Painting The Forces of Hepitude

By Hepitude, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

33 minutes ago, Adun42 said:

Amazing work...just...wow.

Ditto @docForsaken I would buy terrain.

The problem with Terrain, it takes a bit of time, the painting is easier granted, but it also has a not insignificant material cost. It burns through stuff pretty fast.

5 hours ago, docForsaken said:

I'd Venmo over some $ if you wanted to build me some terrain. Seriously. Its one side of the hobby I've yet to get into, but I love the way it looks on the table.

Haha... thank you for the compliment! While I'm definitely not opposed to doing commissions I think I'd probably charge way too much for my (very unprofessional) work since it does take a ton of time. Terrain's easy to get into though and it doesn't take much to make painted foam look good. :)

Got a lot done this break! I have some work left on the Daqan from my second core set, but the Waiqar are all finished!

Runewars Miniatures Carrion Lancer Back Runewars Miniatures Carrion Lancer Front Runewars Miniatures Reanimate Archers Front Runewars Miniatures Reanimate Archers Back

The horde makes me so happy! WAHAHAHA!

Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Horde

Ooooh! I love the horde shot over all the heads of the skeletons! Very artistic.

Here's a few more horses.

Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Front Runewars Miniatures Oathsworn Back

****, that blue and white.

Do you sleep? How do you find the time to do all this?

Great work!

So here are some odds and ends from my second core box. I'm loving the blue and white shields even though they are a fairly common pattern as far as I can tell.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Spearmen Runewars Miniatures Daqan Spearmen Army

I've also painted my second Kari. Originally I wasn't planning on painting multiple heroes, but my first Kari looked horrible due to bad conditions during the priming step that turned her fuzzy (I know, I know... it's the poor painter who blames his tools, etc.). Anyway, I finally have a Kari that I can be proud of. I've included some side by side pictures for comparison. Although the quality (apart from the fuzziness) doesn't look too much better, my speed has improved significantly.

Runewars Miniatures Kari Wraithstalker Kari Comparison Right Kari Comparison Left

I originally wasn't going to bother painting the second Ardus as my fuzzy Ardus doesn't look too bad, but then my wife wanted to try out painting so she's working on him right now. I'll post pictures when she's finished (if she lets me).

That's awesome that your wife is painting Ardus! My wife has no interest, but I've promised my two daughters that they can each do one of the infantry from each army.

The blue and white are indeed looking solid. your freehand patience is admirable, as always.

I usually like posting pictures more than one at a time, but my Stone-Choked Circle is taking longer than I expected so I included a Daqan army picture to go with the Waiqar horde.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Legion

And here's the completed Wildroot Patch. This one was really tough to design around trays (partially because I started off thinking it only fit 2 instead of 4) and I'll admit that there's definitely some troops hanging off the sides when I try to squeeze them in. I was trying to make it look like wide-spread roots from a giant tree were beginning to send up shoots. Other than the space issue I like how it turned out. Also, I used food coloring to die the leaves darker in a very time-intensive project to save money by not having to buy more colors of leaves.

Runewars MIniatures Wildroot Patch

If anyone has ideas for what to put in the burrow let me know!

Runewars Miniatures Wildroot Burrow

Here's the last bit of terrain from the Latari core set. I originally had a different plan for the Thorn-Choked Circle, but all the little bushes I made will work better for some of Meagan's terrain (although I did include one little bush).

I put mud and grass on the trays before shaving the excess away from the holes so that the figures actually fit. I've been saving the shavings though, and used them for the thorns on the boulders.

Runewars MIniatures Thorn-Choked Circle

I wanted another Lingering Dead card so I found a cheap Waiqar Reanimates Expansion on Ebay and painted them over the holidays. For Christmas I got another Latari Core Set though! I might finally have enough elves to start playing 200 point games with them.

Runewars Miniatures Reanimates Runewars MIniatures Reanimates

Edited by Hepitude

I was going to include my Latari, but I have a huge batch of archers being painted right now so I decided to keep them out of the photo. I'll post them with the Uthuk whenever I get around to buying them (and with a baby on the way who knows when I'll have money again). So here are the forces of Hepitude as they stand now.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan and Waiqar Army

On 11/01/2018 at 10:49 PM, Hepitude said:

I was going to include my Latari, but I have a huge batch of archers being painted right now so I decided to keep them out of the photo. I'll post them with the Uthuk whenever I get around to buying them (and with a baby on the way who knows when I'll have money again). So here are the forces of Hepitude as they stand now.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan and Waiqar Army

Congrats on the baby. And as for money, just get the baby into miniatures. U can then use the baby as an excuse to buy stuff

I'm getting closer to finishing my Latari units and I'd probably be done by now, but I've been having a ton of trouble color matching to the stuff I've already done. I guess that's what happens when you mix paints instead of buying the correct color. Nothing too new or exciting... I wanted to add some leaves to the scion (and I might still), but I wanted to get him playable as quickly as possible. I've been dying to get my hands on some Uthuk, but a core set of them really isn't in the budget right now unfortunately.

