STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

By KCDodger, in X-Wing

I figured that Sabine would be one of my favorite characters. Nope, I really enjoy Hera.

You know, the funny part is, while I like them both, Hera is really awesome and she's easily one of the better non main film characters I've seen. She's pretty chill.

I enjoy watching Rebels and I accept it for what it is. Some episodes are great while others are subpar but mostly I'm watching it to see how the plot unfolds and to find out how the Rebels crew fit in in the whole drama of the Galactic Civil War. I try not to nitpick every detail in this series but there are more than a few moments when the show surprises me with its faithful adherence to the spirit of the OT while shedding new light on events, characters and places that we're already familiar with. There are also a few references and homages to the EU that I like, which also adds to the overall enjoyment of the show.

As for the characters Hera is my favorite and still is. Kanan is a close second and Zeb is fun to watch(love his blaster/staff weapon btw) but I'm surprise by how much I like Sabine despite my poor initial impression of her(still don't like her costume though). Ezra looks the worst but his character is starting to grow on me and Chopper is starting to annoy me. Overall a pretty decent cast of characters and only time will tell if they will rise to greatness.

At the moment the focus seems to be on getting familiar with the crew but with the recent Empire Day episode I think the plot may be picking up some steam and I hope it continues to do so; they can't be staying on Lothal forever and at some point they will have to connect with the rest of the Rebel Alliance and start operating as part of the larger effort to fight against the Empire. That's what I'm looking forward to.

If there's one conclusion that I can make about Rebels is that it is at a better place than The Clone Wars was when it first started. If this series develops the way TCW did then I can safely say that I'd take Rebels any day over its predecessor.

Hate everything about the show. The characters are as cliche as it gets, the story is predictable, the animation and character designs are horrible, the main character uses a slingshot(!?!?). No clever plot twists, no snappy dialoge, or intriguing moral dilemmas. If you want to watch a "kid's" show done correctly, see Legend of Avatar, Samurai Jack, original Clone Wars, Adventure Time, ect. I was hoping the show would be targeted towards a teen/young adult audience since it covers a very dark and violent time in the SW lore, instead we get a show for 10 year olds made only to sell action figures. As a lifelong SW fan, I wanted to enjoy this show...but I can't find anything about the show I actually enjoy. Don't mean to sound like an ass, but I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get the mature Star Wars show I've been waiting for decades to see.

Couldn't really put it any better, I don't like the notion you have to dumb things down for kids avatar showed us that we have three great seasons with very few dud episodes, haven't watched much kora yet was waiting for the run to Finnish so I can binge watch.

I could have been happier if they had just kept the same animation style as The Clone Wars (more recent one, not the 5 minute shorts).

I can't un-see those Wookiee abominations.

I'm totally conflicted on this show.

A little history on Haven and Star Wars: (Skip if you've heard it before elsewhere.)

I saw Star Wars in 1977 at age 6. My childhood WAS Star Wars. I'd wake up in my bed, pull back my Star Wars sheets, take off my Star Wars PJs, open the closet doors that were covered in posters, put on my jersey shirt (it was the 70s) with Luke and 3P0 on it, stick my cards in my pocket, eat my C-3POs, drink from my Burger King glass, and head off to my friend's house to read comics and play action figures.

Since the mid-nineties Mr. Lucas has done enough things to make me finally give up on Star Wars almost entirely. (And I sat through the entire Holiday Special!) The third season of Clone Wars was the final straw for me.

So I went into this fully expecting to hate it thoroughly. Much like the new Ninja Turtles show, I find myself never finding the expected moment where it crosses the line and I turn my back on it.

Again, like TMNT, I'm not thrilled by the animation style.

I'm conflicted on the McQuarrie inspirations. To some extent, I think it's cheating. They don't come up with their own designs they just ape rejected ones. The fact that it's Disney, and Ezra is so similar to Aladdin, bugs me to no end, as does his "energy slingshot". Der.

