Index of Useful Links

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The purpose of this thread is to provide a knowledge base of sorts for the game Descent 2nd Edition (D2e). Within this original post, I intend on maintaining a "living" document which will contain links to pertinent information for D2e.

Hopefully, over time, and with the community's assistance, we will have a resource that can assist in answering questions that are typically asked by new users, as well as provide an information database for those of us with extensive experience in the game.

I want to extend a big thank you to FFGEvan for his assistance in getting this thread "pinned". This should make it easy for everyone (new and experienced) users to find.

I will get the ball rolling by creating links to information that I have frequently referenced. If you have additional resources you would like to see within the original post, please reply and provide that information, and I will make sure it gets placed in the proper section.

General
Forum Rules - General guidelines, principles, and rules for using the forum

Expansions
Base Game
Conversion Kit - Converts D1e Heroes & Monsters to D2e
Dice Pack

Lair of the Wyrm - Small Box Expansion
Labyrinth of Ruin - Large Box Expansion
The Trollfens - Small Box Expansion
Shadow of Nerekhall - Large Box Expansion
Manor of Ravens - Small Box Expansion
Mists of Bilehall - Small Box Expansion
The Chains That Rust - Small Box Expansion

Splig - Base Game Lieutenant
Belthir - Base Game Lieutenant
Zacareth - Base Game Lieutenant
Alric Farrow - Base Game Lieutenant
Merick Farrow - Base Game Lieutenant
Eliza Farrow - Base Game Lieutenant
Valyndra - Lair of the Wyrm Lieutenant
Raythen - Labyrinth of Ruin Lieutenant
Serena - Labyrinth of Ruin Lieutenant
Ariad - Labyrinth of Ruin Lieutenant
Queen Ariad - Labyrinth of Ruin Lieutenant
Bol'goreth - The Trollfens Lieutenant
Rylan Olliven - Shadow of Nerekhall Lieutenant
Verminous - Shadow of Nerekhall Lieutenant
Tristayne Olliven - Shadow of Nerekhall Lieutenant
Gargan Mirklace - Shadow of Nerekhall Lieutenant
Skarn - Manor of Ravens Lieutenant
Kyndrithul - Mists of Bilehall Lieutenant
Zarihell - Mists of Bilehall Lieutenant
Ardus Ix'erebus - Mists of Bilehall Lieutenant

Oath of the Outcast - Hero & Monster Collection
Crown of Destiny - Hero & Monster Collection
Crusade of the Forgotten - Hero & Monster Collection
Guardians of Deephall - Hero & Monster Collection
Visions of Dawn - Hero & Monster Collection
Bonds of the Wild - Hero & Monster Collection
Treaty of Champions - Hero & Monster Collection
Stewards of the Secret - Hero & Monster Collection
Shards of Everdark - Hero & Monster Collection

Forgotten Souls - Co-Op Adventure
Nature's Ire - Co-Op Adventure
Dark Elements - Co-Op Adventure

Heirs of Blood - Campaign Book

Lost Legends - Card pack expansion to include all missing classes (Mage, Healer, Hybrid)

Apps
Road to Legend
IOS Version
Android Version
Steam Version

Chrome Extensions
D2e Card Viewer by any2cards - Extension for Chrome which auto-displays D2e cards

Game Rules
Descent Journeys in the Dark Second Edition - PDF containing the rules for the base game
Lair of the Wyrm - PDF containing the rules for expansion #1 Lair of the Wyrm (small box expansion)
Labyrinth of Ruin - PDF containing the rules for expansion #2 Labyrinth of Ruin (big box expansion)
The Trollfens - PDF containing the rules for expansion #3 The Trollfens (small box expansion)
Shadow of Nerekhall - PDF containing the rules for expansion #4 Shadow of Nerekhall (big box expansion)
Manor of Ravens - PDF containing the rules for expansion #5 Manor of Ravens (small box expansion)
Mists of Bilehall - PDF containing the rules for expansion #6 Mists of Bilehall (small box expansion)

Road To Legend - PDF containing the rules for the app Road To Legend

Lieutenant Packs - PDF containing the rules for all Lieutenant Packs. Includes rules for Plot Cards, Threat, and Fortune

Forgotten Souls - PDF containing the rules for the co-op automated Overlord adventure #1 Forgotten Souls.
Nature's Ire - PDF containing the rules for the co-op automated Overlord adventure #2 Nature's Ire.
Dark Elements - PDF containing the rules for the co-op automated Overlord adventure #3 Dark Elements.

