Ms. Marvel preview October 8th

By Supertoe, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

I'm going to guess she is a justice character, but I wouldn't be surprised with protection either. I wonder what sort of cards she'd have. I understand her powers are fairly similar to that of Captain Marvel, but she shapeshifts as well? Could lead to some interesting cards, I hope they do it well, shapeshifting can sometimes not translate well in games.

Will definitely be super cool to see. The cap preview was a little underwhelming, his cards are strong but not too interesting, I hope we get see some more design space explored (and hopefully get a few more card previews than we did last time).

Edited by Supertoe

I actually thought Cap looked really fun to play and enjoyed his preview. Though you are right, his design might not be the most outside of the box in nature.

With the uniqueness of Ms. Marvel's powers, I'm hoping that she'll have some pretty interesting cards. I head one of the developers on the No Responsibility podcast say that he was really excited about her.

I'm not too familiar with her character. Seems her ability to shape shift is little more than enlarging her hands, feet, or ears.

My experience with the character is limited. Mostly because I find her a little obnoxious and tend to avoid her. Still, I plan to buy her pack and am curious to see what they do with her.

The thing I like about Capt America is that I think he will be really good with 3 of the 4 aspects, giving him a lot of versatility.

I also think Ms Marvel will be Justice, because if we get Thor after, it seems likely he'll be Protection. And then Ghost Rider as aggression? (As he will be the last character to be found on the Avengers Assemble card art)

It will he interesting to see if they have a mechanical representation of her powers or if we will just see cards like "Giant Fist Punch". Shrugs.

Edited by Deadwolf

Ms Marvel will be protection. Thor would likely be Aggression. My bet on last is Ghost Rider Justice.

4 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

The thing I like about Capt America is that I think he will be really good with 3 of the 4 aspects, giving him a lot of versatility.

I also think Ms Marvel will be Justice, because if we get Thor after, it seems likely he'll be Protection. And then Ghost Rider as aggression? (As he will be the last character to be found on the Avengers Assemble card art)

It will he interesting to see if they have a mechanical representation of her powers or if we will just see cards like "Giant Fist Punch". Shrugs.

Thor protection? I’m not seeing that personally...

- Ms Marvel - Protection

- Thor - Aggression

- Ghost Rider (?) - Justice

Wait did they announce Ghost Rider??

They did not announce Ghost Rider, pure speculation

If Ghost Rider is the 4th hero of the cycle, (assuming there are 4 heroes in a cycle) it begs the question: Which Rider are we talking about? If it is Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch, then the argument can be made that Ghost Rider will have the Justice aspect.

If it is Robbie Reyes, it would make more sense that Ghost Rider will have th Aggression aspect.

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

- Ms Marvel - Protection

- Thor - Aggression

I can see an argument for any hero to be any aspect. That's sort of the whole point of the design. Really we are just trying to guess the default build in their box.

The only reason to speculate Ghost Rider is he is the one character that appears on the Avengers Assemble card, but is unannounced in the game. Also it appears to be a commissioned piece and not reused art. So his inclusion is deliberate. So it is speculation, but it's a good educated guess. I'm not a big Ghost Rider fan, but he would certainly be a nice change of pace from the other already announced heroes. Personally I'm hoping for goofy cosmic Ghost Rider :) The picture on Avengers Assemble looks like Robbie Reyes to me.

Edited by phillos

Ms Marvel Protection and Thor aggression is definitely a possibility but then who would be the Justice hero? Ghost Rider definitely has some Justice elements but aggression seems like the better fit.

To me, Justice heroes are the ones who do crime fight in addition to tangling with the big bads and the ones that come to mind first are already in the game (I doubt Daredevil will get a hero version so soon).

That's why I was thinking Ms Marvel might be Justice.

(And as a side note, Spiderman probably has the fewest synergies with the Justice aspect of all of them, which is a real shame. But that is a different topic.)

4 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

If Ghost Rider is the 4th hero of the cycle, (assuming there are 4 heroes in a cycle) it begs the question: Which Rider are we talking about? If it is Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch, then the argument can be made that Ghost Rider will have the Justice aspect.

If it is Robbie Reyes, it would make more sense that Ghost Rider will have th Aggression aspect.

My guess is it's Alejandra Jones. That's what Dice Masters did and it fits with alternating male/female heroes.

Edited by Supertoe

Had no luck finding the card but why do people think it is commissioned art work? Seems like the art I've seen all came from various comics.

Ghost Rider does seem like an odd choice to me. I was expecting the first year of two of the game to mostly focus on characters getting a lot of attention outside of comics. Still, I'd be very excited if it was Ghost Rider.

Have to admit I'm more excited to hear about the first large expansion. Will it be five characters like the starter or four to match the aspects? Will they focus on a team or have a more abstract theme?

The game is apparently based on the current formation in the comics. Ghost Rider is Robbie Reyes in the new formation and theres room for Doctor Strange and Blade. Cosmic Ghost Rider is in the new Guardians of the Galaxy team.

Image from the comics (Avengers Assemble card art)

220px-Vingadores.jpg

Edited by kraisto
adding image
10 hours ago, FearLord said:

- Ms Marvel - Protection

- Thor - Aggression

Yes, this all seems obvious.

Ghost Riders penance Stare basically screams Justice aspect, if we assume they are doing one of each aspect for every 4 heroes rotated, then Ms. Marvel’s seems more suited to protection vis aggression. Thor is pure Aggro.

