Can we get an off topic subforum?

By Tris87TJ, in Star Wars: Legion

X-wing has one and it'd be a nice way to sort out what is and isn't legion related on here.

No

Yes please. I come here to look at Legion discussion, not general Star Wars gossip.

Voting for this as well. The forum is packed with non-legion posts.

Posts like this belong in an off-topic forum

1 minute ago, TheHoosh said:

Exactly, which is why we should have one

4 minutes ago, TheHoosh said:

And if we had an off-topic forum that's where it would go...

I don't think you realize that was my vote for such a forum also I find your lack of humor disturbing

X-wing has one, but that doesn't stop non X-wing Star Wars posts from showing up in the main forum.

To be honest, for this post to see results, FFG would have to actually read their own forums, which doesn't really seem to be the case, given how long some flame wars are allowed to fester before reported posts are actually investigated. Given how many forums there are, not super surprising. It's a lot of forum for what is likely a small mod team.

Plus, the "General" posting area of the game is kind of the catch-all, and having sub-sections doesn't guarantee people will actually use them. That would require more of a mod presence than is there, actually enforcing the use of sub-forums. There's still quite a few rules questions that pop up in the main area despite having a "Rules" sub-forum.

18 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

To be honest, for this post to see results, FFG would have to actually read their own forums, which doesn't really seem to be the case, given how long some flame wars are allowed to fester before reported posts are actually investigated. Given how many forums there are, not super surprising. It's a lot of forum for what is likely a small mod team.

Plus, the "General" posting area of the game is kind of the catch-all, and having sub-sections doesn't guarantee people will actually use them. That would require more of a mod presence than is there, actually enforcing the use of sub-forums. There's still quite a few rules questions that pop up in the main area despite having a "Rules" sub-forum.

I for one volunteer to be a mod for the limited section of just Legion. I promise to rule with a benevolent but iron fist. :)

Edited by ScummyRebel

Please no. The off topic forums of various websites has destroyed whole communities. A few tangential posts are way healthier.

4 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Please no. The off topic forums of various websites has destroyed whole communities. A few tangential posts are way healthier.

Agreed. Also, people are acting like the "off topic" posts are somehow pushing out "real" Legion discussion - erm, sorry chaps, the reality is the "off topic" discussions are happening because otherwise the forum was pretty dead.

Further, while I get that for a lot of FFG-game folk it's the rules and the mechanics that are the "real" topic for discussion, plenty of us are only here and buying the models because they're Star Wars. Whisper it, but some don't even play Legion at all, they collect the models for the sake of it, or for use with the WEG D6 rules or some other game. For that segment of the community - and they're part of it, regardless of what event-circuit types think - Star Wars as a whole is very much "on topic" for Legion.

11 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Not going to destroy a community if no one reads them. Honestly the worst part of this forum is all of the junk (my sentiments, not necessarily the same for others) about TV Shows, Movies, etc. I come here to discuss and learn about legion not the chaff. If I want to read/discuss that, I'm sure I can find a place which would cater to those topics.

11 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Agreed. Off-topic subforums seem to be "wretched hives of scum and villainy" on many forums.

Just now, Sharkbelly said:

Agreed. Off-topic subforums seem to be "wretched hives of scum and villainy" on many forums.

Then name it "Non Legion Star Wars Info" and it can only be for Star Wars stuff not related to legion. Honestly I haven't read the Painting or Terrain Building sub forums here, but I love the ability to click "Read All" and clear them out. I think most folks would love that same ability for stuff that is not Legion.

Is almost all Star Wars information (at least that which pertains to infantry and/or warfare) innately related to Legion? At least in the "potential future unit" sense?

My vote is for an off topic sub forum. I stopped reading the legion forums as much because I'm zero percent interested in the loads of threads about TV shows, movies, jokes/memes that have nothing to do with the game.

4 hours ago, Mokoshkana said:

Not going to destroy a community if no one reads them. Honestly the worst part of this forum is all of the junk (my sentiments, not necessarily the same for others) about TV Shows, Movies, etc. I come here to discuss and learn about legion not the chaff. If I want to read/discuss that, I'm sure I can find a place which would cater to those topics.

Then ignore the posts that aren’t about rules.

Edited by TauntaunScout
1 hour ago, AldousSnow said:

My vote is for an off topic sub forum. I stopped reading the legion forums as much because I'm zero percent interested in the loads of threads about TV shows, movies, jokes/memes that have nothing to do with the game.

That is fair, but moving those topics to a subforum won't create more content directly focused on Legion. There will simply be fewer posts in the general discussion area.

14 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

That is fair, but moving those topics to a subforum won't create more content directly focused on Legion. There will simply be fewer posts in the general discussion area.

And, virtually everything that is "on topic" in the general discussion area, really does belong in one of the subforums if we're going to get strict about things. Homebrew characters and missions are about the only thing that comes up often which doesn't fit into one of the following:

• Share your army builds, ask for pointers, and offer your advice on units, upgrades, and command cards.
  • Share the details of your battles with other members of the Star Wars: Legion community.
  • Share the details of local events and your experiences with Star Wars: Legion Organized Play.
  • Share photos of your painted miniatures, be inspired by your peers, and learn new tips from other members of the community.
  • Your place to discuss the finer points of the rules and to ask the community for answers to your rules questions.
  • A place to discuss your terrain for the galaxy's greatest infantry battles

Maybe stat-crunching the relative efficiency of various units doesn't fit into any of the above, though some might say it falls under "offer your advice on units upgrades, and command cards" or "discuss the finer points of the rules". Gossiping about upcoming units too maybe would fall under General Discussion?

Edited by TauntaunScout
23 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

X-wing has one, but that doesn't stop non X-wing Star Wars posts from showing up in the main forum.

I've seen posts moved from the X-wing general forum to the off-topic.

As well, there are topics that start life in off-topic fairly regularly.

It demonstrably helps. Just because it doesn't catch 100% of the off-topic content doesn't mean its not a worthwhile forum to have.

10 hours ago, Lochlan said:

Fantastic. I'm not really looking for quantity. I'm looking for quality, and not having to weed through non Legion material. You have made me want it more now.

4 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

Fantastic. I'm not really looking for quantity. I'm looking for quality, and not having to weed through non Legion material. You have made me want it more now.

Your problem is that, self-evidently, plenty of folk don't agree that those discussions are off-topic, and I'd wager and even larger chunk of the forum populace don't care either way.

I'd also be interested to see you and other proponents of an OT forum actually address Tauntaun Scout's post there - pretty much all the main topics of discussion that directly and unequivocally relate to Legion the game system already have their own dedicated forums, with fully on-topic content in them, so A; why are you not just in those, and B; assuming all the "OT" material(ie, not just what you aren't interested in reading, but everything that by rights would fit into one of the existing subforums) was excised from General, what exactly is it you think we're going to be discussing here other than new release threads once a month?