FAQ & Other Helpful Documents
FAQ v1.6 - FFG's Official Frequently Asked Questions document, and should be used as a supplement to the rules for each expansion
FFG Sez Unofficial FFG FAQ - Contains a list of user questions with answers provided by FFG, but have yet to make it into the FAQ
FFG Sez Unofficial FFG FAQ - Searchable Wiki - Similar to the above, but searchable
Community Rules Reference Guide

FFG Tools & Game Aids
Mini-Site - Descent 2nd Edition mini-site which provides complete details about the game, products, support, etc.
Quest Vault - FFG provided software which allows you to create custom quests for Descent 2nd Edition
Movie Trailer - MOV file which shows an overview for the game Descent 2nd Edition
The Shadow Rune Quest Pad - PDF for the base game's campaign log.
Heirs of Blood Campaign Log - PDF for the book expansion Heirs of Blood's campaign log.

Community Tools & Game Aids
Glossary of Terms by Zaltyre - Definitions for critical terms used within the game. It supplements the rules and FAQ
Guide To Range and LOS by Zaltyre - Definitions for Range and LOS used within the game. It supplements the rules and FAQ
D2e Campaign Flow by any2cards - Word document detailing info on all Campaign Steps
D2e Card Sleeve Info by any2cards - Word document detailing info on sleeves sizes for all cards
D2e Conditions by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all conditions
D2e Dice Summary by any2cards - Word document detailing info on all dice utilized within the game
D2e Expansion Image Icons by any2cards - Word document detailing info on all expansion image icons
D2e Expansion Info by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info about all expansions
D2e Hero RNG by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet which can provide random groups of heroes
D2e Lieutenant-Agent-Ally Stats by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all Lts, Agents, Allies
D2e Monsters and Traits by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all monsters & traits
D2e Monsters and Traits Interactive by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all monsters & traits
D2e Proof of Purchase by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all proof of purchase codes for all expansions
D2e Rule Priority Order by any2cards - Word document detailing the rule priority order for game play
D2e Shop Items by any2cards - Excel spreadsheet detailing info on all shop items
Guide to Overlord Cards by Indalecio - Detailed guide to all Overlord Cards
Guide to Lieutenant Plot Decks by Indalecio - Detailed guide to all Lieutenant Plot Decks
Campaign Tracker for Descent 2nd Edition by Atom4geVampire - Unofficial Campaign Tracker for Descent 2nd Edition
Descent Damage Calculator by HavocDreams - Excel spreadsheet which calculates expected damage based on criteria entered
Damage Descent Calculator by Chaoticus - Web page which calculates expected damage based on criteria entered
Valkyrie by BruceLGL - An open alternative to the Road To Legend app with a Quest Editor
Tiles List by Quest by DerDelphi - A list of all tiles used by quest
D2e Custom Hero Creator - A web based tool that allows you to create official looking custom hero cards

Wikipedia
D2e Wiki - Original Wiki for D2e which provides a lot of information for the game.
D2e Community Wiki - Updated Wiki designed by Psymia for D2e which provides a lot of information for the game.

Community Opinions - Threads which discuss what expansions to buy in what order.
Which Big Box Expansion?
Expansion Order?
What to Buy?
Suggestions on Where to Start
What expansions to get first?
Hero Party Analysis

