Questions for the next FAQ - Please, post your questions here

By Julia, in BattleLore

How many lore cards can be played? The rules say you may play one, does this mean you can play more than one or only one?

"May" implies you are not forced to play a lore card in a given round; "one" implies you cannot play 2 or more in the same round

Edited by Julia

"May" implies you are not forced to play a lore card in a given round; "one" implies you cannot play 2 or more in the same round

One minor correction to this. You cannot play more than one card in the same TURN, not the same round.

You can play one on your own turn and one on your opponent's turn in the same round, just not two cards during any given player's turn.

Thanks, the Battlore Command app allows for you to play more than one lore card when attacking - though it's a different game. I've always thought it was a lore card a turn (and another during your opponent's turn) but just got confused along the way. :)

Could you imagine darken skies + enchanted arrows + assault if you could play more than one lore card = at least nine wounds if all targets within range of 8 hexes from 3 archers who did not move! Beast mode!

One minor correction to this. You cannot play more than one card in the same TURN, not the same round.

You can play one on your own turn and one on your opponent's turn in the same round, just not two cards during any given player's turn.

Yeah, correct, thanks Scott. I didn't remember exactly if turn vs round was defined in BT. But anyway, it wasn't that wrong since it "you" the subject: you opponent is certainly not "you" :P

Anyhoo, one card may played by Daqan, one card may be played by Uthuk, then moved to the next round

This could be just me in a senior Moment BUT-Scenario D2 The Last Bridge (Daqan) &

Card D1 The Veil of Secrets(Uthuk) don't seem to match up Terrain wise.

D2 has a River hex up on the shared middle row & D1 has a Deployment hex right on

the River. Am I missing something in the rules that cover this situation?

OD

This could be just me in a senior Moment

They look fine to me!

This could be just me in a senior Moment

They look fine to me!

I still can't see how they match the D 2 Card has a River Terrain hex right on the D1 deployment Hex, plus the

River Tile just is opened ended.

OD

Open ends are to be replaced with lakes. Learn to play, pag 16:

If there is a river tile that creates an open river away from a game board edge, players replace that river tile with a lake tile (if able).

Also, I don't understand what you're sayn' about the dev hex on the right: Uthuk's units can be fielded up to the third line from Uthuk's side, there are no U deployment hexes near the Daqan river. Daqan river end among three hill hexes

:huh: :unsure: :o :rolleyes: true Senior moment , I was reading the Uthuk Scenario Card upside down!

OD

:D

Quick question : Does Barricade and blood field (from Warband of Scorn expansion box) blocks LoS ? I can't find that information.

They do not block LoS

Quick question concerning the Grotesque Lacerate ability:

Can you use it to bleed an enemy unit while attacking with the bone blast ranged attack? Or does it work only in melee?

Edited by MasterHamsterMathster

Quick question concerning the Grotesque Lacerate ability:

Can you use it to bleed an enemy unit while attacking with the bone blast ranged attack? Or does it work only in melee?

There's nothing on the card stating that Lacerate only works on melee attacks. You can commit a [Heroic] result from any Grotesque attack to bleed the target unit.

Does an attacking unit which moved into a forest suffer a damage when forced to retreat by a counter attack since it can't move out of the forest it moved into?

Why can't the attacking unit be forced the retreat from the forest hex?

Does an attacking unit which moved into a forest suffer a damage when forced to retreat by a counter attack since it can't move out of the forest it moved into?

It doesn't quite work that way. Building and forest hexes stop movement but it gets stopped just for that movement, not the whole turn. So if you have a speed of 2 and move into a forest that is 1 hex away, you lose the other movement point. But when you get counterattacked later, that is a different source of movement so you can retreat out of the forest.

As a different example, if you were forced to retreat 2 hexes and the first hex you retreated into was a building or forest, you would move into that hex with the first retreat and suffer damage for the second since those hexes force you to end your movement.

Here's one from BGG, I really hope this interpretation is wrong:

I read the Combat entry in the Reference Book (page2 , right column).

So, I'm pretty sure that my examples works well.

Example number 1 :

A Blood Sisters unit with 2 figures attacks a Daqan unit.

