Cursed Items

By dkw, in Fan Creations

dkw said:

On that same note about Dimensional Symbols, by following guidelines set down by Kevin, if something is impossible to do, then it isn't considered an option. Since there are no Gates with that symbol, it would not be required to complete the Discard requirement.

About retiring, only the most powerful Cursed Stuff would have anything like that. Everything else doesn't prevent Retiring, and thus can be dealt with by Retiring, which feels like a cop out of today's Internet/Entitlement Generation where if someone is losing, they quit so their "score/ranking" and personal pride isn't affected. Very few people still follow through to the end, even when things are going bad and blame it on everyone else. In truth, the Internet is actually to blame for this.

Another problem with Retiring, as with Bank Loans, is that everyone runs to the nearest Investigator, gives them all their Items, quits, and comes back with a healthy Investigator, and gets back their stuff, plus the possibility to get better stuff from an already partially depleted deck of cards where the majority of the lesser goods have already been cycled to the bottom of the deck and/or claimed by other Investigators. Heck, unless you care about the Score, you could claim almost the entire Common and Unique Item decks simply by Retiring Investigators every turn. By taking away that option, it gets the other Investigators working to help remove the powerful Curses that are crippling someone.

First, I would like to say that I too have come to despise the current trend of whining and giving up that I see in the current generation (I'll admit, I've been guilty of it many times within the past 5+ years). It's certainly there, I witness it almost every day even on a college campus. However, I think blaming the internet for this problem is absurd. Rather, it the crux of the issue is wealth and the standard of living. An increase in the standard of living is always a good thing, but an unfortunate side-effect is that as things become easier, people who are used to that expect everything to be easy.

Now, it's not as black and white as all that, but I believe this is the fundamental issue behind what you're seeing. If you feel a need to discuss this more, perhaps you could start a thread over in the random banter subforum.

Second, you can't just retire an investigator anyways, they have to have at least 2 Injury or Madness cards. Not very hard to get, granted, but it's still not an automatic free pass as that can take several turns of accomplishing nothing, which is basically suicide in most games. I disagree that retiring is 'fundamental' to the game anyways. It didn't even come about until Dunwich was released, so it's clearly not that inherent a right. I see the idea of cutting off retirement temporarily in order to screw with cursed investigators is quite fine.

The magnifying glass gives Clues in addition to the Clues you just gained, if that makes a difference.

Maybe for Atonement, choose an Investigator and that Investigator gets rid of all Cursed Items?

For the Rosary, give it the same no hand bonus as the Cross, since many people carry rosaries instead of crosses, and employ them in the same manner?

+1 Luck wouldn't be bad, but the heirloom seems to be a little powerful against Cursed stuff. How about adding something that helps protect against a regular Curse?

P.S. The anonimity of the internet caused the "Entitlement Generation" to double in size overnight.

And, for those people who like the idea of Cursed Items, but think they are too powerful...

Guardian-Angel-Front-Side.jpg

A couple more.

Witch-Broom-Front-Side.jpg

Unlucky-Charm-Front-Side.jpg

Sothis said:

Here are some items that aren't cursed, but they are used with Cursed Items.

ix9x5k.jpg

33p5aar.jpg

2usif7s.jpg

I'm thinking of adding +1 Luck (or something) to the Heirloom and making it more like $5. That way it's more useful. Ideas?

I'm not a theist... Buuut, how will throwing away your rosary get rid of a curse? ;') shouldn't that get you an extra curse?

dkw said:

A couple more.

Witch-Broom-Front-Side.jpg

Unlucky-Charm-Front-Side.jpg

Witch Broom is AWESOME!

Avi_dreader said:

Sothis said:

Here are some items that aren't cursed, but they are used with Cursed Items.

ix9x5k.jpg

33p5aar.jpg

2usif7s.jpg

I'm thinking of adding +1 Luck (or something) to the Heirloom and making it more like $5. That way it's more useful. Ideas?

I'm not a theist... Buuut, how will throwing away your rosary get rid of a curse? ;') shouldn't that get you an extra curse?

Perhaps it destroys the item and is also destroyed in the process. That seems thematic enough.

Sure, why not ;') I don't complain about any of the other unreasonable occurances in this game.

The witch broom was intentional. Not all Curses are truly bad.

As it stands there are
  • 22 Cursed Unique Items for 109 Uniques
  • 5 Cursed Common Items for 103 Commons
  • 1 Cursed Spell for 112 Spells
  • 1 Cursed Exhibit for 22 Exhibits
  • 1 Cursed Special Investigator Card
  • 1 Herald
  • 1 Guardian

I'm still assuming all Cursed Items go into a single deck, and placeholder cards go into the other decks. That way it doesn't matter if there's only 1 Cursed Exhibit Item (or whatever), you still have a set chance of drawing a Cursed Item from any given deck based on how many placeholders you put in.

Especially since the difference between a Cursed Unique, Common, or Exhibit Item is technically meaningless. It just establishes what kind of item they are treated as in case some effect comes up where it would matter. (Though I don't think there IS such an effect, but just in case.)

The Witch Broom and the Unlucky Charm are both cool!

For the Rosary I like the idea of making it like the Cross. I'll take a look at it.

