Questions for the next FAQ - Please, post your questions here

By Julia, in BattleLore

Hi folks,

I was asked by FFG to start collecting questions for an upcoming Battlelore 2nd edition FAQ project. So, if you have any issues requiring an official clarification, you believe some points in the wording of cards or rules are obscure, or are uncertain on anything else, please post your questions here. We could try to find a proper solution together (sometimes rules are nifty, but reasoning together helps getting all the nuances; or helps understanding better the problem) and then, if they are still obscure, I'll report them to the attention of FFG.

Also, if you received official clarifications via email, please post questions and answer here as well, so that everything can be included in the very same document.

And gently, when you pass by, thumb this entry for visibility :)

Thanks a lot for your help :) The game is awesome, and with your help will be even better :)

JULIA

PS-DISCLAIMER: I'm not working for FFG, just volunteering for them in my free time. I'm just a boardgamer like you and in no way, even if we start debating rules, anything I can say is to be considered "official". Thanks for the comprehension and help :)

Does the "Desperate Ploy" command card apply to ranged attacks?

Desperate Ploy: Order 2 units. Each (single sword) result produced by the friendly weak units may be committed to cause 1 damage this turn.

I believe it was mentioned in another post, but is a roc affected by swarm tokens (i. e. It ends movement and rolls dice for damage)?

Edited by Harganok

Thansk for the questions, I just took some notes about them.

Harganok: yes, I noticed the Roc question in a different thread. IIRC, there was another thread asking for archers and retreat when the attack was made along a hex line with archers distant 2 or 4 hexes away, correct?

This is from another thread:

Situation:

My Citadel Guards attacked the opponent's Obscene and forced them to retreat. Due to their special ability "Ferocity", they were allowed to counter first. My opponent rolled a retreat, which caused me to retreat as well.

Can my Citadel Guards still advance to the Obscene's original space, effectively moving 2 or even more spaces??? Or can I ONLY advance, if my unit is still adjacent to the target unit's original space?

page 10 of the reference book under "unstoppable (lore card)" says there: "If the counter forces the enemy unit to retreat one or more hexes, the enemy unit cannot advance or use a Pursue ability."

However, it is not mentioned explicitly in the Ferocity's entry

Yes, agreed Angus, this is confusing because Advance does not say that the attacking unit must have remained in their place. I already got an answer on this one (in case it's needed): nope, they cannot advance if moved away. But I'll certainly put it in the FAQ :)

Yes, indeed, it's confusing, and it's one of the first questions I added to the FAQ list. Thanks for the reminder, though :)

IMPORTANT: I'll send away the FAQ list to the respnsible for the line by the end of the next week. So, if you have any further question, please add them here before April, 4th. Thanks for help :)

I didn't see it in another threads...
my question:

Does the flank ability of Daqan calvary works when the atacker is an archer unit?

thx!

Technically, there shouldn't be problems as long as the attacked unit is adjacent to the Riverwatch Riders unit: thematically, you can imagine the Riders "moving & distracting" the enemy unit, offering an edge to all other Daqan units able to hit it. Still, I see how this can be confusing, so that I added your question to the list.

Thanks for the observation ;)

Can units have the same effect multiple times ? I.e. the archers poison a unit, can the target unit have multiple poison markers?

Can a range unit cause retreat?

Has a unit a backup, when there is any other unit adjacent from the same faction ? Or has the backup to be diagonale?

Also, in the Rules book, there is a contradiction: Is a weak unit, a unit with only 2 models, or is it weak when its down to one model?

