Missing 12 heroes from Conversion Kit

By rugal, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

@ComtriS supplied and requested that I use his artwork. I went ahead and re-did the first 8 previously mentioned heroes with his artwork. They have been updated.

1 hour ago, rugal said:

Fine. But health, movement and stamina numbers are odd. Maybe they lack a black line ?

Some FFG original cards have a faint, thin, black outline around the numbers, some do not. I chose not. If it really matters, I can add some.

Just now, any2cards said:

Some FFG original cards have a faint, thin, black outline around the numbers, some do not. I chose not. If it really matters, I can add some.

I do, but let's if other thinks the same.

By the way, thanks to you and ComtriS for the artworks 😀

22 minutes ago, rugal said:

It doesn't look like V2, and heroes should be from feat to head on the artwork, not half ...

I updated the art for Aurim, so it's more "feet to head" -- let me know if that looks better.

7 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

I updated the art for Aurim, so it's more "feet to head" -- let me know if that looks better.

It does, even if I would use another artwork, since I don't like this one, but this is personnal thought, and since all heroes from D1 have another one in D2

Edited by rugal

I have added Eliam and Kirga. While Kirga's Heroic Feet is interesting, it introduces a level of complexity by implementing another token (Move token). If you are going to do this, I suggest you also provide artwork for such a token.

One more note: several of the cards use the term "figure" (such as Kirga's) rather than the more typical "monster" or "hero". It is possible that this is your intent, so that, for example, with Kirga, you could potentially move if a hero, monster, or certain familiars activate. If this is your intent, all well and good. If not, then the terms you use need to reflect the intent.

I need to take care of some things right now, so I will not get to the last two heroes until later.

Eliam's hero ability looks like a bit too much like Silhouette's, and maybe a bit stronger ?

11 hours ago, ComtriS said:

Scout: Kirga, Bounty Hunter

I know the Feat clashes with the rules of the game (because you're supposed to track Fatigue this way). I don't track Fatigue that way, so it's fine for me. I'm not sure how to accomplish this ability any other way, but I need to think about it some more.

Couldn't we change it so the fatigue tokens are not placed on your hero sheet? Maybe they could be placed on one of these:

- Hero Trun Summery /activation card

- 1 of your Equipped weapons

- 1 of your starting class cards. (this would however limit our boundries if we ever wanted to create a custom class that places fatigue tokens on its starting class card)

- Maybe even just calling it "near your play area" like the bard's song token is supposed to be before it is placed on his class cards.

Just a thought that might keep things easier or spark your minds with much better ideas than mine. :)
Keep up the good discussion, folks! ❤️ 💪

Kirga's feat could easily be reworded keeping the consistencies.

"Use at the start of your turn. Gain movement points equal to double your speed. You may spend those movement points at any time during any player's turn as long as you do not interupt another player's action unless it is a move action. You lose that movement points at the start of your next turn instead of end of your turn"

Something like that, at least.

Then, players may track movement point with a die for exemple

Edited by rugal

All 12 heroes are now done. I realize these are not the FINAL cards. I would appreciate it if people would review them and verify that all of the stats are correct, that they accurately reflect the correct hero images, and that the Hero ability and Heroic feat at least correctly reflect the current values while they are being tested.

To Dos:

1. Potentially surround all numerical values with a black outline
  2. Change any Hero abilities and Heroic feats to match any changes made

I do have one question concerning Landrec The Wise's hero ability. Virtually every card, every ability, etc. almost always refers to "3 spaces away". Why differ and make Landrec's "2 spaces away". Perhaps you are thinking that 3 spaces away would make his hero ability too powerful. If that is the case, I would suggest changing it so that you can maintain consistency with the rest of the game when it comes to "3 spaces away". Just my two cents.

Edited by any2cards
15 hours ago, any2cards said:

I have added Eliam and Kirga. While Kirga's Heroic Feet is interesting, it introduces a level of complexity by implementing another token (Move token). If you are going to do this, I suggest you also provide artwork for such a token.

