54NCH32 Legion Paintworks [301220 - Mace Windu]

By 54NCH32, in Painting

10 hours ago, joewrightgm said:

The OSL on Obi-wan looks great! Not over the top, nice and subtle. Face is great too!

Thanks. I kept the head separate (on the end of a pin) during painting to make it easier to reach (that **** saber being where it is would have caused a lot of headaches trying to reach it).

25 minutes ago, Proff3RTR said:

I like them a lot, although I have just purchased the Star Wars Legion Core set, see-ing these does make me want to but the Clone wars core boxed set as well! Really nice work.

Cheers, the first core set didn't really interest me (having painted enough Galactic Civil War era stuff for Imperial Assault to last me a lifetime! 🤣 ) but I've been after phase 1/2 clone minis for a lifetime.

Models look great, and I really appreciate you outlining the steps you took to get there. Do more!

Thanks 👍 I try to pre-empt any queries that might be asked. I've refined quick painting stormtroopers to a fine art by now 🤣 (due to Imperial Assault!)

You've inspired me to do something terrible.

The pauldron chevrons on your clones remind me of the Star Tours logo. And so, I'm making a Star Tours Security squad. It's your fault...

star-tours-logo-696x467.jpg

Edited by OuterPop
27 minutes ago, OuterPop said:

You've inspired me to do something terrible.

The pauldron chevrons on your clones remind me of the Star Tours logo. And so, I'm making a Star Tours Security squad. It's your fault...

21cgle.jpg

Rex finished. Also bought a second to paint up as Commander Bly.

Had to use the awesome 4k camera at work, as my DSLR is getting repaired (as it died for no reason last week!)

REX-FINAL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32
On 11/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, 54NCH32 said:

Leader for 2nd squad (I really need to think up some cool squad names)

you could do the 212-battalion for orange and the 327-star corps for yellow. I don't know if they existed as phase one but I think its a pretty good idea. as far as cool squad names you could do something like the 31st ranger division?

On 11/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, 54NCH32 said:

So I finally bought in and painted some legion. (Clone wars sealed it, always wanted clone minis). First bit of painting in 6 months, been a bit of a hiatus.

Finished a couple of test clones out after settling on colours. Heavily 212th inspired (always a fan of orange on stuff!) , but not going overboard with markings on the grunts (I wanna try and do em quick 😆 ) but a little more detailing on the unit leaders.

- White undercoat (wilko craft)
- Vallejo German grey for black areas
- Fire Dragon Bright for unit colour
- 50/50 shade (nuln oil / lahian medium)
- Drybrush (boots) - mix of mournfang brown, kislev flesh and troll slayer orange

Bases:
- WWS Fine red mixed stone
- Fuegan Orange Wash
- Fire Dragon bright drybrush

Clone Unit Leader:
clone-leader.jpg

Clone Grunt:
clone.jpg

Awesome work, really well done. Looks like I am gonna buy Star Wars Legion Clone wars next up.

Man, that’s a phenomenal Rex.

Finished of my BARC speeder today. I was dreading this one, but was actually pretty fun to paint in the end. Really happy with the colour scheme (which I had planned beforehand in photoshop).

Shots aren't great as my camera is still dead (it got fixed and literally died straight away testing it at the shop today!).

BARC-333.jpg

BARC-444.jpg

My favorite color scheme, hands down.

Gorgeous!

Some nicer shots of the finished BARC (including base this time)

BARC-1.jpg

BARC-2.jpg

BARC-3.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

...and a shot of the finished clones from the core set (+Rex)

CLONE-CORE-1.jpg

What is your technique for scarring the armor?

32 minutes ago, WGNF911 said:

What is your technique for scarring the armor?

Black brush mark, and a white highlight on the underside. Although I do an occasional bit of torn sponge dipped in black for the black marks (to randomise it a bit)

Edited by 54NCH32

Love that BARC speeder! What paint color did you use for the orange on it?

2 hours ago, Lykandros said:

Love that BARC speeder! What paint color did you use for the orange on it?

Cheers. Its GW Averland Sunset

Edited by 54NCH32

Wow! They look great. I love the speeder.

Got around to some Christmas painting time, finished off the last of the B1s from my core set, to get ready to paint up the second (from the missus for xmas).

No markings for this squad, but planned out a few simple schemes for squads 2 and 3.

(Humbrol Desert Tan primer - Vallejo metal colour for the weapons, Yriel Yellow for leader - 50/50 wash of Agrax / Lahmian medium - Light drybrush of screaming skull for highlight).

B1-SQUAD-2.jpg

Clone Squad 3 finished, thought I'd spend some extra time and give these guys a custom dual colour marking scheme. Leader's helmet replaced with a spare Rex phase 1.

CLONE-SQUAD-4-ALL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

I agree. Great job!

Took a break from painting squads to paint up a few bits of terrain I got for xmas...

TERRAIN-1.jpg

TERRAIN-5.jpg

TERRAIN-4.jpg

TERRAIN-3.jpg

Also picked up a cheap compact lightbox for photos, so took some test shots with Rex...

REX-LIGHTBOX.jpg

Nice shots with rex ( the painting job IS already known to be excellent)

What lightbox do you use? Is it the kind with integrated led-light or do you use external strobe with it?

Its the one below, thought I'd take a chance on it (as was only £12 when I ordered), it's small, but perfect for single / a few minis. It's a built-in LED ring, with colour temp change which i didnt expect for the price. But yeah, quite impressed so far

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=148LYIXGS6DN9&K=JNXAXFJM3CUW&M=urn:rtn:msg:2020011411062952951f9d8206472598a1ca6f4e00p0eu&R=1ZEWHRLSVMWR&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB07Y4MTVDN%3Fref_%3Dpe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1&H=ZAG4ZG2VTFEGO3D2WSXANL4GJTIA&ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1