Saturday Night Showdown at the Event Center

By Delobius, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Figured we should have a dedicated thread for this thing...

Any games tonight (Jan 29)?

How about this Saturday (5 Feb)? Did our recent cold spell destroy the state's internet...?!

I'll be there at 6.

We will be holding tourneys/open play/league on Saturdays beginning at 5 PM. Unless otherwise noted here, come on out to the event center.

As to what the format will be each week, I will attempt to remember to come here and post what the plan is.

The plan, as of right now for Saturday the 19th, is a joust tourney. Hope to see you all there.

fyi, we are off this saturday the 26th due to a scheduling conflict with the event center. they have an all day thing for a new game going on.

there are those of us who would be interested in gaming at the source this saturday instead. who else would be interested?

I'd be down for some play at the Source. What time?

Delobius said:

I'd be down for some play at the Source. What time?

5 - 5:30

we are back at the event center this upcoming saturday (March 5th) @ 5 pm. plan on a joust tourney. if plans change, i will post them.

The Nick-ler said:

we are back at the event center this upcoming saturday (March 5th) @ 5 pm. plan on a joust tourney. if plans change, i will post them.

Can't wait.

It'd be nice to have some game reports, win rankings, etc here - a little something to build hype. It'd be embarrassing for some (like me!) but it'd be interesting to see who had the best record over time. Also would be interesting to see what houses/builds people are using. What do you guys think?

Delobius said:

It'd be nice to have some game reports, win rankings, etc here - a little something to build hype. It'd be embarrassing for some (like me!) but it'd be interesting to see who had the best record over time. Also would be interesting to see what houses/builds people are using. What do you guys think?

well, nothing to report from last saturday. we didn't really have enough people for a tourney. we did get in a quality melee. i'll try to remember to post results after each game night. ^__^

Just a reminder that we are on for this Saturday the 12th at the FFGEC @ 5 PM for open play/tourney. On a related note, a bunch of the LCG designers have decided to road trip it up to The Gamers Den in Cambridge, MN on Tuesday the 15th for some open play/tourney. I will be there and I hope you can make it.

The Nick-ler said:

Just a reminder that we are on for this Saturday the 12th at the FFGEC @ 5 PM for open play/tourney. On a related note, a bunch of the LCG designers have decided to road trip it up to The Gamers Den in Cambridge, MN on Tuesday the 15th for some open play/tourney. I will be there and I hope you can make it.

It would be really cool to see a bunch of new faces. One of the things we've been trying to determine is if there is interest in a second MN Regionals event at our store during the last available weekend, and if we had some communication with the otehr MN players it would go a long way towards us determining if we want to submit an application. We've held two regional events before, and know how to put on a good show.

Plus, most of us are pretty fanatical about the game, so you'll get to play with some serious players, even if we aren't top tier competition. After all, Nick-ler was corrupted by us.

JerusalemJones said:

After all, Nick-ler was corrupted by us.

other way around, sugar lumps! ^__^

Hey, I can see your new avatar!

JerusalemJones said:

Hey, I can see your new avatar!

~sorry, i forgot to zip.

anywho... we're on for open play starting @ 5 and hopefully a tourney to follow around 5:30 or 6. hope to see you there.

it was a good night. got a few friendlies in with nate before we got a tourney going. we had 7 players total. it was nate, will, matt, lucas, 2 newer gentlemen who's names i cannot remember and myself. the spread was a greyjoy/wildling (nate), greyjoy/raider (new guy #1 [sorry i can't remember your name]), a couple martell decks (matt and new guy #2), a bara knights (will) and 2 targ burn decks (lucas and myself). i ended up winning 3-0 with my targ shadows/burn.

first round was against one of the new guys who was using my greyjoy/raider deck. he only has a handful of games under his belt and only 1 melee game with this particular deck. being new and not really knowing the deck, i ended up winning round 5ish with a few powerful dothraki's and solid draw.

props: jhogo for being awesome

slops: my greyjoy deck for not performing well for my opponent.

second round was a nail biter between me and matthew. he was rocking a nasty martel challenge control deck. i held him off playing catch-up and 'burn the most obnoxious character' each round. matt got up to about 10 power while i was hovering around 5-7 and gaining. he had a bastard of godsgrace doped up with 2 taste for bloods and a he calls it thinking attached which is where he had most of his power around plot 5. i valar'd and got rid of him only to see matt the red viper. with some luck i was able to keep his board controlled with some burn to minimize the vipers impact and after plot rotation dropped fortified positions to keep the viper at bey for the win.