Painting / Painted Minis - Threads which discuss and/or show painted minis for Descent 2nd Edition
paintin' stuff by Antizombie
Descent 2nd Edition, glad I took the plunge. All painted! by bulldoguk
My painted heroes by Prodigal Player
Prepping minis for painting by Rophan
Painted Mirklace , Verminous , Tristayne Ollivan, and Ironbound by stver7804
Painted Queen Ariad (front & back images) by stver7804
Painted Models (Image heavy thread) by Engrimm
My painted Giant s from Crown of Destiny by keschnell
My Painted Descent Minis by darkstarminis
Another descent mini painting thread! by uppTagg
My painted Minis by jonboyjon1990
Painted Crypt Dragon from Guardians of Deephall by keschnell
More painted minis by Kanludar
My painted figures by Atom4geVampire/
Descent 2E Painting Blog by ozDarchangel
Sorastro Painting You Tube Channel by mattflow
Anyone up for seeing some Painted Miniatures? Click here. by Styfen
Yet another "My Painted Figures" post by palleon

Storage Solutions - Threads which discuss and/or show storage/transportation solutions for Descent 2nd Edition
KR multicase for storing/transporting your Descent figures by bulldoguk
Box for cards by ameria
Storage by jjenkins
Descent storage solutions by Zogwort
Thinking about purchasing all the Hero /Monster packs... by gameboymaster01
Storage and organization of tiles by Lifer4700
How to Store Your Descent by NobleSeven
Descent second edition + expansions storage solution by JTSleep

Community Game Variants - Threads which discuss and provide alternate play variations for Descent 2nd Edition
Variant "delving" play-mode more like 1E by Madmartigan
Descent Solo/Coop: Nerdook's Variant 2.0 by nerdook
Descent Automated Overlord: The D6 Variant by nerdook
AI Overlord? by Tyberalyx
BJZSN's Arena Variant (Team Vs. Team) by BJZSN
Redjak's Automated Overlord Variant (RAOV) by RedJak7
BJZSNS Waves of Mutilation by BJZSN
BoardGameGeek (BGG) List of Variants - Co-Ops, Automated OL, & Others
RogueLike Variant by DiegoZap

Community Campaigns & Quests - Threads which discuss and provide additional campaigns & quests for Descent 2nd Edition
Campaigns
The Legacy of Timmorran by Zaltyre
Weapons of War - Mini Campaign by Zaltyre
The Silken Threads by Morthai
The Ascension of Margath by Rugal
Oath of the Anvil by Rugal
Elements Demise by Brutalien (BGG)

Quests
The Ritual of Immortality by BuBu
The Runied Mine by Draconic Lord
Dungeon of Death by AceCaldwell
Burying of Burden by Kringler
The Dragon's Den by Kyrsa

Community Custom Content - Threads which discuss and provide additional custom content for Descent 2nd Edition
BJZSN's Custom Classes
Morthai's Custom Classes
Morthai's Custom Search Decks
Morthai's Custom Familiars, Items, Search Cards, Class Cards, and Fonts
Jopan's Custom Hero Creator
Piligrim's Custom Hero Sheet Template
Rugal's Dark Forest
seeman8813's Terrinoth Expanded Project
any2card's D2e Card Templates & Assets

Proxies for D2e Tokens - Suggestions for Proxies for D2e Tokens

General Proxy Items from Shapeways

Archers
Archers
Brightblaze
Brightblaze #1 - 2nd from right
Brightblaze #2 - 1st from right
Cardinal
Cardinal - For Cardinal's Plight
Gryvorn
Gryvorn - The Shadow Rune Finale
Guard s
Guard s
Miners
Miners - For Miners in LotW
Pico - Not strictly necessary as mini does not go on game board
Pico #1 - 2nd from right
Pico #2 - 3rd from right
Raven Flock
Raven Flock
Reanimate
Reanimate #1
Reanimate #2
Reanimate #3
Reanimate #4
Reanimate #5
Shadow Soul - Not strictly necessary as other figures allowed in same space
Shadow Soul
Skye
Skye #1 - 2nd from left
Skye #2 - 2nd from right
Summoned Stone s
Summoned Stone s #1
Summoned Stone s #2
Summoned Stone s #3
Tyrus - For Tyrus in HoB
Tyrus #1
Tyrus #2
Villagers
Villagers #1
Villagers #2
Wolf
Wolf #1
Wolf #2 - 3rd from left
Wolf #3

*********************************************************************************************
Questions & Answers

General Game Play
1. How many heroes should I play for the most balanced Campaign/Mini-Campaign/individual quest
game experience?

