PbP Recruitment: The High Republic - Artifacts Unbound

By Sincereagape, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

@Sincereagape :

Also, a few non-game mechanics questions ...

Are we newly-hatched independent Knights/non-Jedi equivalent, or just Senior Padawans (18+/adults but not yet officially Knights)?

You wrote that we're based out of the Dawn Temple on Spintir (Spadja sector). Are we the only ones in the temple, or are our (former) masters and/or any others there? What about support staff?

Were we always there, or were we brought up at the Coruscant Temple (or another Core temple like Chandrila, Corellia, etc.) and have just - or maybe a while ago - moved out to the Dawn Temple? (I realise that these last questions could easily depend upon the individual character's backstory.)

21 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

My Lawful Good (capital "L" capital "G" "TM" over the "d") Kyuzo might not take all that kindly to an evil robot.

21 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

@April I did make a Jedi Knight. Though probably not completely "Lawful", do not doubt her "Good" intentions. The main reason why I, too, reacted with discouragement towards 'evil'.

It was just an example of droids who went rogue.. my thoughts were the droid is a former pilot for a group of Young padawans...

the ship was attacked and he crashed on a rather “ out of the way” asteroid that he had to become rather savvy.. (and do things that a Jedi wouldn’t do, lie, cheat, steal) the droid isn’t evil ( though it is based on a IG body frame )

It is more like somebody who had to resort to dark methods to rescue the padawans who survived.

thinking of pilot /just generic smuggler

Edited by April

Crafting spam, part 3 (final):

Total budget now reduced to 609 credits. .... Final bank statement: 9 credits.

On the home stretch now ...

Armour purchase ...

Buy and install an Armour Insert armour attachment (Cyphers and Masks p. 57; also found in Gadgets and Gear) into her Jedi uniform. In game terms, it turns the normal clothing into the equivalent of Armoured Clothing (FaD p. 178). Cost = 450 credits.

(I'm planning on modding the Armour Insert at a later date, but there's no free credits left for that right now.)

Crafting a second standard lightsabre hilt for a non-lethal back-up weapon ...

Craft standard lightsabre hilt w. Manipulate power, etc. : 2eP+1eA+2eF+2eB+2eD 2 advantage, 2 Light Side, 2 Dark Side
p-s-a.png p-a.png a-s.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds-ds.png b-a.png b--.png d-th.png d-f-f.png

Result ( using 2 LS pips for +1 Success and +1 Advantage, declining to use DS pips [had enough of that earlier!], +1 Advantage from JMT, +1 Advantage from personal Tool Kit): 1 Success, 5 Advantages.

Success. Personalised Design (3 Advantages) = +1 Success on successful LSa combat check when using this weapon, other users add +1 Threat when using this weapon. Disguised (2 Advantages) = +1 Setback for others to identify the hilt as a lightsabre hilt when it is not activated. Six hours. Cost = 100 credits.

Crafting the Training Emitter ...

Crafting: training emitter attachment (stun damage only), plus bonuses liste in OOC post : 2eP+1eA+2eF+2eB+2eD 1 success, 4 advantage, 1 Triumph, 2 Dark Side
p-s-s.png p-tr.png a-a-a.png f-ds.png f-ds.png b-a.png b-a-a.png d-th.png d-f-f.png

Result (declining to use the DS pips, +1 Advantage from JMT, +1 Advantage from personal Tool Kit): 1 Success, 6 Advantages, 1 Triumph.

Success. Training Emitter attachment crafted. Cost = 50 credits.

(The irony! I was hoping for a Triumph a lot earlier, on rolls where it could actually have done something useful.)

Final results on the lightsabre front ...

Vigdis now has two standard lightsabre hilts. She looks at the second one and realises that practice does indeed make better (if not perfect). She considers the situation, then spends some more time on swapping the attachments between the two lightsabre hilts. This means that her first hilt now contains the Training Emitter (and thus can only do Stun damage), and the second hilt now contains the Lorrdian sapphire (still fully modded!) and the Magnetic Weapon Tether (the second hilt is the one that's a bit difficult to identify when it's not activated). Both weapons have her personalised design.

Her plan is to use the training 'sabre until/unless the situation calls for lethal damage (or the need to use a Breach quality weapon).

Total spent so far: 2,800 cr. and 1 Conflict.

2,809 - 2,800 = 9 credits remaining .

Edited by Bellona

@Sincereagape

Let's start with a little D100 for starting cash (though misnoming it into Craft --- Check, while it obviously is not a skill check...).

Craft lightsaber hilt Mechanics check : 1d100 91

Not bad, so that would become 91 (rolled) + 500 (Starting cash) + 2250 (additional funds) = 2841 credits.

I would then have to get up to speed with the Endless Vigil crafting rules (have the book, just never got around to that section).

