New LackeyCCG Plugin for Call of Cthulhu LCG

By Kallisti, in CoC General Discussion

I have created/modified a Lackey LCG plugin based on the plugin originally made my Jaume. There is a new site for it at " http://sites.google.com/site/callofcthulhulcg/ ". It is currently up to date with all LCG cards through the Sleeper series. I'll be keeping it up to date as new packs are released.

Installing and updating is done through Lackey's auto-update feature.

------- Initial Installation
Instructions for this can be found here: http://www.lackeyccg.com/ tutorial.html#installinglackey'> http://www.lackeyccg.com/ tutorial.html#installinglackey

------- Install the Call of Cthulhu LCG plugin
1) Start up the Lacky CCG program.
2) Click on the "Preferences" tab at the top of the screen.
3) Towards the bottom of the screen is an AutoUpdate section with a button labeled "Update from URL:" In the textbox for that, enter: http://sites.google.com/site/callofcthulhulcg/ update/updatelist.txt and click the "Update from URL:".
4) The program will now download the basics of the plugin and inform you that you need to restart Lackey. Go ahead and restart Lackey.
5) When the program restarts, go back to the "Preferences" tab.
6) In the same "AutoUpdate" section, now click on the button marked "Download Missing Card Images"
7) You're good to go.

Step 6 will take awhile the first time you install the plugin as it has to download all the images.

------- Update the Call of Cthulhu LCG plugin
Whenever a new update occurs, you'll most likely want to download the new cards. All you need to do is repeat steps 2-7 above. It will go *much* faster doing the small 20 card updates. It seems a bit cumbersome, but once you get used to it, it takes only a few seconds to do.

------- Working with Nyarlazorbec's Deck Builder
Nyarlazorbec did us all a HUGE favor, and built in an ability to export from his Deck Builder to the Lackey format. There is a deck builder in Lackey, but I feel that Nyarlazorbec's is infinitely better. Plus, it allows you to just do everything in one location and keep it in sync.
1) Build/Update your deck in Nyarlazorbec's Deck Builder
2) Click the "Export" button at the top.
3) Choose the "XML online format (LCG only) option and the "File" option.
4) Click "OK"
5) Save the file in the directory: LACKEY_INSTALL_DIRECTORY/plugins/cthulhu_lcg/decks/
( note: LACKEY_INSTALL_DIRECTORY is the location you installed Lackey, something like: c:/lackey )
6) All done. :)

For more information on Lackey, installation, plugins, etc please see the Lackey page itself at http://www.lackeyccg.com/
For more information on Nyarlazorbec's Call of Cthulhu Deck builder please see: http://eric.minet.free.fr/cocbuilder/

! !!!!! THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY FANTASY FLIGHT PUBLISHING INC., so ask me directly for any support, suggestions or bug reports!!!!!!

I'd edit your instructions to include an extra step that is necessary for newbies like myself:

5) When the program restarts, go back to the "Preferences" tab.

6) For Plugin Preferences, click the Browse button to select the cthulhu_lcg plugin.
7) In the same "AutoUpdate" section, now click on the button marked "Download Missing Card Images"
8) You're good to go.

The new update is in place and current with the Twilight Horror pack.

To update

1) Go to the Preferences tab

2) Assure the cthulhu_lcg plugin is chosen

3) In the AutoUpdate section, fill in the textbox to the right of "Update from URL" with: http://sites.google.com/site/callofcthulhulcg/update/updatelist.txt

4) Click "Update from URL". The program will now update in the box below. You'll need to restart Lackey (something to do with the program itself)

5) Once it restarts, go to the Preferences tab

6) click "Download all missing card images". Wait for it to complete, and you're good to go.

I just downloaded this plugin but there is noone else with it please tell me if anyone wants to play on Lackey thanks. While setup a time to play or something.

I'll play as soon as I can figure out the Interface.

Unfortunately, I find the lack of documentation a bit odd.

Yeah, there is a big lack of documentation for the program. There is a tutorial available on the main Lackey site for how Lackey and plugins work "in general". However, nothing exists for how this plugin itself works.

I had to figure it all out by trial and error. Perhaps it's time that I write up a "This is how you use the Lackey Call of Cthulhu LCG plugin" page.

French players have such a thing (I did it month ago with Barrumbo's version), in the Cenacle forum, section "Cthulhu ONLINE"

I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it's a bit spartan. Of course, it's free, so I don't feel I have the right to complain :)

Unfortunately, this is probably going to be the only way to play the game (even though I own 4 Core Sets and 2 of each expansion). One day, I hope to play against an adult.

As a 38 year-old gamer (computer, console, and boardgame/cards), I decided to try a hobby shop down the road for a draft M:TG tournament. I was the oldest one there and I felt really weird. As an example, a player was disqualified since his mother called and made him come home. Yeah, good times.

What about at work? As a 30 year-old gamer (computer, roleplaying and boardgame/cards) I've found enough work colleagues to play a strictly-timed game of Roborally or similar once a week at lunch and CoC CCG (via Lackey or real cards) once per week on a different day...

Well, there are gamers at work, but not necessarily card gamers and I don't have the kind of job environment that lends itself to gaming during lunch (appearances really matter there). So, I've found one colleague who's willing to give it shot, although he seems to lean toward the themes in AGoT than CoC.

