Ms. Marvel preview October 8th

By Supertoe, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

They could always have multiple effects depending on his size on the same card.

Caleb describe the action of reaching across the table to pull a card back into hand from being in play as thematically "Stretching" the character. It's a bit of a weak connection from that description, but we haven't actually seen how the deck plays. If it feels fluid and adaptable it probably will get that feeling of shifting shape across.

12 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

Sentinels had a size changing hero and had 3 hero cards (for normal, huge, and tiny) and would change when you used a card with the corresponding keyword. Cool mechanic tho somewhat complicated.

Sentinels also had a shape-shifter hero that had 3 form cards in his deck and his ability allowed him to grab them from deck or discard. Then his other cards had varying effects based on which form he was him.

I doubt we will see something similar for Ms Marvel, but for Ant-man, maybe?

The problem with special mechanics like that is decks in Champions only have 15 cards which are unique compared to Sentinels in which the entire deck was signature cards.

All the heroes so far have 15 cards that are unique, but that's not guaranteed to be the same for any future designs.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:41 PM, phillos said:

Caleb describe the action of reaching across the table to pull a card back into hand from being in play as thematically "Stretching" the character. It's a bit of a weak connection from that description, but we haven't actually seen how the deck plays. If it feels fluid and adaptable it probably will get that feeling of shifting shape across.

Interesting; I do wonder if her hero power won’t be the ability to alter her stats when she changes into hero form.

Daaannngggggggg that Alter-Ego card rivals She-Hulk, that's awesome. Ability seems neat too. Very disappointed with how boring some of her cards like Big Hands are though. I was really hoping they wouldn't just reprint "deal X damage" over an over again was hero cards.

Tackle is a more interesting card, but that said Big Hands is just meant to be synergistic with her hero ability. She needs lots of those types of cards in her deck because otherwise she's just a sad 1/1/1. I think the most interesting part of her deck is her supports that let her stretch and contract her hand/turn over the coarse of the game. I think they get across the feeling of a flexible, shape changing hero pretty well. Also they allow her to hold onto things like Big Hands and Uppercut for when she really needs them. If only Black Panther had that option. "Wakanda Forever" just clogs your hand or you discard it for a resource if it comes up at the wrong time. Bruno seems like one of the most important cards in her deck.

I'm very happy with her design. She looks really neat and she's a completely different type of deck to run from the other heroes. Though she has another Obligation that exhausts the hero or does something horrific. I'd really like to see once we get past this core cycle of content that Obligation mechanic do something more inventive. Feels like almost every time you just exhaust the hero on these Obligations. Maybe it will be a more nuanced choice once we get into playing the game more.

Edited by phillos

I really like the concept and theme and building her deck will be very different as she doesn't actually want to attack, thwart, and defend.

The core Protection cards mostly key off of defending which she doesn't really want to do. But the prot cards she comes with will likely work with her so we will have to see.

Justice is currently fairly independent from thwart and her card, Shrink synergizes so I see this working pretty well.

Aggression has some good burst potential and I think will develop to be heavy in events.

I dont see much synergy with leadership bit that is okay.

I think the card pool at the moment is slightly underdeveloped to properly support what she wants to do (there are actually not many events that work with her ability in the core set), but once it is, I think she will be really strong.

57 minutes ago, phillos said:

Though she has another Obligation that exhausts the hero or does something horrific. I'd really like to see once we get past this core cycle of content that Obligation mechanic do something more inventive. Feels like almost every time you just exhaust the hero on these Obligations. Maybe it will be a more nuanced choice once we get into playing the game more.

The designer definitely stated that going forward they're looking to introduce Obligations that don't rinse-repeat the exhaust-to-discard mechanic that we see with the early heroes so far.

I noted the designer also stated that currently hero packs are likely to include an average of 5 or 6 re-prints of core cards (same art); this to facilitate heroes being playable straight out of the blister pack. That's more than I was expecting, but I understand their intentions.

I like a couple of the Protection cards: Energy Barrier and Tackle. Not sure I'll pick up this pack though. Ms. Marvel is not a character I'm invested in. But I may be more interested in the following hero pack...some big guy with a scary hammer apparently....

Edited by Janaka
21 minutes ago, Deadwolf said:

I really like the concept and theme and building her deck will be very different as she doesn't actually want to attack, thwart, and defend.

