Another Character Generator

By OggDude, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Any possibility we could get the character sheet expanded to use more of the actual paper? The sheet has about a 2 inch margin of unused space (the white space + the border) around the whole sheet. While I like the sheet and the look, etc... would love to use some of that wasted white space in the margin.

Thanks!

Any possibility we could get the character sheet expanded to use more of the actual paper? The sheet has about a 2 inch margin of unused space (the white space + the border) around the whole sheet. While I like the sheet and the look, etc... would love to use some of that wasted white space in the margin.

Thanks!

The Simplified style uses more of the page, since it doesn't have the background graphics. You can also change the margins by clicking on the sheet icon at the top (to the right of the printer icon). I set the defaults to .5", but if your printer supports it, you can set it to less if you like.

Tried this out today to find a resource to help my noobie players generate their characters.....amazing work OggDude! This is such an asset, please continue your stellar work.

My group appreciates your time and passion!

Edited by Diggles

Thanks!

The Simplified style uses more of the page, since it doesn't have the background graphics. You can also change the margins by clicking on the sheet icon at the top (to the right of the printer icon). I set the defaults to .5", but if your printer supports it, you can set it to less if you like.

This is what I have been doing currently, is there a config/ini file or perhaps one you wouldn't mind adding that allows for permanently modifying the margins? (When the preview loads, you could read the margins.ini file for the margins? That way it doesn't have to be changed each time someone wants to print? (I print with .15 margins)

Additionally Defensive Weapon quality seems to be giving ranged defense also, should only be melee defense. (Vibrosword)

Edited by Valdier

This is what I have been doing currently, is there a config/ini file or perhaps one you wouldn't mind adding that allows for permanently modifying the margins? (When the preview loads, you could read the margins.ini file for the margins? That way it doesn't have to be changed each time someone wants to print? (I print with .15 margins)

Additionally Defensive Weapon quality seems to be giving ranged defense also, should only be melee defense. (Vibrosword)

The next version should save settings like that, as well as window position and size. And yeah, Defensive weapon was adding to both. I fixed that.

To keep everyone up to date, I believe I've finished adversaries. They'll be part of the new GMTools app. What I'm doing now is going through all the adversaries in the book and making sure that my tool can handle them. I'm up to Smuggler Baron :) The interface is similar to both the char generator and, in places, the data editor.

Next will be creating actual encounter sheets, which was the main reason for having adversaries. However, I've been thinking of other things to do with adversaries. For instance:

• Encounter sheet (my original purpose, with combat tracking)
  • Adversary list (to just make a printout of a group of adversaries)
  • Stat block (export as a bitmap so it can be included in your own adventures)

Anyone think of other uses for adversaries? Let me know if you do and I'll see about including them in the GM tools.

As far as editing adversaries go, here are some screen shots, if you're wondering what it will look like:

Special Abilities

Attributes

Characteristics

Description

Equipment

Custom Items

Skills, Talents, and Force

Custom Weapons

looks awesome Oggy

looks awesome Oggy

Am I just missing the ability to access extra exp from additional obligation?

Edited by archon007

Oggy...you have a fantastic program and its real user friendly (I haven't sworn at it. :D ) I know this may not be a top priority...well until AoR's Force User is entered. I was entering some home-brew Force stuff I found on these forums. According to the rules in the EoE Beta and Core, when you take your first Force Sensitive tree you get a Force Rating of 1, the next Force Sensitive (or Jedi Tree I'm guessing) does not increase the rating. So for example you take the Force Sensitive Exile you get a Force Rating of 1, if you take any other (Force Sensitive Emergent for example) in addition...you do not get a +1 to your Force Rating. It seems the program adds all the Force Trees together for a total Force Rating. So Force Sensitive Exile + Jedi Guardian gives you a FR=2. Perhaps a flag/checkbox indicating an additional Force Tree would work. Sorry for the rambling...thing. Your program rocks sir and I too would donate to a PayPal thingy.

looks awesome Oggy

+1 amazing.

You're the second person to ask for that :) What I said to the first guy was to just give yourself more XP on the Description page. The only down side is that I separate earned XP from starting XP and this makes it look like it's earned XP.

Again, the reason I didn't put this in explicitly is because Obligation number and size is really up to the whim of the GM, the size of your group, and your character concept. What I would really have to do is treat obligation size the same way as I do ranks for skills and characteristics. In other words, I would keep track of different sources for obligation size, the same as I do for characteristics and skills (ie, characteristics can come from talents, items, attachments, species, purchase, etc). For obligation size, it would need to be base obligation, XP obligation, and credit obligation. Right now, I'm keeping track of a single value for size.

To sum up... it would complicate things, and I don't want to deal with it for the next release. However, after giving it more thought, it wouldn't be that difficult to add, so look for it in 1.0.0.8 or beyond :)

Oggy...you have a fantastic program and its real user friendly (I haven't sworn at it. :D ) I know this may not be a top priority...well until AoR's Force User is entered. I was entering some home-brew Force stuff I found on these forums. According to the rules in the EoE Beta and Core, when you take your first Force Sensitive tree you get a Force Rating of 1, the next Force Sensitive (or Jedi Tree I'm guessing) does not increase the rating. So for example you take the Force Sensitive Exile you get a Force Rating of 1, if you take any other (Force Sensitive Emergent for example) in addition...you do not get a +1 to your Force Rating. It seems the program adds all the Force Trees together for a total Force Rating. So Force Sensitive Exile + Jedi Guardian gives you a FR=2. Perhaps a flag/checkbox indicating an additional Force Tree would work. Sorry for the rambling...thing. Your program rocks sir and I too would donate to a PayPal thingy.

