Donovan was right and I was wrong

By Maelora, in General Discussion

When I joined here, Donovan told me how to 'ignore' ErikB. I thought that was a bit harsh, because I only block people who are personally rude to me, not those whose views differ from mine. I'm a negotiator by profession, and being exposed to different views doesn't bother me.

Well, I'm here to say Donovan was right and I was wrong.

ErikB isn't rude, but his one-eyed Rebel propaganda, bizarre non-sequiturs and general trolling has destroyed my tolerance. I'm Alliance to the core, so congrats, Erik - you've actually made me like the Rebels less.

What settled it for me is his ludicrous fanboyism and refusal to engage about the game. There are plenty of SW boards around, but this one should be here for FFG's fantastic role-playing games. Not to argue about Disney, 'canon' or angels dancing on the head of a pin. (Why does it matter what Disney thinks? Put Imperial Army in your game, or not, as you see fit!)

Erik has refused to discuss the game . I even offered to send him a spare Beta book (he lives in my country, alas) but of course he's not interested in playing 'Age of Rebellion'. He has continually refused to talk about the RPG, only his boss-eyed vision of what he thinks SW is and bizarre Disney fetishism.

Long story short - if anyone out there is thinking of giving him a chance, take it from me, he won't oblige you. Your messageboard experience will be sweeter for adding him to your 'ignore' list.

Thanks Donovan - next time you suggest something, I shall listen.

Marcy

xxx

I am sorry he burnt you to the point where you had to post this.

I have him ignored as well, but I can still read his posts when he makes an interesting point. His negativity does truly grate on the nerves at time, along with the threads he is in being closed, and I can understand your frustration.

You often make interesting points, and I for one hope you stick around on the forum. Eric ignored or not.

Thank you, FangGrip. Appreciate it. The irony is that I probably agree with the broad thrust of what Erik says, but he says it in such a demented way that I end up feeling the opposite.

He does have some valid points and seems to actually know his real-world history. But his clumsy grabs for attention distort whatever message he's trying to get across.

I just see him as the gross kid in school, eating worms and doing bizarre things to get attention. Heck, he has his own thread with over 40 pages and counting, which is just him arguing pointlessly with saner board posters. I'm not playing that game anymore.

Ultimately he isn't interested in FFG's amazing RPG, and I really just want to talk about the game, to learn from my fellow players and share experiences. Erik sadly won't do that, no matter how I try to engage him.

I'll note that ErikB has mischaracterized Star Wars' own penchant for " shades of moral ambiguity "... for example, the theme that you had going on with your 'Bad Company' as 'allied' antagonists... ya know, even though the original trilogy itself does that.

ya know, even though the original trilogy itself does that.

Yep, that's pretty much Luke's whole story right there. Manipulated by both sides, but winning the final battle by using redemption instead.

And yes, I wanted to have the 'Bad Company' as a dark mirror of the PCs own cell, a cautionary tale of what might happen if you lose yourself and your ideals, forget the reasons you are fighting for...

ErikB isn't rude, but his one-eyed Rebel propaganda, bizarre non-sequiturs and general trolling has destroyed my tolerance. I'm Alliance to the core, so congrats, Erik - you've actually made me like the Rebels less.

We'll have to agree to disagree about rudeness--I find his brand of push-poll "discussion" questions inherently rude and obnoxious. I don't know if it works differently across the pond, but I get plenty of that kind of approach around election time, so I really don't care to deal with it on a forum I visit for recreational purposes.

Don't admit that Donovan is right. It's just going to go to his head :)

We'll have to agree to disagree about rudeness--I find his brand of push-poll "discussion" questions inherently rude and obnoxious. I don't know if it works differently across the pond, but I get plenty of that kind of approach around election time, so I really don't care to deal with it on a forum I visit for recreational purposes.

Let's please not turn this into a bash Erik topic.

Everyone has their own level of tolerance and viewpoints.

Some viewpoints are valid; others are not based in reality or objective evidence.

This is 'The Thread that Had to be Made', and I thank you for making it.

I've had him on ignore for about a month or two, but I do occasionally see him quoted by others, and it's always the same obnoxious cries for attention.

Bottom line, we're here to talk about the game. He is not.

Well said. It's a shame it had to come to this, but alas, some people just won't stop pushing buttons until they hit the one that erodes the last bit of tolerance left.

Did you find someone else to send that beta book to? :D I'd be happy to discuss the game with you at length. *wink wink*

*coughareyouintheUKcough*

Why, yes. Yes I am. ;)

Maelora,

Yeah, sorry it came to that, but sadly I've been here long enough to recognize that he's one leopard that won't be changing his spots. As you noted, he's got no interest in discussing the game, and only in trying to stir the pot.

Let's please not turn this into a bash Erik topic.

Agreed. The less said about him, the better.

Why, yes. Yes I am. ;)

Well darn there goes my chances. :P She'd offered me a copy of the beta book, but I had answered at the time 'not until others in the UK who responded to her thread got theirs first'.

I hadn't heard back from her, so I assumed that someone more deserving got sent a book. :) Still, one could hope, nai?

I joined the Donovan Was Right wagon a few days ago myself. It's been refreshing.

Why does it matter what Disney thinks?

Because FFG might want to avoid producing material that either won't make it past the licencing people or will be quickly outdated by all these new Star Wars movies and TV shows Disney is making.

Why does it matter what Disney thinks?

Because FFG might want to avoid producing material that either won't make it past the licencing people or will be quickly outdated by all these new Star Wars movies and TV shows Disney is making.

FFG is quite aware of what their license allows for. You, on the other hand, do not have a clue. And your skewed idea of how you think things should work is so far beneath their notice that you aren't even a blip on their radar. But you are an endless source of amusement for me, if not everyone.

I look forwards to an epic I TOLD YOU SO!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

I look forwards to an epic I TOLD YOU SO!

AAAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEEEEEEEHAHAHAHARRRRRRHAAAAAAAARGH!

Jegergryte, there's a reason people asked for others to stop quoting ErikB...

Obviously.

At least you tried to be nice and expose your opinion politely and bring some peace at the forums.

Thanks Maelora :)

Peace and Diplomacy uses to come when EVERYONE wishes it trully.

Edited by Josep Maria