Painting The Forces of Hepitude

By Hepitude, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Beautiful work!

Here's a post of some new painting and some old painting. I finally finished up the Latari Command and now I just have two Leonx Riders to complete. I would have loved to make the lightning on the banner look like tree roots, but I was really restricted by the space available. The Death Knights are painted exactly the same as before, which is kinda weird for me, but I do love how they look so I don't mind having lots of them.

Runewars Miniatures Latari Command Ruenwars Miniatures Death Knights Group 1 Runewars MIniatures Death Knights Group 2

In OTHER very exciting news my wife and I have a new baby! It's lots of work, but baby nap times are a good opportunity to get some painting done. My wife took advantage of this as well and finished up her Ardus! It's her very first attempt at painting a miniature and I think she did an amazing job. She went with a coppery/gold armor theme that looks pretty sharp.

Runewars Miniatures Ardus Front (wife painted) Runewars Miniatures Ardus Back (wife painted)

I see she follows your example of detailed clothwork on the minis. Very nice!

Congrats!

Here are the Uthuk Y'llan Berserkers! It was a headache figuring out a paint scheme for these guys. Originally I wanted to go for an intensely colored Moroccan inspired cloth design, but it took way too long and looked really bad. Instead I went with faded colors for the cloth and dry-brushed red sand over everything. I didn't think I'd be happy with it, but I was surprised by the end result. It looks like they've spent their entire lives blending into the desert to avoid being eaten by Spined Threshers. The bone weapons also really pop on the table.

I've got 24 more of these guys to go, then my odds and ends that may get pushed back further if Wraiths come out before I finish.

Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Berserkers Front Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Berserkers Back Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Command

Nice job, I still have no idea what my color scheme is going to be...

Ravos was another Uthuk design that I wasn't crazy about, but I made a couple of tweaks and I'm happy with the end result. First off, I carved his scythe way down and painted it like bone so that it actually matches the weapons the rest of the army is using. He might be strong, but that blade was way too big for that skinny pole. I also had a couple Spined Thresher heads lying around that I have no use for so I carved the back out of one and painted it gold for Ravos' Viscera Goblet.

Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Ravos Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Ravos Back Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Ravos Goblet Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Berserkers Army Front Runewars Miniatures Uthuk Y'llan Berserkers Army Back

I am almost caught up on my backlog! I actually think I'll have everything done by the time the new expansions get released. Long-time follows will notice another homage to the comic Nedroid.

I'd still like to get another two trays of horses so that I can field two 3x2 formations, but this is all I have for now. I took a couple group shots because I love all the colors together.

Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Cavalry Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Cavalry Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Cavalry

On 4/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, Hepitude said:

Really love the muted tones here. Brilliant.

Dude, you have some gorgeous stuff here.

I finished up all my backlog so here's some odds and ends before the new stuff comes out (whenever that is). I finally FINALLY finished up those darn Leonx riders. I don't know why, but I just really don't enjoy painting those guys. I also finished two more Carrion Lancer so I can finally run the max unit size! In my most recent game I had a ton of fun running a bunch of single unit Lancers with support archers for blight. I never realized, but Lancers work really well in pairs of single trays as one can blight while the other late charges.

I got into this game for the Rune Golems, but I've really fallen in love with the Lancers.

Runewars Miniatures Carrion Lancer Unit

Runewars Miniatures Carrion Lancer Mob

I like to make sure the bases on my siege units work if I put them all together in a big block.

Runewars Miniatures Carrion Lancers Bases

Runewars Miniatures Blue Spruce Leonx Riders

Last of all here's a picture of all the Blue Spruce units in my Latari army. It's probably hard to tell, but almost every grey and blue in the picture is a different shade. Drives me a little crazy.

Runewars Miniatures Latari Blue Spruce Units

So now that I'm out of stuff to paint I feel very unproductive watching tv again. I was going to wait to start on the new terrain until I got Kethra, but I might begin work just to tide me over.

