Finally got round to painting my minis!

By bulldoguk, in Dust Tactics

Grabbed a few afternoons before I skipped off for some LARPing fun, haven't had time to take any decent pics yet but will replace as I do

This stuff can be slotted into my speedpainted for boardgame catagory I Reckon, although they are extremely nice figures and came up quite well considering the simple techniques employed, I guess my little paint pixies get better with age :wink:

This lot painted in 3 afternoons, pretty much all the foot troops bar a couple of command squads and heroes to date, hopefully start all the funky walkers ASAP if I can fit them in between pending commission work

dustnatlight1.jpg

Grim Reapers led by OZZ 117
dustnatlight2.jpg

BBQ Assault Squad
dustnatlight7.jpg

The Recon Boys
Dust3.jpg

Gunners Combat Squad
dustnatlight3.jpg

Battle Grenadiers
dustnatlight5.jpg

Sniper and Observer Squad
dustnatlight8.jpg

Recon Grenadiers
dustnatlight6.jpg

Laser Grenadiers
dustnatlight9.jpg

Axis Gorillas led my Markus
dustnatlight4.jpg

bah, no to cut and paste from other forums then! Aint got time now will be back later to sort it out!

Very cool, they look extremely faithful to the "official paint job". Let me give you a hand with the pics:

dustnatlight1.jpg

dustnatlight2.jpg

dustnatlight7.jpg

Dust3.jpg

dustnatlight3.jpg

dustnatlight5.jpg

dustnatlight8.jpg

dustnatlight6.jpg

dustnatlight9.jpg

dustnatlight4.jpg

Good job, but in my opinion the axis camo almost looks like the american. There´s almost no difference in my eyes. But beside that you´ve realy done a great job.

Brilliant, much obliged Loophole! What did I do wrong? Be great if it was just a small change to the content of the post rather than having to link all the pics again in future posts!

Moiteri, they are actually quite distinguishable in the flesh, I tend to use similar tones when speed painting to keep things frosty, after having a few games of tactics I really wanted to get a little paint splashed on these fellas for a prettier game experience. Got to say absolutely LOVE the mechanics, it's brutal and fun and can twist and turn at any point in the game. As a fan of Andy Chambers Starship troopers I am really looking forward to his reaction based system using the Dust Universe, of course I am only assuming he will be using a similar system, be a shame if he didn't SST was a vastly overlooked tabletop...

Looks great i like your yellowish color on the panzerfaust and panzerschreck.Hope you post the walkers soon

How do you do your whites? They look super clean. Car to write up a tutorial? Because there HAS to be a better way of painting realistic whites than the way I am doing it!

Cheers!

Bravester

Nice to see your style of painting on here Bulldog, it's a great change from your normal Space Marines. The colors are airbrushed right and than line highlighted correct?

That's right [so]rice, base colours are airbrushed (mainly to save time) then I generally brush blend over these to give a stronger colour, after that it's just a matter of the odd ink and line here and there to bring out the details. It's a pleasant change from the usual 40k stuff too, really really enjoying these little fellas!

Bravestar, I'm all out of boxed sets right now but as soon as I get my hands on the next group of troop releases I will take some pics of a step by step mate, it's a very simple technique and gives nice bold minis for gaming

Actually, strike that, think I have the Axis command squad to go, will try and get stuck into them next week sometime and sort out a tut

Oh no, not ANOTHER darn airbrush wizard! Man, you guys are everywhere.

Ah well, I look forward to the tutorial. Though, correct if I am wrong, but I have been looking at the figures and it appears to me that maybe you just basecoated white and the did a super thin, light gray wash over that?

Believe me when I say I am no wizard Bravestar, at best I would say my talents with the AB are basic, never aimed for anything higher really as it's not needed for my approach to painting, for me the airbrush is more about adding that easy layer of shadow and depth than any magic formula and I finish most of my painting the good old fashioned way with the old hairy stick! It really is a case of what you leave out rather than what you put in, I'm the ultimate lazy painter!

Anyhow, I have actually done a partial tut on the white, I say partial as I am enjoying these things so much and tend to get right into the jazz once I start painting that I may have skipped a few stages with the pictures but it should help, hopefully will post it up in the next few days. Waiting for someone to give the sun back over here in the UK so I can get some decent pics of the rest of the Dust gear, been busy and have finished ALL the current infantry available (with the exception of the zombies and hunters who landed on my doorstep today) also knocked up the 4 tanks in the base set, have taken the same speed painted approach on these to show what can be achieved with basic techniques and the good old tried and tested sponge/rust approach, all 4 tanks finished in 2 afternoons to a pretty nice gaming standard that practically anyone can achieve without any fancy weathering washes or powders, roll on sunshine and pictures!!!

Awesome job! Now if I could only paint my minis that well there would be piece on earth.

finished2.jpg

Finally finished the last of my current backlog of Dust figures with the zombies and tank killers! at last I can break out of this hypnotic speed painting trance for a while and breath easy waiting on the next wave of releases, yay! Will update with some close-ups over this week, until then I am gonna chillax and go assemble some of these FW goodies for the next batch of Space Shark commission 8-)

ps, any idea why the pictures I post go straight to the top of the post and cannot be pre-ceeded by text, don't have any problems with other forums, this one seems to dislike me!!!

