Warhammer 40K Conquest Rumours and News:

By Killax, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Yeah. I picked up mine today.

Is FFG still going ahead with the planned obsolescence of cards? That, in a year or so, starting with the first pack, cards will be rotated out and thus utterly useless?

I really hope not. I cannot express how utterly disastrous an idea I find this. To tell players their purchase, and the content it brings to the game, is no longer viable, just beggars all belief.

If they haven't already please reconsider.

Is FFG still going ahead with the planned obsolescence of cards? That, in a year or so, starting with the first pack, cards will be rotated out and thus utterly useless?

I really hope not. I cannot express how utterly disastrous an idea I find this. To tell players their purchase, and the content it brings to the game, is no longer viable, just beggars all belief.

Cards will be rotated eventually, but not in nearly so short a span as a single year. Are you unfamiliar with Magic's standard format?

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

War packs in cycle 1 and cycle 2 will not be legal in tournament play after warpack 1 of cycle 8 is released. As we are on war pack 3 cycle 1 that sugests 3-4 years befor any cards are removed and even then only tournament play is effected. You can use any cards at any time between friends as long as you both agree.

Edited by Tekwych

I am not, but this isn't Magic - a game that's been going for 20 odd years - and I don't see it as necessary.

I am not, but this isn't Magic - a game that's been going for 20 odd years - and I don't see it as necessary.

Right, and standard rotations have been a part of that for a considerable majority of that time. It's not the death knell that you think it is.

It is the consideration of what would happen to the game should they not have rotation that is one of the reasons they are bringing it in. Core and deluxe expansions will remain evergreen so regardless of how many decades pass these cards will remain legal for tournament play. The idea is to manage the card pool so that it doesn't come crashing down under its own weight and either die a horrible death, or require a second edition...

While rotation might have gotten a bad name from MtG (where it is also a necessity), as others have noted it is not going to take place until the first pack of the 8th cycle is released. That is roughly in around 4+ years time, depending on how the release schedule goes. Even then, the Inquisition will not be turning up to take away all your early cycle cards. You'll still be able to use them in a casual or "extended" format (if they do such a thing).

Yeah, there is going to be a LONG time before rotation affects Conquest, and if you feel like you haven't gotten enough value from the cards by then, you're probably not playing enough.

yeah, the idea of rotation made a lot of the LCG community loose its **** but some of us have been arguing for cycling for years and years. The pool is going to be around a steady 1500ish cards, the current MTG cycle is about 1300 to give it some perspective. Also remember that Core and all the Deluxe expansions do not cycle out. It is only the smaller packs that cycle. The cool thing is that Conquest is the first LCG that is basically around form when this idea was invented. While Star Wars and Netrunner are well smaller than the cycle point, there was a number of packs released before this was added to the LCG model. Conquest has the luxury of being inside this design scope. This should mean that conquest more than all the others will fit this model the best. We "should" see key cards in deluxe expansions that could fit this model much better over time. So when you see a card in core or the deluxe expansions you should be thinking about the design space it opens, as cards will build on it, but they will disappear, but the cards design space will not. Also, IF the games are still very popular after a given "rotation" I am certain that a legacy style format will turn up for the players, either unofficial or maybe even official.

Edited by booored

To tell players their purchase, and the content it brings to the game, is no longer viable, just beggars all belief.

It's necessary for the health of the game. Game of Thrones really suffered because rotation wasn't planned for a built in early enough. Additionally, the cards your players purchase won't explode into flame - nor will sinister, jackbooted Fantasy Flight stormtroopers crash through your window and put you in an arm lock if the cards touch the table; you just can't use them at tournaments.

And if you're going to tournaments, then the continued health of the game should be your prime concern.

It's necessary for the health of the game.

quote for truth.

One of the great problems with the LCG model is that as the game ran into full maturity (CoC or W:I or aGoT) there was a huge pool of cards spread across like a decade or so of releasing. Now the big draw of the LCG is the fact you do not get random packs. This is all well and good. Still the upshot of this was that competitive play meant new players had a huge cost outlay to get into the game. The larger the pool the more expensive the entry point for compeditive play.

