Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Will this be something we can interact with in program? What I mean is, can I save an encounter template as "Encounter 001" with all the NPC's I want, and then open it to start ticking off wounds, modifiers, crits and such with a mouse click rather than printing and using pen and paper?

looks great.

Edit: I do like the check boxes

Edited by Conviction

Will this be something we can interact with in program? What I mean is, can I save an encounter template as "Encounter 001" with all the NPC's I want, and then open it to start ticking off wounds, modifiers, crits and such with a mouse click rather than printing and using pen and paper?

looks great.

Edit: I do like the check boxes

I wasn't planning on doing an interactive app, but yeah, you'll create your bad guys, create an encounter with everything you need, save it off so you can use it again (or modify it) and then print out the encounter sheets to use during your game. Having an interactive encounter app is a different beast altogether. Is that something you'd want?

Very much so!

I understand and respect that many RPG'ers love their pen and paper. I try to get away from it as much as possible though, since I run an online game via Roll20. I understand that what I'm requesting is a whole other ball of wax, and I can print to PDF and mark up the sheep via Gimp or some other image program I suppose.

****, my macbook air has failed me again. :(

our character generator is awesome. Thanks, I can tell you I really appreciate the work you put into it.

Might I suggest a preview button so you can have a look at the full sheet before you print.

Might I suggest a preview button so you can have a look at the full sheet before you print.

The print dialog is a print preview :) In fact, it's title is "Print Preview". It's a combined replacement for all the various print dialogs.

Awesome generator! I'm looking forward to the encounters and vehicles additions. Great Work OggDude!

Dear Oggy

I don't see how you have time to work 50 hours a week, have a life, & make this app. Thank you for calling in sick and not having a life so we can have this AMAZING character / npc / vehicles / spaceship / whatever we need generator. Hope your boss, girlfriend, and friends understands this takes priority.

Thanks,

J

P.S. Where is the donate button???

Yes, where is the donate button? I`d like to contribute, and i dont like taking the hard work of others for granted.

Btw I`ve asked before but any chance for the character sheet automatically generating a new skill/force talent page if it extends further than the first page?

ya I would donate as well

Dear Oggy

I don't see how you have time to work 50 hours a week, have a life, & make this app. Thank you for calling in sick and not having a life so we can have this AMAZING character / npc / vehicles / spaceship / whatever we need generator. Hope your boss, girlfriend, and friends understands this takes priority.

Thanks,

J

P.S. Where is the donate button???

Hehe, thanks :) My wife is very understanding, especially since this helps me improve my .NET skills, and my job is non-existent at the moment (got laid off after (mumble) years at the same company). That explains a bit, huh? :)

I'll look into the whole "donate with pay pal" thing. I've never done it, but I do have a Pay Pal account, so I'll see how it works.

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Yes, where is the donate button? I`d like to contribute, and i dont like taking the hard work of others for granted.

Btw I`ve asked before but any chance for the character sheet automatically generating a new skill/force talent page if it extends further than the first page?

Creating extension sheets for page 3 and 4 is doable, but I will need to modify how I'm generating the pages. I'll look into it for a future release. Out of curiosity, are you running out of space currently?

Just to keep you up to date so you know that I'm not slacking off...

I've been doing a lot of planning and pondering about how I'm going to be reworking a few things for GM tools. There's at least three things I want to do for that: encounter sheets, vehicles, and group sheets. Encounter sheets require being able to create and manipulate adversaries. Since adversaries are basically simplified characters, what I'll probably end up doing is having some sort of an "adversary" mode in the generator itself. You'll be able to apply "adversary templates" on top of a normal character which basically override the default species settings for wound and strain. So, for instance, if you choose a human and apply the Standard Minion template, base wound becomes 3 + Brawn and strain becomes nothing. Characteristics will remain the same, but you'll also be able to remove characteristics, as well as add to them, for flexibility. Also, adversaries won't support careers, specializations, motivations, backgrounds, and obligations, so those buttons will disappear. A new pane, tentatively called "Talents and Abilities", will allow you to choose talents, force power, and miscellaneous abilities. Experience will still be there, but instead of having XP, adversaries will just spend XP. You can then use XP as a yardstick for gauging how powerful a particular enemy is (such as a 250 point rival, a 500 point nemesis, etc).

