After much waiting, the work begins...

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

se3_adv_example.jpg

Slowly... :)

ooo this makes me very happy :)

Quick question. Will there be support for all currently available expansions? like Netherdeck cards? (drools into lap) :lol:

Keep up the good work Jon, we love you for it! :D

The plan is to have most things, as per the other iteration. Sadly, I doubt very much whether it will be backwards compatible with the older version of the plugin as things will be presented a little differently.

You can still have two copies of SE with two plugins though if you really want to!

Well, I can't begin to express my adulation! I have a few projects I was trying to get off the ground but its a bit of a slog working through Photoshop and such. It works fine but its laborious. Excellent! Well done, and thank you sir!

I had a couple of questions if your feeling generous?

First question. Do you think you'll be adding anything new into the version 3 template; Strange Eons version 3 seems more feature rich and would be primed for some "next level" stuff.

Second, will you be adding the ability to add in your own custom card backings for home grown (or drawn) content?

I don't want to get ahead of you, I'm just enthusiastic!

There's nothing earth-shattering planned just yet. It'll be a triumph just to get it out there after all this time.

If you mean custom backs, you can already do that, though I suspect you mean custom templates.

That is something I will have to ponder, but I think it is possible somehow.

It won't be in the first iteration though probably...

Thank you. I choose my words poorly. You are absolutely correct I meant templates; sorry mental fart.

I would also agree with first getting things out into the wilds first is the best approach.

So I'm going off on a pair of tangents for a moment so please forgive me but again excitement and momentum is something I normally encourage; I don't want it to come off as pushy.

Now I can't speak for anyone beyond myself, but I certainly would be willing to put some cycles into a project like this. Now I know its probably very early days but having driven many a project in IT I have come to realize that not everyone can be everything to everyone. In short seek assistance or expertise where you can. Have you considered putting out a call for content, home grown artwork or programming assistance? It's not meant to be disrespectful to anyone or anything its just a round about way of asking if you need assistance? I for one would be willing to put in some effort.

I know you've also gone with a 0 cost on the software. Have you ever considered a minimal cost or even a Kickstarter for just the software itself? I can still see the plug-ins being free to help avoid any copy write issues, but I know you probably have a day job (like the rest of us) and its more a hobby than anything else.

Wow. Reading this back to myself I'm getting that feeling like I've stayed too long after a dinner party.

So thank you, look forward to anything you have time for, and no matter what it is we'll love it.

TTFN.

Just a small update to say that work is continuing very slowly, but I have added a few bits and pieces, but it is still going to be a while before it is in any state to make a release.

In the mean time I have a question to ask about "Required Expansion Icons"...

As you will know, cards like Trap Door in The Dungeon expansion use a "Required Expansion Icon" to show that the card needs to have The Dungeon expansion in play to actually use it.

However, not all cards that appear in Talisman use those and therefore not all templates have the artwork to show this. In the past I have cobbled together a bit of artwork to compensate, like for Treasure cards, but there are a lot more card types that would need something adding and I wondered if there was an easier way, especially one that does not obscure some of the artwork (which is generally quite small to start with!)

One idea I had was to add an icon under the card text so that people would be in no doubt that a particular expansion was required when reading it, and I think it does not detract from the text too much.

I'll post an example below and wanted to hear some opinions on it.

One thing to bear in mind is that the less graphic work I have to shoehorn in to this project, the quicker it might actually be.

se3_required_expansion.jpg

Thoughts?

I quite do like the icon in there. I think I definitely would use it as an expansion icon rather than required icon (that pretty much tells nothing important).

To be honest, I like it as the Expansion Icon too, but what would you use for a Required Expansion Icon in that case?

Perhaps an icon up in the card title box?

Edited by talismanisland

but what would you use for a Required Expansion Icon in that case?

To be honest, nothing. people who create their own cards don't really need a Required Icon, because they themselves know what expansion these cards need to use. And people who download expansions created by others probably also will use all of the cards, or at least they will need to read all of the cards before they will add them to their decks so they will know which cards require expansion they are not using.

Finally there always is the official expansion icon. It also can be used as a required expansion icon if really needed.

I agree really, as the Required Expansion is barely used as it is and I actually had to make one up for characters and endings in the last version.

FFG is happy enough to add text to its expansion-specific endings, so I don't see why it can't be used for other cards. Most of the time it should be obvious anyway, and in practice I do not separate the cards out if I am not using an expansion. If I draw one, I just discard it and draw another.

Here's an example card using the "under text" icon as an Expansion Icon and getting rid of the standard area for the icon.

I must say I rather like it...

se3_expansion_icon.jpg

I would agree, behind is a better look. The design is clean, concise and subtle all at the same time. Well done.

Here's an example Bridge card remade in the potential "new style" -

se3_bridge_example.jpg

...and a Tunnel card -

se3_tunnel_example.jpg

Edited by talismanisland

So not that I want to be pushy or put myself up as someone who has no patience or cannot wait a few minutes at a bus stop..... BUT..

"WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE RELEASED"

Once I've figured out how I want to present things in this version, and worked out how to actually achieve some of the things I can get it done reasonably quickly.

Basically, it is planned to be a simpler version of what was released previously, but with up to date templates.

The previous iteration was my attempt as being as accurate as possible with everything, and I was also trying to offer people as many options as I could think of. It seems that it was all a bit too complicated (code-wise) and a lot of options were never used.

I'll post some information soon about what I intend to include, and then people can put in requests that will be considered for updates.

code? how are you making these?

looks cool, I like the idea of traps, although 41,7% chance of losing life; keep rolling if you lose life AND a 2,8% chance of dying outright seems a little over the top^^

Then you'd better keep one of the "Trap Busters" handy, or a handful of fate... ;)

hehe tough love variant^^ its growing on me playing digital where everyone uses the reaper but i think im still more into incremental development and catchup mechanics than soulcrushing resets;)

A small update. Still a long way to go and much to decide upon...

se3_exp_example.jpg

Come on, come on, come on :) .....

Work has stalled temporarily as I am having a bit of trouble with some tags. Hopefully sorted soon enough...

Work has stalled temporarily as I am having a bit of trouble with some tags. Hopefully sorted soon enough...

:o

Actually, I found a pretty easy work around last night so work can continue (son's sleeping pattern willing!)

Another couple of card types added. I still have to tidy up a few things as I'm going, but at least it's in progress...

se3_spell_example.jpg