New squadrons packs ?

By Arkanta974, in X-Wing

I find it odd that people keep wanting Hera in more ships, but that there were also complaints about Oddball being on most of the Republic ships.

For Phoenix Squadron I would rather have Wedge and Hobbie (with his 1e ability) in A-wings than more Hera, Ezra, or Sabine. I'd even encourage Shara Bey in an A-wing. More Y-wing pilots (Tiree and Pops) or B-wing pilots (Adar Fox,and Nera Dantels) would be nice as well.

2 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

I find it odd that people keep wanting Hera in more ships, but that there were also complaints about Oddball being on most of the Republic ships.

I used to listen to a Heroes of the Storm podcast, and one of the hosts (Kyle Fergusson) used to have this thing about the Internet's opinion about bananas. One day, it'll all be "Bananas are terrible, we hate them." And then the next day, the internet will be like "Bananas are the best fruit ever." "Make up your minds about Bananas!" Kyle would joke, since it's not the same people.

There are two big differences: [1] Rebels have a decent number of Init 5s who aren't Hera. In Republic, it's just Ric and Oddball for non-Jedi. [2] Oddball's ability kinda sucks. He'd maybe be OK in a TIE Interceptor or equivalent, but what he currently flies...

wrong forum, move on

Edited by LUZ_TAK
12 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

For Phoenix Squadron I would rather have Wedge and Hobbie (with his 1e ability) in A-wings than more Hera, Ezra, or Sabine. I'd even encourage Shara Bey in an A-wing. More Y-wing pilots (Tiree and Pops) or B-wing pilots (Adar Fox,and Nera Dantels) would be nice as well.

I'm down for Wedge and Hobbie, but why not also give us Hera? Heck, I'd like to see just about any named pilot from Phoenix Squadron as well as Sabine in an a-wing, though I recognize that most of them aren't that recognizable (also Ezra maybe, he only piloted a trainer IIRC). Outside of A-wings, Hera would also be fun to see in an X-Wing, as would Secon Daree and Matt Martin (who I'd also like to see in a YT-2400).

I know we won't get all of those pilots, but any number of them in an card pack would make me happy.

Alluding to Secon Daree's behind the scenes name origin, would be fun to see him have an ability to let him make a bonus attack when someone near him attacks, probably spending a charge.

26 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

I'd even encourage Shara Bey in an A-wing.

We'd all like to see that, but her A-Wing subtitle is what she has in the ARC, so that means her initiative and ability would be very likely to port over directly. I4 isn't what Rebels need right now, even though the synergy with Jake would be awesome. Currently the A-Wing doesn't even have an I5 (though the Resistance has three of them!) and Hera easily deserves I6 from what we've seen on- and off-screen.

Her Specter-1 ability is as uninspiring as the chassis she flies it on; we need powerful dogfighters in the Rebel faction and she's the prime candidate in the new canon. New ability, new initiative, new chassis, and it won't feel like a rehash.

30 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

You'll note that they don't really complain about 4 different Anakins. The I4 one is uninspiring but cost-friendly and pleasantly thematic. The I6 version is the go-to though.

We currently have the little Ani version of Hera. We want the Ace Machine she grows up to be.

37 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

Just to add: I'd love to see Wedge in an A-Wing (same ability, maybe lower Init since he was only an A-Wing pilot as a mediocre rookie, before Hera schooled him on how to fly right). I'd love to see Shara Bey, but ideally with some other pilot ability. It's trash on an ARC, but it'd be even worse on an A-Wing.

52 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

Oddball is mostly chassis problems rather than the pilot. His ability requires stress, but the ships he flies don't clear stress well. An ARC-170 can if you give it an R4, but lining up the bullseye on a medium base isn't an easy take. when the V-Wing finally makes it's way to X-Wing and it is fairly maneuverable, if he is a pilot for it, it will finally turn from a poor to a decent ability.

Compare that to Hera, who has a decent ability that will be a great ability ona ship with larger blues/reds.

Edited by 5050Saint

Looking back at the announcement of these things, they said:

1 New paint schemes for previously released ships

2 Brand new pilots for established factions.

3 New versions of existing pilots.

So I would expect A-Wing and X or B wing? But Hera is likely to have a brand new ability.

