X-Wing moving to Atomic Mass Games

By PhantomFO, in X-Wing

11 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Apparently, several people at FFG, including key designers, lost their job in this move.

Is there an article on this? Names etc. and if this is true shame on FFG and AtomicMassGames for this move during a global pandemic

Edited by Cgriffith
10 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Apparently, several people at FFG, including key designers, lost their job in this move.

That’s unconfirmed at the moment, right?

I’m pretty sure OP doesn’t survive the move, which is a super hard blow, because atomic mass games has no OP that I’m aware of.

26 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm not doing a 3rd edition.

I wouldn't mind a 3rd edition if they handled the updates the same way say... 40k does them.

A big reason 2.0 was so traumatic is that it was trying to be a 're-launch' and had a large discontinuity with the previous edition, like the conversion kits intending to be 'holdover' products. If they make 3.0, they need to position the kits less like a 'if your a vet here is how you keep your content in the game at the bare minimum' product, and more as a 'EVERY player needs a conversion kit' product. Akin to a codex from 40k, this would allow them to package mechanics and plastic separately and would help with the reprint problem a lot. The way 2.0 handled reprints made backstock a huge problem, while 40k can just print as stock runs out because the plastic is relatively rules agnostic. Then just release new cards that come after the kit in card packs, rather than bundled with plastic, and you get a model that allows for pretty seamless edition updates.

The specifics super matter here. Another 2.0 'relaunch' would be devastating, but a rules reboot with a bunch of new 30 dollar conversion kits that are far more comprehensive than the previous set isn't the end of the world.

Edited by dezzmont

I don't think the sky is falling, this is simply a corporate reorg. But there are always questions of why a reorganization takes the form it does.

- Atomic Mass Games to my knowledge only has a single game, Marvel Crisis Protocol. ****, their "corporate" web site is more an ad for that one game then anything else, showing their singular focus. Interesting that Asmodee chose to merge 3 of FFG's games over there rather than the reverse. Not worth speculating, but definitely curious.

- What's that mean for FFG's eventual role in all of this? Asmodee hasn't really seemed to define out a unique role for FFG and just carved off some profitable products to Atomic.

Seems like somebody at Atomic sold Asmodee leadership on their vision of the future. Which is another way of saying they didn't like the vision coming out of FFG. That's a corporation for you.

It's all Asmodee though. They own all of it.

And again, waiting on purchases until the future health of the game becomes clear has kind of a self fulfilling prophecy vibe to it.

Hopefully we do get some more info soon to help quell fears and explain future release windows.

37 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, ditto.

But:

“Combing their talent with the strength of our current Star Wars miniatures games and the limitless possibilities of a galaxy far, far away is going to lead to incredible new experiences for tabletop gamers and Star Wars fans to enjoy.”

Promise of something more for XWM is intriguing, given that I eake out a living at the bottom of FFG's XWM food chain.

I'm not doing a 3rd edition.

I’m not afraid of 3.0 coming already while 2.0 is going so well relatively speaking.

I would not read too far into the new experiences as anything but corporate hype, though it would be nice to see some campaigns, more epic support, and other formats beyond standard hyperspace or extended

1 hour ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Armada is a dead game, because it has unreleased content and no one plays it.

Both of those are false statements. It has freaking Clone Wars coming out in less than a month.

Just because it has one wave a year doesn't mean it's dead. And there are plenty of people that play it.

20 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Is there an article on this? Names etc. and if this is true shame on FFG and AtomicMassGames for this move during a global pandemic

Don't shame them, shame Asmodee.

It's known for sure that Matt Holland is no longer working for FFG. Due to Discord discussions.

Edited by MegaSilver

As long as it continues on "as is" basically (I don't want to start assembling and painting the ships), I'm fine with it. Hopefully it'll be a seamless transition... from a player's perspective. Very sad about the big changes on FFG's side obviously.

Edited by admat

Interesting news for sure, I wonder what that means for the future of Star Wars games in general. I also noticed that they didn’t include Imperial Assault in the list of Star Wars miniatures games moving over. The head of Asmodee said that the tale of Imperial Assault is not done so I wonder if they consider that to be a board game?

There is the as yet unreleased Armada products so I think they’ll continue FFGs plans thus far. So whatever clone wars x-wing products are in the pipe as of yet.

