Painting The Forces of Hepitude

By Hepitude, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

51 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Gorgeous. I do think you could introduce an accent color somewhere, or even just give the leaves a bit of autumn color.

Thank you! And you're completely right, the pictures look pretty monotone. In person the white of the mushrooms stand out a LOT more which makes it look a little better. I wasn't a huge fan of the leaves on the model though, so I tried to paint them to look like just more bark texture.

This man has skills. Amazing Scion!

21 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Thank you! And you're completely right, the pictures look pretty monotone. In person the white of the mushrooms stand out a LOT more which makes it look a little better. I wasn't a huge fan of the leaves on the model though, so I tried to paint them to look like just more bark texture.

I'd disagree in that the orange acts as an accent. Looks very sharp, monochrome painting is it's own game and looks great reveled albeit.

My musing, when I tackle them, was to paint the mushrooms in army colours to tie it together though.

Here are my first two Leonx (sigh... really don't like the name) riders. I went for a Panther look, but painting black is a real pain so the Leonx will probably be the only creatures that will get this color scheme.

Runewars Miniatures Elf Leonx Left Runewars Miniatures Elf Leonx Right

6 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

Leonx (sigh... really don't like the name) riders

Battle cats.

2 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Battle cats.

They're like... Battle Cat-Dog-Lion-Hyenas.

Also, if anyone has any good/interesting tree ideas for uniform colors I'd love to hear them. I'm doing a green/red Japanese Maple uniform right now and it's super bizarre looking, but after that I'm out of ideas. If you know fun leaf and bark combinations let me know! I pretty much just have boring green and brown left.

Cherry and Wisteria have beautiful blossoms. Blue spruce are an interesting color. Ginko leaves are cool.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:35 PM, Contrapulator said:

Cherry and Wisteria have beautiful blossoms. Blue spruce are an interesting color. Ginko leaves are cool.

Blue spruce is awesome idea! Once I have money again I'll definitely use that color scheme.

Here's the finished elven army! I came here to spend money and paint all the released expansions up to date... and I'm all out of money. Anyway, the new Leonx riders are based on a Japanese Maple color scheme, bright red armor and bright green tunics.

Elf Leonx Japanese Maple Left Elf Leonx Japanese Maple Right Leonx Riders Runewars Miniatures Aliana Left Runewars Miniatures Aliana Right Elven Army

Also, does anyone else thing the lion-bear riders are holding those... grabber arm things? I feel like they just use their spears to pinch things up off the ground.

Great colors! It immediately reminded me of my favorite anime, Ronin Warriors, so I'm in love.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Parakitor

@Parakitor Oh god, nostalgia bomb.

While well executed, let's go with strong preference for your previous colour combos. ?. The green red feels quite antagonistic in that scheme. Probably due to the pinky red and yellowy green.

Edited by Darthain
1 hour ago, Darthain said:

While well executed, let's go with strong preference for your previous colour combos. ?. The green red feels quite antagonistic in that scheme. Probably due to the pinky red and yellowy green.

I like it. It feels exotic. Like tropical flavors of Starburst. Maybe I should work on my analogies. Anyway, I'm far from artistically inclined, so Darthain's opinion probably outweighs mine.

I say take it up with the elves... they're the ones who chose it. :) Maybe it blends in really well with environment they're from? Also, I'm not sure you can tell, but all my Leonx are supposed to have black fur... Ms. Aliana's Leonx is an albino.

22 hours ago, Hepitude said:

Also, does anyone else thing the lion-bear riders are holding those... grabber arm things? I feel like they just use their spears to pinch things up off the ground.

Well stop littering in their darn forest then!

While I can't afford any more expansions I've been working on some Runewars terrain! Here are my work-in-progress Rocky Outcrops. They're pretty much complete except that I want to paint the edge of the base black and maybe touch up the dead birch tree a bit more. I'm also considering doing a dark wash on the rock, but I'm not sure how the foam material will take it. I've never done terrain before so most of my work is blind experimentation. Once they're done I'll get some nicer pictures uploaded.

Speaking of blind experimentation, I chose a bad material to use as a base. It's light and tough, but really hard to cut. I tried to get the bases as close as I could to the actual shapes, but they're a little smoother and a little bigger than is accurate. I guess all my armies are just going to be training in tougher conditions than is normal.

Any suggestions would be great!

Runewars Miniatures Rocky Outcrops

washes generally work fine on foam, I generally 'seal' the foam with PVA glue before painting though. generally my rocks are a lazy base coat - 2-3 different coloured washes applied randomly, some dry brushing and call it done.

That is excellent, wire birch tree?

1 minute ago, Darthain said:

washes generally work fine on foam, I generally 'seal' the foam with PVA glue before painting though. generally my rocks are a lazy base coat - 2-3 different coloured washes applied randomly, some dry brushing and call it done.

That is excellent, wire birch tree?

That's good to know, I'll have to get some PVA glue. Does the PVA help the foam retain its shape or help with the painting?

And yes, it's a wire birch tree. @Polda posted some wire tree tutorials from Luke Towan's youtube channel on his painting thread and I've been trying to copy that technique. It's actually a lot of fun! I'm not going to put any leaves on the birch tree, but I ordered leaf material on Amazon for my other trees.

7 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

That's good to know, I'll have to get some PVA glue. Does the PVA help the foam retain its shape or help with the painting?

And yes, it's a wire birch tree. @Polda posted some wire tree tutorials from Luke Towan's youtube channel on his painting thread and I've been trying to copy that technique. It's actually a lot of fun! I'm not going to put any leaves on the birch tree, but I ordered leaf material on Amazon for my other trees.

The PVA helps fill the 'pores' I guess, I do it with cork as well, so it doesn't 'drink'. It also provides a barrier if you end up needing to spray prime, spray will melt foam, generally.

PVA glue on foam does 2 things:
1) If applied right, it makes the surface smooth. Foam commonly used for terrain is usually rough/bubbly on the surface, which can be a pain to paint (if you use a hotwire cutter the cut edge is usually melted smooth anyway but the rest isnt). They also tend to eat more paint than it seems they should be w/o the PVA seal on there

2) Protects it from various reactions. I found this one out the hard way lol. Apparently insulation foam doesnt like spray primer for instance....IT MELTED IT!

edit: :ph34r:

Edited by Vineheart01

Haha... I'm glad you mentioned the spray primer! I was just thinking I might try putting a base coat on my next terrain.

You nailed it with that terrain! There is a boulder near my building that looks almost just like the one on the right! I also love that tree. Stellar work.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:18 PM, Hepitude said:

Also, if anyone has any good/interesting tree ideas for uniform colors I'd love to hear them. I'm doing a green/red Japanese Maple uniform right now and it's super bizarre looking, but after that I'm out of ideas. If you know fun leaf and bark combinations let me know! I pretty much just have boring green and brown left.

After I've seen your sweet free hand work, I think I'm going to paint vines on my elves uniforms.