10 hours ago, Asaverino1019 said:

People want a high-initiative pilot with a strong ability to make the RZ-1 A-wing in particular 'viable' as an Ace/Arc-dodger.

I've complained about Oddball because he's the only high-initiative clone pilot we've got (limits list building opportunities) and his pilot ability is incredibly difficult to work with.

15 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

We'd all like to see that, but her A-Wing subtitle is what she has in the ARC, so that means her initiative and ability would be very likely to port over directly. I4 isn't what Rebels need right now, even though the synergy with Jake would be awesome. Currently the A-Wing doesn't even have an I5 (though the Resistance has three of them!) and Hera easily deserves I6 from what we've seen on- and off-screen.

Her Specter-1 ability is as uninspiring as the chassis she flies it on; we need powerful dogfighters in the Rebel faction and she's the prime candidate in the new canon. New ability, new initiative, new chassis, and it won't feel like a rehash.

You'll note that they don't really complain about 4 different Anakins. The I4 one is uninspiring but cost-friendly and pleasantly thematic. The I6 version is the go-to though.

We currently have the little Ani version of Hera. We want the Ace Machine she grows up to be.

Anakin also has two really useful pilot choices (the above mentioned little Ani and the delta 7 Anakin. The Ywing one just doesn’t seem worth the points at all because it is going to burn down without good reposition options and a single green die.

Hera in an Awing with a new pilot ability would be awesome, even if she keeps the i5 level. I’m not overly picky who we get in the RZ1, but we need an ace to come out and play.

I’m also hoping for “baby Wedge” in the RZ1, where he’s good but not the I6 Ace we know him as quite yet. Maybe a 4?

15 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Oddball is mostly chassis problems rather than the pilot. His ability requires stress, but the ships he flies don't clear stress well.

^ This. We complain about Odd Ball because he’s a not good pilot that has been hastily copied and pasted into all the clone chassis but none of them really want to or can capitalize on his ability. He’s basically there just for his i5 and that’s not really worth it right now.

Maybe he’ll be alright in a V-wing, particularly if the V has a link to red barrel roll, but it’s also possible he won’t make an appearance as he is dead before we see a V-wing canonically on screen (unless they show up in the books earlier? I don’t recall ever seeing one in the cartoon series and by the time in Ep3 they show up he’s already deceased over Coruscant).

8 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Looking back at the announcement of these things, they said:

1 New paint schemes for previously released ships

2 Brand new pilots for established factions.

3 New versions of existing pilots.

So I would expect A-Wing and X or B wing? But Hera is likely to have a brand new ability.

Right - unless they surprise us with one previously not reprinted ship I’m expecting to see just those 3 in some combination. I’m not in a huge need of any of them, but will be buying the box anyway for the pilots. Maybe if it’s 2x RZ1 + B (or X) that would be ideal, because I can then have enough models for my 5 snapshot Rebel As (up to this point, I have exactly one of each 1.0 and 2.0 RZ1)

On 6/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, ScummyRebel said:

Betting all will be revealed at GenCon in flight report analogue, and not a moment sooner.

GenCon was supposed to be end of july. But it has been cancelled due to the pandemic. Maybe they reorganized their announcements. They have announced something new for LOT5R 2 days ago.

I know that it can wait a month, but why would FFG wait so long ? There was so many leaks these last weeks

11 minutes ago, Silver_leader said:

GenCon was supposed to be end of july. But it has been cancelled due to the pandemic. Maybe they reorganized their announcements. They have announced something new for LOT5R 2 days ago.

I know that it can wait a month, but why would FFG wait so long ? There was so many leaks these last weeks

GenCon has gone virtual. There are things to do online, for free, with an online registration now. InFlight will still probably still be around that time frame.

FFG would wait that long because if they spoil early, they won’t have any cool news to go with said InFlight that is still on.

21 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

As for Fugitives and Collaborators... I'm sorry to say it but the devs said the first Squadron Pack would be Resistance, and implied it would have a Poe paintjob (probably from Ep IX which is really sad since that ugly orange X-Wing is no match to the gorgeous Black One). It would also be a very reasonable place to reintroduce the Resistance Falcon. Probably means that's all we'll see in that pack, sad as it makes me.