The core Protection cards mostly key off of defending which she doesn't really want to do. But the prot cards she comes with will likely work with her so we will have to see.

Justice is currently fairly independent from thwart and her card, Shrink synergizes so I see this working pretty well.

Aggression has some good burst potential and I think will develop to be heavy in events.

I dont see much synergy with leadership bit that is okay.

I think the card pool at the moment is slightly underdeveloped to properly support what she wants to do (there are actually not many events that work with her ability in the core set), but once it is, I think she will be really strong.

Most leadership cards don’t have anything to do with your stats, so there is that.

Plus, you can only pull one back per turn, so on the bright side you wouldn’t have to worry about conflicting choices/options as frequently.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:59 PM, TechnoGolem said:

I'm not too familiar with her character. Seems her ability to shape shift is little more than enlarging her hands, feet, or ears.

My experience with the character is limited. Mostly because I find her a little obnoxious and tend to avoid her. Still, I plan to buy her pack and am curious to see what they do with her.

Yeah, it's a terrible character. Aside from the Mr. Fantastic rip-off powers, she's also Hank Pym.

49 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Most leadership cards don’t have anything to do with your stats, so there is that.

Plus, you can only pull one back per turn, so on the bright side you wouldn’t have to worry about conflicting choices/options as frequently.

I can't see her working in an ally heavy leadership deck, not enough resources to play expensive allies and replay cards. But if we get more cards like morale boost to make a support leadership deck, then it could work.

Although I hate how the value of Morale Boost is heavily dependent on your turn order at the time. Fixed turn order in co-op games is dumb.

8 minutes ago, Deadwolf said:

I can't see her working in an ally heavy leadership deck, not enough resources to play expensive allies and replay cards. But if we get more cards like morale boost to make a support leadership deck, then it could work.

Although I hate how the value of Morale Boost is heavily dependent on your turn order at the time. Fixed turn order in co-op games is dumb.

Doesn’t one of her persona allies allow you to recycle a card into the deck? That’s like a low-key version of make the call already.

Yeah, Aamir Khan; you can get many several out of an ally that way.

1 hour ago, Deadwolf said:

You can play events on other players' turns.

I know nothing about Ms. Marvel really, but I'm pleasantly surprised by this. She looks fun and different enough that it could make building a deck around down-the-line a bit silly and "light". Had no real interest in the pack until I saw the preview, and now she's oddly one I'm most looking forward to giving a spin.

5 hours ago, Janaka said:

I noted the designer also stated that currently hero packs are likely to include an average of 5 or 6 re-prints of core cards (same art); this to facilitate heroes being playable straight out of the blister pack. That's more than I was expecting, but I understand their intentions...

Wow. That's.....that's really, really bad. I thought I was being a pessimist saying 3 or 4.

Edited by Supertoe

On the stream they showed Sneak by, and then paired it with Shrink. They also alluded to an attack version of Sneak by in the article (Big Hands). I am wondering if there will also be an attack version of Shrink (Grow?).

If so, aggression would be very interesting as it has 2 attack events in the core set and 1 thwart event (which doesn't work with her ability since it triggers off attacking, but shrink would work with it).

I'm glad he at least gave us an estimated count of reprints. I do think that is kinda high personally, but also how annoying it is depends entirely on what cards they are reprinting.

I'm glad he confirmed our suspicions about the art. Also I think all the art in this article was amazing.

9 hours ago, urloony said:

Yeah, it's a terrible character. Aside from the Mr. Fantastic rip-off powers, she's also Hank Pym.

Character you don't like =/= terrible character. It's a personal preference, not an absolute fact.

As for "rip-off powers," Ms. Marvel is no more a rip-off of Mr. Fantastic than Reed is of Plastic Man or the Elongated Man, both of whom predate him as "superhero with stretchy powers."

I like that Mike Boggs discussed how he knew little about Ms. Marvel and then he started researching her and then grew to really like her after he read her comic. I'd say I was sort of the same way. I went into her #1 not expecting much and then as I continued reading her issues I found her a real fun and compelling character. It makes sense if he was a big Spider-Man fan then he's also be into Ms. Marvel.

Also I'm super happy that we got a Nova character in the game. I'm still hoping for a Richard Rider hero deck. It would be cool to run Richard Rider/Protection with Sam Alexander as his ally.