Edited by sangeet

1. Yes, you can commit dice to trigger the same effect more than once (Reference guide, pag 3, "Committing dice": Multiple dice can be committed for the same ability). Still, remember that, even though you can commit the same result more than once to poison a unit, poison tokens after the first one are not placed on that unit (Reference guide, pag 7: "Causing a poisoned unit to become poisoned again has no effect")

2. Yes (reference guide, pag 8, there's even a picture showing an example of retreat due to a ranged attack)

3. No idea of what a backup is, nor what you mean by "being diagonale", sorry. If you're talking about support, please refer to pag 9 of the reference book

4. Mind pointing out the reference for the contradiction so that I can refer it? As for the definition of weak, rulebook pag. 9 and reference book pag 10 both refer to 1 remaining figure in the unit

Hmm, not sure about the models /weak unit, i had read it through once before, and tryed to explain it to my girlfriend, and as she is not overly patient (nongamer) i had to explain the rules pretty fast, so it could be i missed something, the game is quite complex. Anyhow, thanks for the quick response, and clarification, i really like battlelore, unfortunatley my girlfriend was not conviced. I try it again this week with a collegue from work.

Edited by sangeet

Glad I helped :) And.. yeah, it's not a game you can explain in a few minutes or learn to love in one scenario. I hope your gf will give this another try, sooner or later :) Enjoy the game with friends and collegues by then :)

UPDATE: I sent the questions collected so far to FFG. You can clearly keep on posting eventual other questions here: I cannot assure you they will be answered in this FAQ, but they could come in handy for an eventual further one.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this project so far

I had another shot @ Battlelore yesterday evening, and i fielded the Demon Lord figure, who had a chance to hit the quick Gryphon warrior, unfortunatley i rolled three times the helmet, which caused the question what will happen:

Each helmet causes two retreats, so the gryphon had to retreat 6 hex fields in the opposite direction. After 3 hex there was another blue unit (archers) , has the gryphon now to stop ? As he cant move through fields where other unit figures stand ? Is he after moving 3 fields now supported by that other unit?

So, just to have this clear, the question is: can a Flying unit becomes Supported, right?

The question is: if y unit is forced to retreat multiple hexes, does it get support when in the retreated direction a unit from the same faction stands. I.e. i cause six retreat, and in three hexes there is a unit from the opposite faction, does the retreated unit gets support form that unit, or does that unit count as terrain where nobody can move into, and therefore the fleeing unit would get damage instead, or support?

(You are not allowed to move into occupied hexes)

This is more a general question: The gameboard has at the edges hexes which are not full, i.e. half a hex, does it count still as hex, or does it count as off the board? We agreed that half hexes count as off the board, but were not sure if that the offical answer.

When a unit retreats, it can become supported, yes.

Half hexes are no eligible hexes, hence a unit forced to retreat there will suffer one damage instead

Last point: if you don't mind, all these questions are legit and good questions, but are no FAQ material since they are covered clearly in the rulebook. If you don't mind, it'd be preferrable not to clog this thread with similar questions, but open specific threads in the forum. You'll also have a greater visibility and quicker answers :)

Any update on this FAQ? If it's been posted anywhere I can't find it.

Nothing posted so far, so it's ok you didn't find anything.

And no idea of when they will be released, sorry buddy

Can you use Lore to buy Victory Points? In the Learing Scenario it states that Lore is only used to earn Victory Points, with 4 Lore = I VP. However, this is not mentioned anywhere under the full rules when explaining "Lore in Detail", nor is it found anywhere in the Glossary. So, was that Lore for VP rule JUST for the Learning Scenario? Or can you exchange Lore for VP in the full game as well?

Edited by silversun101

Lore for VP was just a special rule for the learning scenario. Lore can be spent only to play lore cards or to "pay for an effect": for instance removing a status token (stun, for example) from one of your units, as described on the different Unit Reference Cards.

For any doubt about lore, check the Ref Guide, pag. 6, under Lore

Agreed. The bit about buying VP with Lore is even mentioned in a box called "Lore in the Learning Scenario" (or something close to that), and states that in the learning scenario you can do that. The main purpose is that you don't use Lore cards in the learning scenario, so it lets Lore be used for SOMEthing (other than removing Poison).

Edited by sigmazero13

Nothing posted so far, so it's ok you didn't find anything.

And no idea of when they will be released, sorry buddy

Hello. I hate to seem to be grave digging but could someone clarify if the FAQ is coming or not?

Last post dates 4 months prior, and then nothing... :huh: