88f28

Also, here are two photos of my updated rebel and imperial skirmish-teams:

5bb9226e1abb8_42sREBELS.jpg.2ad10cb1a367

5bb92271ce3d0_42sTheEmperorsHand.jpg.62d

I've also started working on Han Solo. I don't like the pose of his Imperial Assault-version (looks a bit like he's having a go at expressive dancing…), and I don't like his hace/head at all of his Legion-version. Also, on his Imperial Assault-version his gun is not particularly well-sculpted. So, I decidced to combine the best of two worlds and exchanged the arms of his Imperial Assault-version with the arms of the Legion-version. I had to shorten them a bit and made them thinner to fit the scale of Imperial Assault's Han Solo. Here's the converted figure:

5bbcff725bf2a_HanSoloWIP001.jpg.8f235802

I've also started painting my customized Han Solo, and I've finished his face and head so far. I've also photographed the individual steps of painting his face and will use them in an article on how I go about painting faces and how I paint in general, which I'll post here soon for all of you lovely folks who are interested. :)

5bbe5f9a9d3cd_HanSoloWIP002.jpg.9c5d4d48

Edited by Fourtytwo

Great work! (I seem to repeat myself in this thread)

36 minutes ago, aermet69 said:

Great work! (I seem to repeat myself in this thread)

Many thanks - it is still appreciated! :)

5 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

I've also photographed the individual steps of painting his face and will use them in an article on how I go about painting faces and how I paint in general, which I'll post here soon for all of you lovely folks who are interested. :)

That's fantastic! I'm looking forward to it.