The inclusion of a Mandalorian bothers me. Fett has been ruined by his overuse. And everything that spawned from it is godawful annoying to me. The fact that the Mandalorian in question is female, has attitude, and is purple bugs me almost as much as "Snips". I guess I should count my blessings and just be happy that her midriff isn't exposed and that she's not a gorram princess.

And while we're on the subject of "gorram", the show is so obviously just Firefly/Serenity, which, in itself, is just Cowboy Bebop. (Oh, Sweet Lord, I'm in the middle of the academy episode and the one kid just said, "My sister disappeared from this place." SERIOUSLY? Mr. Whedon; sue them now!!)

Despite all this, and even more stuff I don't want to bore you with, and despite myself, I find myself enjoying the show immensely. I loved the inclusion of the Imperial Troop Transport from my Kenner youth. Nice touch.

I guess I'll just let you know when they cross the line and I can't take it anymore.

Edited by Haven13

^This and this. Firefly: In SPAAAAACEEEE!*echo effect*

Matter of fact, nothing about the show is original. Theres a Boba Fett wannabe, a Darth Maul/Assajj wannabe, a Kyle Katarn wannabe, an R2D2-ripoff with even more attitude, a Chewbacca/Jet(Cowboy Bebop) mashup, while the main character is Aladdin with a slingshot and the force(WHO SAW THAT TWIST COMMIN!?!?). The "dark" elements of the show are completely canceled out by the childish dialogue, story, and characters...at least we have another trilogy to look forward to.

If you played WEG Star Wars you'd be saying the characters were the archetypes straight out of the back of the book instead of rip offs of this or that. It had Kid (with slingshot!), Kanaan is somewhere between Minor Jedi and Failed Jedi, Brash Pilot, Droid (which is played exactly like a player character in the show), Alien muscle (Wookie in the book), not quite sure about Sabine, probably Outlaw though I think might be Artist in one of the expansion books

^This and this. Firefly: In SPAAAAACEEEE!*echo effect*

Matter of fact, nothing about the show is original. Theres a Boba Fett wannabe, a Darth Maul/Assajj wannabe, a Kyle Katarn wannabe, an R2D2-ripoff with even more attitude, a Chewbacca/Jet(Cowboy Bebop) mashup, while the main character is Aladdin with a slingshot and the force(WHO SAW THAT TWIST COMMIN!?!?). The "dark" elements of the show are completely canceled out by the childish dialogue, story, and characters...at least we have another trilogy to look forward to.

Maybe the Cowboy Bebop thing wouldn't bother us so much if it weren't for Spike doing the voice of every other Imperial?

"WHO SAW THAT TWIST COMMIN!?!?" = Hilarity

I'm presently watching Out of Darkness. No, this is nothing like "War Stories" from Firefly where Wash insists on going along with Mal on a mission. No, not at all.

I've been working with children (sitting, teaching, training, etc.) since 1980 so I've watched a LOT of crummy kid's shows. As they go, this isn't all that childish when it comes to dialogue and story. This one does better than most. Yeah, there are times when I groan inwardly a bit, but, like I said, it's working for me so far, and that's surprising. I'll just continue my enjoyment until I don't.

If you played WEG Star Wars you'd be saying the characters were the archetypes straight out of the back of the book instead of rip offs of this or that. It had Kid (with slingshot!), Kanaan is somewhere between Minor Jedi and Failed Jedi, Brash Pilot, Droid (which is played exactly like a player character in the show), Alien muscle (Wookie in the book), not quite sure about Sabine, probably Outlaw though I think might be Artist in one of the expansion books

Yep, this is one of those other things I left out of my initial post to keep it from getting too long.

If there had been just TWO of one archetype, it might have gone over better with me.

It totally seemed like an RPG selection to me, and I've never read that book.

I half-expected Yoda to show up saying, " Fear not: Ranger, Barbarian, Magician, Thief, Cavalier, and Acrobat."