Edited by phillos
6 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Character you don't like =/= terrible character. It's a personal preference, not an absolute fact.

As for "rip-off powers," Ms. Marvel is no more a rip-off of Mr. Fantastic than Reed is of Plastic Man or the Elongated Man, both of whom predate him as "superhero with stretchy powers."

Kamala is objectively a terrible character, I'm sorry to say. She's not alone, there is a plethora of terrible Marvel characters. Squirrel Girl is another prime example, although worse than Kamala. I'll be surprised if Squirrel girl isn't next on the "hero" list for us. Please defend squirrel girl next as the bestest ever.

Ok clearly they must be basing this off of new comics I haven't read. I have no idea who this is or why she is coming out before much more well known characters like Storm, Jean Grey, Gamora, etc...

22 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

Ok clearly they must be basing this off of new comics I haven't read. I have no idea who this is or why she is coming out before much more well known characters like Storm, Jean Grey, Gamora, etc...

That IS the question, isn't it? Marvel has decided to push agenda driven characters on their fans, effectively helping these new characters jump the line in front of far more established and well-known characters most people would rather see. Marvel is also well aware that most normies have never heard of Kamala Khan, so to help fight their apparent ignorance, they insist that you need to get on the band-wagon because everyone loves Kamala Khan and she's extremely popular and you should love her too! Her mag gets heavily pushed by Marvel, even though it doesn't sell, and now a new TV show. To the handful of Kamala fans out there, they will point to this as evidence of her popularity. Batwoman anyone? Kamala is a character no one asked for and no one wants. (Talk to you after my ban, which will probably be a week for my unpopular comments.)

Edited by urloony
23 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

Well for one, they dont want to release all the popular characters right away. It lets them give draws later in the game's life.

As for comics, Kamala is actually pretty popular. Her floppies sell poor, but her fanbase consumes in other ways. TPBs and digital.

She isnt a terrible character. She is fresh and new in a way that few characters achieve. People like Boggs discover her and enjoy her.

And instead of actual reasons for why she is a bad character, urloony just says she is Agenda driven and that is it. You never see reasoning like that when they push Deadpool or Nova. But a female or minority character and suddenly there is an agenda. As opposed to just wanting to tell a story with a new character who has a different perspective from heroes we have seen dozens of times.

1 hour ago, General_Grievous said:

And Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, X-23....

The "they don't want to release all the popular characters at once" makes sense when you talk about the most major of characters, like Cap, Thor, Wolverine, but there's plenty of Tier 2 characters, including many females and people of minority identities in terms of popularity before digging deep into the obscure ones.

But then again, maybe one of the designers just really likes Ms. Marvel, after all Wrecking Crew isn't exactly the most iconic of villains either. I mean if I were designing the game I might try and force Luke Cage into the game as a hero, regardless of popularity. Same for Agent Venom or Scarlet Witch.

Edited by Supertoe
43 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

And instead of actual reasons for why she is a bad character, urloony just says she is Agenda driven and that is it. You never see reasoning like that when they push Deadpool or Nova. But a female or minority character and suddenly there is an agenda. As opposed to just wanting to tell a story with a new character who has a different perspective from heroes we have seen dozens of times.

The agenda is pretty straightforward to replace traditional, typically male characters, with Mary Sue female or minority characters.

Obvious examples include:

• Thor: Don Blake->Thor: Jane Foster
  • Steve Rogers ->Sam Wilson
  • Tony Stark -> Riri Williams
  • Miss America ->America Chavez.

In the MCU you have:

• Mar-Vell (Male) -> Mar-Vell (female)
  • Captain Marvel (Male -> Captain marvel (female)
  • Alicia Masters (white) ->Alicia Masters (black).
  • Heimdall (white) -> Heimdall (black)
  • MJ (white -> MJ (Latina)

(There are many more)

Marvel could have promoted historically female or minority characters in their own books like Monica Rambau, Storm, Scarlet Witch, or Rogue. However, Iron Man, Captain America and others are far more popular books. So instead of taking historic characters or even creating new characters and making them a success on their own, they instead hijack established characters and convince fans that if they don't like their change they must be a bigot. Black Panther is an amazing example of how Marvel could have gone a different direction with all of these character changes. Black Panther has always been a great character and Marvel developed a great movie for it. I just wish they could have done the same for others.