Cursed Items

By dkw, in Fan Creations

dkw said:

Maybe I selected the wrong thing, but it is Cursed, so you can't Trade it or Lose it. How would you make it more brutal without it going away to easily? You do lose all Ally benefits as well.
You still suffer the ill effects of going Insane.

What about the Cursed Blessing?

Two problems with the cursed blessing... One, it fluffs up the size of the corruption deck (making it harder to get to the red cards). Two, it doesn't seem to be that negative an effect it basically counterbalances a blessing— sure, it's going to be a pain once you lose the blessing, buuut, that could be a while (and you can probably seal a gate with a triangle by then (maybe). Oh wait, would you draw this corruption card and another corruption card as well when you draw it? So has it been established that Cursed Items can not be traded?

dkw said:

You kind of just negated the purpose of being Blessed. 4s become 3s and still fail.

It starts off as a negated blessing. It ends up as a curse :') ::cough cough:: on the subject of curses, I created an AO (my first Strange Eons creation) that is heavy on the curses :') take a look.

Yeah, it saves space on the card to apply the ruling, "Cursed Cards can't be Traded or Lost." If the card isn't labeled Cursed , then it can be traded/lost.

It is not a Corruption Card, just uses the Corruption Template to apply the "Discard if (Insert Gate Symbol) is Closed." It is an Item.

How about a card that changes the properties of current items, instead of introducing new ones or overly complicating the idea. You can never be sure which items are safe. Not sure which deck(s) this would be best added to. Text and wording a bit rough, just threw it together after seeing the post. Of coursse a cursed item could not be sold, traded, dropped or otherwise willfully discarded. Perhaps something like a Will(?) check to avoid having to use the item otherwise it is the item of choice by default, if relevant to the situ. Maybe getting too complex there...hmm.

Cursed-Item.jpg

dkw said:

Lets move the Cursed Item discussion into its own thread, so we don't clutter up other threads.

Rule ideas about Cursed Items.

Cost $0, and must buy along with something else.
No benefit, only penalty, and can't be lost.

Or...

Cost money, not required to buy.
Has both a benefit and penalty.

Or...

Any combination of above and/or other ideas.

Ideas for getting rid of cursed items:
1. Discard another Item of the same catagory: Example: Discard a Unique Item to get rid of a Unique Cursed Item
2. Spend Clues to Discard a Cursed Item
3. Close a Gate but Don't Seal the Gate and Discard 1 Cursed Item
4. When becoming Blessed, also Discard 1 Cursed Item
5. When Lost in Time and Space, Discard 1 Cursed Item
6. Draw a Corruption/Madness/Injury Card and Discard 1 Cursed Item

An item along the lines of you don't have to buy, and provides a benefit for a cost.

To dkw that's the point it negates the blessing...so really doesn't do anything until you loss you blessing and if your cursed guess you gonna auto fail all skill checks and there are some encounters that roll vs. no skill, like the one in Unnamable , roll 4 die if you get 4 successes and a seal no devoured!

1) They have a cost of $0 .

2) When shopping one must be bought , so replaces your normal purchase ie Elder Sign, King in Yellow, Voodoo Doll...you must purchase the doll and nothing else. If 2 or more cursed items are drawn you chose what one to buy.

3) All/ Some (?) cursed items should have a dimensional symbol except Moon.

4) Cursed items c annot be lost, stolen or traded ie one way to ride yourself of a cursed item is to close the gate with its dimensional symbol or if a Task/ Mission complete it. Maybe some cursed cards have unique way to ride yourself of them.

5) Cursed items should have a positive ability but a equal or greater negative one .

6) @ 1/20 ratio

Slight problem is that Items are optional use. So, Item X is now Cursed, big deal. I will just use Item Y now. Plus, more often then not, it will affect Spells as they are Items, and people are wary of using Spells anyways, so no great loss.