This was exasperated with the faction system that the LCG uses. We get like 20 cards or w/e in a single pack nowadays, 3 of each (this was not the original case btw). Many of these games have large faction counts. Netrunner has 10, CoC has 9. This game currently has 8. So in a single 20 card pack you only get a few 2 or maybe 3 for each faction in the game. Conquest has the warleader squad which further reduces the off faction cards

What this meant is that when you built a deck the "ideal" of the LCG was you could build a deck form the entire pool and then just go buy the packs you needed to make that deck. The problem was that to make any given deck you needed to buy a MASSIVE amount of cycle packs as those cards you were looking for were stern all across the entire release schedule. A single competitive deck might cost upward of 500 bucks easy (yeah still way cheaper than a ccg but still, 500+) as you simply had to buy a pack to basically get 1 card.

Also there was a real problem with set absorption among new players. In CoC for example the pool was so large that new players would simply not have the stamina to read a single faction in a single sitting, let alone memorize it to find synergies among them. Now games like Conquest limit the absorption of the game by having set faction grouping. If you want to play SM you only need to focus on 3 factions. So they have built in a second tier to deal with this problem. The problem of new players having a massive pool to look though and not being able to adsorb the card effects in a way to produce quality decks. CoC was perceptually bad for this as it has some of the widest deck building in and LCG.

Then on top of that you had retailers. They (and FFG) would need to either print or supply massive product lines dating way back for years and years. Taking shelf space, production resources it goes on and on. All this stuff needed to be available at all times or the LCG fan base cracked a collective barny.

There is seriously so much good about the cycle system, it basically fixes every single one of these major problems with the format.

Just in the interests of accuracy, Netrunner has 7 factions, not 10.

I agree with pretty much everything relevant to rotation in booored's post though. Rotation fixes a lot of potential issues. I'll be the first to admit I threw a mild hissy-fit when it was announced, but I've been convinced since that it's in the best interests of the game(s).

Yeah it is in fact 9,as the neutrals are split. But yeah not sure where the 10th came from.

I see what you mean now - if they were to change the cycle distribution to be single-faction packs, you'd still want the neutrals available to everyone. You could still give Corp and Runner neutrals as one faction pack though - seeing as you still need both sides regardless of factions played.

wow! Mesa like!

Here lemme drop of these units that have been sitting in my HQ on this planet and then I'm gonna go get some recources on the planet next door. :D

wow! Mesa like!

Here lemme drop of these units that have been sitting in my HQ on this planet and then I'm gonna go get some recources on the planet next door. :D

Im also willing to bet this Warlord will have Mobile signature units.

My guess:

Cost: 3

Command: 1

Mobile

3/2

It would make Death from Above Banarroth's "Kauyon Strike ;)"

I love it, altough I can understand some might view him as boring

There is nothing boring about mobility.

That Shining Blade attachment is redoinkulous. Love it.

I think a mobile warlord is pretty strong. I would expect it to be a 1 attack. A permanent "Blackmane’s Hunt".. seams legit.

I like the idea of moving your army to a different planet than the warlord and stranding it there, but I think unless you plan very well, this could be problematic. A strong mobile themed deck would really be powerful I suspect.

Nahh it still is just Mobile. 2/6 seems good.

His Attachment is great but nothing bound breaking compared to Kugaths or Catos.

maybe. Just sucks going to take so long to get it. We haven't even got the first pack in australia yet and our dollar tanked recently to like 0.79us. So ordering from overseas has gotten bonkers expensive.

Dang boored, hey if you want I could send you Ragnar, Ku'gath and hopefully Aun'shi next week. Just let me know if I can be of any help.

Since I have some family in Australia I know the total costs would add up to quite a lot but I do think that multiple Packs would still be affordable... ...That said the version in US$ still is the cheapest.

I pay roughly around 11-15 euro's per Warpack.

Small errors on the first page have been updated!

- Rotting Plaguebearers target a unit that is on the same planet.

- Despise costs 0 .

- Mystic Warden only gets sacrificed at the planet if there was a battle at that planet.