Ah... yeah, the base game only comes with the one Force tree, so the problem never came up for me :) I'll limit Force Rating from tree purchases to 1 in the next release.

looks awesome Oggy

+1 amazing.

You're the second person to ask for that :) What I said to the first guy was to just give yourself more XP on the Description page. The only down side is that I separate earned XP from starting XP and this makes it look like it's earned XP.

Again, the reason I didn't put this in explicitly is because Obligation number and size is really up to the whim of the GM, the size of your group, and your character concept. What I would really have to do is treat obligation size the same way as I do ranks for skills and characteristics. In other words, I would keep track of different sources for obligation size, the same as I do for characteristics and skills (ie, characteristics can come from talents, items, attachments, species, purchase, etc). For obligation size, it would need to be base obligation, XP obligation, and credit obligation. Right now, I'm keeping track of a single value for size.

To sum up... it would complicate things, and I don't want to deal with it for the next release. However, after giving it more thought, it wouldn't be that difficult to add, so look for it in 1.0.0.8 or beyond :)

Ok, that is what I did was add it to the general page XP like you suggested. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. Not a big deal really. Thanks

Edited by archon007

Just wanted to say how awesome this is, and thanks for making it. I'd definitely donate/pay for this.

No pressure, just wondering if the next version is close? I have a new group this weekend starting and was hoping to use the latest and greatest builder. Thanks!

No pressure, just wondering if the next version is close? I have a new group this weekend starting and was hoping to use the latest and greatest builder. Thanks!

It's getting close. The new build will have a GM Tools app that, so far, will allow you to create adversaries and print encounter trackers. I'll be including all adversaries in the book. The actual generator hasn't changed much. Here's what I've done to it so far:

• Added a special weapon to all characters called "Unarmed". This represents the standard unarmed weapon option. It cannot be removed, sold, equipped, or held, but it can be shown or not shown, depending on whether or not you want to display it on your character sheet.
  • Added a new feature to species to support specialized innate weapon options, such as claws. Species modified with such abilities include Barabel, Cathar, and Trandoshans.
  • Modified the species editor to support the new innate weapon feature.
  • An incorrect lookup was causing a bad xp calculation when purchasing non-career specializations. This has been corrected.
  • Padded armor incorrectly had 2 hard points. It now has 0.
  • Fixed price of shock gloves to be 300 credits.
  • In the Survivalist tree, a connection between Swift and Outdoorsman was incompletely defined. It is now fixed.
  • For printing, full color/simplified and default page settings will now be saved between launches.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions as to what other things you'd like to do with adversaries, let me know.

I think I've finished the encounter sheets! Well, the pretty version anyway; I still have to do the simplified version. Here's an example of an encounter with a nemesis, rivals, and minions. As it happens, they're all too large to have more than one per page, but if size permits, you can have multiple adversaries on a single page.

Anyway, here are examples:

Page 1 (Nemesis)

Page 2 (Rival)

Page 3 (Minion)

Let me know what you think. Oh, and using this tool, it's INCREDIBLY easy to set up an encounter, assuming you already have the adversaries created. And creating adversaries is also a snap; I've put in about 20 or so and it takes maybe 1 minute to create each one.

Wow, that looks amazing.

This is so awesome man, thanks again.

It's awesome! Great work Oggy. Please find a way for us to send donations your way for this.

What do you think about adding something to track initiative order?

the Unarmed fix will make my Wookiee player happy :D

It's awesome! Great work Oggy. Please find a way for us to send donations your way for this.

What do you think about adding something to track initiative order?

the Unarmed fix will make my Wookiee player happy :D

The first page has an initiative slot panel at the top right of the page. There's enough slots for 10 PCs/NPC groups where you can keep track of which side gets which slot. The funny thing is that, before I set out to do this, I had no idea that rolling initiative was just to keep track of slots, rather than individual assigned initiatives. :)

oh yes i see it now, nice.

Does the generator show encumbrance somewhere and I'm just missing it?

If not, that would be my only request.

(And this thing is so amazing that I feel like a jerk requesting stuff)

Just wanted to say how awesome this is, and thanks for making it. I'd definitely donate/pay for this.

Aye, Oggy do you have a blog or any sort of donation page? :)

People who are impressed with your effort should at least be able to reward you and offset a bit of your time you've put into this great product.

Just found this and well.....amazing.

FFG should put it on their support page for EotE as this is just awesome.

Does the generator show encumbrance somewhere and I'm just missing it?

If not, that would be my only request.

(And this thing is so amazing that I feel like a jerk requesting stuff)

Encumbrance is shown on page 4 at the top left. It'll also tell you any penalties due to encumbrance (ie, setback dice and losing free maneuver).

And feel free to request whatever you want :) That's how the app gets improved!

Oggdude,

First off, love the app. You've done a spectacular job.

I have one question about the XML files. Is there an easy way to merge the data from them into the files when a new release is put out? I don't mind having to enter all the description data myself, but I don't want to lose it by overlaying the files when a release happens.

I haven't attempted it yet, but is the source compiled in a manner that will enable it to run under Mono on a Mac?