X-Wing moving to Atomic Mass Games

By PhantomFO, in X-Wing

Hmmm..... thoughts?

Inb4 sky is falling posts.

But honestly, that's interesting, there's a lot of potential, good and bad, in this move, so I guess it's a definite wait and see. If nothing else we should see some new ideas from the design team.

PS: Is this forum going byebye?

Edited by Cerebrawl

I think it's going to be a division of things, like Atomic Mass Games will be straight miniatures

2 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

PS: Is this forum going byebye?

Doubtful. The SW Destiny forum still exists, and it's a dead game.

🤨

Simone Elliott, who has shepherded Fantasy Flight’s relationship with Lucasfilm Licensing since 2015, will lead Atomic Mass Games during this time of expansion as Head of Studio. Will Shick assumes primary creative oversight as Head of Product Development. Joining them will be key members of the teams involved in the creation and evolution of Fantasy Flight’s current Star Wars miniatures games, Star Wars X-Wing , Star Wars Legion , and Star Wars Armada .

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

I am more apprehensive about this than not. Time will tell.

remember that with this consolidation i think it will be easier for them to survive the pandemic. Also with all of the stuff set up to come out for x-wing they might be able to push the boundaries on a few things. I mean realistically i don't think there will be new stuff probably till Spring so lets hope.

Atomic Mass is a great company. That being said I don't know if they have the man power to handle 3 new games and Marvel Crisis.

Time will tell, but this is not great news for FFG.

It does say some of the people involved in development will be moving over with the games, so its not like they are starting over

I think my purchasing of any more X-Wing miniatures is on hold until further notice. Until I see a stable fundamental organizational response on the direction of X-Wing and how exactly the new development team is comprised.

4 minutes ago, Mrk1984 said:

It does say some of the people involved in development will be moving over with the games, so its not like they are starting over

Yeah, but that's exactly what concerns me. Some , not all, which means it's a different team no matter what. That could be better, it could be worse, but it's not going to be the same. I'm fine with how it is right now, so that alone is reason to be nervous.

Edited by Jokubas
3 minutes ago, RPGFanboy said:

Atomic Mass is a great company. That being said I don't know if they have the man power to handle 3 new games and Marvel Crisis.

Time will tell, but this is not great news for FFG.

Design wise, I think Crisis Protocol is a brilliant game. The only thing I worry about is that all Legion miniatures become 20+ pieces for each figure. I honestly dislike the sprue design for Crisis Protocol.

But having Atomic Mass focus in miniature games, and I'm sure there will be a shift in talent, it works well.

Is it bad for FFG? i don't think so. Makes the company smaller and they can focus on board games as opposed to miniature games.

Just now, Jokubas said:

Yeah, but that's exactly what concerns me. Some , not all, which means it's a different team no matter what. That could be better, it could be worse, but it's not going to be the same.

Its not like the teams developing all the FFG star wars games haven't changed over time already. I guess it really comes down to who the lead designer will be, and if a new person, is it someone that was already part of the team before.

The RPGs have been moved by Asmodee from FFG to EDGE, in a similar fashion, but the forums are still here, so I wouldn't stress too much.

13 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I think my purchasing of any more X-Wing miniatures is on hold until further notice. Until I see a stable fundamental organizational response on the direction of X-Wing and how exactly the new development team is comprised.

Can't tell you how to live your life but if we want them to keep making the game, it helps to keep buying the minis. I don't have any familiarity with Crisis Protocol but I don't see any reason to assume AMG is going to do a worse job of balancing the game than FFG has done. I expect this is good news in the long run. Have to wait and see of course. Just thought I'd mention that if we all stop buying, we are telling Asmodee to just pull the plug on X-Wing and that ain't cool.

From what I can tell, Asmodee owns both Atomic Mass and Fantasy Flight. So, if anything, this feels like a re-consolidation. Also, it feels like much of the FFG talent that worked on X-Wing 1.0/2.0 are moving over to AMG.

1 hour ago, PhantomFO said:

This is not a shock. It was already announced by Asmodee earlier this year that they were going to break FFG into two parts: a company for the miniature games (see subject) and another company for board and card games.

This is more of an "about time" than a "holy crap" moment

Was it Q1 this year? I remember that interview with Asmodee USA's head that he spoke about this upcoming move.

Edited by kris40k
51 minutes ago, ianediger said:

Doubtful. The SW Destiny forum still exists, and it's a dead game.

Complete game. SW Destiny is a complete game, not a dead one.

Armada is a dead game, because it has unreleased content and no one plays it.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

I play a bit of Marvel crisis protocol, its a fun game, that lends a lot frem legion. But if x-wing and Legion gets even pricier, to where the Marvel figures are priced, im out. Im already not buying stuff for Crisis Protocol, because its way to expensive in Denmark at least.

It would be nice if they'd give us something to go on. Either an announcement of the next wave, or some kind of announcement about their intentions (3e? More 2e? Design philosophy? Etc) would go a long way towards settling any upset this will cause.

51 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Can't tell you how to live your life but if we want them to keep making the game, it helps to keep buying the minis. I don't have any familiarity with Crisis Protocol but I don't see any reason to assume AMG is going to do a worse job of balancing the game than FFG has done. I expect this is good news in the long run. Have to wait and see of course. Just thought I'd mention that if we all stop buying, we are telling Asmodee to just pull the plug on X-Wing and that ain't cool.

Might be good news in the long run as you say but as of now what I know about Atomicmass’ prices, not knowing who, what and where this game is heading is very concerning. There needed to be more information provided so as such I can only go off the article, my knowledge of AtomicMassGames established price points, developmental philosophies and that to me is concerning. By the way I just canceled my pre-order of my last wave citing this announcement and they understood. Even adding others have done the same.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

I am more apprehensive about this than not. Time will tell.

Yeah, ditto.

But:

“Combing their talent with the strength of our current Star Wars miniatures games and the limitless possibilities of a galaxy far, far away is going to lead to incredible new experiences for tabletop gamers and Star Wars fans to enjoy.”

Promise of something more for XWM is intriguing, given that I eake out a living at the bottom of FFG's XWM food chain.

1 hour ago, Cgriffith said:

Personally, I'll do the exact opposite.

I'm going to make sure I have everything I want in case XWM 2.0 becomes XWM-not-reverse-compatible.

I'm not doing a 3rd edition.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Here is my concern. We are talking about FFG moving star wars miniatures over to another house. The RPG is going to another house. These were not fostered and developed by Asmodee, they were developed by FFG. So with the RPG and the miniatures being at arms length from each other that means less synergy. Also what about art assets how do they work? Look it may just be me but it feels like FFG cant manage the license anymore and have split the license between different organisations. I get they are under Asmodee but it is still siloing the games. I don't think that is a great thing. From a basic logistic level, you are having decisions made that the other partner is not involved with so you can get some fracturing.

To give an example. Lets say that they do a Bo Katan mini and cover the mando in the RPG and then also in the card game (Im making some assumptions ) Well what if the Bo Katan in the RPG has master level Piloting but in X-Wing and Legion she has great combat ability but no piloting ability. Then in the card game they decide that she has a command ability in the card game but this is not reflected in Legion. This is something that I feel we will loose. Also the art assets, The RPG they use the Mando as a model, but in X-Wing and Legion they use Clone Wars.

Big note - I do not believe that this would be the case or that this specific example would be how it would look for Bo Katan but for the example I needed something to explain my concern

Apparently, several people at FFG, including key designers, lost their job in this move.

Edited by Lyianx