Cursed Items

By dkw, in Fan Creations

My Edit Button reached its "time limit" and is no longer visible.

A more powerful Cursed Item.

Garbled-Writing-Front-Side.jpg

Alright so it looks like Cursed Items can be removed by Blessing the investigator, or by whatever the card says (so it can be different for each one). Why don't we format them the same so they're easy to read? Like...

First line is "Cursed Item" in bold.

Next is items you can discard to discard the Cursed Item. Just list these in bold (like how missions have locations listed).

Then any effects the Cursed Item has are listed as normal.

Also I assume we're going with "Cursed Items cannot be traded" unless noted otherwise. Also, I would think we need this too: "Cursed Items do not count toward your # of items for purposes of discarding, as when going insane or unconscious." Otherwise you'll get really screwed if you wind up with two or more Cursed Items, because you'll have to discard most everything except them whenever you go to 0.

"Can't be traded or lost" saves space on the card, but I see what you are saying.

I am just tossing ideas out there to see what people like, and to set some basic guidelines for power level of cursed items.

Here is what our general rules/guidelines are for Cursed Items (so far):

1. If you draw a Cursed Item as part of a Shopping Encounter/Ability, you must take it, and draw another card to replace it and resolve the shopping as normal. You are limited to 1 Cursed Item per instance.
2. Cursed Items can't be Traded or Lost by any conventional means. Each will have its own Discard Option.
3. Players set their own limits to the number and type of Cursed Items they wish to include in a game.
4. Cursed Items have a cost of $0, unless they provide both a benefit and penalty.
5. Cursed Items should have more penalty then benefit.
6. Cursed Items do not count towards the number of Items you have to discard.

Any comments on that guideline list?

Also...

Scented-Candles-Front-Side.jpg

(Warning: long post!) Those guidelines sound good to me. I still think it would be really cool if Cursed Items had dimension symbols on them, and "magically disappeared" when matching gates closed. It would be a neat alternative way to get rid of them in games where they're more frequently found.

And since I won't have access to Strange Eons until tomorrow night or even Sunday, I have to post some ideas here in text form. Sorry it's boring this way, but I'll make cards when I can. First some cursed weapons, basic stuff to fill out the deck:

- Vampiric Blade - Physical Weapon 1H +2 Combat. You must use this weapon for all combat checks. Lose 1 Stamina at the end of combat.
- Cursed Sword - Physical & Magical Weapon 2H +4 Combat. You must use this weapon for all combat checks.
- Cursed Knife - Physical & Magical Weapon 1H +2 Combat. You must use this weapon for all combat checks.

Then some cursed items inspired by Kroen's Cursed Relic:

- Warped Relic - Gain 1 clue each turn but lose 1 San or 1 Sta. Discard if insane or unconscious.
- Drug Addiction - Each turn regain 1 San & 1 Sta but lose $1. Discard if no money left to lose.
- Corrupt Retainer - Each turn gain $1 but lose 1 San or 1 Sta. Discard if insane or unconscious.
- Tome of Fixation - Upkeep: Gain 1 Clue and discard 1 item. Discard if no items left to discard.

A few items that do something each turn whether you want them to or not:

- Cube of Impossible Geometry - (-1 Speed) Upkeep: Lose 1 Sanity. This loss cannot be prevented. Roll Lore (-1) to gain 1 clue. Discard if insane.
- Glutton's Bib - Upkeep: Gain 1 Stamina, lose 1 Sanity. This loss cannot be prevented. Discard if insane.
- Obsession Coin - Upkeep: Gain 1 Sanity, lose 1 Stamina. This loss cannot be prevented. Discard if unconscious.

An item that you have to exhaust to use, so the benefit is good once it's in play:

- Tome of Mastery $3 - Add a doom token to the doom track when this card comes into play. Exhaust to roll Lore check to gain 1 Sanity and lose 1 Stamina, or vice versa (your choice).

And here's some of my favorites:

- Innsmouth Mirror: You now have a horror rating of -2 and 2 Sanity damage. Any other investigator moving onto or through your location must roll this horror check immediately.
- Globe of Evil: Any other investigator moving onto or through your location loses 1 Stamina. This loss cannot be prevented.
- Whateley's Notes: If the Dunwich Horror expansion is not in play, discard this Cursed Item and draw a new one. Otherwise, each time there is a monster surge add one token to the Dunwich Horror track.

