Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

From a developper to another: Very nice!

One thing I'd like to change, is the character sheet, I don't really like that version of the character sheet, too expensive in ink! ;)

I love the style that Kallabecca did : http://www.daemonstorm.com/article/2013/07/05/star-wars-edge-empire-release-edition-character-sheet

(Use version 4). So, my question would be, do you plan on having custom character sheet? I don't know what report engine you used, but it would be great if we could have custom ones! ;)

I looked into report engines, I looked into HTML. What I ended up doing is creating a background using Microsoft Publisher and exporting it to a PNG file. I load that into a form and add labels, grids, images and other assorted graphical elements over it to create the page. It was actually the easiest way, and it looked by far the best when I was finished.

I'll think about how I might be able to have user-creatable custom character sheets...

Hey, any thoughts on making this a click once application? Would handle auto updating, etc with every release.

If you would like to consider it I would be happy to help with the information needed to do this :)

(are you hosting the files personally? what kind of server? IIS?)

Go ahead and send me an email on this (it's in the documentation). Sounds interesting.

I haven't had a chance to use this program extensively, but kudos to you, sir.

As a developer, by the time I get home from work, any programming I want to do is is small microprojects. I take my hat off to you.

Started fiddling with this yesterday. Fantastic!

Is there an "NPC generator" (with a smaller stat-block)? If not, are there plans for one?

If it's a possibility, one suggestion vs the existing ones: it would be great to actually see the dice pools.

I second the request for an NPC generator!

Is there an easy way to make the Print Preview screen savable? I play an online game so my guys never really print their sheets, and I would like to be able to have multiple character's sheets open at one time, especially if there is an NPC generator to come.

Really, I suppose it is possible to create an NPC with the tools now available, I would just like the ability to have multiple sheets open on my comp at one time.

Thanks again for the great tool. The editor is real nice, I like being able to create my own homebrew items for my players to pick off of dead bodies.

1.0.0.2 is now ready. Use the same link as before. Here are the changes:

Release 1.0.0.2
  • Removed Discipline skill modifier from Droid species.
  • Modified Encumbrance. Instead of losing your free maneuver if your encumbrance exceeds or is at your Brawn, you now lose it if your encumbrance exceeds or is at your encumbrance threshold, plus your Brawn.
  • Set background of all character sheet pages to stretch to fit the given size. This may prevent certain bitmap sizing issues reported by some people.
  • On the Species pane, "Wound Threshold" was appearing twice by mistake. The second occurrence was supposed to be "Strain Threshold", which it now is.
  • Modified how species option is displayed on page 3 of the character sheet. It will now display up to three options, will grow or shrink the description row as needed, and will remove all rows that are not used.
  • Modified the way species portraits are stored. Originally, they were stored as resources in the application. However, so new species can be added along with their portraits, they are now stored in the "Data\SpeciesImages" directory. The name of each portrait is "<key>.png", where "<key>" is the key for the species. So, as an example, the Trandoshan portrait would be stored as "Data\SpeciesImages\TRAND.png". Obviously, they must be in PNG format. This has the secondary effect of making the executable smaller, in case you're wondering why the new one isn't as large as the old one.
  • Modified the select portrait dialog to support all species portraits using the new external portrait feature.
  • Added the following "unofficial" species (with some modifications): Aqualish, Arkanian, Arkanian Offshoot, Barabel, Bith, Caamasi, Cathar, Cerean, Chadra-Fan, Chiss, Clawdite, Dashade, Defel, Devaronian, Dug, Duros, Ewok. This information comes from "The Unofficial Species Menagerie" by Jonathan "Donovan Morningfire" Stevens, amongst others, which can be found at various places on the web. Most descriptive information and images obtained from Wookieepedia (www.wookieepedia.com).
Data File Changes:
Modified Gear.xml to include protective goggles for Defel
Added the following Species files under Data\Species:
Aqualish.xml
Arkanian.xml
Arkanian Offshoot.xml
Barabel.xml
Bith.xml
Caamasi.xml
Cathar.xml
Cerean.xml
Chadra-Fan.xml
Chiss.xml
Clawdite.xml
Dashade.xml
Defel.xml
Devaronian.xml
Dug.xml
Duros.xml
Ewok.xml
Added all files under Data\SpeciesImages

I'm not going to be able to get back on here until probably Monday night or Tuesday morning. Coincidentally, I'm going to a gaming convention this weekend. This will be the first one since EotE's release, so I'm going to be bringing a few characters (printed up by the char gen, of course) and seeing if someone's running a game.

