Tales from the Fringe Anthology OOC

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Just now, RuusMarev said:

Will you be jumping directly to Vicsil, or will you do a short jump and send one ship home, then continue?

Hmm... that's a good point.

There are pros and cons to both approaches and I can make a case for either, so @Bellona what do you think?

We shouldn't be deprived of any personnel since Cin can slave rig it (right Ruus?), but we could probably part with either of the droids if need be.

I'd be inclined to hang onto the Lambda and send the other one back to Dathomir. Stars know, they need a working starship! :)

As for the droids ... hmmm. Would it take too much time to actually take the second ship home, so that we get to keep both droids?

5 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Hmm... that's a good point.

There are pros and cons to both approaches and I can make a case for either, so @Bellona what do you think?

We shouldn't be deprived of any personnel since Cin can slave rig it (right Ruus?), but we could probably part with either of the droids if need be.

Just now, Bellona said:

I'd be inclined to hang onto the Lambda and send the other one back to Dathomir. Stars know, they need a working starship! :)

As for the droids ... hmmm. Would it take too much time to actually take the second ship home, so that we get to keep both droids?

C1-N8 can program a course and landing. (or park it in orbit)

As you head out, the nearest Gozanti will transmit a security challenge, the proper response codes are in the bundle that C1-N8 has.

7 minutes ago, Bellona said:

I think the Decimator is a better choice. It's got 3 less handling, but better HTT, SST, and weapons. It's also a more comfortable ship, for what that's worth.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I think the Decimator is a better choice. It's got 3 less handling, but better HTT, SST, and weapons. It's also a more comfortable ship, for what that's worth.

No way can a Decimator be roomier/more comfortable than a Lambda ...

Decimator: Crew 4, Passengers 6, Encumbrance 60, Consumables 1 month, Remaining unused hard point 1

Lambda: Crew 6, Passengers 20, Encumbrance 200, Consumables 2 months, Remaining unused hard points 2

With 4 PCs and 2 droids, we can crew the Lambda properly.

However, I will grant you that the Decimator has slightly better defences and weapons. Is that worth giving up the inside space and extra hard point, not to mention dealing with the lower handling value?

Maybe the question should be: which shuttle is (potentially) sneakier?

With the better handling, I would think that the Lambda is sneakier. And the 2 empty hard points could be used to improve its sneakiness, defences, or weapons.

Just now, Bellona said:

It's almost twice as large, rooms fewer people, and spends less of its space on wings.

1 minute ago, Bellona said:

Decimator: Crew 4, Passengers 6, Encumbrance 60, Consumables 1 month, Remaining unused hard point 1

Lambda: Crew 6, Passengers 20, Encumbrance 200, Consumables 2 months, Remaining unused hard points 2

With 4 PCs and 2 droids, we can crew the Lambda properly.

However, I will grant you that the Decimator has slightly better defences and weapons. Is that worth giving up the inside space and extra hard point, not to mention dealing with the lower handling value?

Maybe the question should be: which shuttle is (potentially) sneakier?

With the better handling, I would think that the Lambda is sneakier. And the 2 empty hard points could be used to improve its sneakiness, defences, or weapons.

A Decimator is far larger than a Lambda. And we don't have a use for the HP yet.

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

It's almost twice as large, rooms fewer people, and spends less of its space on wings.

A Decimator is far larger than a Lambda. And we don't have a use for the HP yet.

Maybe the Decimator is larger on the outside, but the statistics make the Lambda larger with regard to usable space on the inside.

Just now, Bellona said:

Maybe the Decimator is larger on the outside, but the statistics make the Lambda larger with regard to usable space on the inside.

The Decimator actually has living space, whereas the Lambda is a shuttle, not intended for long space travel. Comparable to the Sheathipede shuttle.

Here are the maps of both for comparison:

vt_49_decimator___deck_plan_by_ravendeviant_dc0qiee-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMzQ0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjU3ODExYzMtOTM5ZC00ZDFlLThmYTUtZDFhZGJmOTk5NDIwXC9kYzBxaWVlLWNhMTVhYTcxLWY0ZmItNGI4ZS04OTg2LWViZTMzNWEzODI5Mi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.sSz8ANk-kZiFD4RmrK4Nt9BqFDPLsA7M2MyuWwhZKtU

870?cb=20080608192835

11 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The Decimator actually has living space, whereas the Lambda is a shuttle, not intended for long space travel.

The long-distance Lambda (which stats I've been quoting) has twice as many consumables than the Decimator. It is intended for long-distance travel.

The second image is not showing. (Out of curiosity, where do these floor plans come from? Beyond Wookieepedia, of course.)

The only thing going for the Decimator "comfort-wise" is that someone has provided a floor plan which shows how its internal space can be divided up. What's to stop a Lambda's internal space from being similarly divided up?