Two Uniques and one Common that aren't Cursed, but deal with Cursed Items:

- Unique Item - Charmed Heirloom $2 - You may not draw Cursed Items or have them in your possession.
- Unique Item - Rosary $0 - Discard to discard one Cursed Item. (Another starting item for Mary?)
- Task - Confession - All Cursed Items are discarded.

Most of these items are pretty tame and just touch on the basics. I plan to make some more thematic ones later on, like the Canopic Jar and Horror in Clay which both had more flavor and more specific effects. Items that slowly reduce your max Sanity or Stamina, meaning certain doom but giving a nice effect in the meantime. And on and on... All this junk should keep me busy on Strange Eons for weeks to come! (If I stay motivated that is.) ;)

Sothis said:

Alright so it looks like Cursed Items can be removed by Blessing the investigator, or by whatever the card says (so it can be different for each one). Why don't we format them the same so they're easy to read? Like...

First line is "Cursed Item" in bold.

Next is items you can discard to discard the Cursed Item. Just list these in bold (like how missions have locations listed).

Then any effects the Cursed Item has are listed as normal.

Also I assume we're going with "Cursed Items cannot be traded" unless noted otherwise. Also, I would think we need this too: "Cursed Items do not count toward your # of items for purposes of discarding, as when going insane or unconscious." Otherwise you'll get really screwed if you wind up with two or more Cursed Items, because you'll have to discard most everything except them whenever you go to 0.

Mmmm... I think items should be tradable unless otherwise noted. But it'd be good to have untradable cursed items :') some curses stick, some curses spread.

Hah! I love Innsmouth Mirror. Untradable? :')

Chasing-Rumors-Front-Side.jpg

) should be at the end! lol

May change it to where the tokens are added when in comes into play but would change a few things first!

Basically once you start it you want to finish it ASAP...

so will want to get Injury, Madness and Curse then start this bad boy...gave the limit because didn't want people to use this card to get rid of un wanted curses.

You need to define, "When you Start."

What kinds of Cursed stuff could be designed to be removed when a specific Gate is closed?

Mysterious-Potion-Front-Side.jpg

Avi_dreader said:

Hah! I love Innsmouth Mirror. Untradable? :')

Of course! Yeah that's going to be a fun one. :D

dkw said:

There is a little * next to the General Store. When you sacrifice the curse.

MrsGamura said:

Chasing-Rumors-Front-Side.jpg

) should be at the end! lol

May change it to where the tokens are added when in comes into play but would change a few things first!

Basically once you start it you want to finish it ASAP...

so will want to get Injury, Madness and Curse then start this bad boy...gave the limit because didn't want people to use this card to get rid of un wanted curses.

Ehhh... A bit weak. I'd almost be glad to get this thing. I mean, yeah, it costs a few turns, but it's an alternative way of sealing. On the other hand... If the card went like this...

;'D

When you recieve this Mission place 5 Tokens on it. Upkeep: Remove a Token. If the last Token is removed before the Mission is completed, the Ancient One awakens.

General Store: instead of having an encounter here, you must draw an injury.

Curiosity Shop: instead of having an encounter here, you must draw a madness.

Ye Old Magic Shop: instead of having an encounter here, you must draw a curse.

Effect: Seal any unstable location. The investigator who completes this mission can not retire.

What do you think? You procrastinate the destruction of the world, but one of your investigators ends up a drooling gibbering ruined wreck of human flesh :'D

dkw said:

What kinds of Cursed stuff could be designed to be removed when a specific Gate is closed?

Mysterious-Potion-Front-Side.jpg

I wouldn't pay 3 bucks for that, a one in six chance of being blessed? Perhaps it would be worth it if it was 1-4 curse 5-6 bless.

Yea reason for mine it's usually hard to get cursed but not to hard to be Insane/ injured once you 'pop you can't stop'...so mostly investigators will try to injure and curse themselves to complete this lol

If I did it your way the clock would start ASAP and may add another location...

and would not replace the encounter because something bad could happen to you!

Chasing-Rumors-Front-Side-1.jpg

Gain works the same as sacrifice but instead you gain the effect...in this case Curse, Injury, Madness...so have to be in the appropriate location during the upkeep, etc

may switch the cards you gain ie Madness, Injury, Curse...

