The Celestial Realms - New RPG Sourcebook

By sndwurks, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

5 hours ago, Myrion said:

Latest info is still that they're planning on a US street date of August 28th.

I’m assuming this date doesn’t mean for PDF as well, right?

No, those are as always some months later...

Hoping EDGE can deliver that QoL to me for later releases. It's absolute shenanigans, especially in our current situation. But w/e FFG doesn't want my money until a month later, they don't get it.

8 hours ago, Myrion said:

No, those are as always some months later...

Although the 'taster/booster' .pdf adventure is usually at the original release.

Given the subject matter of the new adventure I'll be fascinated to see what they pick....

6 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Hoping EDGE can deliver that QoL to me for later releases. It's absolute shenanigans, especially in our current situation. But w/e FFG doesn't want my money until a month later, they don't get it.

This isn't an especially unusual policy. Normally it's to do with helping out FLGS - a certain proportion of people won't buy the hardcopy if they can get the PDF on the same day. Given some of the shenanigans that have happened (direct order exclusives, I'm looking at you) I like that they're doing something for my local game store.

57 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

This isn't an especially unusual policy. Normally it's to do with helping out FLGS - a certain proportion of people won't buy the hardcopy if they can get the PDF on the same day. Given some of the shenanigans that have happened (direct order exclusives, I'm looking at you) I like that they're doing something for my local game store.

Meh, like I said, they don't want my money, they don't get my money. I've never been shy that I am at least one vocal customer who will not pay extra for a hard copy of a book if I don't have to, since that's basically a luxury cost. I'm hoping with EDGE just being the RPGs maybe we can close this window a little. I don't mind a bit extra so we can maybe catch print errors, but the 4-5 weeks is incredibly frustrating.

I get it's cool people want to support your stores, but that's between you and your store. I have never needed, wanted or used a brick and mortar store as a source for my RPG supplies, and have run probably 99% of games digitally for over 10 years, so it's a lot of smoke to me.

The thing is that even wanting to support my FLGS, FFG made that hard. I know I'm not the only one who basically cannot get physical product through my local stores, since they have a hard time ordering it.

The most reliable way to get it for me is going direct to FFG. (and paying outrageous shipping) So this delay is just a pain and doesn't help anyone at all in the first place.

I wish they would do what evil hat would do. If you by the print book you can get the pdf for a significant discount even if you bought it from your flgs.

They could do a print+pdf bundle very easily on their site.

That would indeed be nice and save me a bunch of money, but it doesn't solve the availability of physical books issue nor the delay on PDFs.

12 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I wish they would do what evil hat would do. If you by the print book you can get the pdf for a significant discount even if you bought it from your flgs.

They could do a print+pdf bundle very easily on their site.

I think Modeiphus did something like that as well for their Star Trek products. At least for a time; if you got a hard copy and the store registered it, then you could get a digital copy free.

Just now, neilcell said:

I think Modeiphus did something like that as well for their Star Trek products. At least for a time; if you got a hard copy and the store registered it, then you could get a digital copy free.

yeah It is a good plan and squashes pirating

7 hours ago, neilcell said:

It is - or was - a fairly widespread scheme called "Bits and Mortar" - I think it was Drivethru that sponsored it?

23 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

I don't mind a bit extra so we can maybe catch print errors, but the 4-5 weeks is incredibly frustrating.

I'd wait if it meant we got FAQs and Errata a month after release, and got the changes in the book. Given how long we seem to wait for errata I'm not sure that's a realistic hope, though.

Yeah; but Modiphius releases pdfs first. If you buy the pdf, they give you that money as credit towards the hard copy when it releases. The only "catch" is that you need to order directly from them and shipping is high. So, if you are in the US , it still may be cheaper to order hard copies online from someone like Game Nerdz, which sells them for 25% off list price.

49 minutes ago, Masakiyo said:

Yeah; but Modiphius releases pdfs first. If you buy the pdf, they give you that money as credit towards the hard copy when it releases. The only "catch" is that you need to order directly from them and shipping is high. So, if you are in the US , it still may be cheaper to order hard copies online from someone like Game Nerdz, which sells them for 25% off list price.

And now you know why I dislike the 'order from us' exclusives that FFG do - you'd end up paying more for shipping than the products themself.

Yeah, because you're in UK; at least for now...And over here it's usually way more expensive to buy physical books from local stores rather than web-based. Because you pay full price, plus tax whereas online it's usually cheaper and you often get free shipping and no tax. For Celestial Realms & Wheel of Judgment I saved about $15 ordering physical copies online.

My FLGS has Wheel of Judgement (and the Sukune novella) on next week's release sheet, but not Celestial Realms. They're checking to see what's up with that.

11 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

My FLGS has Wheel of Judgement (and the Sukune novella) on next week's release sheet, but not Celestial Realms. They're checking to see what's up with that.

I just got my shipping soon notification for both the adventure and sourcebook. So that tells me next friday is release day.

I might be getting Wheels of Judgement tomorrow.

Mine were pre-ordered in June but still list as awaiting fulfillment. So I'm guessing a couple weeks yet.

6 hours ago, Masakiyo said:

Mine were pre-ordered in June but still list as awaiting fulfillment. So I'm guessing a couple weeks yet.

I got shipping soon notice friday. I am guessing shipping tomorrow for thursday friday release.

11 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I got shipping soon notice friday. I am guessing shipping tomorrow for thursday friday release.

got my preorder for both processed this morning so I expect I will be getting a shipping notice today

I preordered Celestial Realms pretty late tbh.. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed the boat. My main two preorder choices have, so far, never let me down but I did leave it late this time. Hopefully, my choice ordered extra copies for late idiots like me! 😁

Edited by DidntFallAsleep66

Still nothing on my pre-order

...Begins staring at DrivethruRPG in a menacing fashion.

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

...Begins staring at DrivethruRPG in a menacing fashion.

You're going to strain your eyes doing that for weeks.