One more note: several of the cards use the term "figure" (such as Kirga's) rather than the more typical "monster" or "hero". It is possible that this is your intent, so that, for example, with Kirga, you could potentially move if a hero, monster, or certain familiars activate. If this is your intent, all well and good. If not, then the terms you use need to reflect the intent.

I need to take care of some things right now, so I will not get to the last two heroes until later.

My intention is not to include another token. I very much do not want to do that. However, I wanted to make sure the idea of what I was trying to achieve got across correctly -- Kirga should have 10 movement points at the beginning of the encounter, and she can use them at any time. The details about how this is tracked we need to figure out.

I'm glad you noticed the change with "figure" :) yes, this was intentional. If there is any hero where you think this should be "monster" or "hero" instead of "figure" please let me know.

14 hours ago, rugal said:

Eliam's hero ability looks like a bit too much like Silhouette's, and maybe a bit stronger ?

Just so I make sure we're talking about the same thing:

Silhoutte: "Each time you perform an attack and roll an X result, choose 1 monster adjacent to you. That monster suffers Heart equal to 1 plus the number of weapons you have equipped."
Eliam (CK): "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack an adjacent monster and do not roll an X, deal 1 Heart to one other monster adjacent to you."
Eliam (new): "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure and roll 1 red power die. That figure suffers Heart equal to the Heart rolled."

I think this is completely different than Silhoutte. Silhoutte is when you roll an X -> damage = 1 + weapons. Eliam (new) is when you don't roll an X -> damage = 1 red die.

14 hours ago, Dadler93 said:

Couldn't we change it so the fatigue tokens are not placed on your hero sheet? Maybe they could be placed on one of these:

- Hero Trun Summery /activation card

- 1 of your Equipped weapons

- 1 of your starting class cards. (this would however limit our boundries if we ever wanted to create a custom class that places fatigue tokens on its starting class card)

- Maybe even just calling it "near your play area" like the bard's song token is supposed to be before it is placed on his class cards.

Just a thought that might keep things easier or spark your minds with much better ideas than mine. :)
Keep up the good discussion, folks! ❤️ 💪

This is a fantastic idea and solves the problem I think! Nobody uses the Hero Turn Summary card for anything. I'll add this to Kirga. Thanks!

14 hours ago, rugal said:

Kirga's feat could easily be reworded keeping the consistencies.

"Use at the start of your turn. Gain movement points equal to double your speed. You may spend those movement points at any time during any player's turn as long as you do not interupt another player's action unless it is a move action. You lose that movement points at the start of your next turn instead of end of your turn"

Something like that, at least.

Then, players may track movement point with a die for exemple

That changes the ability. The intention is: "Use at the start of your turn. Gain movement points equal to double your speed. You don't lose these at the end of your turn. You may spend these at any time ... etc. etc." Kirga should always have them available.

12 hours ago, any2cards said:

All 12 heroes are now done. I realize these are not the FINAL cards. I would appreciate it if people would review them and verify that all of the stats are correct, that they accurately reflect the correct hero images, and that the Hero ability and Heroic feat at least correctly reflect the current values while they are being tested.

To Dos:

1. Potentially surround all numerical values with a black outline
  2. Change any Hero abilities and Heroic feats to match any changes made

I do have one question concerning Landrec The Wise's hero ability. Virtually every card, every ability, etc. almost always refers to "3 spaces away". Why differ and make Landrec's "2 spaces away". Perhaps you are thinking that 3 spaces away would make his hero ability too powerful. If that is the case, I would suggest changing it so that you can maintain consistency with the rest of the game when it comes to "3 spaces away". Just my two cents.

About the black outline -- I would suggest adding a drop shadow instead. I experimented with this, and it looks like offset x=0, y=0, blur radius = 4, opacity = 1, produces something pretty close to the original Descent hero cards. You can also experiment to see what you think.