The Daqan unit has not taken any damage (full health).

The Blood Sisters unit rolls 1 Crown and 1 Lore.

Now we are in the Step 4 of the Combat sequence (Commit dice Step).

First, the Blood Sisters unit commits the Lore result, using the Blood Magic Ability : so the Daqan unit WILL suffer 1 damage (not immediately).

Second, the Blood Sisters units commits the Crown result, using the Syphon Ability (which allows the Blood Sisters to recover 1 health point, provided the enemy unit has taken 1 or more damages): no effect because the Daqan unit is still at full health.

Example number 2 :

A Flesh Ripper Brutes unit attacks a Daqan unit.

The Daqan unit has not taken any hit (full health).

The Flesh Ripper Brutes unit rolls 1 Crown and 1 Double Sword.

Now we are in the Step 4 of the Combat sequence (Commit dice Step).

First, the Flesh Ripper Brutes unit commits the Double Sword result : so the Daqan unit WILL suffer 1 damage (not immediately).

Second, the Flesh Ripper Brutes units commits the Crown result, using the BloodThirst Ability (which allows the Flesh Ripper Brutes to cause 1 damage, provided the enemy unit has taken 1 or more damages): no effect because the Daqan unit is still at full health.

Note.

A) Remember : the Daqan unit, in both examples, will suffer damages in Step 6 (Suffer Damage Step).

B) My examples contradict the Poison Entry in the Reference Book (page 7, right column) : "...If a unit becomes poisoned DURING a combat roll, Lore results produced during that roll may be commited to cause 1 damage each".

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/19875312#19875312

If that's right, when exactly can for example the blood sisters' ability from the example be used at all? If they attack an already weakend unit? Even it they don't do any damage at all? Only trigger being that the unit is damaged? Sorry, that feels like nonsense for me.

Here's another argument:

If you would like for example Bloodthirst ability to work during combat in which you're making a damage within the rules as written, the ability would have to read something like: "If this unit causes damage this combat, it causes 1 additional damage".

But then it wouldn't work in combats in which you wouldn't cause regular damage, even to a not full health units.

And if you don't do any damage at all (no rolls, shielded unit, ...) you don't recover anything. Pretty simple and reasonable to me.

What's right?

This stuff here was debated to death countless times, I often wonder why people (not talking about you, of course) can't search the forum before triggering the discussion yet another time. It's crystal clear how VL and FRB abilities works differently, and how the correct sequence of damage / committing dice is to be resolved.

In any case, when I sent off the draft for the FAQ (quite some time ago), I entered a line asking an answer about this conundrum. Let's hope it's not a too long time before the FAQ is released. Thanks for linking the discussion, tho

This stuff here was debated to death countless times, I often wonder why people (not talking about you, of course) can't search the forum before triggering the discussion yet another time.

Hey, I insist you talk of me, too! I simply wasn't clever enough to search for the FRB discussion (found it by now) and not only for stuff about the Blood sisters' ability.

Anyway, thanks for being kind to me and sorry for the lack of research skills on my side. Problem solved, even though I still don't like it thematically. But I can live with that!

No need to be sorry. I honestly had myself going more than once through that darn combat sequence to figure out how exactly different things worked. I think a couple more examples could have been helpful, but actually being bound to a fixed number of pages when you assemble the documents is quite a challenge when it comes up to decide what to put in and what to left out :)

A sample of the new army pack came out yesterday for the undead faction. It revealed the units and their cards in the article, and I was wondering about the Reanimates. It says their ability Legion adds one die per unit remaining in that group. Is it in addition to the one dice it starts with, or does that take it into account? If it's in addition to that, that means their basic infantry gets 4 die when at full health.

Yes, it's 4 at full health

The Razorwings special movement into and out of caverns specifies that a unit can move back into the cavern hex after an attack "instead of advancing." Does this mean that the unit has to trigger a situation (retreat or opponent unit elimination) that would allow an advance in the first place, or is the Razorwing always allowed to move back into the cavern after an out-of-the-cavern attack? By the letter, it would seem to be the first interpretation right?

Edited by Scummy