Donovan was right and I was wrong

By Maelora, in General Discussion

By the way, thanks for inventing the ballpoint pen :ph34r:

Not a problem! I had an idea to write a play, but then some fellow handed me an idea that was far better...

IME, It's usually not hostile when the points raised address the topic itself, but it often becomes hostile when the majority of the content comments on the messenger rather than the message.

I agree. Of course I do. However, if the poster you are addressing constant intend is to rile you up, misquote or halfquote you, take things you wrote out of context in order to call you a nazi sympathizer (again and again), ignores arguments and facts and basically does nothing more than repeat himself over and over again it is not strange the topic itself shifts towards the behaviour of the addressee...

Edited by DanteRotterdam

IME, It's usually not hostile when the points raised address the topic itself, but it often becomes hostile when the majority of the content comments on the messenger rather than the message.

Im not accusing anyone of this by quoting this post, I'm just explaining my view. I love seeing people discuss things passionately, even those that oppose my own views. However, I don't enjoy pointless hostility, and hostility on game boards can't be anything but pointless.

1a) The challenge appears when the messenger identifies too closely with the message, and therefore any disagreements with the message becomes a perceived attack on the messenger, and hostile - or as I prefer: confrontational - behaviour ensues as the messenger attacks anyone disagreeing with the message and therefore, ultimately, attacks and disagrees with the existence of the messenger. Anyway. Generally I agree with you, but:

2) Pointless hostility can be enjoyed, trust me. :ph34r:

Edited by Jegergryte

This is true... Consider MMA for instance.

This is true... Consider MMA for instance.

A little bit too late for that ;)

On a more serious note, it's sad when threads become battlefields, when conflicts from one thread spill over into others, but its bound to happen sometimes. Of course trying to keep it to a minimum is best for everyone involved.

Y'know what? I'm going to hold up my hands and apologise for some of the remarks I've made that have escalated to the level of "bad taste" - as mentioned previously, I don't have an awful lot of free time in which to relax and allow myself personal leisures like RPing; so when I do find the time, the last thing I want is to be badgered by someone who insists on calling me a space nazi, and who craps on the efforts of my Brothers-in-Arms by making idiotic real world references.

Should I put him on ignore? Yes, I should have - that would have been the mature thing to do, but like many others I was extremely hesitant to put anyone on that list. But now I have, as I have done to a few others who I think I'll be happier for not having to view. A shame, but at least it'll remove any temptation that's there for me to lower myself to such levels.

So, to summarise: sorry for stepping over the line. I don't agree that everyone should bow their heads and be treated like "bullies" for firing back at a troll, however - especially when they can't avoid his comments, even with ignore, because when he's often quoted it makes his comments visible regardless. But yes, I apologise for my part.

This is a great post. Thank you for writing it.

I have never put someone on ignore in my entire "internet" career but I will follow your example Shakespearian_Soldier and put ErikB on ignore.

I suggest that other users somehow involved in this issue consider to do the same.

If enough users put ErikB on ignore then perhaps this forum can go back to being the great board we all know it can be. Right now many of the largest and most active threads is about an obvious troll leading the forums best and brightest (and I mean this completely without any irony or sarcasm, I just don't want to mention any names, it is there for everyone to read anyways) by the nose in some weird danse macabre.

In all honesty.

/bladerunner_35

I feel a bit stupid for asking, but how exactly do I put someone on ignore?

Ignoring the troll doesn't protect newbs from his spew.

Report the troll instead. If enough people report offensive posts, sooner or later, the mods will clue in.

I don't report honest brusque - I find Jegergryte remarkably honest, despite the occasional headbuttting we have engaged in.

There should be a tab on your profile for "Ignore" Preferences, or something akin to that. Click and add a name. :)

And thanks for your prior remarks. My apology stands - I'm only human, and emotions get the best of me. I appreciate someone calling me on it when they do.

Even if Erik does ask for most of what he gets.

There should be a tab on your profile for "Ignore" Preferences, or something akin to that. Click and add a name. :)

And thanks for your prior remarks. My apology stands - I'm only human, and emotions get the best of me. I appreciate someone calling me on it when they do.

Even if Erik does ask for most of what he gets.

Thanks man! I looked all over his user profile expecting to find some button there. I never thought to look at my own profile.

And thanks again! ;) Happy gaming.

Edited by bladerunner_35

Likewise!

There's a lot of people on these boards who I would happily welcome into my gaming group - Maelora, Jegergryte, Dante, to name only a few - and with Erik on ignore I can finally put my entire focus back on discussing the game . :)

Report the troll instead. If enough people report offensive posts, sooner or later, the mods will clue in.

I don't report honest brusque - I find Jegergryte remarkably honest, despite the occasional headbuttting we have engaged in.

I have reported ErikB numerous times over the past weeks but to no avail... It seems the boards are not monitored/moderated at all lately.

Likewise!

There's a lot of people on these boards who I would happily welcome into my gaming group - Maelora, Jegergryte, Dante, to name only a few - and with Erik on ignore I can finally put my entire focus back on discussing the game . :)

Thanks and likewise!

I have reported ErikB numerous times over the past weeks but to no avail... It seems the boards are not monitored/moderated at all lately.