a. 2 Heroes generally favors the Overlord
b. 3 Heroes generally favors the Heroes
c. 4 Heroes are considered by most to be the best game balance

2. How many heroes should I play for the most balanced Co-Op game experience?

a. 2 Heroes generally favors the Heroes (in other words, it is the easiest to win)
b. 3 Heroes are considered by most to be the best game balance
c. 4 Heroes generally favors the Co-Op (in other words, it is the hardest to win)

Expansions
1. What is the difference between the various expansions available for Descent 2nd Edition?

a. You can find out if a specific expansion is a big box, small box, co-op etc. in the section above titled Game Rules.
b. All of the box expansions generally come with some additional figures (heroes and monsters). In addition, they
all come with additional cards which may contain hero sheets, monster cards, class cards, shop item cards,
condition cards, search item cards, relic cards, map tiles, etc. In general, the big box expansions have more of
all of the above than the small box expansions.
c. The main additional feature that the big box expansions provide is that they contain an entirely new campaign.
In addition, some contain a new green power die. For this reason, many consider them to be the best bang for
your buck.
d. The main additional feature that the small box expansions provide is that they contain new game mechanics
such as Rumors, Advanced Quests, Secret Rooms, etc.
e. Lieutenant Packs add additional functionality for the Overlord. They provide a figure for each of the lieutenants
(which many like better than the base game's tokens). In addition, they introduce the game mechanic of Plot
Cards, Threat, and Fortune.
f. The co-op expansions introduce a new mechanic of the automated Overlord. This allows everyone to play as
heroes, cooperatively, against an automated Overlord. In addition, it can allow you to play solo.
h. The book expansions only provide a brand new campaign. Many, however, think that these campaigns are
some of the best available, as FFG only had to concentrate on the creative side of the campaign itself, rather
than also having to generate pieces/parts. The book expansions also contain additional lore and fluff of
Terrinoth that many find to be enjoyable.

Edited by any2cards

[Reserved]

Edited by any2cards

I added a Community Opinions Section today. I plan on going through the forum and collecting threads of major topics repeatedly posted over time such as:

What to Buy?

Painting Minis

Storage / Tile Organization

Monster Combos

Variants

Any other thoughts, please let me know.

Edited by any2cards

"What to buy" is a great thing to add. Perhaps in the FAQ section a link to the "FFG Sez" unofficial faq wiki on BGG might be helpful.

Cejel wrote me a PM, and made several excellent suggestions concerning the Useful Links post above.

I went ahead and modified the FFG Tools and Game Aids by removing community created aids and placed them in a new section called Community Tools and Game Aids. In addition, rather than posting a link to the thread in the forum for my game aids, I created direct links for them to the dropbox within which they exist.

In addition, I reformatted some of the game aids I created so that several documents are now combined into a single document.

While all of my home grown tools have made the game far easier for me to manage, some of you may find the document titled "Descent 2nd Edition Expansion Info of particular interest, as it now combines into a single document, broken down by expansion, information for all of the heroes, monsters, lieutenants, allies, cards, tile sets, etc.

Edited by any2cards

At the end of the original post above, I have created a section called Questions & Answers . My intention for this section is to place questions that are asked many times in this forum, but are not specifically addressed by the FAQ, often because they are more subjective questions.

The answers provided are those that seem to be the most accepted by this community.

If you have additional questions/answers that you feel would be a good addition, please let me know and I will add them. Ultimately, this can become a resource to which we can point people, rather than having to answer them over and over.

It would be nice if you could give a short explanation what each documents contains. Especially the FAQ/Errata section is in my opinion not self explaining.

@Funkfried ... I have added descriptions to all of the entries.

In addition, I added a new question and answer under the Q&A section detailing what each type of expansion brings/adds to the game, as this has been asked repeatedly by many.

Nice work!

Nice job! Thanks for putting this all together. It should come in very handy.

I added a new Community Tools & Game Aids link today.

It is called Descent 2nd Edition Conditions, and is an Excel spreadsheet which provides extensive detail concerning Conditions. Basically, it attempts to identify all monsters, lieutenants, agents, allies, heroes, hero abilities, heroic feats, classes, shop items, etc. that can generate conditions.