On September 30, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Supertoe said:

I'm going to guess she is a justice character, but I wouldn't be surprised with protection either. I wonder what sort of cards she'd have. I understand her powers are fairly similar to that of Captain Marvel, but she shapeshifts as well? Could lead to some interesting cards, I hope they do it well, shapeshifting can sometimes not translate well in games.

Will definitely be super cool to see. The cap preview was a little underwhelming, his cards are strong but not too interesting, I hope we get see some more design space explored (and hopefully get a few more card previews than we did last time).

Actually, her powers are completely different. The only thing in common is that Kamala based her name and costume on Carol's.

Carol's powers are energy-based, while Kamala's are about shape shifting, more like Mr. Fantastic than anyone else.

3 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Actually, her powers are completely different. The only thing in common is that Kamala based her name and costume on Carol's.

Carol's powers are energy-based, while Kamala's are about shape shifting, more like Mr. Fantastic than anyone else.

Didn't someone else say further up the thread though that she couldn't do much with shapeshifting?

I guess Ms Marvel is featured on the art for the Protection card Get behind Me. So her as Protection does seem rather likely, which would make Thor aggro (which is the best fit).

Who knows who the Justice hero would be. Ghost Rider seems to be as good a guess as any. I can't think of any other headlining heroes associated with the Avengers, that I would also associate with Justice (not counting Daredevil, who will be a hero eventually but this early seems unlikely).

17 hours ago, Supertoe said:

My guess is it's Alejandra Jones. That's what Dice Masters did and it fits with alternating male/female heroes.

If FFG decides to throw everyone for a curve and give is Alejandra, she would most likely be built with an Aggression aspect, no doubt about it. However, I think she would most likely be an ally

19 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Had no luck finding the card but why do people think it is commissioned art work? Seems like the art I've seen all came from various comics.

This card has an artist credited on the card. The art people have identified from the comics have no artist credited. It's been our educated guess that they needed to credit the artist when they commissioned new art and that was not required when they sourced previous marvel art. The credited artists on the cards are not any marvel artists I've heard of previously. I'm guessing the commissioned art is for when they wanted a very particular image that was too difficult to source or didn't exist in any of the source material.

Edited by phillos
12 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Didn't someone else say further up the thread though that she couldn't do much with shapeshifting?

I'm not sure what the question is. Are you talking about how powerful she is in the comics, or how her powerset will translate into a card game?

2 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

I'm not sure what the question is. Are you talking about how powerful she is in the comics, or how her powerset will translate into a card game?

Well, you said her powers were shapeshifting, but someone else said she couldn't do anything significant with her powers other than like enlarging her hands. I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with the less known characters, I only know the basics of marvel really.

Edited by Supertoe
1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

Well, you said her powers were shapeshifting, but someone else said she couldn't do anything significant with her powers other than like enlarging her hands. I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with the less known characters, I only know the basics of marvel really.

I assume you're talking about deadwolf's post. I think you misread it. He said he wonders if they're going to have interesting representations of her powers, of if the cards will just be stuff like "giant fist punch." Not that punching is her only power.

To expand a little bit on what her powers are, she can assume the appearance of another person (the first thing she did was accidentally transform herself to look like Carol Danvers,), she can grow or shrink her entire body, or just parts of it, like making the previously mentioned giant fists, and she also heals faster than normal (not like wolverine/Deadpool level of healing, but recovering from a gunshot in only a couple days.)

Mechanically speaking, one of the preview videos mentioned her having a way to get cards back from the discard pile (which sounds like an odd way to represent stretching to me, but okay). And based on other games, shape shifting power suites often include ways to adjust one's stats and/or copy abilities of other characters.

So I think they have plenty to work with.

9 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

I assume you're talking about deadwolf's post. I think you misread it. He said he wonders if they're going to have interesting representations of her powers, of if the cards will just be stuff like "giant fist punch." Not that punching is her only power.

To expand a little bit on what her powers are, she can assume the appearance of another person (the first thing she did was accidentally transform herself to look like Carol Danvers,), she can grow or shrink her entire body, or just parts of it, like making the previously mentioned giant fists, and she also heals faster than normal (not like wolverine/Deadpool level of healing, but recovering from a gunshot in only a couple days.)

Mechanically speaking, one of the preview videos mentioned her having a way to get cards back from the discard pile (which sounds like an odd way to represent stretching to me, but okay). And based on other games, shape shifting power suites often include ways to adjust one's stats and/or copy abilities of other characters.

So I think they have plenty to work with.

Cool, thanks! Sounds like it could be a fairly interesting deck. Not sure why recursion is a thing for it though, you're right, that sounds weird. Shapeshifting is hard to do in games though, but if it were me I'd just have a bunch of different upgrades representing different "forms" she can take and then you make one active each turn or something, and the inactive ones give a passive effect.

Sentinels had a size changing hero and had 3 hero cards (for normal, huge, and tiny) and would change when you used a card with the corresponding keyword. Cool mechanic tho somewhat complicated.

Sentinels also had a shape-shifter hero that had 3 form cards in his deck and his ability allowed him to grab them from deck or discard. Then his other cards had varying effects based on which form he was him.

I doubt we will see something similar for Ms Marvel, but for Ant-man, maybe?

The problem with special mechanics like that is decks in Champions only have 15 cards which are unique compared to Sentinels in which the entire deck was signature cards.

Edited by Deadwolf