This some completely baseless speculation on my part, do they need to reprint the physical model for Rey's Falcon to officially introduce it to 2.0? The main visual difference is the dish which is back to the traditional round shape by RotS. Does it make more sense for FFG to include the cards and cardboard in Fugitives and Collaborators and have any new players purchase the 2.0 Rebel Falcon if they want the model? It reduces the costs on FFGs end by just having Poe's orange T-70 as the only model which *should* help keep things lower for the final product. The fan base will have less opportunity for grumbling (not that some won't no matter what) if they aren't required to buy a third/fourth/eighth Falcon just to get the new stuff.

Again, pure meaningless brain drivel on my end.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Anakin also has two really useful pilot choices (the above mentioned little Ani and the delta 7 Anakin. The Ywing one just doesn’t seem worth the points at all because it is going to burn down without good reposition options and a single green die.

Hera in an Awing with a new pilot ability would be awesome, even if she keeps the i5 level. I’m not overly picky who we get in the RZ1, but we need an ace to come out and play.

I’m also hoping for “baby Wedge” in the RZ1, where he’s good but not the I6 Ace we know him as quite yet. Maybe a 4?

I'm not a fan of the same pilot having two different initiatives in one faction. The two Anakins stymie me as when I use I6 Anakin, I4 Anakin always seems to check all the boxes for what I am looking for in a wingman/support ship. If Wedge, Hera, and Shara move to the A-wing their initiatives and abilities should be copied as is.

Also after further thought on potential A-wing pilots I'd like Tycho back (even though he's still in the game, just renamed as "Poe Dameron") and add in Pash Cracken who could maybe synergize with his dad...

51 minutes ago, Asaverino1019 said:

I'm not a fan of the same pilot having two different initiatives in one faction. The two Anakins stymie me as when I use I6 Anakin, I4 Anakin always seems to check all the boxes for what I am looking for in a wingman/support ship. If Wedge, Hera, and Shara move to the A-wing their initiatives and abilities should be copied as is.

Also after further thought on potential A-wing pilots I'd like Tycho back (even though he's still in the game, just renamed as "Poe Dameron") and add in Pash Cracken who could maybe synergize with his dad...

Went back and rewatched the announcement here.

"Familiar ships with new paintjobs"

"A bunch of new pilots and a whole bunch of new upgrades cards"

"Not limited to Rebels and Empire" but those factions will be "getting some of the exciting ones soon"

"Little more thematically oriented" paraphrase here centered around a rebel cell at a time, particular imperial battle group or a first order organization of what have you

"Pilots will thematically link together"

"Pretty hefty on upgrades." but sounds like a lot of them will be old upgrades so these will help new people get into the game.

"But a fair chunk of which are also new" The upgrades will also be thematic to the time period or media for that pack!? "Tricks that you saw them do." Hera turning and blasting with foils closed?

"Revisiting some iconic pilots at different stages of their life" "New subtitle, new ability, a new initiative if it is a significantly different stage of their life" "more options with those characters"

They even were supposed to have a slide with an example but the slide was missing and Max just decided to "let that float" meanie.

"Similar price point" to Guardians of Republic and Servants of Strife "not as much proportional reprint content" "similar not exactly the same" more about "getting a thematic squad on the table"

"First one is going to be for the resistance." "New movie" "New pilots and iconic pilots returning" "Bright orange X-wing will be in there"

So take the original announced info and then re-read the speculation here and I think a bunch of the comments are barking up the wrong tree.

• Do not expect new ships that have not been seen in 2nd edition.
  • Expect new pilots and old pilots to show up with new abilities.
  • We haven't even discussed new upgrades that I have seen. And thematic new upgrades at that.
  • If fugitives and collaborators ain't the resistance, I's cornfuseded.
1 hour ago, Asaverino1019 said:

Also after further thought on potential A-wing pilots I'd like Tycho back (even though he's still in the game, just renamed as "Poe Dameron")

Uh, what?

How is Tycho new Poe? New Poe is old Push The Limit, not Tycho.

Tycho's ability was being able to perform actions when stressed. Poe's ability is being able to perform a second action after performing an action then taking a stress. Those are not the same thing.