I do have a friend who's actually into Cthulhu stories, so he's willing to try out a game over Lackey (he lives in another city).

Im still willing I got a deck made on Lackey and got the program down and wanted to see what is a good time for you?

Has anyone figured out a way to place resources under Domains such that the opponent can see the faction that's been placed but can't just mouse-over and see the whole card? We've only managed to make up a rule that under a 'Gentleman's Agreement' we don't do that and we ignore the text at the bottom which tells us what card was just placed. Anybody got a better solution?

Note, this is with the CCG module rather than the LCG module, but I imagine the mechanics are the same...

Under the LCG rulebook, page 6:

Each player takes the remaining three cards from his setup hand
and attaches one, faceup and upside down, to each of his three
domains. The card bottom and resource icon should be all that is
visible above the domain card. The attached cards are now considered
resources. (Each player may look at his opponent’s resources if
he wants to.)

So there's not really a problem unless you're playing a house rule where they can't see the domain cards. If that's the case then you'll need the gentleman's agreement you mentioned before.

As for the CCG vs LCG versions of the program, there's literally no difference aside from the cards themselves.

Heh, thanks, I missed that line. I just assumed that since only the ends of the cards were revealed, the rest of the cards were secret. Um. You're right - no problem at all.

Thanks a lot for the plugin! Now i can create decks on Mac without start the virtual machine (installed in order to run Nyarlazorbeck Deck Builder gui%C3%B1o.gif )

!!!!!! THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY FANTASY FLIGHT PUBLISHING INC., so ask me directly for any support, suggestions or bug reports!!!!!!

Um... i couldn't see how to send a PM on this forum.. so I thought I would just ask here.

- Working with Nyarlazorbec's Deck Builder
Nyarlazorbec did us all a HUGE favor, and built in an ability to export from his Deck Builder to the Lackey format. There is a deck builder in Lackey, but I feel that Nyarlazorbec's is infinitely better. Plus, it allows you to just do everything in one location and keep it in sync.

This interests me more than the lackey in many ways, but the lackey thing is awesome btw, so thank you.. it is a great way to playtest my decks and keep in touch with other fans that I have met at cons and stuff.

Anyway.. I can not seam to get the deck builder to only show LCG versions of the cards.. and I can not work out how to get it to show card images.... can someone please help me with that?

OMG... new to this forum i can not work out how the quote box bbcodes work... Is there a way to edit the post at the "source" rather than in the visual editor?

Hi iGaveHimLife ,

I gave you an answer in the DeckBuilder's dedicated topic gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cheers,

Nyarla

you know that one is fine for me, but i can never get lackey to show the lcg cards? ive downloaded the packs the updates etc , any idea there what im doing wrong?

Sorry for the delay here darknight, been away from the computer for a week or so.

For Lackey, you shouldn't need to download any packs or anything. You'll need to follow the update instructions (see earlier pages of this thread) but that's about it. Keep in mind that Nyarl's Deck Builder and the Lackey Plugin program are two totally different entities (even though I shamelessly steal all the stuff from Ny when I'm updating the Lackey plugin *wink*)

Try scrapping the full Lackey Cthulhu Plugin, and following the install instructions here: http://sites.google.com/site/callofcthulhulcg/ to make sure it works. Note, you have to use that one, and not the other Lackey CCG plugin as the latter is *only* for the black border, and the former is only for the white border.

no worries mate, cheers for the reply, yep done all that but no joy. dont matter really fella i use them both but just wondered, might just be a random pc thing eh

darknight said:

no worries mate, cheers for the reply, yep done all that but no joy. dont matter really fella i use them both but just wondered, might just be a random pc thing eh

Hmmm only thing that I can think of is if you have them both installed (both lackey plugins that is), you'll need to make sure to switch plugins in the preferences tab. Can't think of anything other than that. Any more details about what is going wrong?

how weird, just opened it up again today, loaded the lcg and it worked straight away, didnt need to download anything as it was allready there, might have been a vista thing, cheers though, all ok now happy.gif

How do you use lackey? I got teh cards in stalled and the plugin working.. I can connect to the server and even connect to a mate (we were going to play a game) but we couldn't even work out how you draw a card hand let alone play a decent game.... can someone point me to a tutorial or something on how to use this app.. or best yet made one of you guys that use this could make a recording and post on youtube of you in fact using COClcg?

I would love to use lackey to play my mate who moved away.. but like i said we can not work out how the program works.

Using Lackey itself is something of a pain I'll admit. There are a bunch of things you have to do and learn, but once you get used to it, it is.... ok.

First, you make the deck, then the next important thing is, on the deck screen, you click the button that says "Load to self" or something like that. This will copy your deck to the actual playing area tab. From there, you'll have a bunch of container windows on the right and/or bottom. Labeled things like "hand, trash, deck" etc. Some you'll be able to see, others not.

There are a lot of function keys for doing things (like Deal Card to Hand is F1 i believe). You can also right click cards (whether they be in the main playing field, or containers) and there will be options of what to do with them. Things like "Send to top of discard" "send to hand" etc.

From there, everything else is sorta learn as you go. Lackey *definitely* needs a tutorial. One of these days when I get some time I'll write one up, but for now, your best bet is scheduling a 'match' w/ somebody who knows how to use it, and have them walk you through it