DustHeroes.jpg AlliedTankBusters2.jpg AlliedSniperandObserverSquad.jpg AlliedReconBoys.jpg AlliedGunners2.jpg AlliedGrimReapers2.jpg AlliedCommandSquad.jpg AlliedBBQSquad3.jpg AlliedBBQSquad1.jpg AlliedWildfire.jpg AlliedHoney.jpg AlliedPounder1.jpg AlliedPounder3.jpg AlliedHotdog1.jpg AlliedHotdog3.jpg AlliedSteelRain4.jpg

AlliedSteelRain1.jpg

Finally got round to taking those pics, quite a lot to go so will bob the allies on today and hopefully post the axis stuff later today or tomorrow

I would imagine the revised core set is due out here in the UK over the weekend so should have another 2 walkers and 3 or 4 squads to add to the forces sometime soon!

All speedpainted for a nice bold tabletop effect, the tanks are straightforward simple airbrush and nothing more than masking tape and a few pieces of packing sponge....no fancy powders or techniques required!

Wow, that airbrush really allows you to do some awesome blending and comes out nice smooth and bold with the colors. Wish I had one, or better yet knew how to even use one!

AxisLuther4.jpg AxisLuther1.jpg AxisLudwig4.jpg AxisLudwig3.jpg AxisLudwig1.jpg AxisLothar1.jpg AxisHeinrich1.jpg AxisHermann1.jpg AxisCommandSquad.jpg AxisBattleGrenadiers.jpg AxisLaserGrenadiers1.jpg AxisLaserGrenadiers2.jpg AxisObserverandSniperSquad.jpg AxisReconGrenadiers1.jpg AxisZombies.jpg

AxisGorillas.jpg

Mainly use the AB for laying down the main colours Vengeance, it's much much quicker than the brush and I would highly recommend them, no great skill is needed, I didnt have a clue when I got mine, not a fan of tutorials so I just experimented and learnt by my mistakes...always the fun way!, the infantry are finished with the good old hairy stick as I always feels it adds the contrast needed for tabletop gaming being viewed from a few feet

might as well post the axis forces while the sun aint on show...

Same deal as the Allies, speedpainted, basic techniques, nice bold colours for maximums tabletop candiness

I love the sculpts, anyone who has built any WWII vehicles can immediately recognise various parts of the tanks so they ooze authentic but they are on legs....ON LEGS! LEGS DAMNIT!

Wow.... just wow.

(message was too short so system wouldn't allow me to post. So here's another WOW.)

Dustkits3.jpg Dustkits1.jpg

Dusttanktrapscrates.jpg

Few snippets. Whipped through the scenery that came with the base set and both campaigns, literally half hour with the airbrush, 4 colours and some old spnge and brown paint! I can now officially say I am all up to date! Shame the revised core set wasn't released this weekend over here in the UK....still in a defo Dust painting mood....ahh well maybe next week :)

To comfort myself I bagged the two kits from Ebay, figured the Gunther and the other kit (once Dusted over with a little WWII gear) would make good objectives for future games, building them will give me something to do on the long cold nights in the Lake District when I go on my hols soon too!

your stuff looks briljant!

After seeing this I really have to buy a airbrush! ... have to!!

regards Tom

Yeah, what brand/kind of airbrush do you use? Never really thought about using one, but it seems great for speed painting and blending.

Well the only one I have used is the Iwata HP-BH so that's really the only one I can recommend, never failed me (touch wood) easy to use and being gravity fed a pleasure to use and clean. Might not be the cheapest or the most expensive but it's worth it's weight in gold as far as I am concerned!

It's defo worth splashing out on a large compressor however, I have a Tiger 8/45 I bought a few years back now, huge beast size of a small island but it means no annoying constant motor sound and a nice clean air supply

Just such a great looking force all around! Amazing looking walkers. I would like to see you make some matching terrain to play on, bet you could whip out an awesome urban warfare looking setting with your mad airbrush skills! Been thinking about getting an airbrush myself, just need to convince my wife it has "real world" uses as well as hobby:)

Pooflinger76 said:

Just such a great looking force all around! Amazing looking walkers. I would like to see you make some matching terrain to play on, bet you could whip out an awesome urban warfare looking setting with your mad airbrush skills! Been thinking about getting an airbrush myself, just need to convince my wife it has "real world" uses as well as hobby:)

She could possible airbrush her nails ;)

Nice models as always Bulldog and very fast too.

HeavyFlakGrenadiers.jpg HeavyLaserGrenadiers.jpg Lara.jpg sturmpioneers1.jpg hans1.jpg hans2.jpg HammersRhino.jpg hellboys3.jpg DeathDealers.jpg Blackhawk1.jpg

Blackhawk2.jpg

hols out of the way! Back into the grind decided to sneak in a few more Dust models before I start on the next 40k commission models so here they are, this post represents the contents of the revised core edition of Dust

Trying to keep the colours faithful to the card art as our little group are casual players and only get a few hours a week, would rather not spend most of that time trying to figure out what squad is where!

Don't really play Dust Tactics. Just decided to pop by since I do paint 40k minis, albeit my skills are nowhere near yours lengua.gif . I really like the job you did with the "storm troopers" (the ones with the gas mask). Apologies for just calling them "storm troopers" cos I don't really know them by name. Bulldoguk, that is really well done!

Airbrush wise, I'd recommend Badger although its my personal preference. Many airbrushes have internal mixing capability but its the first brand I've ever come across and used. My local hobby store also sells Herpa, also with a compressor.