You'll be able to edit both characters and adversaries from Character pane. I'll include some sort of filter so you can view one or the other, or both. I'll probably also filter on adversary type (minion, rival, or nemesis). GM tools will be consolidated on a single pane and will just open popup dialogs for configuration. So, for instance, you can save a number of group sheets, each with their own set of characters, just like you'll be able to save a number of different encounters with different adversaries. And, eventually, you'll be able to create custom star ships. I'll include all of the base adversaries, but you'll be able to create and modify your own as well.

As far as other things go, someone mentioned the lack of an "unarmed" weapon. This will now be included. A special "Unarmed" weapon will show up under equipment (its the best place for it) and allow you to "Show" it or not on page 1 of the character sheet. Species will now have an added feature that will allow you to modify the default unarmed weapon. So, for instance, Trandoshans will get +1 damage and a 3 crit for their unarmed, while Gamorreans will have Vicious 1 added to all of their Brawl and Melee attacks. You can even customize and replace "Unarmed" with other innate species weapons using various combat skills, ranges, etc.

All of this will probably take awhile, so don't expect 1.0.0.7 for at least a few days :)

Is Sullustan in the next release by chance, and are you changing races to match up with AoR beta info?

Thanks again

I think I found a bug:

Buying a specialization outside your career only subtracts 20 XP (even though it correctly says 30 when choosing the specialization).

Two item inaccuracies I came across:

- Padded Armor should have 0 Hard Points (2 in the program)

- Shock Gloves should cost 300 credits. (500 in the program)

EDIT:

One more:

In the survivalist talent tree, there is a line missing between the 10pt Swift and Outdoorsman

Edited by Chronosheep

Two questions (if they're answered elsewhere, I apologize):

1) Is it possible to update the visuals of the FS Exile so that we can see which talents are Force talents?

2) Is there any way (sort of a screen grab) to print out anything besides the full character sheet? I'd love to be able to print out talent trees, or save them as pdfs. Although there are a ton of different options out there, the ability to modify and customize the text to what's useful to me would be great. (Short of a separate option for printing talent trees, perhaps that could be an "add on" for the character sheet?)

Just to keep you up to date so you know that I'm not slacking off...

I've been doing a lot of planning and pondering about how I'm going to be reworking a few things for GM tools. There's at least three things I want to do for that: encounter sheets, vehicles, and group sheets. Encounter sheets require being able to create and manipulate adversaries. Since adversaries are basically simplified characters, what I'll probably end up doing is having some sort of an "adversary" mode in the generator itself. You'll be able to apply "adversary templates" on top of a normal character which basically override the default species settings for wound and strain. So, for instance, if you choose a human and apply the Standard Minion template, base wound becomes 3 + Brawn and strain becomes nothing. Characteristics will remain the same, but you'll also be able to remove characteristics, as well as add to them, for flexibility. Also, adversaries won't support careers, specializations, motivations, backgrounds, and obligations, so those buttons will disappear. A new pane, tentatively called "Talents and Abilities", will allow you to choose talents, force power, and miscellaneous abilities. Experience will still be there, but instead of having XP, adversaries will just spend XP. You can then use XP as a yardstick for gauging how powerful a particular enemy is (such as a 250 point rival, a 500 point nemesis, etc).

You'll be able to edit both characters and adversaries from Character pane. I'll include some sort of filter so you can view one or the other, or both. I'll probably also filter on adversary type (minion, rival, or nemesis). GM tools will be consolidated on a single pane and will just open popup dialogs for configuration. So, for instance, you can save a number of group sheets, each with their own set of characters, just like you'll be able to save a number of different encounters with different adversaries. And, eventually, you'll be able to create custom star ships. I'll include all of the base adversaries, but you'll be able to create and modify your own as well.