The Latari archers are more Japanese Maple and my attempt at the "official" color scheme which I'm saying is Oak. I'm not sure what the elf in the back rank is doing. Maybe his bowstring snapped...

Runewars Miniatures Latari Archers Runewars Miniatures Latari Archers Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Runewars MIniatures Latari Scion Runewars Miniatures Japanese Maple Latari

I'm just going to keep posting until someone tells me to stop. I know Uthuk are all the rage right now, but I'm still catching up on my Latari. My exciting buy of the last few weeks was finding a really cheap Scion expansion. I love painting scions so it was no problem getting them done. I like how they look with leaves, and might eventually add some, but so far I've painted them to look more like dead, rotting stumps.

Runewars Miniatures Latari Scion Army

I've had these darn Blue Spruce archers nearly finished for months now, but the blue I used didn't match my Meagan and I just couldn't bring myself to start over on all those dots. The blue is a little too aqua and their armor was too dark. The problem is I really liked the high contrast between armor and cloth so I eventually decided that Meagan and the other magic users are old enough that their armor and clothing has faded over time. It's a lame excuse for mismatched models, but I've been putting a lot of time into getting the baby room ready so don't have quite as much time for painting anymore (previous owner installed carpet so didn't mind spilling paint all over the wood floors beforehand).

Runewars MIniatures Blue Spruce Archers Front Runewars Miniatures Blue Spruce Archers Back

This pretty much concludes my Latari army. I have two more dog-bear-cats to finish up and a couple guys from the command expansion (also the wrong blue), but don't really need to purchase anything else at the moment. I didn't get the dog-bear-cat expansion because I really hate painting those guys (funny how Latari have my favorite and least favorite models to paint), but I got one of everything else. I'll keep an eye out for more scions of course, but now I think I can start saving up for my Uthuk core (and more crossbow and death knights).

Runewars Miniatures Latari Elven Archers

My family is coming into town this weekend, but I thought I'd finish up the Starling before I had to put all my painting stuff away.

Runewars Miniatures Latari Starling Front Runewars Miniatures Latari Starling Back

I am stealing that white armour! Uluthian Grey, washed with Nuln oil then a layer of white scar?

13 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I am stealing that white armour! Uluthian Grey, washed with Nuln oil then a layer of white scar?

I'm using Army Painter, but yes that's right (although I did white, wash, white).

On page one I actually have a step by step of these guys and all the colors are listed there if you're interested. :)

Just took a look. Interesting. I really don’t like undercoating in black for Elves myself, but it’s certainly effective for you.

I've loved all of the models for Runewars except for the Spined Thresher. Besides the obvious inconvenience of not being able to bite anything with the huge tongue claws, it didn't seem right for a desert creature to have big wet tongues hanging everywhere. Talk about a waste of water. I didn't like the head either, it reminded me too much of Jim Carrey in the Grinch.

So I did a bunch of renovation work. I cut out the tongues and carved little replacement teeth in the claws. I cut off the tail and used the tail head as the new head. I also cut the end of the tail off and then in half to use as additional pincers on the head. I cut the spines off the tail and used them for the new bone spurs on the creature's shoulders. I also sharped the claws and shaved off the nipples.

I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out, but I love the new look. It's more frightening and otherworldly, and no longer makes me think I'm just looking at a fat guy in a lot of makeup. I was also pleased I could make all the changes using only plastic from the model. If you have thoughts or suggestions on future models let me know!

Runewars Miniatures Spined Thresher Front Runewars Miniatures Spined Thresher Back

Brilliant job! I think you succeeded where FFG failed, regarding the Spined Threshers' man-in-suit syndrome.

Edited by Budgernaut

I love these model sculpts! I've painted them based on grasshoppers and they're a slightly greener version of the Spined Thresher. I like to think they maybe grow up into Spined Threshers.

Runewars Miniatures Flesh Ripper Front Runewars Miniatures Flesh Rippers Back

I’m now imagining an Uthuk mum saying “eat up your human or else Ravos will come and get you”

”awww mum....”

I have two cores worth of Uthuk to finish up, but I've also got quite a few odds and ends from my other three armies that I'm slowly getting to. I have four more knights to finish, but as soon as they're done I'll post a group photo. All the random colors look pretty amazing together.

Runewars Miniatures Daqan Knights Front Runewars Miniatures Daqan Knights Back Runewars Miniatures Daqan Crossbowmen Front Runewars Miniatures Daqan Crossbowmen Back