I desperately want Tycho back too, though. There's no reason whatsoever he can't be recanonised. He was Green 3 at Endor in Legends and the Green 3 slot is still open in canon.

9 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Uh, what?

How is Tycho new Poe? New Poe is old Push The Limit, not Tycho.

Tycho's ability was being able to perform actions when stressed. Poe's ability is being able to perform a second action after performing an action then taking a stress. Those are not the same thing.

D'oh. Thanks for reminding me. I was so used to PTL on Tycho I thought that's what his ability was.

2 hours ago, Asaverino1019 said:

I'm not a fan of the same pilot having two different initiatives in one faction. The two Anakins stymie me as when I use I6 Anakin, I4 Anakin always seems to check all the boxes for what I am looking for in a wingman/support ship.

That's the point

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

Yep, it is clear now.

Poe's white/orange X-Wing + what? 2x A-wings? Or the Scavenged YT-1300? (since it was not re-released in 2nd ed.)

Lots of Ep. 9 characters included, I suppose.

2 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Went back and rewatched the announcement here.

"Familiar ships with new paintjobs"

"A bunch of new pilots and a whole bunch of new upgrades cards"

"Not limited to Rebels and Empire" but those factions will be "getting some of the exciting ones soon"

"Little more thematically oriented" paraphrase here centered around a rebel cell at a time, particular imperial battle group or a first order organization of what have you

"Pilots will thematically link together"

"Pretty hefty on upgrades." but sounds like a lot of them will be old upgrades so these will help new people get into the game.

"But a fair chunk of which are also new" The upgrades will also be thematic to the time period or media for that pack!? "Tricks that you saw them do." Hera turning and blasting with foils closed?

"Revisiting some iconic pilots at different stages of their life" "New subtitle, new ability, a new initiative if it is a significantly different stage of their life" "more options with those characters"

They even were supposed to have a slide with an example but the slide was missing and Max just decided to "let that float" meanie.

"Similar price point" to Guardians of Republic and Servants of Strife "not as much proportional reprint content" "similar not exactly the same" more about "getting a thematic squad on the table"

"First one is going to be for the resistance." "New movie" "New pilots and iconic pilots returning" "Bright orange X-wing will be in there"

So take the original announced info and then re-read the speculation here and I think a bunch of the comments are barking up the wrong tree.

• Do not expect new ships that have not been seen in 2nd edition.
  • Expect new pilots and old pilots to show up with new abilities.
  • We haven't even discussed new upgrades that I have seen. And thematic new upgrades at that.

OK, Fugitives and Collaborators should be Resistance pack. Makes sense, actually.

Poe's white/orange X-Wing + Scavenged YT-1300, with lots of Ep. 9 characters/pilots?

24 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Poe's white/orange X-Wing + what? 2x A-wings? Or the Scavenged YT-1300? (since it was not re-released in 2nd ed.)

Lots of Ep. 9 characters included, I suppose.

YT-1300 would be my guess. Poe and Lando Pilot. Maybe Rey in a T70 despite the one she flew in the movie being a T65. I'd take Iden Versio and Zay Versio in a T70 as well. Again technically Iden flew a T65 against the FO, but Zay did fly a T70, and Zay was canonically at Exogol with the new Inferno Squadron.

48 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

YT-1300 would be my guess. Poe and Lando Pilot. Maybe Rey in a T70 despite the one she flew in the movie being a T65. I'd take Iden Versio and Zay Versio in a T70 as well. Again technically Iden flew a T65 against the FO, but Zay did fly a T70, and Zay was canonically at Exogol with the new Inferno Squadron.

Yep!

X-wing T-70 = Poe, Zay, and any pilots from the Blue or Red Squadrons.

YT-1300 = Lando, Rey, Chewie, maybe even Poe?

Now you let Iden and Rey out of the T-70.

Personally think the Scavenged YT-1300 should be its own separate release, but **** if I have any clue what could go with Poe's orange T-70 in its place.

8 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Personally think the Scavenged YT-1300 should be its own separate release, but **** if I have any clue what could go with Poe's orange T-70 in its place.

The "new" Y Wing? 499?cb=20191105202637

13 minutes ago, Mighty said:

The "new" Y Wing? 499?cb=20191105202637

Maybe. They were with Poe at Exogol.