43 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

Another 2.0 'relaunch' would be devastating, but a rules reboot with a bunch of new 30 dollar conversion kits that are far more comprehensive than the previous set isn't the end of the world.

Uh.

That's exactly how they launched 2.0.

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

That's exactly how they launched 2.0.

It isn't, if you would move your bold a lil over to the right.

The 2.0 conversion kits were not really a comprehensive product and it deeply shows that the intent was originally to release new products with re-release plastic. I mean the Rebel kit outright tipped their hand by including the 'wave 1 rebel cards' inside. Its... super obvious that the intent was for more card content to come in future packs, but that didn't end up happening. In my opinion it was wise not to try to force people to buy re-prints, but by going half in half out it caused some damage to the game.

I don't think its time for 3.0 mind, but I don't think 3.0 would be a disaster if handled well. Plenty of other mini games do regular edition updates that require supplementary product purchases. It is unrealistic to expect there never to be another edition update unless the game is retired.

Edited by dezzmont

Yeah, its going to be about a year before we see any effects of this restructuring. This does feel like a standard higher up thinking of streamlining their various companies.

Atomic Mass was created by asmodee (which is very different to many of its subsidiaries which were buy outs or mergers), the made it and launched it it marvel crises protocol as a miniature games dedicated studio. The developers there are supposed to be very experienced miniature gamers, with new staff from ffg moving in it could end up being a good thing having a studio that has specifically been created for doing these sort of games handling x wing. Time will tell, would be good to get some news articles from them sooner rather than later.

really hope OP gets up and running so we know what to expect.

I would suspect asmodee planned this or at least thought about it as an intention if marvel crises went well when they created the studio.

i would also imagine that asmodee would want OP for x wing to continue as it drives the game.

27 minutes ago, dezzmont said:

It isn't, if you would move your bold a lil over to the right.

Oh, OK.

1 hour ago, dezzmont said:

The specifics super matter here. Another 2.0 'relaunch' would be devastating, but a rules reboot with a bunch of new 30 dollar conversion kits that are far more comprehensive than the previous set isn't the end of the world.

Nope.

I'd still be pissed to spend $30 per faction to upgrade again.

Unlike some players, I actually explore all the factions, so taking a hit 7 times instead of 5 times is NOT an improvement.

It is unrealistic to expect there never to be another edition update unless the game is retired.

True, but I'd like to get more than 2-3 years between conversions. ****, since I waited to convert for over a year, I've only been playing 2.0 for about a year now.

And I'd like them to be far more organic than "toss everything but the minis." Wasting money to rebuy the cardboard is just as bad, IHMO, since the only thing I really use is the dial. But you can't play without dials.

Quick thoughts

if you need a conversion kit buy it now...
I don’t expect a major game shift for Xwing like 1 to 2.0 if they even decide to change things... the shift to 2.0 allows whomever takes over to balance the game without new conversion kits.

honestly I’m happy someone else is taking the reins I was disappointed in ffg distribution and manufacturing of out of print products... the app was a complete abject failure that never materialized correctly and it’s an essential part of the game redesign to 2.0.

Xwing needs to take a new design approach to its epic and its narrative design as it’s left on the back burner. They might just scrap epic all together and just let armada be the epic game.

Edited by Gungo
32 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

True, but I'd like to get more than 2-3 years between conversions. ****, since I waited to convert for over a year, I've only been playing 2.0 for about a year now.

And I'd like them to be far more organic than "toss everything but the minis." Wasting money to rebuy the cardboard is just as bad, IHMO, since the only thing I really use is the dial. But you can't play without dials.

I agree on this. Buying a 30 dollar codex per-faction you play in 40k is fine when editions have a gap of 3-5 years, would suck every 2, even if its ultimately a minor purchase, just because it would be a pain. For X-wing its worse because of the cardboard management. Ideally 3.0 would minimize the amount of cardboard that had to be tossed.

1.0 lasted a pretty heroic length of time at 6 years, and it really was buckling under the weight of its own age. We are at a little over 2 years out on 2.0, so ideally we shouldn't be worrying about this at all until like mid 2022, maybe extremely late 2021 if they really hit a wall with mechanics.