props: the dragon pit. i wouldn't have won without it.

slops: i could not get my draw engine to work.

final round was against will who was running the bara knights of the realm deck. i was worried because its tough for my shadows deck to get going quickly where will had won his first two games in the first 3 turns. i had an awful setup and was sure he was going to walk all over me for 3 turns with renown and power grab. so i decided to take a chance and do something i had never done with my deck and 'threat from the north' first turn. he had two 2str characters and a 3 str character out after marshaling. thanks to a play mistake on his part i was able to discard both of his 2 str characters with forever burning and keep my characters on the field. after the second round it looked to me like he overextended and 3rd round i valar'd with a 'to be a dragon' to get back jhogo and will never seemed to recover. i didn't have many characters coming up so i sat and plinked a power here and there all the while burning his characters and, quite frankly, being a pest. neither of our decks seemed to do what they were supposed to be doing, but mine just kept recurring burn and he sat relatively helpless to 3 forever burnings/dragon pit per turn. i finally got him in plot 7.

props: forever burning and threat from the north

slops: my draw engine (yet again)

i would be remiss if i didn't mention the friendly lucas and i had after the tourney. we both sat down with targ burn and proceeded to burn the living hell out of each other for 8 or 9 rounds with lucas decking himself in the process. it was a glorious bloodbath that i will remember for months to come. i don't think there wasn't a single character that spent more than 2 rounds on the table. he was running the targ 'hills' to throw all of my goodies into my dead pile and hitting me with 'nightmares in the north' which, consequently, ended up biting him in the ass (see decking out). he got me for 12 cards on one such occasion, though getting himself for about 7. in the end it just so happened that all the big nasty characters he had were dead and all he had left to attack me with were weenies. the dragonpit to the rescue! anyways, let this be a lesson to all of you targ players out there ^__^. try to keep away from having to play another targ deck.

tl;dr short version is i actually won (a nice change of pace for me) 3-0. 5-1 on the night. much better than i usually do. march 19th we're back at the FFGEC starting @ 5 for open play, 5:30 for a tourney. again, there will be a road trip up to cambridge to the gamers den ( http://www.gamersden.net/ ) with some of FFG's lcg designers on this tuesday, march 15 for some lcg-lovin'. hope to see some of you make it.

it'd be nice to have some game reports, win rankings, etc. here...

Was this what you were looking for? if so, i'll try and do it each week.

That was great, Nick - thanks! Nice to hear some stories.

What time are people heading up to Cambridge? Might be able to do that since I haven't had Saturdays free for a while.

Well, I will be opening the Cambridge store at about 4pm, and most of the locals were start showing up between 4 and 6 (and we'll play game, and do some demos if people show up). The FFG crew won't be leaving until 6pm, when they get done with work. Somehow, I don't think they'll be able to convince their boss that coming to our store is a legitimate business function.

Like hell - it's retailer outreach! gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'll try to get up there around 4 or 4:30. Looking forward to seeing the place!

Delobius said:

if you get up there early i'll be at the coffee shop around the corner, Cafe Caffeine.

The Nick-ler said:

Delobius said:

if you get up there early i'll be at the coffee shop around the corner, Cafe Caffeine.

Wha... You should be here now!

...and bring me coffee. gran_risa.gif

Awesome games at the Gamer's Den last night - thanks to JerusalemJones and the Cambridge crew for the hospitality. Great comp all around, and pretty respectable turnout for a Tuesday night - 11 of us were there, I think.

I'm happy to say I broke my losing streak, getting my first wins ever "in public," going 4-3 with my Baratheon Asshai deck.

That was a pretty decent deck, though I think it is short a few more Holy crests. Getting a third turn power rush for the win is pretty decent, though. The Power of Faith with that 6 initiative is money. Ask Nick sometime about the team decks we made that were Holy based.

it was a great night, and I hope that we can all get together here again, since the store keeps me from making it to the EC to play.

fyi, we're on tonight at the FFGEC. keep in mind that it will probably be busy as it is their one year anniversary. they are doing their free one month membership deal. though i suppose that may be a good reason to show up tonight (assuming you don't already have a membership to the ec).