Can we get an off topic subforum?

By Tris87TJ, in Star Wars: Legion

See the problem isn't with any of the stuff you guys talked about because it's all legion related. I'm talking about the posts with Toys, images, etc from the movies, comics and shows that aren't legion related. I'm honestly less engaged in these forums because sometimes there's sometimes more none legion stuff in the top dozen posts then stuff that has to do with the game. There's reddit/starwars and a dozen other places for that content and most of the people visiting the ffg star wars legion forums most likely aren't coming here for that. It's not like we're saying that stuff can't be posted or shouldn't be allowed, just posted on a sub forum where people can still visit, post and comment on it.

42 minutes ago, Tris87TJ said:

See the problem isn't with any of the stuff you guys talked about because it's all legion related. I'm talking about the posts with Toys, images, etc from the movies, comics and shows that aren't legion related. I'm honestly less engaged in these forums because sometimes there's sometimes more none legion stuff in the top dozen posts then stuff that has to do with the game. There's reddit/starwars and a dozen other places for that content and most of the people visiting the ffg star wars legion forums most likely aren't coming here for that. It's not like we're saying that stuff can't be posted or shouldn't be allowed, just posted on a sub forum where people can still visit, post and comment on it.

But again, the argument "it's not Legion related" isn't enough, because that's an opinon that is not universally shared. If the argument is that off-topic things shouldn't be in General, then it doesn't matter whether you personally think one thing or the other is or isn't "Legion related" - there are subforums already there who's topics cover all of the things that people who want an OT forum claim they want to see discussed, so by your own logic those things should be discussed in those forums.

This is what you guys don't seem to get, you're not arguing for an OT forum, you're arguing that the General forum has no purpose.

Or, alternatively, everybody can read the topics they find interesting, ignore the ones they don't, and there's no problem. Crikey even with all the supposedly "off topic" threads it's not like things move particularly rapidly in Legion General, people are complaining about having to skimread past like, five threads, it's not like you're having to go hunting on page 10 or whatever.

@Lomiat Could be worth looking into?

You also have to take in account of how many on this forum are just casual players who just like star wars (like me)? I enjoy seeing the OT posts in the general forum, and I'll read those more than the number-crunching and statistical data of how an upgrade can perform on the eve of first harvest and the moon is waxing... it's a freaking game with plastic toys lol!

Don't get me wrong, I do like reading on unit speculations, how units are played and game strategies, but all the posts with all the mathematical probabilities are not the most entertaining things to read and the OT posts help balance that.

9 minutes ago, Kardek said:

You also have to take in account of how many on this forum are just casual players who just like star wars (like me)? I enjoy seeing the OT posts in the general forum, and I'll read those more than the number-crunching and statistical data of how an upgrade can perform on the eve of first harvest and the moon is waxing... it's a freaking game with plastic toys lol!

Don't get me wrong, I do like reading on unit speculations, how units are played and game strategies, but all the posts with all the mathematical probabilities are not the most entertaining things to read and the OT posts help balance that.

I second this.

As a follow up to my previous post, there are currently 124 pages of posts in the General Forum. If the non-Legion related articles were moved to an Off Topic forum then some of the articles that fall off the first page would still be showing up, which might increase the likelihood of further conversation on those topics.

The X-Wing forum is plenty busy even with an Off Topic sub-forum, although the argument could be made that X-Wing has a larger player base than Legion.

Something else to point out, there is a Legion Discord for those that prefer that medium. I am not personally a fan but that is probably just my "Gen-X" showing.

36 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

So basically all of @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun 's posts?

As much as I love @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun 's posts :wub: , as he's literally my main source for non-game Star Wars related news, yeah , they belong in an off-topic forum and not in the general game forum.

But if we remove the "off topics" from the main page it will remains only the topics containing complaints about delays, missing parts, and official articles re-posts. 😉

Maybe we can simple add tags within threads name to recognize more easily the off topics

The general forum should be for general FFG Star Wars Legion discussion. An Off Topic forum would be for off topic Star Wars discussion. It's silly how difficult some are making this concept. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'd be more likely to spend more time here if it did.

9 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I love democracy

3 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I love democracy

13 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

The general forum should be for general FFG Star Wars Legion discussion. An Off Topic forum would be for off topic Star Wars discussion. It's silly how difficult some are making this concept. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'd be more likely to spend more time here if it did.

Very little falls under general Legion discussion that isn't better suited to one of the subforums. I never read any of the number crunching threads but I don't ask they all be moved to a Rules/Army Building subforum.

This is not the forum you are looking for

2 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Very little falls under general Legion discussion that isn't better suited to one of the subforums. I never read any of the number crunching threads but I don't ask they all be moved to a Rules/Army Building subforum.

If you look through the current topics on the first page of the General forum, you'll see threads about FFG articles, new Legion related Podcast postings, discussion about specific Clone Legions, questions about missing items, how to use specific units, and even this one, which is still Legion (forum) related.

10 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

If you look through the current topics on the first page of the General forum, you'll see threads about FFG articles, new Legion related Podcast postings, discussion about specific Clone Legions, questions about missing items, how to use specific units, and even this one, which is still Legion (forum) related.

Most of the podcasts are about rules or organized play. Most of the article discussions, are rules discussions.

5 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Most of the podcasts are about rules or organized play. Most of the article discussions, are rules discussions.

You know the Lebowski quote, I'm sure.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:48 AM, NeonWolf said:

As a follow up to my previous post, there are currently 124 pages of posts in the General Forum. If the non-Legion related articles were moved to an Off Topic forum then some of the articles that fall off the first page would still be showing up, which might increase the likelihood of further conversation on those topics.

The oldest thread on the first page hasn't been touched in more than a week. Seriously doubt any discussion is being lost here due to off-topic stuff.

Just now, Bobmc said:

The oldest thread on the first page hasn't been touched in more than a week. Seriously doubt any discussion is being lost here due to off-topic stuff.

*shrug* I did say "might". I still haven't seen anyone try to argue with the fact that the 8 posts I listed above have anything to do with Legion.

2 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

*shrug* I did say "might". I still haven't seen anyone try to argue with the fact that the 8 posts I listed above have anything to do with Legion.

Legion is a Star Wars game my dude

Just now, Bobmc said:

Legion is a Star Wars game my dude

Correct, but not everything Star Wars is Legion related. Otherwise lets just make a "Star Wars" forum under the FFG/Miniatures forum and we can go mingle with the X-Wing and Armada folks. 🙂

Legion and X-wing players coming together to mock the Armada players sounds like good times to me

On 2/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, TauntaunScout said:

Then ignore the posts that aren’t about rules.

That's the ticket!

Man I didnt know I could choose to read what articles are posted!

FREEEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!