Yes you would pay $3 for that potion, you don't have a choice because it's a Cursed Item! That's why it sucks so bad.

I really like the new take on the Cursed Mission too. Gaining penalties in exchange for a good thing. Sweet!

Mysterious-Potion-Front-Side-1.jpg

Vengeance-Front-Side.jpg

MrsGamura said:

Yea reason for mine it's usually hard to get cursed but not to hard to be Insane/ injured once you 'pop you can't stop'...so mostly investigators will try to injure and curse themselves to complete this lol

If I did it your way the clock would start ASAP and may add another location...

and would not replace the encounter because something bad could happen to you!

Chasing-Rumors-Front-Side-1.jpg

Gain works the same as sacrifice but instead you gain the effect...in this case Curse, Injury, Madness...so have to be in the appropriate location during the upkeep, etc

may switch the cards you gain ie Madness, Injury, Curse...

Hee hee hee... I almost feel bad for the investigator who draws this °3 speed investigators can't make it°, *other worlders can't make it°, *out of towners can't make it° °people who draw a broken leg probably can't make it° One thing about making a curse first card— it does sem more thematic in one sense, but on the other hand, you're giving a person 3-4 turns to try to discard their curse. Hey, to accomplish a mission section you need to have an encounter at a location and still be there at the beginning of when? (I don't do missions enough to remember). Heh... The way your card is set up though, the investigator can retire as soon as they complete the mission ;.( they won't even linger around and suffer for my amusement.

Cool pic for vengeance.

Fine-Line-of-Insanity-Front-Side.jpg

The next is an Item, but trying the idea of having to close a Gate to get rid of it, so it is on a Corruption background.

Cursed-Blessing-Front-Side.jpg

Try to make the Task look more like other Task, plus Unique Items are Missions...so you go insane 4 times to get ride of it?

About dimensional symbol you could always say, "this card is considered to have so and so dimensional symbol!"

I could see an investigator Ko or Driving themselves insane with Vengeance and in the Rare case being devoured...so they gain X to the combat check using that spell where X is equal the monster stamina damage?

True

i did think about the mission being drawn by a random other world, etc encounter so may add more tokens or don't add the tokens until you start it...

Upkeep: is when you gain the Curse, etc and you have to be in the location!

X is equal to the Stamina Damage they just suffered in the last round of Combat. So, if they negated the damage with a Flesh Ward, they still have to use Vengeance, but get a +0 Combat Check.

For your mission, what if it was, "Declare when you start the Mission, but can't be in the same neighborhood as the General Store?"

dkw said:

Fine-Line-of-Insanity-Front-Side.jpg

The next is an Item, but trying the idea of having to close a Gate to get rid of it, so it is on a Corruption background.

Cursed-Blessing-Front-Side.jpg

Whoa, first of all, if Fine Line is a "task" why is it colored like a unique item. And second of all WHOA! I'd *pay* for that item. That's not a detriment! That's an awesome item! You basically have quadruple sanity! Even if you have to go to the asylum, it's pretty good (worth eight bucks— and worth giving to a player without allies or spellcasting abilities).

MrsGamura said:

Try to make the Task look more like other Task, plus Unique Items are Missions...so you go insane 4 times to get ride of it?

About dimensional symbol you could always say, "this card is considered to have so and so dimensional symbol!"

I could see an investigator Ko or Driving themselves insane with Vengeance and in the Rare case being devoured...so they gain X to the combat check using that spell where X is equal the monster stamina damage?

True

i did think about the mission being drawn by a random other world, etc encounter so may add more tokens or don't add the tokens until you start it...

Upkeep: is when you gain the Curse, etc and you have to be in the location!

Heh, but it's funnier if it can start when you are in another world ;'D instadeath. Besides, at least the investigators have five turns to prepare (perhaps you might want to add "unless you are in another world" on the part where it talks about removing tokens).

Maybe I selected the wrong thing, but it is Cursed, so you can't Trade it or Lose it. How would you make it more brutal without it going away to easily? You do lose all Ally benefits as well.
You still suffer the ill effects of going Insane.

What about the Cursed Blessing?

I may just change it back to when you start it, not being in the neighbor seems like a good idea but you could always declare you going to start it on your way to the General Store plus trying to keep the words to a little...

Jinxed-Idol-Front-Side.jpg

You kind of just negated the purpose of being Blessed. 4s become 3s and still fail.