Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I've been working on a new "simplified" character sheet. The next release will support both the original, pretty character sheet design, and the newer, planer design that won't use nearly as much ink. Here's what the first page will look like.

Sample Sheet

You'll be able to switch back and forth between the two styles in the Print dialog.

Oggy

The Species Menagerie 2.0 has been added in the latest update

Just downloaded the latest version, and no, there are still a lot of species missing like Falleen, Farghul, Gamorrean, Givin, Gotal and so on. Seems the extra races have been added from A-E. Ewoks is the last unofficial race to be added.

Unless there is something i'm missing?

Outstanding. Not much else to say. Can't wait to see the other apps when you finish them.

Just downloaded the latest version, and no, there are still a lot of species missing like Falleen, Farghul, Gamorrean, Givin, Gotal and so on. Seems the extra races have been added from A-E. Ewoks is the last unofficial race to be added.

I would prefer that he works on the program itself. Like making less white space on the character sheet.

of course you could add them all yourself and make it available for everyone to download that would be awesome.

Edited by AgentJ

You must be missing the fact that you can use the editor to add them yourself. Similar to adding all of the other missing information.

I would prefer that he works on the program itself. Like making less white space on the character sheet.

of course you could add them all yourself and make it available for everyone to download that would be awesome.

Actually AgentJ, the data editor does NOT have a feature for adding more species. Khalayne, I'm sorry you are correct, the 2.0 Species is incomplete on the current update, I am sure Oggy will update with the rest when he has time. He has said as much in this thread, I encourage you to read it in its entirety, Oggy has been very communicative.

Just a quick post to say thanks for getting this generator up and running. Awesome work my man.

Anybody seen a starship version going about? :-) Perhaps when I've got more time I'll give it a go (no doubt mega complicated though).

Thanks again,

Scotbloke

Just a quick post to say thanks for getting this generator up and running. Awesome work my man.

Anybody seen a starship version going about? :-) Perhaps when I've got more time I'll give it a go (no doubt mega complicated though).

Thanks again,

Scotbloke

Oggy has said he might make a vehicle version of this generator in the future, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I am loving the work of C. Steven Ross for vehicle sheets. Check it out http://triumphdespair.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/starship-sheets-more-updates/

You must be missing the fact that you can use the editor to add them yourself. Similar to adding all of the other missing information.

Actually AgentJ, the data editor does NOT have a feature for adding more species. Khalayne, I'm sorry you are correct, the 2.0 Species is incomplete on the current update, I am sure Oggy will update with the rest when he has time. He has said as much in this thread, I encourage you to read it in its entirety, Oggy has been very communicative.

Ahh, thought for a moment there were another version out there Conviction :)

Anyway its not my intention to sound impatient or anything. I realize these things take time, and Oggy's not my personal protocol droid ;) Just think this generator is awesome. Still, if he has the time some place down the road a custom race addition to the editor would be very welcome :)

My bad. I was putting in talents over the weekend and have started on skills, I just figured that the species could be added in a similar way. I am limiting my group to the ones in the CRB anyways which is why I worked on talents first and now working on skills.... going to take a while but I can not expect someone else to do all the work for me ;)

Thanks,

J

Ahh, thought for a moment there were another version out there Conviction :)

Anyway its not my intention to sound impatient or anything. I realize these things take time, and Oggy's not my personal protocol droid ;) Just think this generator is awesome. Still, if he has the time some place down the road a custom race addition to the editor would be very welcome :)

I'll try to eventually get around to creating editors for all of the data. In the meantime, you can add species by hand. That's exactly what I'm doing for the menagerie :) It takes about 5 minutes to add the basics on a species (and another 20 minutes to add the description and make the portrait). Just start with an existing species XML file, then make the appropriate changes. The Key has to be unique among all the species in the Species folder. Option keys just have to be unique to the species. Here's an example layout of the Gungan that I just put in:

<Species>
<Key>GUNGAN</Key>
<Name>Gungan</Name>
<Description>
[H4]Gungan[h4]
blah blah blah blah
</Description>
<StartingChars>
<Brawn>2</Brawn>
<Agility>3</Agility>
<Intellect>2</Intellect>
<Cunning>2</Cunning>
<Willpower>2</Willpower>
<Presence>1</Presence>
</StartingChars>
<StartingAttrs>
<WoundThreshold>10</WoundThreshold>
<StrainThreshold>10</StrainThreshold>
<Experience>100</Experience>
</StartingAttrs>
<SkillModifiers>
<SkillModifier>
<Key>COORD</Key>
<RankStart>1</RankStart>
</SkillModifier>
</SkillModifiers>
<TalentModifiers>
</TalentModifiers>
<OptionChoices>
<OptionChoice>
<Key>GUNGAB1</Key>
<Name>Subspecies</Name>
<Options>
<Option>
<Key>GUNGAB1OP1</Key>
<Name>Otolla</Name>
<Description>
The Otolla subspecies has long ears and eyes on extendable and
retractable stalks. Otolla skin is either
orange or purple in hue.
</Description>
</Option>
<Option>
<Key>GUNGAB1OP2</Key>
<Name>Ankura</Name>
<Description>
The Ankuras have hooded eyes, broad wide heads, and green skin.
Like the Otolla, they also have long ears, which are sometimes tied together
behind the head.
</Description>
</Option>
</Options>
</OptionChoice>
<OptionChoice>
<Key>GUNGAB2</Key>
<Name>Breath</Name>
<Options>
<Option>
<Key>GUNGAB2OP1</Key>
<Name>Hold Breath</Name>
<Description>Gungans can hold their breath for
a number ofrounds equal to 10 times their Brawn
rating before they risk drowning.</Description>
</Option>
</Options>
</OptionChoice>
<OptionChoice>
<Key>GUNGAB3</Key>
<Name>Swim</Name>
<Options>
<Option>
<Key>GUNGAB3OP1</Key>
<Name>Natural Swimmers</Name>
<Description>
Gungans gain [bOOST] when making
Athletics checks to travel through water.
</Description>
</Option>
</Options>
</OptionChoice>
</OptionChoices>
</Species>

The characteristics and attributes are self-explanatory. Skill modifiers allow you to add starting ranks to skills (such as one rank in Coordination). You can specify RankStart (starts with a rank of x) and RankAdd (adds x to the existing rank) for skill modifiers. Talent modifiers do the same thing, but with talents. This adds one rank in Convincing Demeanor:

<TalentModifiers>
<TalentModifier>
<Key>CONV</Key>
<RankAdd>1</RankAdd>
</TalentModifier>
</TalentModifiers>

Options are organized by OptionChoice, then by options belonging to those choices. If the species always gets a particular ability, just create a choice and have it contain one option (such as Natural Swimmers). The name of the Choice is what appears in the option button on the species pain. The name of the option is what appears in the dropdown list.

If you want to have an option contain a starting skill, do something like this:

<OptionChoice>
<Key>GOTAB1</Key>
<Name>Skills</Name>
<Options>
<Option>
<Key>GOTAB1OP1</Key>
<Name>One Rank in Charm</Name>
<Description>Gotal may begin the game with one rank in Charm.</Description>
<SkillModifiers>
<SkillModifier>
<Key>CHARM</Key>
<RankAdd>1</RankAdd>
</SkillModifier>
</SkillModifiers>
</Option>
<Option>
<Key>GOTAB1OP2</Key>
<Name>One Rank in Negotiation</Name>
<Description>Gotal may begin the game with one rank in Negotiation.</Description>
<SkillModifiers>
<SkillModifier>
<Key>NEG</Key>
<RankAdd>1</RankAdd>
</SkillModifier>
</SkillModifiers>
</Option>
</Options>
</OptionChoice>

If you want something like the human ranks in non-career skills, do this:

<Option>
<Key>HUMANABSK</Key>
<Name>Additional Non-Career Skills</Name>
<Description>
Humans start the game with one rank in two different
non-career skills of their choice.
</Description>
<StartingSkillTraining>
<SkillTraining>
<SkillCount>2</SkillCount>
<Requirement>
<NonCareer>true</NonCareer>
</Requirement>
</SkillTraining>
</StartingSkillTraining>
</Option>

For the droid ability of choosing 2 more career ranks and 1 more specialization ranks, do this:

<Option>
<Key>DROIDABSK</Key>
<Name>Additional Career Skills</Name>
<Description>
May train in two additional career skills
and one additional specialization skills
</Description>
<StartingSkillTraining>
<SkillTraining>
<SkillCount>2</SkillCount>
<Requirement>
<Career>true</Career>
</Requirement>
</SkillTraining>
<SkillTraining>
<SkillCount>1</SkillCount>
<Requirement>
<Specialization>true</Specialization>
</Requirement>
</SkillTraining>
</StartingSkillTraining>
</Option>

After you create the species XML file, create a portrait for the species. The portrait needs to be 125 pixels tall, be a PNG file, be named "<species key>.PNG", where <species key> is the Key for the species, and be added to the Data/SpeciesImages folder. It'll then show up in the species pane, and you can selected it as a stock portrait in the Description pane.

That'll take care of about 90% of any species you'll want to create!

Oggy

Release 1.0.0.3 is now up. Use the same link.