I half-expected Yoda to show up saying, " Fear not: Ranger, Barbarian, Magician, Thief, Cavalier, and Acrobat."

Fear not the BBEG with General Grevious' spinning lightsaber attacks.

Maybe the Cowboy Bebop thing wouldn't bother us so much if it weren't for Spike doing the voice of every other Imperial?

Yea...I even bet he rolls his eyes while reading for this show.

I've put more hours than I'm willing to admit in public into both the d6 and d20 versions of Star Wars over the past 15 or so years. If someone had brought any of these characters to the table, we'd chuckle and help them come up with something a bit more original.

Edited by Stilgod

Oh please. Steve Blum will do anything for money. In fact, whenever I hear his voice I just blurt out, "OH, HI STEVE BLUM HOW ARE YOU." Because he is f*cking everywhere and it's actually starting to irritate the hell out of me.

Personally, it all comes across as kinda meh so far. Not bad, not good. Everything at the moment is just kinda passable. Most of the main characters don't stand out that much. The villains all seem VERY childish and not really much of a threat and most of the plots so far haven't really had much consequence with the heroes just able to walk in and out of situations.

I feel the animation quality has gone down due simply to budget.

However I will give it time as the first seasons of The Clone Wars was, well, pretty bad.

HQjWIZu.png

Sweet merciful Jesus YES.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

What are your favorite easter eggs from the last episode, "Empire Day"? I had several, the first two were at the bar.

(1) The LAAT/i mounted above the bar door had nose art that looked like one of the LEGO sets- a Kowakian monkey lizard (Salacious Crumb) holding a bomb

(2) a phase I Clone Trooper helmet on a shelf behind the bar

(3) the red striping on the TIE pilot Baron Rudolph's black flight suit

(a.k.a. 181st Fighter Wing's blood stripes signifying combat kills)

I thought that was all really cool. They're not afraid to show that the Clone Wars definitely happened, but most of the time you just see broken down old stuff further reinforcing the point that it's a thing of the past. In that bar, what I really liked was the auto-translator the Ithorian was wearing. That was clever.

Also, holy crap. Mid-Hyperspace separation. I did not know that was even possible and apparently, when doing that, really whacked out sh*t happens. I suppose Kanan and Ezra were lucky to make it out alive.

The TIE's are based on McQuarrie concept art, so and much other things to, so I like that, and if you remember Ambush, from CW, you can't say Yoda defeating tons of droids isn't cliche. But they later seasons, (especially season 6, with that super good Yoda arc!) were a lot better. BUT, I dont say the first episodes were bad, I enjoyed them, just like I do rebels now. So they will become better for sure, but i like this season to, just like all the seasons of CW. (And I'm going to be so happy when I see the first McQuarrie X-wing in the show :D ).

I thought that was all really cool. They're not afraid to show that the Clone Wars definitely happened, but most of the time you just see broken down old stuff further reinforcing the point that it's a thing of the past. In that bar, what I really liked was the auto-translator the Ithorian was wearing. That was clever.

Also, holy crap. Mid-Hyperspace separation. I did not know that was even possible and apparently, when doing that, really whacked out sh*t happens. I suppose Kanan and Ezra were lucky to make it out alive.

I was thinking it was Kanan's Jedi training... BUT, I do not think he finished training before Order 66, I think he may have been just a Padawan. Certain things he does, He is not prepared to deal with Ezra's little dips into the dark side. I think that he does know he should train Ezra to help keep his emotions in check or else loose him to be a wild force user or dark side Jedi.

HQjWIZu.png

On the one hand I am extremely happy to finally see the Sentinal getting some love. But they screwed up the wings, but I can accept that as part of art design for the show. The size looks off, it is after all suppose to be able to carry two full platoons of Stormtroopers. That one looks like it can barely carry a squad. The boarding ramp is wrong, the ramps are on the sides not in the middle. They tried too hard to make it look like a Lambda.