@April

15 minutes ago, April said:

the ship was attacked and he crashed on a rather “ out of the way” asteroid that he had to become rather savvy.. (and do things that a Jedi wouldn’t do, lie, cheat, steal) the droid isn’t evil ( though he’s based on a IG body frame )

he’s more like somebody who had to resort to dark methods to rescue the padawans who survived.

thinking of pilot /just generic smuggler

Things that a jedi wouldn't do... Qui-Gon Jinn did a little Move trick on a chance cube so as to win the boy and not his mother. Granted, he was not on the council despite being a master. 😉 From a certain point of view Obi-Wan told Luke the truth about his father being killed by Darth Vader. From a different point of view, he lied by implying Anakin and Darth Vader were two separate men. And he certainly kept silent on chopping off three of four of Anakin's limbs. 🤣 Both Qui-gon and his pupil Obi-Wan probably meant the best and had every form of undeniably Good will, but I would hardly call then "Lawful".

Your example given doesn't come off as evil, just very practical. Do what you must to save the organics. If the droid in the background section straight up murdered (helpless) targets, that would be evil. If he defended wounded padawans by setting his blaster to kill instead of stun when the enemy were trying to overrun their positions, that wouldn't be evil. Jedi kill in dire circumstances, so why wouldn't their droids in dire circumstances?

My initial response to you using the word "evil" in your post is simply to say that neither the GameMaster, nor I (and apparently @P-47 Thunderbolt too as he reacted as well) want some form of overt or covert Sith Murder Hobo Droid in a party of 'Good guys and gals'. Another example outside of Star Wars would be Book, from Firefly/Serenity. He is supposedly good, and when he shows up with a shotgun he is asked if the bible isn't clearly against killing. His anser that it is, however, "very fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps" still gets me every time. Makes me think of HK-47 from the KOTOR games, bluntly stating the obvious.

I wouldn't mind a droid that does what must be donefor the greater good (as long as the actions he takes aren't, indeed, evil.

@Sincereagape

This time, the Mechanics check to craft a standard Lightsaber hilt.

Craft lightsaber hilt Mechanics check : 1eA+2eP+2eD 2 successes
a-s-a.png p-a-a.png p-s-s.png d-th-th.png d-f-th.png

At least a success, without any upgrades, but also without any complications. I'll get back to you on the Kyber Crystal to be installed.

4 minutes ago, Xcapobl said:

Things that a jedi wouldn't do... Qui-Gon Jinn did a little Move trick on a chance cube so as to win the boy and not his mother. Granted, he was not on the council despite being a master. 😉 From a certain point of view Obi-Wan told Luke the truth about his father being killed by Darth Vader. From a different point of view, he lied by implying Anakin and Darth Vader were two separate men. And he certainly kept silent on chopping off three of four of Anakin's limbs. 🤣 Both Qui-gon and his pupil Obi-Wan probably meant the best and had every form of undeniably Good will, but I would hardly call then "Lawful".

Your example given doesn't come off as evil, just very practical. Do what you must to save the organics. If the droid in the background section straight up murdered (helpless) targets, that would be evil. If he defended wounded padawans by setting his blaster to kill instead of stun when the enemy were trying to overrun their positions, that wouldn't be evil. Jedi kill in dire circumstances, so why wouldn't their droids in dire circumstances?

My initial response to you using the word "evil" in your post is simply to say that neither the GameMaster, nor I (and apparently @P-47 Thunderbolt too as he reacted as well) want some form of overt or covert Sith Murder Hobo Droid in a party of 'Good guys and gals'. Another example outside of Star Wars would be Book, from Firefly/Serenity. He is supposedly good, and when he shows up with a shotgun he is asked if the bible isn't clearly against killing. His anser that it is, however, "very fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps" still gets me every time. Makes me think of HK-47 from the KOTOR games, bluntly stating the obvious.

I wouldn't mind a droid that does what must be donefor the greater good (as long as the actions he takes aren't, indeed, evil.

Both of those Jedi were outliers though. But I’m not sure if grey Jedi is cannon. But those and Kyle katarn would be considered such.

book was probably once very different.

a Jedi killing out of necessity, and a droid who had to revert to crime in order to save those under his care could be quite different.

to use a mythological analogy.. the green knight plagued sir Gwain for years, making him Dispair that he was going to be killed by any time by a seemly immortal unkillable foe, where as he was leading him to the very thing he searched for (the grail). Gwain was at times beaten, hounded, and probably thought the elf was quite evil.

the droid probably did kill a few people to save the poor padawans, and when he returned to the order, it’s quite possible he had a few warrants on his head. Maybe some wanted him decommissioned.. and so decided to keep his new found independent nature by running off until meeting one of the other players

1 minute ago, April said:

the droid probably did kill a few people to save the poor padawans, and when he returned to the order, it’s quite possible he had a few warrants on his head. Maybe some wanted him decommissioned.. and so decided to keep his new found independent nature by running off until meeting one of the other players

If the droid has a tendency to "do what needs to be done" that's different from having warrants out on him or being slated for decommissioning. If the droid is basically an active fugitive, that won't mesh well with my Sector Ranger.