Edited by dezzmont
21 minutes ago, Storgar said:

Atomic Mass was created by asmodee (which is very different to many of its subsidiaries which were buy outs or mergers), the made it and launched it it marvel crises protocol as a miniature games dedicated studio. The developers there are supposed to be very experienced miniature gamers, with new staff from ffg moving in it could end up being a good thing having a studio that has specifically been created for doing these sort of games handling x wing. Time will tell, would be good to get some news articles from them sooner rather than later.

really hope OP gets up and running so we know what to expect.

I would suspect asmodee planned this or at least thought about it as an intention if marvel crises went well when they created the studio.

i would also imagine that asmodee would want OP for x wing to continue as it drives the game.

Well, in part that was likely due to the cost of the marvel license. Took a company with deep pockets to pick it up, then they built a team as they had limited experience with this type of game. FFG has been doing this for a while as well though, and it's interesting that Asmodee is betting on Atomic instead.

I dunno, Legion seems like a better fit in my opinion, given that it is also a hobby style miniatures games involving assembly, painting and scenery. There's clear overlap there with what Atomic is doing with it's one game. X-Wing is prepainted, arguably collectible, and a very different beast in terms of tournament support which Atomic has little to no experience with. There's nothing about Marvel Crisis Protocol that's going to make people lose their **** from balance issues like they do regularly for X-Wing. Handing it off to new leadership, with frankly very limited experience in this unique type of market, could have some interesting results.

Edited by CountBlah
1 minute ago, Gungo said:

Quick thoughts

if you need a conversion kit buy it now...
I don’t expect a major game shift for Xwing like 1 to 2.0 if they even decide to change things...

honestly I’m happy someone else is taking the reins I was disappointed in ffg distribution and manufacturing of out of print products... the app was a complete abject failure that never materialized correctly and it’s an essential part of the game redesign to 2.0.

Xwing needs to take a new design approach to its epic and its narrative design as it’s left on the back burner. They might just scrap epic all together and just let armada be the epic game.

But it’s still all owned by the same company. I’m still optimistic that things can be turned around but with a complete and utter failure in the app and distribution issues I really expect more of the same. This is still all the same company irregardless of what you call it, it’s like having a terrible landlord and hoping for changes because his wife starts collecting rent instead.

This gets a strong "WTF?" from me.

I can see trying to streamline game production or build synergies. But to give three well regarded, outstanding games, at least tow of which are proven money-makers, and hand them to a new studio that's had one product that is less than a year old strikes me as risky. Even if it's 100% of the design and development teams -- and it appears it is not -- just the leadership and structure change introduces risk.

Plus changing labels from a proven brand ... I dunno. I know what an FFG game is, or used to. I don't know what an AMG game is.

My X-wing and Legion buying have slowed dramatically already and I'll probably not get a face to face game in for at least another six months with the pandemic, so this is just a good reason to hit pause and wait things out.

3 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Hmmm..... thoughts?

Game over

Asmodee is terrible at holding licenses.

I've been asked about this and I'll just add some thoughts and people can take it or leave it.
-
I played Warmachine while some of the devs at AMG were either playing the game or devs for it. I participated in CIDs where some of the current AMG staff were devs. I've also seen what happened when they left Privateer Press and launched Marvel Crisis Protocol. Overall, I think they're good designers and generally have faith in them to produce a good game.
-
If you've checked the playtester credits on some of the Star Wars Legion, you've also probably figured out that I did do some testing with that company. I also own Legion, Armada and X-Wing stuff and play those games.
-
I don't think it's a good or bad thing, it's just a new thing. I'm curious if AMG will bring on some of the FFG devs or just handle everything themselves. There are some names I would like to see return to continue their stewardship and some others that, I wouldn't be disappointed to see back, but would be interested to see what a fresh face with a new perspective would do.
-
Grain of salt etc

Inb4 the first ship designed by atomic mass is a 4 die turret

5 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Inb4 the first ship designed by atomic mass is a 4 die turret

Good sir, have you met our Lord and Savior, Dash Rendar?

Cards don't have points. Cardboard all has the lines. The dials are probably fine. Honestly, a soft reboot would only require new points. Maybe pick a few cards to toss out and replace when future squadron packs hit. For example, when the scum pack drops, include a new version of Boba and relegate the old version. Not saying they will or should but they could.