Release 1.0.0.3
  • Due to popular demand, I designed and added a new "simplified" style of character sheet. This sheet has all of the features of the full-color sheet, but is very ink- and toner-friendly. If you make lots of changes to your characters, and don't want to waste a bunch of ink every time you print them out, try this new sheet style. If a pretty sheet is important, or if you're printing to a PDF, use the original full-color sheet. To change the style of sheet, just choose the "Sheet Style" dropdown in the Print dialog.
  • Cached print pages, so they only need to be rendered once. This means that switching back and forth between color and simplified sheets, or changing printer settings, should be much faster after the first time.
  • Modified the wording for encumbrance. Shortened encumbered text and added unencumbered text for any encumbrance at or below threshold.
  • Added version info for the generator and editor.
  • Added the following new species, from the 2.0 Menagerie: Falleen, Farghul, Gamorrean, Givin, Gotal, Gran, Gungan.
Data File Changes:
Added the following Species files under Data\Species:
  • Falleen.xml
  • Farghul.xml
  • Gamorrean.xml
  • Givin.xml
  • Gotal.xml
  • Gran.xml
  • Gungan.xml
Added the following image files under Data/SpeciesImages:
  • FALLEEN.png
  • FARGHUL.png
  • GAMORREAN.png
  • GIVIN.png
  • GOTAL.png
  • GRAN.png
  • GUNGAN.png

Thank you Oggy! I am not even close to being a programmer, but even I can follow those instructions. :)

I assume that the last part about images could be transposed for Gear Images? I'll check it out. My players are loot hounds.

I've been working on a new "simplified" character sheet. The next release will support both the original, pretty character sheet design, and the newer, planer design that won't use nearly as much ink. Here's what the first page will look like.

Sample Sheet

You'll be able to switch back and forth between the two styles in the Print dialog.

Oggy

This is perfect. Thanks a bunch. I like how you made it gray, left white in the background, and then left color for the dice symbols. That last part was brilliant instead of going all gray and making it difficult to read the dice. Very little color ink expended and all of the benefit of it still in place.

ETA: Too much bro love in that paragraph?

Edited by Sturn

Thank you Oggy! I am not even close to being a programmer, but even I can follow those instructions. :)

I assume that the last part about images could be transposed for Gear Images? I'll check it out. My players are loot hounds.

About gear images...

If you look at the ZIP file, you'll notice there's a file called "BlankGearPanel.png". This is a blank image, something like 252w x 132h (can't remember the exact size off hand), and contains just the slate-colored background pattern that you can find in the Core Rulebook. The purpose of this file is to use it as a basis for further weapon, armor, and gear pictures:

BlankGearPanel.png

Open the BlankGearPanel,png file in your favorite paint program (I use GIMP; it's free and powerful and does everything I need, with the exception of drawing basic shapes. Why they didn't add a feature to create basic shapes is beyond me). Then, either scan the book to get gear images or find images you like on the web and load them up as well. To follow the style of the book, try to get black and white line drawings of your favorite piece of gear or weapon.

Add an alpha channel to the image, if it doesn't have one, and delete the background, leaving only the line drawing part. Then, shrink the image so it fits into 252 x 132. Copy the image and paste it into the middle of the blank gear panel image. You should see your image, nicely fitting into the blank panel, with the background showing.

WeaponSLUGPIS.png My slugthrower pistol image

Now, save the image as a PNG file into the Data/EquipmentImages directory. The format for the file name should be

<type><key>.png

where <type> is either "Gear", "Armor", or "Weapon", and <key> is the Key value of the item. For instance, if you look through "Gear.xml", you'll find the entry for the emergency medpac:

<Gear>
<Key> EMP </Key>
<Name>Emergency Medpac</Name>
<Description>
[H3]Emergency Medpac[h3]
Please see page 176 of the Core Rulebook for details.
</Description>
<Short></Short>
<Price>100</Price>
<Encumbrance>1</Encumbrance>
<Rarity>1</Rarity>
<Type>Medical</Type>
</Gear>

The key value for this is "EMP". It's found in Gear.xml, so the name of the image file for an emergency medpac would be "GearEMP.png".

After you've saved it, just undo the paste so you have the blank panel again, and repeat for another picture if you want. I added all the images from the book, supplemented with images found on the web for the ones that were missing, until I had pictures for almost every piece of gear. The hardest part is searching for the perfect picture on the web :)

Edited by OggDude

i gotta say this is awesome,

one things i have noticed though, is that you have used the camassi society, homeworld and language to describe the cathar

but again, great work

i gotta say this is awesome,

one things i have noticed though, is that you have used the camassi society, homeworld and language to describe the cathar

but again, great work

That's what happens when you copy from one file to another to save time, and then forget to update the complete description :) Here's the corrected file: Cathar.xml

Hi Oggy,

Just wanted to bring something to your attention.

I happened to be reading a thread about getting new talents, and someone mentioned that once you purchase an un-ranked talent, then the talent was considered purchased if you get another specialization with that talent.

Two examples are Anatomy Lessons and Spare Clip.

Anatomy Lessons is in the Bounty Hunter (Assassin) and Colonist (Doctor) specializations.