The long-distance Lambda (which stats I've been quoting) has twice as many consumables than the Decimator. It is intended for long-distance travel.

The second image is not showing. (Out of curiosity, where do these floor plans come from? Beyond Wookieepedia, of course.)

The only thing going for the Decimator "comfort-wise" is that someone has provided a floor plan which shows how its internal space can be divided up. What's to stop a Lambda's internal space from being similarly divided up?

I mostly google them. Look at the Legends Wookieepedia article for the Lambda and you'll see the image I posted. It's deck plans.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

For "official" deck plans on the VT-49, there might be some images or video from Star Wars: Galaxies floating around still... (granted the grafics might be slightly out of proportion do to it's MMO style.)

99b06fcff63e4a43be5aa704337c9920.jpg

VT-49 Imperial Decimator Deck Plans - Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG | Star  wars ships, Star wars spaceships, Star wars rpg This Photo was uploaded by dharman07. | Star wars ships, Star wars planets, Star  wars spaceships

The alternate configuration for the Lambda has space for 8 passengers in staterooms - presumably one each, since the long-distance Lambda can double as a VIP shuttle. Palpatine definitely would not have arrived on board Death Star 2 in a Lambda with the same configuration as a stormtrooper sardine can.

However, if you are so dead set on using the "evil Millenium Falcon ", then so be it.

(I can only conclude that it must be because someone supplied a "group-friendly" floor plan, despite the stat blocks proving that the Lambda has more usable volume inside ...)

The Witches back on Dathomir will probably appreciate the greater internal volume of the Lambda when it comes to cargo transportation.

And I sincerely hope that we don't get into any vehicular combat with the Decimator ... -3 on the the Handling?!? :o

Just now, Bellona said:

The alternate configuration for the Lambda has space for 8 passengers in staterooms - presumably one each, since the long-distance Lambda can double as a VIP shuttle. Palpatine definitely would not have arrived on board Death Star 2 in a Lambda with the same configuration as a stormtrooper sardine can.

Well, that depends. Did he travel from Coruscant to Endor on a shuttle, or did he simply use the shuttle to go from the ship that transported him to the Death Star? It was likely a variant, not the troop transport version, but the troop transport version is more common and is what we have.

By the way, I believe the "Long Range" is just saying that it is hyperspace capable, rather than a shuttle merely intended to go from ship-to-ship or ship-to-surface.

I don't really know why it's called "Long Range" though, as other shuttles more suited to long range operations do not have such a descriptor. It doesn't really fit its stated mission profile all that well, as it doesn't really have any living space.

I'm still on the side of the VT-49. I think it's more narratively appropriate, and the better weapons will be important when push comes to shove. I don't think the two additional stations in the Lambda will actually be all that useful/important.

An important point about the weapon systems, the quad batteries have the Accurate 1 quality and equal/better damage than most of the weapons on a Lambda. Accurate is a free Boost that can help us hit to begin with (avg. 1/3 Success+2/3 Advantage), and then it has enough power behind it to actually do something. To compare, the light blaster cannons do only 4 damage and aren't Accurate, meaning they'll take 2 hits at 1 Success to get to equal with a TIE's HT, whereas one of the quads would kill it in 2 1 Success hits, with spillover damage, an important comparison when discussing weapons that each have Linked.

However, if you are so dead set on using the "evil Millenium Falcon ", then so be it.

(I can only conclude that it must be because someone supplied a "group-friendly" floor plan, despite the stat blocks proving that the Lambda has more usable volume inside ...)

I disagree with you on the importance of "more usable volume." The Lambda is smaller and packs in passengers like sardines, and the significant majority of the cargo storage is only accessible externally.

Encumbrance capacity is not really a concern for us at this point, but defense is, and narratively, a ship suitable for habitation is important.

It's not because "someone supplied a 'group-friendly' floor plan" it's because that's how the ship is laid out, and the layout makes sense for a group ship. The Lambda's does not. I'm not really arguing over stats here, though I certainly think the stats on the VT-49 are better suited in certain ways, I am arguing about what is best narratively.
If someone provided a group-friendly floor plan for the Lambda, I'd have to compare it to what we have in the official material and see if it actually fits.

6 minutes ago, Bellona said:

And I sincerely hope that we don't get into any vehicular combat with the Decimator ... -3 on the the Handling?!? :o

Having GMed space battles for ships with -2 Handling before, -3 on Handling isn't that big a deal unless we're in difficult terrain. If we're being chased, it becomes an issue, but we'll be more capable of dealing with enemies during a pursuit (more and better aft-facing weapons for one thing) and the Concussion Missile Launchers give us a decent punch if we find ourselves in a pickle or facing a foe more beefy than a TIE. Having Breach 4 6 damage with Linked 1 in our back pocket is a pretty useful card.