Oh, and since none of the new species I added came from FFG, I added all of the descriptions (courtesy of Wookieepedia and a few other places). I've got more to do, but it takes awhile to add these things. Someone mentioned that one of their players had an Ewok character, so I forced myself to go up to Ewok before I stopped :) I'll add more next week.

Oggy

You sir, are a titan among men. THANK YOU! my Ewok brother-in-law will be quite grateful.

From the previews you posted, this looks really good, but I can't seem to download the app. The link appears to broken. I hope its just a bad link and not something more insidious like an imperial blockade :)

From the previews you posted, this looks really good, but I can't seem to download the app. The link appears to broken. I hope its just a bad link and not something more insidious like an imperial blockade :)

It's not broken for me. It should auto start a download of a ZIP file.

Is there an easy way to make the Print Preview screen savable? I play an online game so my guys never really print their sheets, and I would like to be able to have multiple character's sheets open at one time, especially if there is an NPC generator to come.

Really, I suppose it is possible to create an NPC with the tools now available, I would just like the ability to have multiple sheets open on my comp at one time.

Thanks again for the great tool. The editor is real nice, I like being able to create my own homebrew items for my players to pick off of dead bodies.

Your welcome!

What I do is use doPDF as my "printer" to save my characters as PDFs. Then you can have as many open as you want.

Yes, an NPC generator, Vehicles, and a Group sheet with obligation chart are on my "to-do" list. Not sure when I'll get them done, though.

It's not broken for me. It should auto start a download of a ZIP file.

It worked for me, too. Try clicking on the link at the bottom of my signature.

Oh, and since none of the new species I added came from FFG, I added all of the descriptions (courtesy of Wookieepedia and a few other places). I've got more to do, but it takes awhile to add these things. Someone mentioned that one of their players had an Ewok character, so I forced myself to go up to Ewok before I stopped :) I'll add more next week.

Oggy

You sir, are a titan among men. THANK YOU! my Ewok brother-in-law will be quite grateful.

You're very welcome :) Heck, I even made an Ewok character for my wife to play, them being so cute and all. I sure do hope I get into an EotE game at the con (which I'm going to be leaving for in a few minutes).

Your welcome!

What I do is use doPDF as my "printer" to save my characters as PDFs. Then you can have as many open as you want.

Yes, an NPC generator, Vehicles, and a Group sheet with obligation chart are on my "to-do" list. Not sure when I'll get them done, though.

Don't bite off too much yet! Perfect the character sheet first please! :)

Excellent work, Oggy! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

In Chrome if I left click on the link it takes me to a dropbox link that is broken. If I right click on it the zip file starts to download.

Tried it out and I don't see any problems yet. I love the simplicity of the editor.

What is the best size to view this on? I do have some issues of not being able to see edges of everything, but none of it is clipped enough to prevent using the program.

I would vote for making the character sheet less pretty for printing. It looks nice, but even if you print that thing in black and white it's gonna take quite a bit of ink and even have a gray shade on areas that should probably be left white.

Thanks for doing this!

If I start doing some data entry and a new version comes out, I should be ok just backing up the Data folder and not updating it?

Your welcome!

Thank you! Works like a charm. Looking forward to seeing this excellent tool develop. Did you get to play a game at PAX? If so, how did it go?

Tried it out and I don't see any problems yet. I love the simplicity of the editor.

What is the best size to view this on? I do have some issues of not being able to see edges of everything, but none of it is clipped enough to prevent using the program.

