Fourtytwo brings a brush and colours to Imperial Assault

By Fourtytwo, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

@Fourtytwo That AT-AT is the bee's knees. How long have you been painting? And does this skill cross over into your professional life? because your skills are something else!

8 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

@Fourtytwo That AT-AT is the bee's knees. How long have you been painting? And does this skill cross over into your professional life? because your skills are something else!

Thanks! And no, I'm not utilizing my skills professionally. I'been drawing and painting since I've been 3 years old, and got into miniatures painting in my early teens (Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd edition). I've also done 3d-models, textures and animation for a computer game mod and other creative stuff. Star Wars got me interested in production design, and I've spent a lot of hours at school drawing vehicles and characers from the Original Trilogy. It's always been a hobby, but one into which I've invested a lot of time and practice. :lol:

Edited by Fourtytwo

IMO, these are the best painted IA models I've seen. Extremely clean and detailed, especially the faces. Well done sir, I salute your skill!

Today, I got my Heart of the Empire Expansion as well as the Palpatine, Maul and Ahsoka Figure Packs, and I started preparing, priming, pre-shading and painting my Ahsoka right away. The first important step is done. Normally, I start with blocking out all colours before proceeding to shade and highlight everything, but with a figure like this, I always start with the face, because getting the face right is crucial. Tomorrow, I'll proceed with the montrals and lekku, and then paint the rest of the figure. I really enjoy painting this mini after the long wait! :D

59e11d9fdfed5_AhsokaWIP002.jpg.831177a51

You Ashoka face is amazing. I couldn't reach that level of neatness.

Quick question, what paints do you use? A specific company or just an amalgamation of things?

Edited by Moeaswordusrex
1 hour ago, Moeaswordusrex said:

You Ashoka face is amazing. I couldn't reach that level of neatness.

Quick question, what paints do you use? A specific company or just an amalgamation of things?

Thank you, Moeaswordusrex. I almost exclusively use Citadel paints and shades. In the end, you have to find the paints that work best with the techniues you use, so I always recommend experimenting with different brands until you know what works best for you.

Today, I made some more significant progress and finished all the most challenging parts of the mini - in other words the montrals and lekku. I also painted Ahsoka's tiara, which means her head is now finished and I can move on to the easier parts of the figure.

59e2419e0e4d1_AhsokaWIP003.jpg.f48f79ca2

As for the level of neatness - talent is not a factor here, but practice and nothing but practice. Thin your paints, use a small brush with a very fine tip, and learn to sit and support your arms in a way that steadies your hand best. And remember: I also screw up. Regularly! Learn to press on and simply correct small mistakes as you go along. :)

Edited by Fourtytwo
1 hour ago, Fourtytwo said:

Thank you, Moeaswordusrex. I almost exclusively use Citadel paints and shades. In the end, you have to find the paints that work best with the techniues you use, so I always recommend experimenting with different brands until you know what works best for you.

Today, I made some more significant progress and finished all the most challenging parts of the mini - in other words the montrals and lekku. I also painted Ahsoka's tiara, which means her head is now finished and I can move on to the easier parts of the figure.

As for the level of neatness - talent is not a factor here, but practice and nothing but practice. Thin your paints, use a small brush with a very fine tip, and learn to sit and support your arms in a way that steadies your hand best. And remember: I also screw up. Regularly! Learn to press on and simply correct small mistakes as you go along. :)

Thank you for the encouraging words. I've pretty much made it a goal to try as many paints as possible, so far I have tried citadel paints and vellejo paints, both of which I like,just interested in what you used. Next on the block is either scale 75 or warcolours. Also great work on the model so far, can't wait to see it finished.

That's beautiful!

11 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

giphy.gif

Absolutely beautiful work sir! :)

1 hour ago, Sorastro said:

Absolutely beautiful work sir! :)

Thank you very much - that means a lot to me coming from you! :)

Just a little update on my progress with Ahsoka - the mini will be finished by the end of this week!

59e7aa24e9a42_AhsokaWIP004.jpg.e84a2827e

Really beautiful stuff. I guess one of the reason’s your work is so perfect is that you really take your time.

Does it make you feel anxious at all about actually playing with them?

7 minutes ago, Srba said:

Does it make you feel anxious at all about actually playing with them?

Actually, no. I always varnish my minis - with a thin coat of satin varnish from Armypainter first for a robust protection, and with a thin layer of Revell clear matt color spray for a perfectly matt finish which does not desaturate the colours. The people who I play all sorts of miniatures-based games with and myself handle the minis gently during play and always pick them up by the base - I guess that's standard for any miniatures-gamer who paints his or her playing pieces to a certain level.

Edited by Fourtytwo
3 minutes ago, Fourtytwo said:

Actually, no. I always varnish my minis - with a thin coat of satin varnish from Armypainter first for a robust protection, and with a thin layer of Revell clear matt color spray for a perfectly matt finish which does not desaturate the colours. The people who I play all sorts of miniatures-based games with and myself handle the minis gently during play and always pick them up by the base - I guess that's standard for any miniatures-gamer who paints his or her playing pieces to a certain level.

Well, that is a shame. I’ve often used it as an excuse for kind of rushing everything I do. “Well, it’s only for playing; I don’t want a masterpiece.” But really I think I’m just lazy and impatient.

5 minutes ago, Srba said:

But really I think I’m just lazy and impatient.

There's nothing wrong with a desire to paint the minis quickly so that you can use painted minis in your game sooner than later - and you did a great job with yours so far. I'd not call that lazy and impatient. If, you want to learn about different techniques you can utilize to achieve a more sophisticated level of painting, I recommend hitting YouTube - there are loads of great painters who explain and showcase different painting techniques. Take Sorastro, for example. I learned a lot from Vince Venturella and his content also got me into experimenting and trying new stuff. It may seem daunting at first, but if you take one step after the other and do not try to learn everything at once, you will definitely make progress and the process will be lots of fun.

I finally finished painting my Ahsoka. I'm very happy with how she turned out.

5ba3ecdc4384c_AhsokaTano001.jpg.8f3a34ef

Edited by Fourtytwo

Incredible. Pretty much perfect.

Beautiful work

Perfect definition, congrats.

Epic work mate!

Just wow.

On 21/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, Fourtytwo said:

59eafd7784863_AhsokaTano001.jpg.cd511736

Amazing work. Can't wait to see Maul and palpatine.

fantastic. and agree, really looking forward to Palpatine. Long flowing robes really escape me.

On 21/10/2017 at 7:01 PM, Fourtytwo said:

59eafd7784863_AhsokaTano001.jpg.cd511736

That’s absolutely amazing work!