Edited by Hepitude

Wonderful stuff as always! I'm toying with that worm army in mind... needs only 14 carrion lancers. They would look awesome using your color scheme. :D

3 hours ago, Uthoroc said:

Wonderful stuff as always! I'm toying with that worm army in mind... needs only 14 carrion lancers. They would look awesome using your color scheme. :D

Thank you! I've always loved the idea of running an army with just a ton of siege units. Maybe one day I'll have worked my collection up to the point where I can.

So... the new expansions are taking longer to come out than I was anticipating and I found a good deal on some more siege units.

Here's my new sandstone golem.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Sandstone Rune Golem Runewars Miniatures Daqan Sandstone Rune Golem Back

This one is a flint golem. The yellowish bits on him aren't reflections, but uncut portions of the flint rock. It is a kinda cool effect though and I might try making a really reflective golem. It'd look very different if I hadn't decided to go with the yellow uniform (a mistake I think).

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Flint Rune Golem Runewars Miniatures Daqan Flint Rune Golem Back Runewars Miniatures Daqan Rune Golem Unit Runewars Miniatures Daqan Rune Golem Mob

These couple new scions finally get me up to six siege in each faction. I'm looking forward to running a full block in my next game!

Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Moss Front Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Moss Back Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Lichen Front Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Lichen Back

I had some very cool ideas for how to paint my wraiths, but none of them turned out to work so here are some Outland Scouts. I'm looking forward to playing these guys! It was so much fun painting some new models after all this time. I went for metal armor rather than the leather to better match my other Daqan.

Runewars Miniatures Outland Scouts 1 Runewars Miniatures Outland Scouts 2 Runewars Miniatures Outland Scouts 3

Bummer about the Wraiths. When I saw there was an update from Hepitude, I thought, "I cannot wait to see this man's Wraiths!" Guess I have to wait a bit longer. I really dig the camo-esque look on the Outland Scouts.

These scouts look awesome, as always. You’ve sold me on going with a light plate armor design vs doing scouts in full leather, so thanks! I’ve been undecided for awhile now

By far, Uthuk is the army I've bought the least expansions for so I wanted to get Kethra done quickly to get some new options for list building. Here she is!

Runewars Miniatures Kethra A'laak Mounted Runewars Miniatures Kethra A'laak

I was surprised by how much bigger Hurokk is than the other flesh rippers. It's nice FFG went to the trouble of making a different mold.

Runewars Miniatures Flesh Rippers Comparison

It's hard to believe, but I think I actually have a completed army of Daqan. I might eventually get another few golems, but I'm really happy with my army building options at this point. With my huge backlog of Waiqar it's nice to have one army complete. Here are my final two trays of scouts. I've given them the same colors as other units in my Daqan army, but tried to stick to the earth-tone uniforms. I'll post the odds and ends of the Daqan army while I work on Wraiths and then take a group picture of my full Daqan force.

Runewars Miniatures Outland Scouts 2 Front Runewars Miniatures Outland Scouts 2 Back Runewars Miniatures Outland Scout Unit

Here are the final few units from my Daqan army. I wanted a few really colorful knights to brighten up the rest of the unit as there are a lot of browns and grays at the moment. I think the blue and red pattern looks a lot like one of the classic Lego knight shields.

Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Cavalry Bright Back Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Cavalry Bright Front

It's weird, but a lot of times I don't know if I'll like a pattern until after it is done. The blue and yellow pattern is one I loved when I tried it on my knight (a few months ago) and I've been trying to get more units painted similarly.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Crossbowmen Front Runewars Miniatures Daqan Crossbowmen Back

Here's my full and completed Daqan army. I don't need to paint anything else for my human forces until the Baron comes out!

Runewars Miniatures Full Daqan Army Colors Displayed Runewars Miniatures Full Daqar Army Runewars Miniatures Full Daqan Army Top

38 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

Here's my full and completed Daqan army. I don't need to paint anything else for my human forces until the Baron comes out!

Runewars Miniatures Full Daqan Army Colors Displayed Runewars Miniatures Full Daqar Army Runewars Miniatures Full Daqan Army Top

Excellent work!

Stupendous work!