We think that a Cursed Object should either have a Benefit for a Cost, or have some Cost that stays in effect until the Item is discarded.

dkw said:

Slight problem is that Items are optional use. So, Item X is now Cursed, big deal. I will just use Item Y now. Plus, more often then not, it will affect Spells as they are Items, and people are wary of using Spells anyways, so no great loss.

We think that a Cursed Object should either have a Benefit for a Cost, or have some Cost that stays in effect until the Item is discarded.

A person who possesses a cursed item must always use it (when appropriate) unless they can pass a Will(x) check. Not sure what the 'x' factor would be though, equal to greatest penalty of the item, or perhaps a cursed item has a specific 'Resist Curse' stat.

The card I suggested wouldn't apply to spells.

Not to forget the card that started it all by TatteredKing ...

There card...

TatteredKing.png

Mine updated...

Trilobite-Fossil-Front-Side.jpg

and for some reason its GIANT!!! llorando.gif

dkw said:

Fine-Line-of-Insanity-Front-Side.jpg

The next is an Item, but trying the idea of having to close a Gate to get rid of it, so it is on a Corruption background.

Cursed-Blessing-Front-Side.jpg

I agree with Avi for sure, Fine Line is an awesome card as long as you're not a spellcaster. (Almost no one has Allies.) I don't think it needs to be called a Task either. As an item it would work the same way.

Cursed Blessing is a neat idea, but as described it seems kind of awkward. What if it didn't give you a Blessing at all? (Call it Hexed or something.) The anti-Shotgun ability would be a great Cursed Item all by itself.

Gam, I don't agree with the idea that drawing a Cursed Item ends your shopping encounter. Cursed Items should have a balanced effect in themselves. If they also make you lose a turn (by preventing you from buying an item which is why you were there) they would be much more horrible.

Putting Cursed Items on Corruption cards looks like it would work okay. The fact that it doesn't have a picture really bugs me though, pictures add so much character and flavor to cards. I think I'd rather go without the dimension symbol (just type it in etc). Also my friend said he'll look at the code for Strange Eons to see if he can add the capability of dimension symbols on items. That would be nice.

I like the new fossil too.

14u8g34.jpg

Updated this to $0 and move it into this thread. When the horror in clay and the statuette were found in the story, there was a definite terrror level increase. And when cultists were interrogated they gave up a lot of information about Cthulhu and his cult, so they give Clues when defeated.

x0tsih.jpg

Fixed the phase on this one. The sacred container gives you a great advantage in sealing the power of the AO. However, like all items having to do with mummies they are horribly cursed and exact a high price.

Well there is only a few of them in the deck you missing your shopping turn will happen rarely...but keep in mind these are not to be fair there are plenty of encounters that make you loss a turn for no good reason, etc

Yeah I understand. I suppose it just depends how bad you want Cursed Items to be!

29e2kj9.jpg

hahahaha this card cracks me up! You are an ugly freak and your friends are repulsed by you! XD

The Mirror could also protect you vs. monster Horror Damage sense you yourself are now a semi-monster? Perhaps gives you a horror boost like the Cross, protects your sanity like the Golden Trumpet or ignore Horror Checks!

Oooh that's a good idea. Or maybe +1 Evade since you blend in with the monsters and they may not attack you. That way you're still vulnerable to horror (monsters are still scary).

9rm5xu.jpg

Alright I added +1 Evade.

11lim3o.jpg

You don't want to be messing around with old Whateley's personal stuff. It's all bad! Like the Dunwich Herald, this card makes the Dunwich Horror more likely to appear. Which is good since it barely ever does. ;)

Isn't it called "dunwich progression track"?

*goes back into shadows*

Um, no.

281yljs.jpg

Here's one that wracks your body with pain until you lose consciousness. Other investigators are advised to keep their distance though, since the sphere will drain their lifeforce to supplement yours.

And of course we need some basic cursed weapons, so here's a few. They have some combat dice but not many. The last one is even weaker and takes up both hands, but heals you.