About Landrec, I did a search for all instances of "X spaces away" and "within X spaces" and here's what I found:

By raw count:

1 spaces: 7
2 spaces: 34
3 spaces: 149
4 spaces: 1 (Tomble!)
5 spaces: 15

So although you're right that 3 is the most common, 2 is certainly not that uncommon. And Tomble is a character with an extremely unique "within 4 spaces". Also notably, "within X spaces" is far far more common than "X spaces away". So we should try to use the former whenever possible.

4 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

I think this is completely different than Silhoutte. Silhoutte is when you roll an X -> damage = 1 + weapons. Eliam (new) is when you don't roll an X -> damage = 1 red die.

My mistake. But I still think there is 2 troubles : first, it locks him on some classes so being unplayable on others (will rather be a skirmisher, and never a Marshal for example), and second, this pass through armors, so even biggest monsters like Golems are doomed. I am not so fond of it.

2 minutes ago, rugal said:

My mistake. But I still think there is 2 troubles : first, it locks him on some classes so being unplayable on others (will rather be a skirmisher, and never a Marshal for example), and second, this pass through armors, so even biggest monsters like Golems are doomed. I am not so fond of it.

I don't think being "locked" to certain classes and unplayable on others would be unique to Eliam. So many other characters are like that too. You wouldn't play Orkell as a Knight. Alys and Marshal go together like bread and butter -- I've never seen Alys play anything else, and no other Warrior ever plays Marshal. Yes, Eliam would rather play Skirmisher but so would Orkell, and I think this is fine and makes sense -- they both look like Skirmishers.

The 2nd issue about passing through armor I think is a bigger issue. I think you might be correct that this is a problem. How about we look at it this way:

Eliam (CK) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack an adjacent monster and do not roll an X, deal 1 Heart to one other monster adjacent to you."
Eliam (low end) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 1 Heart."
Eliam (midpoint) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 2 Hearts."
Eliam (high end) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure and roll 1 red power die. That figure suffers Heart equal to the Heart rolled."

So I think we should think about where on this spectrum Eliam should fall, and do some playtesting to tweak the value accordingly. I'm not sure how much we need to make up for the brown die. But I do think making him consistent by removing the "one other monster" is a good thing.

12 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

I don't think being "locked" to certain classes and unplayable on others would be unique to Eliam. So many other characters are like that too. You wouldn't play Orkell as a Knight. Alys and Marshal go together like bread and butter -- I've never seen Alys play anything else, and no other Warrior ever plays Marshal. Yes, Eliam would rather play Skirmisher but so would Orkell, and I think this is fine and makes sense -- they both look like Skirmishers.

You're serious ?

Orkell is a wreck that can be played as nothing.
But about Alys, I've played her as many classes, and she do well as almost all heroes, and even if she works well as Marshall, Marshall can be really impressive with Corbin, Valadir, Syndrael and Hawthorne, for example.

But I'm ok that Jaes is also locked on some class because of his Rune affinity

12 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

Eliam (CK) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack an adjacent monster and do not roll an X, deal 1 Heart to one other monster adjacent to you."

Eliam (low end) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 1 Heart."
Eliam (midpoint) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 2 Hearts."
Eliam (high end) : "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure and roll 1 red power die. That figure suffers Heart equal to the Heart rolled."

So I think we should think about where on this spectrum Eliam should fall, and do some playtesting to tweak the value accordingly. I'm not sure how much we need to make up for the brown die. But I do think making him consistent by removing the "one other monster" is a good thing.

Still, I don't think these are the solution. I don't like the idea of rolling an additional red die and deal damages on target and that can go through armor. Maybe just adding + 1 🖤 on each attack while you have 2 equipped weapons is enough, or pierce 1, or something like that

Edited by rugal
3 minutes ago, rugal said:

You're serious ?