I would vote for making the character sheet less pretty for printing. It looks nice, but even if you print that thing in black and white it's gonna take quite a bit of ink and even have a gray shade on areas that should probably be left white.

Thanks for doing this!

If I start doing some data entry and a new version comes out, I should be ok just backing up the Data folder and not updating it?

Yes, although it there are updates to the Data folder Oggy specifies which files need to be added int Data, he did this with the latest update.

I made a copy of the Data folder and called it Updated xxxx Data, where xxxx equals the date I edited info on. I am not sure but I am hoping that when the next version comes out I can just drop my "updatedxxxxdata" folder into the new character generator folder and it will update the data to all the info I put in. If this is not the case can someone tell me the correct way to do this?

BTW Oggy I absolutely love this program. Thank you for the hard work you put into it and keep putting into it. I am hoping for a few changes.

1. I love the character sheets it makes but man does it drain my ink -- please put in black&white sheets that use less ink as an option?

2. Wondering if you will continue making changes so that we can enter the AoR book info when it comes out?

3. Was hoping you could put an example in each category. Well you have examples in some but the two that are really stumping me are "skills" & "talents". I know you can't type up word for word from the book but perhaps you could make a post with one from each of those categories in the forum as an example? I really want to do these two areas next but not sure how precise or short or long or whatever to make them. An example of what you would do would be so useful for me. It does not even have to be the entire entry for one item just something so I can see what you had in mind so I can complete those areas.

Just wanted to say again, thank you for the time you put into this and making it available for free. As a side note, do you have a site where you take donations? I always donate to programs that have a donation option if I use the product and think it is worth it. Your product is top notch and I would love to make a donation.

Thanks,

J

Edited by AgentJ

I made a copy of the Data folder and called it Updated xxxx Data, where xxxx equals the date I edited info on. I am not sure but I am hoping that when the next version comes out I can just drop my "updatedxxxxdata" folder into the new character generator folder and it will update the data to all the info I put in. If this is not the case can someone tell me the correct way to do this?

BTW Oggy I absolutely love this program. Thank you for the hard work you put into it and keep putting into it. I am hoping for a few changes.

1. I love the character sheets it makes but man does it drain my ink -- please put in black&white sheets that use less ink as an option?

2. Wondering if you will continue making changes so that we can enter the AoR book info when it comes out?

3. Was hoping you could put an example in each category. Well you have examples in some but the two that are really stumping me are "skills" & "talents". I know you can't type up word for word from the book but perhaps you could make a post with one from each of those categories in the forum as an example? I really want to do these two areas next but not sure how precise or short or long or whatever to make them. An example of what you would do would be so useful for me. It does not even have to be the entire entry for one item just something so I can see what you had in mind so I can complete those areas.

Just wanted to say again, thank you for the time you put into this and making it available for free. As a side note, do you have a site where you take donations? I always donate to programs that have a donation option if I use the product and think it is worth it. Your product is top notch and I would love to make a donation.

Thanks,

J

Back from Pacificon. No EotE games, unfortunately. It was a lot smaller this year than last, and the only solid block of RPG's they had going was Pathfinder. As has been the trend in the past few years, everything's going Euro-style board gaming. I'm hoping DunDraCon in February will have more RPGs, but we'll see.

As to your questions:

1. Yeah, a number of people have requested an ink-friendly version of the character sheet. I'll work on a B&W simplified design and you all can tell me how you like it.

2. Hopefully, a majority of the new content in AoR will be compatible with what I've done in the generator and will only require new data to be added (new talents, specializations, skills, etc). If they have new concepts that I haven't coded for, I may need to make some changes, but we'll see.