This allows me, as an OL for example, to consider what monsters I may want to deploy based on the conditions they can deal. Or as a hero, what classes/items I may want to acquire based on the conditions they can deal.

This was inspired by a request from Atom4geVampire for the tracking website he is developing.

Edited by any2cards

This index is fantastic and SOOOO helpful for someone going all in on Descent. Thank you!

I created a new section called Proxies for D2e Tokens .

I have been searching for replacements for my familiar tokens, villager tokens, guard tokens, etc. Essentially, I want to have minis for all of the tokens used within D2e.

While searching, I noticed that many others have expressed the same interest, and some have gone as far as to actually find suitable minis.

After scouring FFG and BGG, I have compiled a list of interesting substitutes and included them within this section so that others could have a starting point, and not have to do all the searching.

Some of the minis come pre-painted, and some do not.

I have yet to find any links or sources on my own for good replacements for the Guard/Militia tokens. If anyone has any ideas or are using something they found, please share.

In addition, if you are using replacement minis for which I have not provided images, please share a link for where they can be acquired.

Since I am typing all of this from a location separate from my D2e materials, I may have actually missed some tokens, as I am doing this from memory. Eventually, I will edit this and group all of this by expansion.

Edited by any2cards

I have yet to find any links or sources on my own for good replacements for the Guard/Militia tokens. If anyone has any ideas or are using something they found, please share.

In addition, if you are using replacement minis for which I have not provided images, please share a link for where they can be acquired.

You forgot the Summoned Stones 3d printed:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/PQPLHMR6X/summoned-stone-tokens-3-pcs?li=search-results-1&optionId=56341627

Also, for the guards/militia i use 5 copies of 1st edition Trenloe the Strong and 4 copies of 1st edition Hawthorne, just if different models are needed as in the SoN "civil war" encounter. The old mini are so different from the new ones to be easily used as proxies (the old Trenloe is a perfect guard, he is just kneeling before Lord Daeron :) ). Many pieces of the 1st edition may be used as proxies, in example the old Brother Gherin is a perfect Cardinal in the "cardinal plight" encounter.

You already have the original Brightblaze familiar model: simply cut the small dragon from the 1st edition Challara mini and Mount it on a small round base.

Edited by fulvio67

While all of my home grown tools have made the game far easier for me to manage, some of you may find the document titled "Descent 2nd Edition Expansion Info of particular interest, as it now combines into a single document, broken down by expansion, information for all of the heroes, monsters, lieutenants, allies, cards, tile sets, etc.

Link for this appears to be broken?

Link for this appears to be broken?

Thank you for pointing this out. Not sure what happened here, but it is fixed now.

I added a new section called Expansions which provides links to all of the expansions, and provides a description of what type of expansion it is.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting together this awesome list. Very usefull.

+10 xp

+1000 gold

+2 hp

-you are now imune to poison-

Just wanted to say thanks for putting together this awesome list. Very usefull.

+10 xp

+1000 gold

+2 hp

-you are now imune to poison-

You are most welcome. Now to decide how to spend my new found loot !!!

FYI ... I finally got around to updating the following documents to reflect Bonds of the Wild information:

Descent 2nd Edition Expansion Info

Descent 2nd Edition Monsters and Traits

The link to the documents can be found in the original post, under the section titled Community Tools & Game Aids

I added links for Treaty of Champions and Stewards of the Secret to the Heroes & Monster collections.

Under the section: Community Tools & Game Aids, I added a new word document called Descent 2nd Edition Campaign Flow.

The purpose of this document is basically a memory aid. It lists all of the major events that occurs in a standard campaign. It can be frustrating at times to comb through the rule book to make certain you aren't missing any steps, forget to do things, etc.

This document places all of the information in one place. In addition, it includes information and clarifications from Zaltyre as well as various FFG employees as to the proper flow of the campaign.

For newbies I've found this awesome Descent "cheat sheets" on Reddit. You can probably print them out and use them pretty handily for players who are new to the game (or after a longer break).

http://imgur.com/a/oRWsY