The Evening Lamp OOC

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

11 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Well, it says a Force power, but I guess it just depends on how you read it.

That's kind of a terrible group resources, You can have a holocron that gives everyone +ranks in 2 skills for the entirity of a campaign, a starship ....or -5 xp one time? Those are hardly comparable benefits for a group resource.

Hmm, perhaps that's correct. I think I also read it backwards, as it applies after spending starting XP. I'm not particularly concerned with it, though, as long as it's not used for upgrades.

Yeah, my understanding (and the way I've been running it with my group) is that the Mentor option reduces the cost to buy any basic Force power after initial character creation. For us, that would mean any Force power we buy with our Knight level XP or earned XP. I don't think the "a Force power" is supposed to mean "a single Force power," but rather "any Force power." But I defer to our GM. It's your "table." :)

Unless it works better for what Blackbird has in mind, I'd actually advocate for the Mentor to not be the same person who gives us our job. All we need to establish is that we all know the mentor somehow, but the Mentor could actually be off doing his or her own thing at the moment, MIA, or even dead according to the RAW. It sounds like at least two or three of us have plausible connections via relatives or previous Jedi experiences that link them to this person.

But for Zik's political exile background to remain true, the mentor would have had to discover him on Garuu. Or, if we want to pursue the idea that the Mentor brought all of us to Garuu, the Mentor could be connected to the Imperial bureaucracy or judiciary somehow, either as an Imp him/herself, or via some other means of influence. In this scenario, unbeknownst to Zik, the Mentor was the one who got Zik exiled to Garuu instead of any other planet (for reasons unknown to Zik).

Edited by SavageBob

Reading back over the thread, it sounds like we've come to Garuu for unrelated reasons, which may or may not have anything to do with our mentor. But since our arrival, we've all met one another and established a relationship with the mentor. So far, we know:

Bralane - Sent to the mentor via a Force vision from her former master, who knew the mentor as a fellow Force user

Takane - Sent to the Mentor by her grandfather, who knew the mentor to be a Force user

Zik - Either "found" by Takane and Bralane while being roughed up by street toughs and then introduced to the mentor through them, or brought to Garuu when the mentor manipulated his exile sentence to have him sent there (these two are not mutually exclusive)

Chadrik - knows the Mentor from his Jedi days and heard wind he or she was on Garuu, so came to find him/her

Kamoa - Not sure yet. Sounds like maybe he's worked as the mentor's bodyguard a bit, maybe?

Kestrel - Not sure either, but the backstory says Kestrel "followed a lead" to Garuu, and this could have been some suggestion the mentor might be there.

At any rate, these backstory elements suggest that the mentor is a benevolent figure, possibly a Jedi-in-hiding or a rogue Jedi (like Ahsoka Tano). If we go with the manipulated-sentence angle, he or she may now be married to a high-ranking Imperial (who doesn't know his or her Jedi past), or has leverage over the governor of this world in some other way. (Depends on how influential you want this mentor to be on Garuu, Blackbird.)

Edited by SavageBob

I like the idea that the Mentor is married to the governor, or otherwise embroiled in the Imperial machine. It gives a reason why they can't do the quest themselves, and why they might not be able to meet us in person very often, but can still provide subtle help on occasion by manipulating the Imperials. Don't know if that works for Blackbird, but if it does then I think we should go with it :) .

Sorry, one more post for the night, then I gotta get to sleep. :)

If the mentor is somehow tied to the governor or some other high-ranking Imperial on Garuu, that explains why they're on the world—the spouse was just stationed here, and the mentor had to go, too. When Bralane, Chadrik, and Takane showed up over time asking questions about the mentor (by their real name), the mentor-in-hiding had to quickly establish some way to interface with the newcomers in private, away from the prying eyes of the Imperial spouse. They've been able to do some training, but it's had to be hush-hush and fairly infrequently.

When the governor got a request to take in an exiled Chalactan holy man, the mentor saw that it was going to be either Garuu or Kessel. With a bit of research, or a Force vision, the mentor knew Zik might also need some training in the Force, so they manipulated the governor somehow to allow the prisoner to be sent to Garuu.

Now that leaves Kestrel and Kamoa to account for. And others should speak up if they hate the Imperial angle! :)

Since the GM has stated that we get the job after coming here, then I am fine having Kamoa meet the Mentor on one of his previous "Walk the Earth" adventures, and was contacted by the Mentor to come to Garuu, without much in the way of explanation. Considering he's already spent time letting the Force guide him to where he is needed, this isn't anything out of the ordinary for him.