3. I'm assuming you're referring to the format for descriptions? For skills, they can really be anything you want them to be. I would keep the header text (with "Skill (Characteristic)", so the description is properly titled in the box. As for content, just put whatever you would find useful while creating a character. You can add your own summary, just go for mechanics (what successes, failures, triumphs, etc., mean), copy some text from your (legally-purchased) copy of the rulebook, or a combination. What I did in my personal copy was typed in the first paragraph or two of the skill description, just to get the basics of what the skill does, then skipped down to the mechanics section at the end and added what all the die pips mean. Here's a simplified (and partial) example, with everything meaningful removed, but it should give you an idea of what I did, especially if you read along with the description of the Computers skill on page 107:

[H4]Computers (Intellect)[h4]
The galaxy could scarcely ...
Devices everywhere are ...
Those talented with computers can ...
[P]Additional [sUCCESS] may be spent ...
[P][ADVANTAGE] may be spent to undercover ...
Once the presence of such systems is discovered...
checks. A [TRIUMPH] may be spent to obfuscate ...
Each [TRIUMPH] may be spent to add [CHALLENGE]...
[P]The GM may spend [THREAT] generated...
[P][DESPAIR] may be spent by the GM...
...may add [bOOST] to any...

(The example above quotes limited portions of the text under the fair use doctrine for commentary and teaching purposes)

Use [P] to start a new paragraph, and add the pip icons by using the name within brackets (such as [THREAT] for a threat pip, or [ABILITY] for a green ability die, etc). You don't need an explicit [P] after a header (such as [H4]), as a [P] is implied by the header. If this sounds suspiciously like HTML, you just won a cookie :)

As for talents, just use the short descriptions found on the specialization pages to assure that 1) they'll all fit into the talent panels on the Specialization pane, and 2) they won't take up line after line of grid space on the character sheet. For example, the "Grit" talent can be simplified down to just "G..n +2 w...d thr.....d" and that's it (adding the obfuscated text, of course). Don't put headers in the talent descriptions at all, but add dice and pip icons as needed to help describe what the talent does. Remember, unlike the skill descriptions, the talent descriptions will actually appear on your character sheet. Add enough so you'll know what they do without having to look it up 10 times during a session, but not so much that it clutters the character sheet, or prevents all of your talents from showing up properly.

And thanks for the kind words! I may add a "donation" link in the future, but for now, I just want to get it out so people can use it.

Neat little progmra, i have ane problem though:

I cant view the Print Preview, because i get an exception:

No printers installed.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Drawing.Printing.InvalidPrinterException: No printers are installed.
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.GetHdevmodeInternal(String printer)
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.GetHdevmodeInternal()
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.GetHdevmode(PageSettings pageSettings)
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrintController.OnStartPrint(PrintDocument document, PrintEventArgs e)
at System.Drawing.Printing.PreviewPrintController.OnStartPrint(PrintDocument document, PrintEventArgs e)
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrintController.Print(PrintDocument document)
at System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument.Print()
at CoolPrintPreview.CoolPrintPreviewControl.RefreshPreview()
at CoolPrintPreview.CoolPrintPreviewControl.set_Document(PrintDocument value)
at CoolPrintPreview.CoolPrintPreviewDialog.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18052 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SWCharGen
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.2
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///E:/Tools/SWEotECharGen/SWCharGen.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18047 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18021 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18044 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
SWCharGenLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.2
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.2
CodeBase: file:///E:/Tools/SWEotECharGen/SWCharGenLib.DLL
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18060 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Microsoft.GeneratedCode

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I hat a similar problem with other .net applications, for wich I never found any solution.

I do have a pritner installed, and i have set a Standard printer.

Re-install .NET?

I just reinstalled Windows a week ago, but I might try reininstalling .net 4 :/

I repaired 4.5.

removed 4.5 rreinstalled 4 and upgraded to 4.5

at no point during that did the print button give me not this exception :(

edit: found the problem, another program interfered with the chargen to grad the pritnerlist. fixed now.

Edited by Urd

edit: found the problem, another program interfered with the chargen to grad the pritnerlist . fixed now.

My question is what does the stuff I changed to green text mean? Guessing chargen = character generation. No idea what "grad" is and guessing pritnerlist = printerlist?

What where my fingers doing?

grad=read

rest is guessed correctly.