I was thinking it was Kanan's Jedi training... BUT, I do not think he finished training before Order 66, I think he may have been just a Padawan. Certain things he does, He is not prepared to deal with Ezra's little dips into the dark side. I think that he does know he should train Ezra to help keep his emotions in check or else loose him to be a wild force user or dark side Jedi.

That's acftually why I like their dynamic. Kanan's just as much of a nooblet as Ezra in several ways. While he knows a decent amount about The Force, he still doesn't know a hell of a lot.

And I love how The Inquisitor literally fought Kanan with one hand behind his back. The Smarmy git. He is way too much for those guys to handle.

HQjWIZu.png

On the one hand I am extremely happy to finally see the Sentinal getting some love. But they screwed up the wings, but I can accept that as part of art design for the show. The size looks off, it is after all suppose to be able to carry two full platoons of Stormtroopers. That one looks like it can barely carry a squad. The boarding ramp is wrong, the ramps are on the sides not in the middle. They tried too hard to make it look like a Lambda.

I've done some thinking, and I'm actually pretty sure it isn't a Sentinel Landing Craft. If it is one, it's a redesign- A redesign I absolutely adore the living hell out of. But upon further inspection...

Nu-class_shuttle_landed.jpg

Well, I see a lot more resemblance to this, actually. Similar armament in the same spots, cockpit-to-boarding-ramp relation is about the same, so on and so forth.

Also they can't really get the Sentinel wrong. We've only seen it once with low detail in a flyby, details fairly well obscured. But still, I think this is actually an inbetween of the Nu and the Sentinel. In the end, however...

This craft much more fits with the Imperial Modus Operandi of using more, smaller craft that are less expensive, to field their forces. If you load up four of these and two sentinels with the exact same armament, you have the issue of what's lost at one time.

If one of two sentinels is lost, you've just lost two platoons of stormtroopers and several speederbikes, on top of a heavily armed and probably very sluggish transport. It's also incredibly expensive. That 240,000 price tag is hooey. Two pairs of turbolasers in addition to four laser cannons, an ion cannon, I think a chin mounted gun for clearing LZs, and all the generators to power that crap, in addition to the fuel cost?

Holy sh*t.

This thing? Economic solution. Looks way less expensive, and if one of them gets shot down, you still have 75% of your forces, rather than 50%, and it's just that much easier to replace it all, too.

As a caveat, the Sentinel Shuttle might have actually been developed as a response to heavier-armed insurgents who dropped these out of the sky.

I personally really like this one though. It has that same imperial overbearing presence, but with an air of utility to it as well. If you ask me, very very nice stuff.

Pretty sure it's a Sentinel they've redesigned. **** sexy Sentinel redesign too.

As for looking too much like a Lambda, a Sentinel is a Lambda with a box in the middle, pretty much. It's only subsequent appearances that have tried to deLambda it.

Really kind of want to see these things now, shame the UK doesn't have a streaming service for them.

I like Rebels well enough, but it's really annoying how useless stormtroopers are. They literally do nothing. Sabine is awesome though.

Stormtroopers being useless is kind of a Star Wars trope.

Is there anyone watching this online in the UK? The US has some great streaming options for it but I can't find anything UK-wise.

Edited by TIE Pilot

Stormtroopers being useless is kind of a Star Wars trope.

Is there anyone watching this online in the UK? The US has some great streaming options for it but I can't find anything UK-wise.

I'm not sure I f you can access it in the UK, but www.watchcartoononline.com and www.animeflavor.com have it

I've been watching it on Google Play. Are they restricting it in the UK on Google too?

Regarding the Sentinel, I would hope that the creators would do their EU homework to incorporate as much as possible. But, we know they don't have to. They might just figure that this is close enough, especially if they don't explicitly call it a Sentinel.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

It tends to be sites like hulu, British Netflix differes from the american but it's easy enough to set up a proxy server and bypass such restrictions.

It's why the government blocking pirate bay backfired so hard, the day after they got 10 million new English customers who'd never heard of it before it was banned.