I don't think Atonement needs to be limited to one player. Though I am assuming Cursed Items won't be flooding the game. And even if they are, they would start coming back out pretty quick. Either way removing them all at once doesn't seem overpowered. Feel free to change your version if you ever use it though.

I also like the idea of the Heirloom protecting against Curses (such as discarding them easier). I'll try that.

@ Avi: The Cursed Item devours the Rosary (or vice-versa) in a horrifying act of anti-geometry that results in both items winking out of existence. That's why the Rosary is discarded. Thematic! XD

Play it however you wish.

Think up some Cursed Items that you have to use, or always affect you, but can be just as beneficial as malevolent. The Voodoo Doll and Witch Broom are some ideas like that.

I think Horror in Clay, Canopic Jar, Innsmouth Mirror, and Sphere of Pain all fall into that category. The benefits are greater with some than with others, but all have at least some positive side that can (or must) be utilized. I also have three more cursed items to post that should be done tonight.

I try not to speak for other people's creation, because I usually get it wrong.

Here is another spell.
Note: if something says a Gate/Monster appears at the location, you have to draw again, because if something is not allowed to be done, it can't be an option (a Guideline set forth by Kevin Wilson).

Dark-Magic-Circle-Front-Side.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by this: "I try not to speak for other people's creation, because I usually get it wrong." Did I offend you? I can't figure out the meaning of your last two posts. Sorry but please clarify?

Here are the new versions of these cards:

suzpfp.jpg

I added the Horror bonus but not the other aspects of the Cross. I really like the Rosary this way. Thanks for the idea!

1zeupnm.jpg

Added the first line, and simplified the previous ability. This makes it clear that Cursed Items still have a chance to inflict their immediate effects before you get rid of them. This means the Charmed Heirloom can actually be a bad thing for some Cursed Items (for instance with the Horror in Clay, an item where the detriment is paid immediately but the benefit is ongoing).

2v2cfat.jpg

I looked at this one some more, but did not change it.

And here's some new ones:

I am assuming Ancient One Curses are just like Cursed Items, only worse and you cannot get rid of them except in the way it describes (i.e. no Rosaries etc). This one punishes the investigators for screwing with things that are beyond mortal understanding. But in keeping with the mythos, if you're crazy then it's all cool.

2dkfs6w.jpg

This item is like a beacon to monsters.

2epobv9.jpg

This could be good or bad, depending on where you were planning to go next.

288a62w.jpg

I liked these items, especially the first two (especially the name and effect of the first), but I think the second one's a bit harsh unless it is clarified that it does not eat up your movement every turn.

dkw said:

I try not to speak for other people's creation, because I usually get it wrong.

Here is another spell.
Note: if something says a Gate/Monster appears at the location, you have to draw again, because if something is not allowed to be done, it can't be an option (a Guideline set forth by Kevin Wilson).

Dark-Magic-Circle-Front-Side.jpg

Interesting :') lets you play double Kates.

Avi_dreader said:

I liked these items, especially the first two (especially the name and effect of the first), but I think the second one's a bit harsh unless it is clarified that it does not eat up your movement every turn.

Ah, yeah that's why I made it occur during Upkeep. Technically you would still get your movement points during the Movement phase, but you're right that it probably will be misinterpreted a lot of the time. I'll clarify it.

You did not offend me. In the past, when I have commented on people's creations in regards to what catagory it would fit in, I usually end up making the wrong assumption, mislabeling something, etc., which only confuses other people instead of clarifying.

Understand that with Dark Magic Circle, someone has to stay at the Location after casting for the Circle to stay in play for any length of time, slowly being drained in the process.

Yeah and then you can't use it again because it's discarded. So how come it's cursed, anyway? There's no penalty to simply choosing not to cast it, and it goes away after you do cast it. Since the payment is voluntary (someone has to end their move there) it seems less like a curse and more like a regular spell.

Is it just so it is treated as a Cursed Item (i.e. doesn't count toward # of items, can't discard it, etc)?

It would be a very cool spell to have available when you're making your last couple seals, or when Atlach is the AO. Come to think of it we really do need more cursed spells!

More cursed spells are required.

How would you make it worse, required cast, etc.? I might just take Gate out of it, and just leave Monsters not allowed.

Here is an attempt to make the latest spell more cursed.

Dark-Magic-Circle-Front-Side-1.jpg

Maybe a good way to force people to cast Cursed Spells would be to have them hurt you until you cast them. Like holding the spell in your mind is painful because it's cursed, you know?

Movement: Place on any Location. No monster or gate allowed in that Location.
Arkham Encounters: Lose 2 Sanity if this card is not on a Location.
Upkeep: Investigators at same Location lose 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity. Discard if no investigator is at same Location.

Then it's a race to go somewhere and cast it, which might be cool. You could use all sorts of different slow drain effects for different spells. In fact a spell that gets a counter every turn it's not cast, and eventually does something horrible if it has X counters, might be fun. Hm...

Don't try to put too much text on a single card, as Spells have about 1/3 less space on the card then other Item cards.

You could also make spells that you have to cast if some condition is met, like with my Vengence Spell having to cast when you suffer Combat Damage.

Not a bad idea for it.

Dark-Magic-Circle-Front-Side-2.jpg