#L5RLive

By FFGElena, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

L5R01_L5Rlive.png

Over the months leading up to Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game, we'll be hosting a number of #L5RLive events on our Facebook Page , largely driven by your questions and comments on both the game and the lore behind it. As we publish gameplay articles, fiction pieces, art, and cards, we encourage you to ask any questions they raise either here on this thread or using #L5RLive on Twitter, and we'll try to address them in the next video. Please note that while each video will feature a specific Clan, we enthusiastically welcome general queries as well.

Thank you all for being part of this wonderful community, and we can't wait to hear your questions!

You can watch the first episode of #L5RLive here .

First, thanks for starting this thread.

One question I have: suppose I want to be able to make two 40/40 card decks of different clans to play with a friend on game night. They don't necessarily need to be good decks, just playable. How many core set boxes will I need to do that?

In a duel, who wins ties?

Ah, here we go!

As for Crane-related questions...

#1. Conflict cards right now either are neutral, or clan-aligned. Neutral cards go in every clan, we know that, while we can pay influence to splash in cards from another clan into our deck. However, one subtype of clan-aligned conflict cards have no influence shown -- the Way of the (Clan) cards. Are clan-aligned conflict cards with no influence only playable in that clan? So if you want to play Way of the Crane, you better play Crane? Or will they follow the rules for neutral conflict cards? (In short, although this isn't useful to all your audience, will Influence follow the Netrunner model of neutral vs. faction-aligned?)

#2. When Kakita Kaezin finds himself dueling the Otomo Courier (which could happen in a political conflict), what happens? The Otomo Courier has -- Military. Presumably that means it cannot be increased, being a null value. Is it an autowin for Kaezin? Does the player of the Otomo Courier still have to set their honor dial to see potential honor exchanges?

Elena - I'm going to edit this post after things are answered to try to help with bloat in this topic. I'll also try to pull my other posts into this one to consolidate.

Can I play Steward of Law during an action window before a conflict? Can I play him during a conflict in which I don't currently have an attack or defender? Could I attack, assign no one, and then play him as an action during the conflict? Can I play him during a conflict, but play him to my home?

Are there any mechanical incentives to not use your influence points to add a second Clan to your conflict deck?

Can you reveal the exact details on the mulligan mechanic (exact timing during the first turn, if we set aside then draw, then shuffle, etc)?

If an unfortunate Otomo Courtier finds itself in a military duel, what happens?

Is there an honor penalty for losing a province (or an undefended province)? It's implied in the following text, but never explained further:

"You must choose which characters will participate in the conflict, while carefully ensuring you have enough characters left to defend against your opponent, because undefended provinces are easily broken and you’ll lose honor for failing to defend your lands."

If I take control of an honored character that I do not own, who gains the honor if they have an "accident" and leave play before they are returned to their owner?

Will we get a card for Fumio, the cat? If so, will it be Crane, Scorpion, or Shadowlands aligned?

Edited by Kiseki
answered questions removed

Are there any mechanical incentives to not use your influence points to add a second Clan to your conflict deck?

Can a characters skill reach a negative value, for example if Asahina Artisan becomes dishonored? If so how does that character contribute to a conflict?

Will there be any mechanism for clans as a whole to make decisions (story impact/cards/anything else)? Kind of like how clan participation in Koteis would award points that each clan could vote how to spend. I think that generated a lot of buy-in from players back in the day!

I am concerned that my options in a duel appear to be;

• 1. Win the duel but lose honor
  • 2. Gain honor but lose the duel

How do you see this balancing out? I'd rather not lose honor for winning duels.

On the card Noble Sacrifice:

Does the term Sacrifice have any mechanical difference than discard from play (Remove from game, etc)? Or was it used specifically so you know it doesn't mean discard from hand or from a province?

Thank you.

Could we have a full explanation of swapping the Rings and/or conflicts about during the conflict phase.... in particular does this change what you are allowed to choose for next conflict type for your next attack option or is it dependent on originally chosen conflict type?

Are we going to get a rough schedule of which order of clan stuff we will see, or will it just be wait and see each 2 weeks?

And on a more general level, but very Crane centric: Was the general design intention, at least out of the core set, that most decks are intended to win via taking the stronghold as the primary win condition, with Honor or dishonor being either from an opportunistic means (Oh hey, I'm at 23 honor, and if I honor these two guys, I win during the fate phase) and also to apply pressure to your opponent (I'm at 23 honor, you can't choose to draw more than 2 cards, or I auto-win), or was there any intention of creating decks whose main method of winning was to Honor out or dishonor their opponent, and use taking provinces as a secondary means when the match-up is not ideal?

We are getting clan previews with card spoilers, the game is looking polished, and is getting overall very positive feedback (from what I have seen)......do we have a more solid date for full release other than "4th Quarter"? The "upcoming" page says the game is in development, which I'm sure is still true, but things are looking pretty finalized from what has been shown.

Some questions I have:

• Is there any chance we will get Fumio the cat as card in a future set?
  • Are the elements on province cards a deck building restriction?
  • With sincerity now on Asahina Storyteller, can we expect to see other bushido virtues also becoming leaded keywords?
  • Will the Crane eventually also see some Harrier cards?
  • Are the spouses of the Emperors in the new canon still mostly of the Crane Clan?
  • Will there orge and or oni also in the core game, since there is a long tradition for some to splice those into Crane decks.?
  • Any chance to get Kenku that are part of the Crane Clan?
  • Since it is known that there will be five special Personality cards in the core set, are those similar to the titles in A Game of Thrones?
  • Is the impression that the Crane feel somewhat like playing Blue in Magic the Gathering intentional?

So with Steward of Law does his ability that characters cannot become Dishonored while he is participating in a conflict stop you and your opponent from being able to pay any dishonor a character cost for cards?