Orkell is a wreck that can be played as nothing.
But about Alys, I've played her as many classes, and she do well as almost all heroes, and even if she works well as Marshall, Marshall can be really impressive with Corbin, Valadir, Syndrael and Hawthorne, for example.

But I'm ok that Jaes is also locked on some class because of his Rune affinity

Orkell is a great Skirmisher with amazing mobility and stamina. His Heroic Feat is also incredible and really makes up for having a brown die. He may not be the best warrior in the game, but he's definitely good. Who else would you play as Skirmisher? Reynhart? Valadir?

3 minutes ago, rugal said:

Still, I don't think these are the solution. I don't like the idea of rolling an additional red die and deal damages on target and that can go through armor. Maybe just adding + 1 🖤 on each attack while you have 2 equipped weapons is enough

Adding +1 damage to attacks is certainly not enough. If you compare this to Trenloe it is absolutely weaker, and there is no reason to ever choose Eliam. If you'd like I think testing Eliam at "1 adjacent figure suffers 1 damage" is a good start. I think this is still too weak, but we'll have to see.

14 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

Orkell is a great Skirmisher with amazing mobility and stamina. His Heroic Feat is also incredible and really makes up for having a brown die. He may not be the best warrior in the game, but he's definitely good. Who else would you play as Skirmisher? Reynhart? Valadir ?

Karnon, Hawthorne, Varikas, but oftenly, I would hybridize it.

14 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

Adding +1 damage to attacks is certainly not enough. If you compare this to Trenloe it is absolutely weaker, and there is no reason to ever choose Eliam. If you'd like I think testing Eliam at "1 adjacent figure suffers 1 damage" is a good start. I think this is still too weak, but we'll have to see.

But Eliam and Trenloe have big differences : the first one has 5 move and and 5 stamina, while the other has 3 and 3. Nothing really to be compared with.

And what about rerolling power dice ?

Edited by rugal
4 minutes ago, rugal said:

But Eliam and Trenloe have big differences : the first one has 5 move and and 5 stamina, while the other has 3 and 3. Nothing really to be compared with.

Yes, this is a fair point. But did you consider Eliam (CK) to be strong when you played him? He was very weak when I tried him. Based on what you say he should've been very strong to deal 1 damage to adjacent monsters through armor, but that's not the case. Most of the time the "through armor" will probably not be much of an issue anyway, as he will be dealing more damage than the monster will be defending for (especially with +1 damage on attacks).

I'm going to test this version for now, but I think it's too weak:

"While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 1 Heart."

Just now, ComtriS said:

Yes, this is a fair point. But did you consider Eliam (CK) to be strong when you played him?

Almost all of the CK heroes were weak, with few broken exceptions.

1 minute ago, ComtriS said:

"While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may choose an adjacent figure. That figure suffers 1 Heart."

Fine. But I rather prefer my version, though.

Just now, rugal said:

Fine. But I rather prefer my version, though.

Please test your version and report here with your results on relative strength/weakness.

Just now, ComtriS said:

Please test your version and report here with your results on relative strength/weakness.

Already done. Here they are :

Since he has big move and stamina, he can easily perform up to 2 or 3 attacks a turn, and then do an 1 attack at + 1 and the third at + 2, and with some ranged weapon, that can be really strong.

But it is really impressive with his feat. You just have to perform 2 attacks, and then, first bonus attack with the feat will be + 2, then + 3, etc ... and the overlord will avoid to attack him. As a knight, he can protect adjacent heroes and then, the overlord will avoid attack.

But I admit that it prove it full potentiel as certain class, and not the other.

2 minutes ago, rugal said:

Already done. Here they are :

Since he has big move and stamina, he can easily perform up to 2 or 3 attacks a turn, and then do an 1 attack at + 1 and the third at + 2, and with some ranged weapon, that can be really strong.