37 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

If the droid has a tendency to "do what needs to be done" that's different from having warrants out on him or being slated for decommissioning. If the droid is basically an active fugitive, that won't mesh well with my Sector Ranger.

A corrupt group putting a bounty on his head, see I did want the droid to be anti hero themed but I can change it to he’s more grey if that would be better?

Just now, April said:

A corrupt group putting a bounty on his head, see I did want the droid to be anti hero themed but I can change it to he’s more grey if that would be better?

So it's an unjust bounty, maybe for petty reasons?

6 minutes ago, April said:

Depending on the offense, that would work much better. Prok would be motivated to protect the droid in that case, rather than having a motive to turn the droid in.

7 minutes ago, Bellona said:

So it's an unjust bounty, maybe for petty reasons?

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Depending on the offense, that would work much better. Prok would be motivated to protect the droid in that case, rather than having a motive to turn the droid in.

Basically the idea was he got the bounty after stabbing a guys hand into a table ( long story short had to play pazzak to get one of the kids back ) guy was cheating. Took the shortest route to saving the padawan.

the droid basically just seriously crippled a crime gang, had to do some petty crimes, theft, arson and at one point he had to kill one of them. On said gang to rescue all 5 survivors.

2 minutes ago, April said:

the droid basically just seriously crippled a crime gang, had to do some petty crimes, theft, arson and at one point he had to kill one of them. On said gang to rescue all 5 survivors.

Just don't give Prok all the details, and he'll probably be okay with that.

Okay, the basic information for Vigdis is down on SWSheets: https://swsheets.com/c/qecjgasnr-vigdis----

(The family name could be still in the air, depending on what @Edgehawk and I agree upon regarding background stories.)

MediaFire links to PDF character sheets (from Oggdude's program) with complete details re talents, powers, trees, etc. ...

Long version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ejlrmm6qh21xuv3/Vigdis_Andasca_%28long_version%29.pdf/file

Short (yet still informative) version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5jotm5vays4rff9/Vigdis_Andasca.pdf/file

Time to start modding the Dantari Crystal.

Mod 1:

Dantari Crystol Mod 1 (decrease Crit) : 1eA+2eP+2eF+3eD 1 threat, 1 Triumph, 4 Light Side
a-a-a.png p-tr.png p-s.png f-ls-ls.png f-ls-ls.png d-f-th.png d-f-th.png d-th.png

Spending 100 credits and rolling the result above, I guess that's 4 total successes (4 Light Side Force Points). Critical Rating of 1 achieved.

Mod 2:

Dantari Crystal Mod 2 (damage +1) : 1eA+2eP+2eF+4eD 2 successes, 2 threat, 1 Triumph, 3 Dark Side
a-s-s.png p-s-a.png p-tr.png f-ds-ds.png f-ds.png d-th.png d--.png d-f-f.png d-th-th.png

Spending 200 credits, increasing difficulty by 1, and rolling the result above, I guess that's 2 total successes (1 triumph, 1 regular). Damage +1 (now 8 base) achieved.

Mod 3:

Dantari Crystal Mod 3 (damage +1 again) : 1eA+2eP+2eF+5eD 1 failure, 5 threat, 2 Light Side, 1 Dark Side
a--.png p-a-a.png p--.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds.png d-th-th.png d-th-th.png d-f-th.png d-th.png d-th.png

Spending 300 credits, increasing difficulty by another 1, and rolling the result above, I guess that's 1 total success (1 failure offset by 2 successes from the Light Side Force Points). Damage +1 (now 9 base) achieved.

Installing the Crystal into the custom hilt.

Installing Crystal attachment in Hilt. : 1eA+2eP+3eD 2 successes, 3 threat
a-s.png p-s-s.png p-s.png d-th.png d-f-f.png d-th-th.png

And with those 2 successes, Savah's custom Dantari lightsaber with blue blade is complete, with a fully modded crystal.

b80a84be369b0f3a47c04476735a9b9d.jpg

Edited by Xcapobl
Adjusted the math in the number of successes, even if the outcomes weren't changed

I'm not playing, but I wanted to chime in. You may want to check your results again. The die roller accounts for the successes attached to Triumphs; you don't add those back in. It doesn't matter here since that wouldn't drop any of your checks into a failure, but it's something to keep in mind.

I will be on and off over the next few days. Tomorrow is my son's birthday and we are in the process of putting down an offer for a house (Low interest rates + first time buyers)!

Last night I edited the original post with updated information. Minor changes to group resources and base of operations. Along with an update on the character roster.

