Cursed Items

By dkw, in Fan Creations

New to the boards, looking at the different ideas. Didn't read every post in this thread, but it seems like you've created some fun items.

I had a different thought when I first saw the thread, here's my variation on the idea, inspired by stories:

There is some kind of trigger for a cursed item, perhaps the generic curse card mentioned early on, or other events determined by location cards.

When you get a cursed item card, instead of having a deck of special items, you get the next item in the deck you drew from. By the way, there's no reason to limit this to unique items, it could be common items or spells as well.

After you obtain your item, you then draw from the Cursed Item Story deck. Don't turn it over, it's a surprise.

You then have to decide before you actually use the item whether you want to chance the curse. You don't know the result, so it's pretty interesting story-wise.

Some curses should be harmless or almost harmless (lose the item, negate it's effect once, etc.) Others should be neutral, but have potential serious consequences (switch locations with the previous player, give the next player 5 clues [which could be a big help, or could trigger a story card), some could be more serious (lose 3 stamina or sanity, lose all items), and some could be horrible (the AO awakens, etc).

Bottom line - this is more realistic. If something is cursed, in many stories you don't know it. Well, that can't be done in this game, but at least you can make it a gamble to use. It also makes the curse system more flexible - imagine if you had a cursed elder sign, using it sealed the gate, maybe winning the game, but ended up killing all the characters.

simpleknight said:

New to the boards, looking at the different ideas. Didn't read every post in this thread, but it seems like you've created some fun items.

I had a different thought when I first saw the thread, here's my variation on the idea, inspired by stories:

There is some kind of trigger for a cursed item, perhaps the generic curse card mentioned early on, or other events determined by location cards.

When you get a cursed item card, instead of having a deck of special items, you get the next item in the deck you drew from. By the way, there's no reason to limit this to unique items, it could be common items or spells as well.

After you obtain your item, you then draw from the Cursed Item Story deck. Don't turn it over, it's a surprise.

You then have to decide before you actually use the item whether you want to chance the curse. You don't know the result, so it's pretty interesting story-wise.

Some curses should be harmless or almost harmless (lose the item, negate it's effect once, etc.) Others should be neutral, but have potential serious consequences (switch locations with the previous player, give the next player 5 clues [which could be a big help, or could trigger a story card), some could be more serious (lose 3 stamina or sanity, lose all items), and some could be horrible (the AO awakens, etc).

Bottom line - this is more realistic. If something is cursed, in many stories you don't know it. Well, that can't be done in this game, but at least you can make it a gamble to use. It also makes the curse system more flexible - imagine if you had a cursed elder sign, using it sealed the gate, maybe winning the game, but ended up killing all the characters.

That would be fun. I wish that FFG made a small box expansion purely around cursed items. Oh well... In the meanwhile one can dream.

presented without comment.

Cursed spell - Empty Streets

Taurmindo said:

presented without comment.

Cursed spell - Empty Streets

::Sigh:: I still think official cursed items would be such an awesome addition to the game :'/ ;.( cool spell though.

All gates are worse, but easy gates (Dreamlands etc) are worser (!) than harder gates.

The Point of Return

Desperate Times calls for Desperate Needs

Taurmindo said:

I like this one too. The return to Other World spell was a little too crippling I thought.

I'm glad somebody bumped this thread, as I hadn't seen it before. Very cool idea! Do we have any kind of consensus yet on how they should be implemented?

Avi_dreader said:

Taurmindo said:

I like this one too. The return to Other World spell was a little too crippling I thought.

yea, it would be devastating. but as long as the investigator either keeps his lore really low, or avoids the easy gates, it could still be non-crippling. perhaps change the required symbol to discard to slash to encourage going to R'lyeh..

Defensive Paranoia Monster Dare

i dunno. mostly just thinking aloud of potential cursed spell scenarios. the earlier ones in the thread seemed to lack that essential "i HAVE to use this?!" on the spell front, instead being "with great power comes a great price" spells.