Then to follow up on that does he just stop any characters from going from neutral to dishonorable but not honorable to neutral? Thanks

I guess another broad question. Are there any rules around location? For example, we are in a conflict, can I target someone not participating in a conflict with a bow or discard action? To play Cloud the Mind, does the Shugenja need to be at the battle? If a character is not participating in the battle, can I use their ability?

55 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

On the card Noble Sacrifice:

Does the term Sacrifice have any mechanical difference than discard from play (Remove from game, etc)? Or was it used specifically so you know it doesn't mean discard from hand or from a province?

Thank you.

In past FFG games, discard effects could be prevented by saves or other effects, unless otherwise specified. Sacrifices were part of a cost and therefore couldn't be saved against.

For example, if this game were you follow those same rules, if a character were to have Reprieve on them, which protects a character from leaving play, if I were to initiate a sacrifice effect with that character, I would still need to discard that character in order to gain the effect, even though I have a "save" available for him.

All games are not the same, but that is how FFG has handled sacrifices in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it the same way here as well.

Questions:

What is the next clan to get a fiction and preview?

And, if possible, can we get the planned order of release of these previews? :D

At Gencon, for the inaugural tournament, is the deck building going to be similar to the king slayer tournament of Thrones, where you get to combine any 2 clans, ignoring loyalty/influence costs, due to having only 1 core box?

And for the main event on Friday, is it back to normal, as people have had a day and a half to get their core sets from the booth? Or will it still be in the "1 core box" deck building format?

This is a question more for down the road, but will "deluxe boxes" be clan centric? In Thrones, deluxe boxes had mostly one faction and then 2 cards for each other faction, as a way to flesh out certain factions' underdeveloped themes. Is that how it will go in this game, or will it be more along the lines of the events of the storyline?

We've heard that Cavalry won't do what it did in the old game but will, instead, be a trait that certain cards will require in order to trigger. Is that the same for Duelist? Or does having the duelist trait benefit the character in duels somehow? For example, by winning ties or something along those lines? If not, are there going to be any traits that lend to gameplay, or will they be used purely for pre-requisites to other cards that target or affect those traited characters?

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati

Which of the Gen Con tournaments is the storyline event, Thursday or Friday?

35 minutes ago, Drudenfusz said:
  • Is there any chance we will get Fumio the cat as card in a future set?
  • Since it is known that there will be five special Personality cards in the core set, are those similar to the titles in A Game of Thrones?

I totally support the first question of this quote. Along the second one, are those 5 Personality cards something like Winds in the CCG?

1 hour ago, Mirith said:

Are we going to get a rough schedule of which order of clan stuff we will see, or will it just be wait and see each 2 weeks?

So much this one.

And more questions:

• Is the flavor text on Doji Hotaru's card about a game of go with Bayushi Kachiko?
  • Like others here I am curious about the preview order, but I also would like to know the reasoning for that order.
  • Is Kakita Asami a reference to the character of the same name in the first Edition of the RPG?
  • Will we see Shukujo or the ancestral swords of other clans eventually?
  • With iaijutsu duels being military, how can the reputation of the crane explained? since it feels like Lion will have better stats in that regard.
  • Could games of Sadane or games of Go be political duels?
  • Since Toshimoko had been somewhat of a surrogate father to Hoturi, but with the gender of Hotaru it feels like their dynamic would be different, when can we expect to see more about how these to relate now to each other?
  • Will there be prizes for cosplay, best of clan, theme decks and all those things in teh future?
  • Will there a way to make card suggestions?
  • If FFG reworks the RPG, is there any chance that they might use Fortunes and Winds dice for that game?

Will FFG consider , at some point, expanding the IP into a game like Dune/Rex?

Will cards with bamboo icons (Influence) be always of the Conflict card type or are the designers open to use the Influence system into Dinasty cards, even if not that often, maybe rarely?

Will card previews stay after release or once the game releases, news/previews go back to usual news schedule for FFG? And stories?

" Why am I not in the Core set, Ostrander-sama? :( " - Doji Shizue, storyteller extraordinaire.

Will FFG translate or support the translation of the web fictions or will those who do not speak/read english have to depend on nice volunteers?*

* at this point in time, the Crane fiction has no official translation back at fantasyflightgames.es

Three things I'd like to ask:

1/ Can you put conflicts cards from only one other clan or can you mix cards from any clans, as long as it's within your influence limit?

2/ Are we going to see corruption/taint in the game?

3/ For cards like the Asahina Storyteller, does his effect affect cards only when he is played (giving them sincerity) or does it means that every character will gain sincerity when they are honored as long as he is in play?

I love how the Crane has similarities to how Stark in AGOT 2.0 function, straight up and no tricks, just what you see is what you get.

1) One of the Crane cards, 'Steward of Law' has an ability that functions during conflict, my question is, could I 'ambush' (or bring into play) the 'Steward of Law' before declaring a conflict? Or can I bring characters from my conflict deck only during conflicts?
2) Characters that are 'ambushed' (put into play) during a conflict considered to be automatically participating in a conflict? Would there be any situations where a character comes into play during a conflict that is not/cannot participate in the current conflict?
3) Doji Hotaru costs 5, which assuming ceteris paribus (other things equal) means that there will be only 2 fate left to utilize during the marshaling phase; in the designer's opinion, would you use the other 2 fate to try to bring more characters into play or put that 2 fate on Doji Hotaru in an effort to keep her in play for a longer period of time?
4) Using a Crane card like 'Noble Sacrifice' forces you to sacrifice a character to discard another, can you use fate to 'save' from a discard effect? (Similar to how dupes work in AGOT 2.0)

How many of each card will be in the starter set? Will it generally be 1 of each?