To answer @Bellona questions in a previous post..

1. The group is composed of Jedi Knights who have a few missions under their belts.

2. One of the prisoners on Devaron escaped their captivity and managed to send an emergency distress signal to the Jedi.

3. The Force User characters are based out of Coruscant and wil eventually assist with the formation of a new Jedi Outpost in the Outer Rim (See original post).

If there are any other questions I missed please forgive me. Best way to reach me at the moment is through PM to get my attention. The game is moving fast and I usually don't have prolonged time periods to catch up on the thread (I see posts for a moment during the day and check periodically). Thank you for your interest.

15 minutes ago, Sincereagape said:

Tomorrow is my son's birthday and we are in the process of putting down an offer for a house (Low interest rates + first time buyers)!

Congratulations!

Likewise congratulations from me!

23 hours ago, rogue_09 said:

I'm not playing, but I wanted to chime in. You may want to check your results again. The die roller accounts for the successes attached to Triumphs; you don't add those back in. It doesn't matter here since that wouldn't drop any of your checks into a failure, but it's something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the input

Simple miscalculation. No harm done. @Xcapobl just make the proper adjustments.

Did that right away after thanking @rogue_09 .

On 3/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, Sincereagape said:

233 BBY

Huh, I missed that first time through. I thought that the High Republic was circa 400 BBY, which would make the PB-950 a tad too young as I mentioned, but apparently not. That works out pretty well then, as the PB-950 has been in circulation for at least about 50 years at this point (though this particular PB-950 may not have been).

Question 1: Is there anything else I need to do for Prok Espio?
Question 2: Is there anything else I need to do in general?
Question 3: Who gets naming honors for the (good grief, I keep wanting to say PBY Catalina) PB-950? It is technically probably Prok's ship, given his position as a Sector Ranger, though its "name" might be a simple alpha-numeric sequence, prompting the Jedi to give it a cute name, because they seem to like that sort of thing.

6 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Huh, I missed that first time through. I thought that the High Republic was circa 400 BBY, which would make the PB-950 a tad too young as I mentioned, but apparently not. That works out pretty well then, as the PB-950 has been in circulation for at least about 50 years at this point (though this particular PB-950 may not have been).

Question 1: Is there anything else I need to do for Prok Espio?
Question 2: Is there anything else I need to do in general?
Question 3: Who gets naming honors for the (good grief, I keep wanting to say PBY Catalina) PB-950? It is technically probably Prok's ship, given his position as a Sector Ranger, though its "name" might be a simple alpha-numeric sequence, prompting the Jedi to give it a cute name, because they seem to like that sort of thing.

The Great Disaster is set for 232BBY. Upon further research, I wanted to set the date of the campaign a year before the Great Disaster.

1.) Not that I know of. The character looks good from my skim of it

2.) No. I'll let you know. Maybe you can try and collaborate with one of the other players to see if there can be a developed history in order to smooth the transition for Prok to join the Jedi on the case? I am in the process of developing the OOC post for the official game with information regarding case of characters and then once characters are approved they will be posted on that thread.

3.) Maybe collaborate with @April Last time I spoke to April they are in the process of making a Hutt Sentinel Racer "School Bus Driver". Who has an innate ability of the Force but is not fully aware that he/she is force sensitive?

They are the one's to collaborate with if anything!

Been a busy week. But I hope to get the OOC thread up by the end of the week latest and then from there maybe first IC post early next week.

A good day to have all characters submitted and approved would be this coming Sunday, 3/22/20.

@Edgehawk

Do you have room in your backstory for a cousin (or sibling) named Vigdis Andasca who was a genetic disappointment to the family, and whom they were therefore eager to give to the Jedi when it turned out that she was Force sensitive?

Link to SWSheets version: https://swsheets.com/c/qecjgasnr-vigdis-andasca

I'm picturing Vigdis as being no more than 25. How old is Astrid Andasca?

Hey, @Bellona !

Sure! Astrid is late twenties, so a bit older, and is of pure genetic descent. Tends toward aloofness, but perhaps closeness in age and force sensitivity brought them together?

Astrid is not hung up on the genetics thing, and is a bit of a black sheep in the family, too. Always reading stories or off finding her own adventures (scandalous)! She positively refused to study medicine, so they were not sorry to see her go with the Jedi.

9 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Hey, @Bellona !

Sure! Astrid is late twenties, so a bit older, and is of pure genetic descent. Tends toward aloofness, but perhaps closeness in age and force sensitivity brought them together?

Astrid is not hung up on the genetics thing, and is a bit of a black sheep in the family, too. Always reading stories or off finding her own adventures (scandalous)! She positively refused to study medicine, so they were not sorry to see her go with the Jedi.

Let's go with cousins then. Vigdis was shipped off to the Jedi as an infant. What about Astrid?