The Celestial Realms - New RPG Sourcebook

By sndwurks, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

1 minute ago, Sharatec said:

As I wrote, I hope they don't become a Great Clan. Didn't like it in earlier editions, don't think I'd like it now.

Does the Mantis school curricula have mistakes not mentioned in Errata?

Ah ok. Well... No clue if they will become a great clan, but I'd say it is.. possible? We will have to see how the story unfolds!

The mistake in the curriculum is about technique redundancies. Somewhat an easy fix. It is just mind boggling it was never done, especially considering it is a PDF and not in print format.

1 minute ago, Avatar111 said:

Ah ok. Well... No clue if they will become a great clan, but I'd say it is.. possible? We will have to see how the story unfolds!

The mistake in the curriculum is about technique redundancies. Somewhat an easy fix. It is just mind boggling it was never done, especially considering it is a PDF and not in print format.

Thanks! I'll have to read through the tables and check.

Awesome that they still seem to be sticking with the sourcebook-and-adventure format, too.

I love the idea for Wheel of Judgement , too. It's a great final adventure for a campaign, when you think about it.

"So...severity fifteen takes you down too...I guess that's a TPK."

"Blech. Well, any preferences for the next campaign?"

"What do you mean? I'll see you all next week for the next session..."

"Aren't we dead?"

"Why should that matter?"

I am so happy.

20 hours ago, sndwurks said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/2/24/celestial-realms/

Featuring:

• Information on the Spirit Realms
  • Information on the Centipede Clan
  • Information on the Phoenix Clan
  • Phoenix Clan Ishiken School, along with new Techniques called inversions
  • Stats on all the Ancestral Swords of the Great Clans

I am so excited for this supplement! For a game in which supernatural elements are overlayed on the everyday material world, this is what I've been waiting for to enhance my campaign. I might be greedy, but now the only thing on my wish list is a full treatment for mass combat!

20 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

Ah ok. Well... No clue if they will become a great clan, but I'd say it is.. possible?

No, it isn't.

The Mantis somehow becoming a Great Clan was always a mistake (and a violation of the concept of a Great Clan).

9 hours ago, T_Kageyasu said:

I am so excited for this supplement! For a game in which supernatural elements are overlayed on the everyday material world, this is what I've been waiting for to enhance my campaign. I might be greedy, but now the only thing on my wish list is a full treatment for mass combat!

I'd be counting on that being the Lion Clan book, presuming we get there. Seems like it would fit there best.

2 hours ago, Tenebrae said:

No, it isn't.

The Mantis somehow becoming a Great Clan was always a mistake (and a violation of the concept of a Great Clan).

I've always argued that were I the other great clans, the Mantis would have been destroyed to the last member after the war against Fu Leng. Holding the Empire hostage is inexcusable.

11 minutes ago, BearJuden113 said:

I've always argued that were I the other great clans, the Mantis would have been destroyed to the last member after the war against Fu Leng. Holding the Empire hostage is inexcusable.

These stories are what make, and change, an Empire. Violations are exactly what this is all about, same as Isawa not kneeling down.

I'm really not advocating for the Mantis to be a great clan, I honestly leave that to the writers!

But sometimes, the victor writes history. I can see many cases that can make the Mantis a force as important as any other great clan. It all depends what Hentei wants, or is forced to do. Especially considering the Mantis deal with faraway Gaijins who might or might not have... cannons!!!

I'm basically just leaving the door open to the possibility (from a spectator standpoint). You guys are way too traditionalist in an era of upheaval. :D

Nothing is stuck in time, especially not a Living Story.

Edited by Avatar111
19 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Awesome that they still seem to be sticking with the sourcebook-and-adventure format, too.

I love the idea for Wheel of Judgement , too. It's a great final adventure for a campaign, when you think about it.

"So...severity fifteen takes you down too...I guess that's a TPK."

"Blech. Well, any preferences for the next campaign?"

"What do you mean? I'll see you all next week for the next session..."

"Aren't we dead?"

"Why should that matter?"

Indeed. A nice little nugget to hold in reserve should the planned campaign go south.

"Death is only the beginning".

4 hours ago, neilcell said:

"Death is only the beginning".

Heh. The Mummy (the Brendon Fraser one) is probably my Wife's single favourite film*.

The number of times as the GM I get variations on "you must not read from the book!!" yelled at me...

* I know the quote was reused in Sherlock Homes so apologies if you were mentally typing that in Mark Strong's voice.

I was expecting a Dragon Clan book with info on the Lying Darkness. Next time then :)

It is a pleasure to see Ishiken do coming back and the adventure of deceased PC is original, I hope we will have some info on the Yobanjin tribes given the Kaito origins : 3

I thought that they had said they were going to cut out that nonsense with Asmodée Store exclusive stuff that undercuts FLGS?

On 5/22/2020 at 12:30 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

I thought that they had said they were going to cut out that nonsense with Asmodée Store exclusive stuff that undercuts FLGS?

Probably the same way EDGE will take over publishing - it'll stop... eventually.

New Francisca Baerald map! 😁

Is this book still going to be published?

As far as I know, yes. I think this, along with the adventure along with it are the last ones to be published by FFG and then it would be off to EDGE.

Slated for August, but I hope that they surprise us and get it out sooner than that.

I had heard rumours that there might be another book after Celestial Realms as well, before Edge takes over.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

I had heard rumours that there might be another book after Celestial Realms as well, before Edge takes over.

What do you mean ? Wasn't there a clarification about the licence staying within FFG but production of content just being outsourced ?

28 minutes ago, Soktine said:

What do you mean ? Wasn't there a clarification about the licence staying within FFG but production of content just being outsourced ?

I believe now that Fantasy Flight is a subsidiary of Asmodee, it's Asmodee that owns the license, and they're moving RPG development to a different subsidiary, Edge, while FFG continues focusing on card and miniature games.

EDIT: So FFG will keep working on the LCG and probably the fiction (not sure entirely). If they do any more games with the license not tied to the RPG, like another board game or a miniature game, FFG may handle that as well.

Edited by Swordbreaker

I had understood the same thing @Swordbreaker posted.

19 hours ago, Soktine said:

Way back when the first announcement about FFG stopping doing RPGs came out, various people made comments about not worrying, and also that they would release what they were already most of the way through. I forget where it was but one comment was that Magic was next, then War. AKA Phoenix and Lion for people who were making guesses.

Now, since then Edge has got involved, but FFG have announced Celestial Realms, which is a book with Magic and Phoenix in it. But with everything else that has gone on, that could mean absolutely nothing!

Edge is the editor of L5R in France, but French edition are late they never finished either 3rd an 4th edition. I do not really trust them.

As far as I am concerned, with that much unfinished word I don't think I'll follow an eventual reset of the 5th edition or a 6th one from Edge. But I am just speculating, I will wait and see.