I think having something more capable of combat and not having to use it is better than having something less capable of combat and needing to use it. I don't think there's really any difference in bluffability between the two ships, both are Imperial, but the VT-49 is going to be able to hold its own better and deal with a broader variety of targets if things go wrong.

So if there's an equal chance that either will fall into combat, I'd want the beefier vehicle. -3 Handling isn't good, but it's a less important stat in my estimation.

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

By the way, I believe the "Long Range" is just saying that it is hyperspace capable, rather than a shuttle merely intended to go from ship-to-ship or ship-to-surface.

I don't really know why it's called "Long Range" though, as other shuttles more suited to long range operations do not have such a descriptor. It doesn't really fit its stated mission profile all that well, as it doesn't really have any living space.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lambda-class_T-4a_shuttle/Legends has this to say: "I t was also equipped with a Class 1 hyperdrive since its mission profile involved traveling across the galaxy. " And it also mentions staterooms. Those are large living spaces for passengers, "... a captain's or superior officer's room on a ship ... a private compartment on a ship."

FaD p. 260: "... and they can be configured as troop carriers, heavy cargo shuttles, or even luxury VIP shuttles for high-ranking Imperial officers and dignitaries."

Starships of the Galaxy p. 106: "When the ship is used as a personal transport for Imperial dignitaries and officers, the cargo space is often converted into a comfortable living area with many of the amenties of a star yacht."

One picture showing one particular internal configuration for the Lambda does not tell the entire tale.

That said, we'll leave it to the Witches back on Dathomir to figure out if they want to (re-)configure the Lambda in any way. We'll take the Decimator since you're so dead set on it.

(I hope that the Decimator has as good a life-boat option as the Lambda.)

16 minutes ago, Bellona said:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lambda-class_T-4a_shuttle/Legends has this to say: "I t was also equipped with a Class 1 hyperdrive since its mission profile involved traveling across the galaxy. " And it also mentions staterooms. Those are large living spaces for passengers, "... a captain's or superior officer's room on a ship ... a private compartment on a ship."

FaD p. 260: "... and they can be configured as troop carriers, heavy cargo shuttles, or even luxury VIP shuttles for high-ranking Imperial officers and dignitaries."

Starships of the Galaxy p. 106: "When the ship is used as a personal transport for Imperial dignitaries and officers, the cargo space is often converted into a comfortable living area with many of the amenties of a star yacht."

One picture showing one particular internal configuration for the Lambda does not tell the entire tale.

That said, we'll leave it to the Witches back on Dathomir to figure out if they want to (re-)configure the Lambda in any way. We'll take the Decimator since you're so dead set on it.

(I hope that the Decimator has as good a life-boat option as the Lambda.)

You don't need to get all huffy, I'm not "dead set" on the Decimator, and I'm not trying to strong arm you into anything.

Those examples are all exceptions. It can also... When it is... Sometimes... and I do not deny them. However...
The article also states that the standard configuration is 20 passengers. One picture, showing one particular layout, but it's a picture from an official source of what is the standard configuration I can pull up many more pictures of that configuration if you need it.

For the record, I'm not even that big a fan of the Decimator. I don't think it's the best choice for this mission profile either mechanically or narratively, but I do think it is better than its only competition in this situation.

And if we get to the point of a lifeboat, we're pretty much screwed anyway. If the Lambda has to jettison its escape pod, we'll either be captured or killed. It has no hyperdrive, and can't really go much of anywhere especially when it's under pursuit. It would only become relevant for preservation of life if it came to the Major Hull Breach or Breaking Up crits.

I'm not saying the Decimator is better across the board, the Lambda does have its advantages, but I think the Decimator's advantages are better than those of the Lambda in this situation.

@P-47 Thunderbolt @Bellona

You can always swap out depending on missions, But as of now, you do have the VT-49's computers fully under your command, while the Lambda currently has a Setback on the next Computer check and parts of the database not accessed..

Once you make your plans, sort out your transportation and jump to Hyperspace, that will conclude Part 2... (then the real fun begins :D )

@Bellona , are you ready for me to go ahead and narrate us 1. to hyperspace, 2. to the deep-space rendezvous, 3. sending the Lambda back home, and 4. back into hyperspace on our way to Vicsil?

@RuusMarev , I'll remember to have the Gozanti issue a challenge.

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@Bellona , are you ready for me to go ahead and narrate us 1. to hyperspace, 2. to the deep-space rendezvous, 3. sending the Lambda back home, and 4. back into hyperspace on our way to Vicsil?

@RuusMarev , I'll remember to have the Gozanti issue a challenge.

Sure!

:)

Yes, I named the Decimator Kandosii. Deal with it. :D