The Evening Lamp OOC

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Okay :) . Is the sound actually the ocean, then? If it is, I can edit my post!

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. He was running Ravenloft (at least I think it was Ravenloft), and he was describing a scene, and mentioned the sound of wolves howling in the distance. The party then spent the entire session chasing down what was essentially just descriptive text for ambiance. "If the GM describes it, it must be important! We hunt the wolves!" There was much facepalming from the GM on that. But it made for a very amusing story. :D

The mark of a great GM: did he find a way to make the hunting of the wolves introduced for ambiance an important part of the plot?

Edited by Absol197
3 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

The mark of a great GM: did he find a way to make the hunting of the wolves introduced for ambiance an important part of the plot?

It's hard to remember. This is a story from a guy I gamed with like 15 years ago, and I wasn't part of the gaming group. So it's all second hand, and my memory is shotty at best. IIRC, I don't think he made the pack important to the plot, but I think there might've been a TPK (from random encounters) out of it though. I mean it was Ravenloft, and as I understand it, death is a pretty common occurrence there. :D

It's been a while, so every fishing for information make a Streetwise, social, or knowledge skill check you think is appropriate. Let's make it easy with no modifiers (aside from weather).

Does that include my comment to Shisa about her people?

If you're trying to find someone to talk to.

And like the pilot from Firefly......

Talking people up : 2eA+1eD 0 successes
a-s-s.png a--.png d-f-f.png

That's a wash.

2 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

And like the pilot from Firefly......

Talking people up : 2eA+1eD 0 successes
a-s-s.png a--.png d-f-f.png

That's a wash.

In this case, none of the people you speak to know anything about any temple priests.

Charm Check 1eD+2eA : 3 successes, 1 threat [1eD=Th] [2eA=S/S, S]
d-th.png a-s-s.png a-s.png

I think this is actually the first successful roll Chadrik has had that isn't a combat check.

3 minutes ago, SebastianArrow said:

Charm Check 1eD+2eA : 3 successes, 1 threat [1eD=Th] [2eA=S/S, S]
d-th.png a-s-s.png a-s.png

I think this is actually the first successful roll Chadrik has had that isn't a combat check.

Any thoughts on how you want to spend that threat? If not, 1 strain.

I will make a post covering @KungFuFerret 's results.

Edited by Blackbird888

Maybe I'm not understanding the Nomads properly, but Streetwise doesn't seem right for talking with an old Ithorian about an ancient temple. I rolled Charm, but let me know if I should roll something else instead:

Charming an old Ithorian : 1eP+3eA+1eD 5 successes, 1 threat
p-s.png a-s-s.png a-s.png a-s.png d-th.png

Charm is fine, though a knowledge check is also fine.

39 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Any thoughts on how you want to spend that threat? If not, 1 strain.

I will make a post covering @KungFuFerret 's results.

Maybe it's rather obvious that Chadrik is fishing for information. He isn't the best at social norms and the nomad might pick up on it. If not, I can take the strain.

With five successes, the Ithorian apparently really likes Zik. :D For the strain, maybe the Ithorian has a strange accent, so Zik has a hard time understanding some things here and there. This could be represented by 1 Strain (him straining to understand), or in you withholding some information, whichever you'd prefer.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:41 PM, SavageBob said:

With five successes, the Ithorian apparently really likes Zik. :D For the strain, maybe the Ithorian has a strange accent, so Zik has a hard time understanding some things here and there. This could be represented by 1 Strain (him straining to understand), or in you withholding some information, whichever you'd prefer.

Strain then.

I'm good to spend the time along the road with the nomads talking about the temples. In other words, nothing else Zik wants to accomplish while we caravan with them for a bit.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, SebastianArrow said:

Maybe it's rather obvious that Chadrik is fishing for information. He isn't the best at social norms and the nomad might pick up on it. If not, I can take the strain.

Addressed this. Take 1 strain.

First thing I thought of when SebastionArrow intentionally got the Elder's name wrong.....

@SavageBob , do you want to initiate contact with the people?

10 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

@SavageBob , do you want to initiate contact with the people?

Sure. I was waiting to see if anyone else wanted to tag along, but if it's just Takane and Zik, that's fine.

So we are all close enough to hear their conversation? Not just SavageBob?

I assume everybody is in the vicinity. Probably close enough to at least observe.

Vigilance : 3eA+3eD 1 failure, 1 advantage
a--.png a-s.png a-a.png d--.png d--.png d-f-f.png

So no, he doesn't hear anything and continues to stargaze

@SavageBob : Wrong thread. The difference between detecting a lie and detecting suspicious behavior.