Might be that they're focusing on getting the beta results into a condition suitable for the final print. Still, you'd think that at least one person would take note of something like this, when so many reports have been made about a single member. :/

Might be that they're focusing on getting the beta results into a condition suitable for the final print. Still, you'd think that at least one person would take note of something like this, when so many reports have been made about a single member. :/

I have also reported users without any effect (that I have seen). There is the possibility that the percieved infractions is not judged to break any forum rules.

Fact of the matter is that you can control what you post yourself. Not what someone else posts.

Again, there is only one way to deal with an internet troll.

Perhaps they can't be bothered. I reported him months back. It is fairly safe to assume he is the same person that went under the nickname AluminiumWolf (or something like that at least), which got -as far as I know- banned. So, he's back. So, they can ban him again, and then he'll register again and in a short while, a couple of weeks at most, we'll notice the tendencies again, and we're back where we started.

Same here. I also reported him back when he was AluminumWolf. It seems moderation has slipped off. That is why I've also suggested ignore as a last result. If we don't have outside moderation then we as a forum have to moderate.

Same here. I also reported him back when he was AluminumWolf. It seems moderation has slipped off. That is why I've also suggested ignore as a last result. If we don't have outside moderation then we as a forum have to moderate.

Agreed. If by moderate you mean not raising to the bait.

Agreed. If by moderate you mean not raising to the bait.

“Well, that's the real trick , isn't it? And it's going to cost you something extra.”

Like I have said before, if they make a pro-imperial board I won't read it, much less post in it. Until then, do try to remember that this is supposed to be a game about the heroic Rebel Alliance fighting the tyranny of the evil Galactic Empire, and as such, it may occasionally be necessary to bring up why the Rebel Alliance is heroic, and why the Galactic Empire is evil, and what they do that makes them tyrannical.

The Galactic Empire consists of a thousand thousand

worlds caught in the iron grip of tyranny.

Using overwhelming armies and vast navies,

the Empire instituted a reign of terror among the

disheartened and enslaved planets. No world, no

system, no species was immune to the terrible

machinations of the New Order.

But the galaxy was not always such a dark and

foreboding place. Once there was a good and pure

government called the Old Republic, protected

by the shining light of the Jedi Knights. Into this

Utopia, however, there appeared unscrupulous

individuals who thirsted for wealth, power, and

domination. Slowly, cunningly, they destroyed

the Republic from within, creating the evil and

corrupt Empire.

An ambitious senator named Palpatine, proponent

of the New Order, declared himself Emperor

and consolidated his power by destroying the

Jedi Knights and disbanding the Imperial Senate.

But some worlds resisted. At first this rebellion

was disorganized and ill-equipped, but as more

planets joined against the tyranny the new Alliance

became a force to be reckoned with.

In response, the Emperor ordered a military

build-up unprecedented in galactic history. A terrible

weapon was designed, a weapon powerful

enough to destroy whole planets - the Death Star

battle station. It became the cornerstone of the

New Order's governing doctrine.

With the Senate dissolved, the Emperor gave

his regional governors direct control and a free

hand in administering their territories. From this

point on, the Empire would be ruled by fear. Fear

would keep local governments in line. Fear of the

Imperial Fleet — and fear of the Death Star.

Recently, the Rebel Alliance has won a significant

battle at Yavin by destroying the Death Star.

Enraged by this action, the Emperor has ordered

the might of the Empire to crush the hated Alliance

and its dream of a New Republic. Now the

war has really begun ...

(Introduction to WEG Imperial soucebook)

Edited by ErikB

I can always tell when it's peak hours for our friends from across the pond. I have to go through 2-3 pages of posts to catch up.

Very amusing.

I can always tell when it's peak hours for our friends from across the pond. I have to go through 2-3 pages of posts to catch up.

Very amusing.

Blablabla (edited for the reading pleasure of people who have you on ignore.)

This will be my last outreach... I will be civil and direct and I hope for once I will get through to you, Erik.

How much pleasure do you derive from this behaviour?

Don't you think it would be more appropriate not to harrass people as much as you do, especially concidering that this thread was specifically created by someone to vent their frustration regarding this exact behaviour?

How about creating one topic about this chip that you have on your shoulder and sticking all the musings and wonderings you have on this subject into that one topic?

I think a lot of people are mostly fed up with the creation of tons of topics which basically amount to the same back and forth each time? It would also allow you to engage actively in the other topics without having to parade the same schtick in front of everyone's faces each and every time people are trying to have a conversation according to their preferences.

Heck, I'd even vote for that topic to be made sticky as long as you keep all your posts on this subject matter within its confines.

It should be clear to you by now (and should have been for a while now) that you are not creating a lot of sympathy for your team. Nowadays, said team is basically you and you alone, and you have managed to alienate pretty much everyone else on these boards with this obsessive behaviour.

Even people who think you had a point to begin with (myself included) are no longer willing to put up with this behaviour and I myself have asked you to stop invoking real life tragedies that my family had to go through at every turn. I have reported you about a dozen times over the last few weeks and will continue to do so if you keep thread crapping, being rude to people and invoke said real life tragedies.

Please consider my suggestion. It would do us, the boards and yourself a great favor if you would follow it.

Hope you get more success than I had, Dante. I genuinely tried to engage, but my guess is that's not what he wants.

Still, I guess I'm glad this thread allowed people to air some feelings! :)