Kestrel Kai is hunting the elusive and sadistic officer (ISB?) responsible for killing his family. Not the most original premise, perhaps, but the trope fits the campaign synopsis well enough. Kai is on Garuu to hunt Imps, and eat seafood, and he's almost out of... oh, good! there is an abundance of seafood to be had.

If the Mentor is involved with the Imperial presence, as has been suggested, then maybe the cruel methods used by the officer in question have caught the Mentor's attention? The Mentor could recognize that such a threat needs to be removed, but wish to provide counsel. Not looking for, or expecting the campaign to cater to my personal revenge story; but in the background, this is what has brought my PC to Garuu.

Being a big fracking blue bird-man with a lightsaber is a little conspicuous, so he generally uses a simple training stick, for more casual encounters in cities (if, say, he decided to intervene in an altercation with Imperials- which he would).

6 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I like the idea that the Mentor is married to the governor, or otherwise embroiled in the Imperial machine. It gives a reason why they can't do the quest themselves, and why they might not be able to meet us in person very often, but can still provide subtle help on occasion by manipulating the Imperials. Don't know if that works for Blackbird, but if it does then I think we should go with it :) .

Yeah, that could work.

11 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Kestrel Kai is hunting the elusive and sadistic officer (ISB?) responsible for killing his family. Not the most original premise, perhaps, but the trope fits the campaign synopsis well enough. Kai is on Garuu to hunt Imps, and eat seafood, and he's almost out of... oh, good! there is an abundance of seafood to be had.

If the Mentor is involved with the Imperial presence, as has been suggested, then maybe the cruel methods used by the officer in question have caught the Mentor's attention? The Mentor could recognize that such a threat needs to be removed, but wish to provide counsel. Not looking for, or expecting the campaign to cater to my personal revenge story; but in the background, this is what has brought my PC to Garuu.

Being a big fracking blue bird-man with a lightsaber is a little conspicuous, so he generally uses a simple training stick, for more casual encounters in cities (if, say, he decided to intervene in an altercation with Imperials- which he would).

That also works. Actually, that gives me an idea.

Weapon troubles...

My Ataru's lightsaber, is to be narratively based on the traditional Sathari diiro , essentially a very short spear like a yari. Mechanically, I'd planned on using a shoto lightsaber, with an extended (rather extended) hilt. With a Brawn of 1, a pike is not really a viable option, and the weapon isn't really that long. Technically, the extended hilt attachment is 3800 credits, but the pike hilt only 600? I had hoped for the extended hilt +1 dmg to negate the -1 from the shoto length, but not sure I can make this happen... I suppose I could change the weapon to an ancient sword/ training stick hybrid, if need be... Or could it just be a standard lightsaber, with more handle, and less blade?

Thoughts? Suggestions? GM Rulings?

Thanks.

Edited by Edgehawk

Honestly, I'm not much a fan of the extended hilt as written, and how it interacts with both the curved hilt and the shoto. You'd probably do best with a basic lightsaber, but YMMV.

6 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

Honestly, I'm not much a fan of the extended hilt as written, and how it interacts with both the curved hilt and the shoto. You'd probably do best with a basic lightsaber, but YMMV.

Okay, thanks. We'll call it a basic lightsaber, mechanically, but I will describe it as possessing a longer hilt and shorter "blade" in the fluff.

That usually works best :) . So what questions do we still have outstanding?

Now that we've decided on the who the mentor is (maybe?), do you want me to design them, or would you lot prefer to create them?

My preference is for a major NPC like this to be designed by our friendly neighborhood G(alaxy)M(aster), to maximize fun and surprise! But if that's more than you were expecting to do, I'm sure we can work something up.

Well, Disciples of Harmony has a handy mentor creator, so I don't mind. The only caveat is that you get what you're given, so some tweaks to backstory may be necessary.

Quick question for Chadrik. Is it possible for him to have some sort of blaster since waving a lightsaber all the time is a problem for him. Like I said in his backstory, he is not afraid to use it in awkward situations but being in the Outer Rim, a blaster is probably need for low-profile run-ins. He doesn't have any ranks in Ranged Light and I don't plan on using it a lot. Maybe a holdout blaster? I still have 1,000 credits from armor that has been unused.

