Enemy Beyond Expansion

By fog1234, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

If this isn't the last book I'll be very surprised. After the success of Star Wars it feels like FFG has been treating the 40k RPGs as that annoying middle child who wants attention from its parents, but they're ignoring it/getting annoyed because they want to give attention to the new baby... who also spits out money when it barfs- which is where the analogy breaks down rapidly. Anyway.

Only War flat lined after two splats. The exclusion of Storm Troopers/Commissars/Psykers from Shield of Humanity screamed that it was getting another book. Its almost been two years now. Also, it never received a Spinward Front splat, though Enemies of the Imperium arguably covered that.

Black Crusade actually received its final tome to the shock of pretty much everybody, only to have Unaligned content awkwardly stapled onto it. I'm sure the defenders will say 'b-b-but what if that was always the plan?' but to the cynic in me it just felt off.

With the Dark Heresy 2E supplements coming out... surprisingly quickly, coupled with a total lack of news on releases post-Enemies Beyond (Askellon splat, Bestiary, Adventures) as well as the 'death' of every other 40k line I'm putting my money on this being the last one. Hopefully I'm wrong and Enemies Beyond's rapid release is just a case of inconsistent and coincidental development timings.

Edited by Arbitrator

Are you sure the timeline of releases wasn't affected by the Longshoremen and Dockworker strike on the west coast? I know over on the SWRPG line of products we had almost 2 months of no releases (or status changes i.e. things "On the Boat" since early July) and then as soon as the strike ended we had like 3-4 books shipping and 2 more announced and immediately on the boat.

Edited by BigSpoon

I really hope that Enemies Beyond won't be the last book for DH2. I really love the system and can always use more content. However, even if it is the last book for DH2 I still want to see RT2 and DW2 so those gamelines get updated. It would really break my heart to see otherwise, as my group has had a long running multi-line campaign going off and on for the past several years, and in the "season finale" where all of the lines intercepted we really had some issues with some aspects of the older games. To see them updated would be great and would definitely lighten my wallet.

That's kind of why I have trying to generate posts and interest in this the DH2 board. So that FFG sees that there are people who want to play and like the game. SW Rebel has 800+ topics and Edge has 5000+ while DH2 only has 600+.

Nice stuff.

I am eager to get my copy of this book. If it is the same quality as ennemy without, it will be awesome.

I am already enamoured by Daemonology; the Dark Pacts are just icing on the cake... This should be out by the time I take my game back over (a buddy is going to run a short campaign for a month or two), so I can have a proper Daemonic threat when they return to Juno!

I mean, this gives me a good excuse to toss psykers at my Ordo Xenos players so I can take advantage of my possessed dice! I rolled six 66s in a single night; one of those was a 66 to hit with 6+6+6 damage with 6 armor pen. Last Sunday had me roll four 77s, a bunch of 44s, 33s, 11s... I think I roll doubles with my GM dice more often than I roll non-doubles, some days.

Sounds like some great stuff in the next book, was very happy with enemies without and I'm hoping this quality of work continues.

I notice they still haven't announced new Roles. Any guesses as to what we're going to get this time around?

In theory this would be the time when they would reintroduce Grey Knights for this edition. I'm hoping we don't go quite that far, but we could still use some form of melee Psyker or Gish sort of role (but it defs does not need to be a space marine!).

I can also see this used in a Black Crusade game for non-psyker players to get some unholy powers.

Sounds like some great stuff in the next book, was very happy with enemies without and I'm hoping this quality of work continues.

I notice they still haven't announced new Roles. Any guesses as to what we're going to get this time around?

In theory this would be the time when they would reintroduce Grey Knights for this edition. I'm hoping we don't go quite that far, but we could still use some form of melee Psyker or Gish sort of role (but it defs does not need to be a space marine!).

They introduced Gray Knights as a reinforcement character, I wouldn't like to see one as a pc though.

They introduced Gray Knights as a reinforcement character, I wouldn't like to see one as a pc though.

I'm very much in agreement. I think we should leave space marines as reinforcement characters unless we're playing a game specifically made and tailored to them.

In any case, I'm really excited to learn some Sanctic Daemonology. In the Ordo Chronos game that recently went on break we ended up fighting a Keeper of Secrets in the final act, and knowing such skills would have been very much to our advantage. As for Malefic Daemonology and Dark Pacts.... No Emperor loving servant of the Imperium would ever use such a thing, right? They must surely be studied, so that we know how to combat such sorcery!

>_>

<_<

Nice, anyone got any idea how long it takes typically from the "shipping now" until it can be purchased?

7-10 days they say. In fact it's up to two weeks sometimes. Digital versions are sold after a month after a physical release.

Since it looks like I'm getting back into 40k RPG GMing then I would think that I'll have to get these books sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to this one but I also hope that this isn't the final DH2 product we will see. Do the devs generally announce when the line is coming to an end?

No, that way you can live in hope and buy what they do have out.

So things will likely just go quiet for months? Such despair will drive me into the arms of Nurgle. :(

Maybe they'll bring out the final book for Only War now. ^_^

Considering the size of the 1e Dark Heresy Line, I dearly hope to see FFG at least try and match it. However, with the Stars Wars RPGs seemingly getting an unending about of expansions I don't see that happening. We can hope though!

Considering the size of the 1e Dark Heresy Line, I dearly hope to see FFG at least try and match it. However, with the Stars Wars RPGs seemingly getting an unending about of expansions I don't see that happening. We can hope though!

At least on the main page, showing the 8 news slots, Star Wars CURRENTLY doesn't hold 4+ slots, unlike the past months. ^_^

Yeah, I really hope their interest in 40k will pick up a bit again. Just a bit tired of seeing all the Star Wars stuff, I like the 40k setting so much more.

Edited by Gridash

I also love WH40k and would love to see at least 2-3 more publications after enemies beyond before the line is finished (especially books about the sector, a bestiary and a book about the various Adepta would be nice, maybe even a new adventure book ?). The line would really deserve it.

I don't think it would make much sense to make a second editions of all lines, as Black Crusade and Only War are quite up to date still.

Regarding Rogue Trader, I was never a big fan of separating it from Dark Heresy rules-wise, as it has great similarities in the power level, enemies etc. - it could be sufficient to make 1 Dark Heresy 2 expansion that focusses on Rogue Traders and void ships (incl. void ship combat). It would be an elegant way to merge the lines.

Deathwatch would be the only one, which I'd personally would like to see a second edition of.

Agreed, Deathwatch is the only line that's desperately outdated and can't really be approximated by any of the 2nd Edition lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rogue Trader either as a Second Edition or as a large expansion. I just want something that fills in that space so that my group and I can eventually go back to our long running cross-game campaign with fully 2nd edition rules. Same for Deathwatch. I don't necessarily need or want whole new sectors or anything like that, just the rules and updates for those systems. Give me the ability to create new characters that fill in the roles of a Rogue Trader's retinue or Deathwatch kill team, as well as weapons, armor, and enemies to do battle with and I'm satisfied.