As far as other things go, someone mentioned the lack of an "unarmed" weapon. This will now be included. A special "Unarmed" weapon will show up under equipment (its the best place for it) and allow you to "Show" it or not on page 1 of the character sheet. Species will now have an added feature that will allow you to modify the default unarmed weapon. So, for instance, Trandoshans will get +1 damage and a 3 crit for their unarmed, while Gamorreans will have Vicious 1 added to all of their Brawl and Melee attacks. You can even customize and replace "Unarmed" with other innate species weapons using various combat skills, ranges, etc.

All of this will probably take awhile, so don't expect 1.0.0.7 for at least a few days :)

PLEASE get the Paypal donate thing going, cuzz you deserve it bro. sounds GREAT.

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

Creating extension sheets for page 3 and 4 is doable, but I will need to modify how I'm generating the pages. I'll look into it for a future release. Out of curiosity, are you running out of space currently?

Nope, but i have added a short description of all the talents and force skills with the editor, and that means they all take up more space. Still a ways off before its full though. :)

Is Sullustan in the next release by chance, and are you changing races to match up with AoR beta info?

Thanks again

I'll try to remember to update them. The only reason I haven't is because I need to add some new AoR talents in as well. Also, the Ithorian bellow attack couldn't be added before, except as a species feature. It can with the changes I'll be making to 1.0.0.7.

I think I found a bug:

Buying a specialization outside your career only subtracts 20 XP (even though it correctly says 30 when choosing the specialization).

Two item inaccuracies I came across:

- Padded Armor should have 0 Hard Points (2 in the program)

- Shock Gloves should cost 300 credits. (500 in the program)

EDIT:

One more:

In the survivalist talent tree, there is a line missing between the 10pt Swift and Outdoorsman

All great finds. The specialization cost was due to a stupid comparison mistake I made when trying to figure out career specs. The line in the survivalist tree was actually part there, just not the part that was displayed :) It actually worked when coming at it from the Swift side, even with the line missing.

Anyway, I fixed them all and they'll be in the next release.

Two questions (if they're answered elsewhere, I apologize):

1) Is it possible to update the visuals of the FS Exile so that we can see which talents are Force talents?

2) Is there any way (sort of a screen grab) to print out anything besides the full character sheet? I'd love to be able to print out talent trees, or save them as pdfs. Although there are a ton of different options out there, the ability to modify and customize the text to what's useful to me would be great. (Short of a separate option for printing talent trees, perhaps that could be an "add on" for the character sheet?)

1. You mean with the starburst in the corner, like in the book? I might be able to do something like that. I'll just have to add a "ForceTalent" boolean to the talents file and add a couple of more panel graphics to my resources.

2. I could have an option to add pages for all of your specialization trees, if this would be useful to enough people. It probably won't get into the next release, as I'm going to be adding a bunch of new stuff and don't want to do too much tinkering around with old stuff :) I'd have to rework my tree class to have adjustable tree sizes (I create sheet pages at double actual size so they print nicer), as well has having a non-interactive option so it won't add the "Play" buttons, things like that. Once the new changes stabilize, I'll see about adding this.

Hi Oggy,

could you add a option to build NPC's and Starships, Speeders with the tool ?

That would be a great addition !

And it would be cool to adapt the tool to Warhammer Fantasy Characters also :P ... i know this is a lot of work especially the content files, but maybe the community can help? (Editing XML files for example.)

Edited by sangeet

Can you add that darn donate button?

Hi Oggy,

could you add a option to build NPC's and Starships, Speeders with the tool ?

That would be a great addition !

And it would be cool to adapt the tool to Warhammer Fantasy Characters also :P ... i know this is a lot of work especially the content files, but maybe the community can help? (Editing XML files for example.)

Oggy has already said he is working on NPC's and Vehicles, read back through the thread :D