2hx27f4.jpg

34fk4mp.jpg

1twpas.jpg

MrsGamura you probably just like cursed items because you think they will keep me from shopping. But that isn't going to happen. Shopping, Injury and Madness are the most fun things in Arkham Horror. That and retiring investigators.

MWA HA HA!

Sothis said:

Um, no.

Well it certainly isn't called "dunwich horror track". lol dunwich horror track. good one.

Oh really? Might want to check the rulebook again, kiddo.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/DH_rules_english.pdf

Bottom of page 7: "Whenever the Dunwich Horror track is filled with three Dunwich Horror tokens (accomplished by monsters moving into the vortices on the Dunwich board), the Dunwich Horror enters play." That term is also used in the side box on that page, and EVERYWHERE ELSE the Dunwich Horror track is referred to.

You're really straining for something to hassle me about this time. It just makes you look silly.

Sothis said:

Oh really? Might want to check the rulebook again, kiddo.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/DH_rules_english.pdf

Bottom of page 7: "Whenever the Dunwich Horror track is filled with three Dunwich Horror tokens (accomplished by monsters moving into the vortices on the Dunwich board), the Dunwich Horror enters play." That term is also used in the side box on that page, and EVERYWHERE ELSE the Dunwich Horror track is referred to.

You're really straining for something to hassle me about this time. It just makes you look silly.

Oh, jeez. It begins.

lol this is a huge misunderstanding. for some reason it slipped my mind that the dunwich monster is actually called the dunwich horror. I promise I have nothing personal against you, it's just stupid me. It happens to me sometimes. I don't know why but "dunwich horror track" sounded wrong in my head for some reason. It really isn't you, it's me.

I still think you're not very good at accepting criticism though. You got all worked up in my thread just because I said that forcing people to buy stuff would be unfan. So yeah, there's something wrong with me, but there's something wrong with you too. At least I'm willing to admit it. You should really learn to calmly accept criticism and not lose your mind because someone doesn't like your ideas.

Heh heh heh

Forum-Troll.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. :o ) <Draws Curse card and is branded as a 'Hypocrit'>

lol nice card

Actually Kroen, I think it's time to call a truce. The whole reason I post custom stuff here is to get feedback. I just don't like the way you were rude about some people's submissions (they weren't even mine until yesterday's posts). In fact you can see many places where a custom item I posted was commented on and called broken, useless, or even laughed at. But since I knew it was not written rudely I didn't mind, and I fixed the cards in question. If that's not "accepting criticism", I don't know what is.

So if you have feedback on something feel free to share. I post on here because I WANT feedback and more ideas, i just don't want it to be sarcastic or condescending. The reason people are irritated by you these past few days is because you express feedback in a very hostile way. Given that english isn't your first language, perhaps you just don't realize how you sound sometimes.

Thank you for explaining about the Dunwich Horror track misunderstanding. After this I hope we can be friendly, because honestly it's not fun getting into arguments on the internet. ;)

Sothis said:

lol nice card

Actually Kroen, I think it's time to call a truce. The whole reason I post custom stuff here is to get feedback. I just don't like the way you were rude about some people's submissions (they weren't even mine until yesterday's posts). In fact you can see many places where a custom item I posted was commented on and called broken, useless, or even laughed at. But since I knew it was not written rudely I didn't mind, and I fixed the cards in question. If that's not "accepting criticism", I don't know what is.

So if you have feedback on something feel free to share. I post on here because I WANT feedback and more ideas, i just don't want it to be sarcastic or condescending. The reason people are irritated by you these past few days is because you express feedback in a very hostile way. Given that english isn't your first language, perhaps you just don't realize how you sound sometimes.

Thank you for explaining about the Dunwich Horror track misunderstanding. After this I hope we can be friendly, because honestly it's not fun getting into arguments on the internet. ;)

I agree. I'm sorry my criticisms sound harsh, I pormise you it was never my intent. Truce.