Spare Clip is in the Bounty Hunter (Gadgeteer) and Explorer (Trader) specializations.

Right now, the character creator requires you to pay for the talent a 2nd time instead of marking it as already purchased..

Thanks for explaining how to add custom races Oggy, this will help a lot :)

Hi Oggy,

I happened to be reading a thread about getting new talents, and someone mentioned that once you purchase an un-ranked talent, then the talent was considered purchased if you get another specialization with that talent.

Anatomy Lessons is in the Bounty Hunter (Assassin) and Colonist (Doctor) specializations.

Spare Clip is in the Bounty Hunter (Gadgeteer) and Explorer (Trader) specializations.

Right now, the character creator requires you to pay for the talent a 2nd time instead of marking it as already purchased..

Good catch there.

A minor correction, Bowcaster is listed as Ranged-Light when it should be Ranged-Heavy.

I noticed this as I was adding Images :)

Hi Oggy,

Nice catch. Here's a question, though... in the case of Anatomy Lessons, the cost for the talent is different between the two trees (one is 15, one is 20). So, which one should be "free"? The cheapest one? The most expensive? Or the second one you choose, regardless of the cost? The book makes it sound like the first one you choose costs points, but all the ones after that don't. So, if you choose the expensive one first, the cheaper ones are free. But if you choose the cheaper one first, then the expensive ones are free. This may pose a problem because I don't keep track of which talent is purchased "first", just that it has been purchased. So in essence, the one that costs would be the one that shows up first when going through the specializations. That would be your career spec, followed by your first purchased spec, your second purchased spec, etc. But that wouldn't work if you first purchased one from, say, your first purchased spec, and your career spec also has the talent.

There also might be an issue if a species gives a free unranked talent, but I believe all species talents are ranked.

I'll have to think about this one :)

I made a test character with one of the newly added races, and made him force sensitive. I also gave him 500 xp for test purposes.

Clicking the "print" button I get an "Unhandled exception has occurred" error after making a character in the latest release. If i click continue the character sheet comes up but page 4 comes up weird with stuff like:

Character name: Label6

Player name: Label7

Species: Label8

Career: Label9

Specialisations: Label10

Encumbrance value/threshold: 55/55

Credits:5555

No equipment shows up (even though i have bought some).

Here's the the error:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SWCharGen.TestForm.FillData()
at SWCharGen.TestForm.PrepareToPrint()
at SWCharGen.TestForm.TestForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2012 (RTMLDR.030319-2000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SWCharGen
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.3
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.3
CodeBase: file:///E:/SWCHARGET%203/SWCharGen.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2003 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2001 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
SWCharGenLib
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.3
CodeBase: file:///E:/SWCHARGET%203/SWCharGenLib.DLL
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.450 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2022 built by: RTMLDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.2022 (RTMLDR.030319-2000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
y23encog
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
t3uxwjyv
luyqpzdf
ni33rnpa
0exl0c5v
b3440vt2
fjhl3pqn
0iwya1wb
fx0fsj0k
aqbjip5v
h5prt1bk
xkholfkg
tjwxusb0
l3dvlyx1
xh43wlua
4xtav0nx
tb3kk3zm
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
nnf5x4p3

I made a test character with one of the newly added races, and made him force sensitive. I also gave him 500 xp for test purposes.

Clicking the "print" button I get an "Unhandled exception has occurred" error after making a character in the latest release. If i click continue the character sheet comes up but page 4 comes up weird with stuff like:

Character name: Label6

Player name: Label7

Species: Label8

Career: Label9

Specialisations: Label10

Encumbrance value/threshold: 55/55

Credits:5555

No equipment shows up (even though i have bought some).

Here's the the error:

Email me the character and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

Hi Oggy,

Nice catch. Here's a question, though... in the case of Anatomy Lessons, the cost for the talent is different between the two trees (one is 15, one is 20). So, which one should be "free"? The cheapest one? The most expensive? Or the second one you choose, regardless of the cost? The book makes it sound like the first one you choose costs points, but all the ones after that don't. So, if you choose the expensive one first, the cheaper ones are free. But if you choose the cheaper one first, then the expensive ones are free. This may pose a problem because I don't keep track of which talent is purchased "first", just that it has been purchased. So in essence, the one that costs would be the one that shows up first when going through the specializations. That would be your career spec, followed by your first purchased spec, your second purchased spec, etc. But that wouldn't work if you first purchased one from, say, your first purchased spec, and your career spec also has the talent.

There also might be an issue if a species gives a free unranked talent, but I believe all species talents are ranked.

I'll have to think about this one :)

In my opinion it should be the first place you buy it.

Another thing is force powers. Some trees have the same force power like Sense (Range), and Influence (Range). Does getting range from sense also automatically gain you one in Influence? There are also things like Duration (Sense) is not the same as Duration (Influence) where i think this should obviously not be the case.