Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I was wondering whether anyone has gotten the generator to work on Linux. I've tried running it under wine, and it technically does open , but it's completely non-responsive (none of the buttons do anything).

Anyone have the links for the download? I can't get the one in this forum to work and get error messages on Oggdudes website when trying to download.

44 minutes ago, dvance85 said:

Anyone have the links for the download? I can't get the one in this forum to work and get error messages on Oggdudes website when trying to download.

Current links are on his profile’s “About Me” page. The hosting site does tend to throw ominous sounding download warnings, but you should be able to click through them.

5 hours ago, dvance85 said:

Download it with Firefox on www.OggDude.com It only works with Firefox right now.

I've not followed this thread closely... but has there been a font change in the program? Is there any way to change the font?

Does Ogg ever plan on making the program open source? A lot of fan-made content has come out that the generator doesn't support. Such as advanced droid customization in Memory Cores and Motivators. Would love to take a crack at adding some of the required stuff myself.

18 minutes ago, 157C said:

Does Ogg ever plan on making the program open source? A lot of fan-made content has come out that the generator doesn't support. Such as advanced droid customization in Memory Cores and Motivators. Would love to take a crack at adding some of the required stuff myself.

No. It was his learning project for activex I believe. so the code is super messy and he doesnt want to risk all the breakage cleaning up the code entails. So likely it will be a long time before he gets to that point if ever.

19 minutes ago, 157C said:

He’s been asked about it before, and has consistently said that he’s not inclined to do so. It began as a project to help teach himself to code, so the early foundational code is sloppy and full of shortcuts and happy accidents.. He’s concerned that adding more cooks to the kitchen, who don’t know how he did some of that early stuff could break the backbone of how the software works.

@OggDude

A "quality of life" suggestion for the character generator: something in GM grants which allows a GM to set the price of specializations (aside from the "free" option).

For example, I'm thinking of either setting a "flat rate" price for specs (e.g., 10 XP to open an in-career spec, 20 XP to open an out-of-career spec), or freezing the cost after the third spec (e.g., the fourth spec costs 30 XP if in-career, or 40 XP if out-of-career).

I know that one can always adjust the XP earned. However, one of the character generator's best points is that it tracks the XP and one can compare characters at a glance by that means, so I'm loath to mess up the XP tracking in that fashion.

I think that this is a bug ...

Using the character generator, I made a character who had 2 ranks the Burly talent (reduces any wielded or carried weapon's Encumbrance rating and Cumbersome quality by a number equal to ranks in Burly, to a minimum of 1).

The character then purchased a Heavy Blaster Rifle (Encumbrance 6, Cumbersome 3). Burly 2 makes that weapon Encumbrance 4 and Cumbersome 1 for that character.

Then the Weapon Sling item attachment (base modifier: decrease Cumbersome rating by 1) was added to the rifle. I believe that the rifle should end up with Cumbersome 0/no Cumbersome quality at all.

Maybe it's a question of the order of operations for that particular combination of talent/item/attachment?

ETA: Scratch the above (struck-out) section. I must have been thinking of Encumbrance, when I should have been thinking of Cumbersome instead. Oops!

Edited by Bellona
ETA
7 hours ago, Bellona said:

Then the Weapon Sling item attachment (base modifier: decrease Cumbersome rating by 1) was added to the rifle. I believe that the rifle should end up with Cumbersome 0/no Cumbersome quality at all.

There is no meaningful difference between Cumbersome 1 and 0 (or no Cumbersome quality at all). As you cannot have 0 in a characteristic, as far as I know. I'd even go so far as to claim that all weapons and armour have a Cumbersome 1 quality, not that it matters.

Of course, if this is to save space on the print out of the character sheet, it is meaningful and may matter.

There a good place where someone can find all the datasets that are commonly added to the CharGen? I imagine there's a bunch of helpful ones in this topic, but trying to go through 452 pages to find them all would be rather time consuming.

I have a couple of questions

1. IS it possible to update to the newest version with out losing all of the custom edits ive made. and how would i do so/are there instructions somewhere that can help

2. when trying to instal the latest version i get a pop up that says "you cannot start application STar Wars Cahracter Generator and Gm Tools from this location becuase it is alread installed from a different location"

what does this mean and how can i fix it?

thank you, and this tool has made things so easy

2 hours ago, dgamal01 said:

I have a couple of questions

1. IS it possible to update to the newest version with out losing all of the custom edits ive made. and how would i do so/are there instructions somewhere that can help

2. when trying to instal the latest version i get a pop up that says "you cannot start application STar Wars Cahracter Generator and Gm Tools from this location becuase it is alread installed from a different location"

what does this mean and how can i fix it?

thank you, and this tool has made things so easy

If you are using the web install it is easy pleasy. If you are using the other install you should switch to the web install and import your data from the old directory

Hey Daeglan, does Ogg plan on finishing the last couple of books for the next update?

15 minutes ago, Lancer999 said:

Hey Daeglan, does Ogg plan on finishing the last couple of books for the next update?

Yes. but when no one knows.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jegergryte said:

There is no meaningful difference between Cumbersome 1 and 0 (or no Cumbersome quality at all). As you cannot have 0 in a characteristic, as far as I know. I'd even go so far as to claim that all weapons and armour have a Cumbersome 1 quality, not that it matters.

Of course, if this is to save space on the print out of the character sheet, it is meaningful and may matter.

You're quite right ... I must have been thinking of Encumbrance values when I should have been thinking of Cumbersome instead. :)

These FFG Forums are closing soon right?

Might be nice if @OggDude could weigh in before that happens on the future of the software.

(if it's not too much trouble)

Wait, these exact forums are closing down?

29 minutes ago, Honourable596 said:

Wait, these exact forums are closing down?

If they're shutting down their own forums based on claims that players are more active on other spaces, they could at least point their players at those spaces.

Like... What "dedicated Discord" server? Or is there a particular Reddit?

FFG's player interaction over the years has been really unimpressive. This seems like a fitting capstone.

Honestly, I'll go wherever @OggDude and the other frequent posters decide they'll answer questions.

Edited by And Also With You
On 12/25/2020 at 1:42 AM, NicoJMont said:

FYI this thread will continue and updates will be noted at

https://legendsofthegalaxy.com/community-boards/

Does OggDude plan on posting updates there for everyone? Or will it just have what's currently available?

All,

I host the gitlab dataset. The community as a whole works togather in keeping the dataset current and to solve issues as the come up. Everyone is welcome to join. You can participate as much or as little as you are comfortable.

Link: https://gitlab.com/rikus01/SWDataSet-OggDudes

Stay safe and happy gaming!

On 1/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, Rozial said:

Does OggDude plan on posting updates there for everyone? Or will it just have what's currently available?

Yes he is working on my updates