1 minute ago, SebastianArrow said:

Quick question for Chadrik. Is it possible for him to have some sort of blaster since waving a lightsaber all the time is a problem for him. Like I said in his backstory, he is not afraid to use it in awkward situations but being in the Outer Rim, a blaster is probably need for low-profile run-ins. He doesn't have any ranks in Ranged Light and I don't plan on using it a lot. Maybe a holdout blaster? I still have 1,000 credits from armor that has been unused.

Yeah, I suppose. A holdout pistol or a slugthrower. Something light and inexpensive.

Disciples of harmony has Ezra's stun gun saber hilt. Maybe buy that?

Alas, I don't have the book. A holdout blaster will do.

Okie.

Okay, going to ask a couple of questions, and I'd like answers from everybody. Try to think of the simplest, briefest answers possible, as this is just so I can get some ideas:

• What is it that you feel like your character does best? What is their focus? In an encounter, what do they offer? Considered this both from a mechanical and a narrative angle.
  • On the flip side, what do you think is your character's biggest weakness or shortcoming?
  • What advancements or prizes would you like your character to receive? What is it that they would want?
28 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Okay, going to ask a couple of questions, and I'd like answers from everybody. Try to think of the simplest, briefest answers possible, as this is just so I can get some ideas:

• What is it that you feel like your character does best? What is their focus? In an encounter, what do they offer? Considered this both from a mechanical and a narrative angle.
  • On the flip side, what do you think is your character's biggest weakness or shortcoming?
  • What advancements or prizes would you like your character to receive? What is it that they would want?
  • Punching things, and being able to make attacks on a selected ally more difficult. His focus is unarmed combat, for the purposes of defending others, specifically whoever they have chosen to protect. That's the mechanical. Narratively, finding his purpose again in protecting others, after his failure to protect Shilarian many years ago. He doesn't have much in the way of material needs, so he rarely charges for his services, and if he does, it's usually just to cover expenses.
  • Mechanically, ranged combat and anything social. He isn't really one for gregarious activities, but he isn't a stoic recluse either. Sitting around a table, having drinks and chatting, he's fine with talking and engaging. Something more significant (ie: a social scene), he's not going to be as useful.
  • Mechanically, I really don't have much he needs, based on my concept. At most a Superior Quality set of Armored Clothing at some point would be nice. Mostly though, just XP so he can buy more talents/Force powers and improve his combat/guardian traits. Narratively, he wants to feel like he's made a difference in the galaxy. His failure weighs on him heavily, but he no longer lets it drag him down. He thinks of all the potential Shilarian had, that was lost to the galaxy, and seeks to try and help others survive long enough to make their positive mark on the galaxy. He is very much like some of the stereotypical "Wandering Monk" characters that are out there. Few belongings, little in the way of needs, but willing to use his talents where they are needed, simply because they are needed. If you mean actual tangible things they would want, things that would help him protect others would be something he'd like.
Edited by KungFuFerret
1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

Kestrel Kai is exceedingly agile, quick on the draw, and capable with his lightsaber. He closes fast with his swoop, and often swarms his opponents with attacks, and a deadly riposte as well. Outside of combat, Kai possesses the Seek force power, which could be of service to the party.

While very good on the attack, Kai is less capable of sustaining damage himself (Brawn 1, Soak 2, WT 9), and relies heavily upon his parry/reflect talents. Also, being a big-blue-bird-with-a-lightsaber could prove to be a tad conspicuous, at times.

Revenge. And seafood. Lots of seafood.

-Being an Artisan, obviously Chadrik's specialty is mechanics. He is a decent hand at computers and has quite a bit of learning from his Jedi days [Knowledge (anything)] He can patch up ships and speeders as well as being quite a decent hand at combat as long as he has a lightsaber. He can also wield a blaster in a pinch. He's not afraid to get down and dirty with anything. He's not much good for social checks. Narrative-wise he is more of a loner.

-Social checks. He usually has his mind on something so he isn't very aware of his surroundings. He's a bit of a stoic but he is not disciplined. He would rather not live with rules. He can be somewhat cold to others but once he values someone he will do all he can to help them.

-One of Chadrik's dreams is to own some sort of mechanical machine. He has eyes on speeders specifically (not that he could store it anywhere) but a ship or even a droid will make him happy. Anything mechanical. He has the head of a battle droid that he works on, but it's mainly for sentimental reasons. He has been dirt poor just surviving since Order 66 with the occasional big payout that helped him escape from the Empire. Obviously XP would be nice to level up on force powers. In the back of his mind he wants to be a Jedi but he doesn't want to follow the rules of the Order.