But it is really impressive with his feat. You just have to perform 2 attacks, and then, first bonus attack with the feat will be + 2, then + 3, etc ... and the overlord will avoid to attack him. As a knight, he can protect adjacent heroes and then, the overlord will avoid attack.

But I admit that it prove it full potentiel as certain class, and not the other.

Which version is this? This sounds like the version that's +1 damage for each attack. I was asking about the other version you posted below:

50 minutes ago, rugal said:

+ 1 🖤 on each attack while you have 2 equipped weapons is enough, or pierce 1, or something like that

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Okay, so I was discussing this privately with @rugal and I think it's time I post it here publicly. Most of the heroes we've made modifications to have been minor balance tweaks. As @rugal says, almost all of these 12 heroes are absolutely terrible, nobody picks them (except for Aurim, which we've been discussing as potentially having the opposite problem). We're going to continue testing these to ensure we have balanced versions.

However, we also want to release a set of heroes that has archetype balance. 3 Scouts, 3 Warriors, 3 Mages, 3 Healers. The current set is very close to that, but would require the following changes: 1 Warrior->Healer, 1 Scout->Mage. The other advantage of doing this is we get more Healers and Mages in the game, which are few compared to Warriors and Scouts (of which we have many). We don't know how the community will react to changing the archetype of their favorite heroes, so I want to release them here as a preview for discussion/debate. If this is not received well by the community, we can easily keep the Warrior and Scout as they are.

So I present to you: Kirga the Mage and Hugo the Healer!

Kirga : the hero ability and heroic feat are exactly what I've already been testing and they work really well as a Scout. I think it works just as well as a Mage.

Kirga2.png?dl=1

Hugo : this is the one case where @rugal and I are thinking about changing the Ability and Feat completely. And you can thank @rugal for these ideas. Ever wanted a Paladin in Descent? Well now you have one. And the abilities are very unique, very interesting, and @rugal assures me this is tested and although on the stronger side it is still well balanced.

Hugo2.png?dl=1

Edited by ComtriS

Kirga as a mage is weird, because of her yellow cape and her bow, and she really not look like a mage at all to me.

And I think there is a trouble on her hero ability. Like it is written, she cannot be targeted at all ? So, no monster ability, no overlord cards, no plot cards, nothing ? Shouldn't it be limited to attacks ? And what about she has a wolf with stalker ? ( Immediately after declaring the target of your attack, you may move your Wolf 1 space.
Additionally, a monster cannot declare your Wolf as the target of an attack if it could legally target a hero figure instead.)

And isn't there a needed rewording ?

About Hugo, I think he can be a healer, like Avric is some sort of paladin healer (but his art should be change, though.
But Hugo ability lacks a important sentence. It should be "Each hero has : Action. Place 1 of your hero's hero token on your hero sheet. You can discard that hero token during your turn to perform an attack. Limit to once token at time "

Same about hero ability. If you want to keep that wording, it should be : "Action : Choose an adjacent hero. Flip that hero's sheet so his feat is avalaible again" but I would use that wording : " Action : Choose 1 adjacent hero. Restore that hero's heroic feat"

21 minutes ago, rugal said:

Kirga as a mage is weird, because of her yellow cape and her bow, and she really not look like a mage at all to me.

And I think there is a trouble on her hero ability. Like it is written, she cannot be targeted at all ? So, no monster ability, no overlord cards, no plot cards, nothing ? Shouldn't it be limited to attacks ? And what about she has a wolf with stalker ? ( Immediately after declaring the target of your attack, you may move your Wolf 1 space.
Additionally, a monster cannot declare your Wolf as the target of an attack if it could legally target a hero figure instead.)

And isn't there a needed rewording ?

Yes, I agree there's some discordance between Kirga's art and the archetype.

And yes, the intent is that she cannot be targeted at all. No monster abilities, no overlord cards, no plot cards, no hero abilities , etc. We tested this out and like I said, it was a lot of fun and pretty well balanced (although a little bit weak, which is why I improved the feat).

You raise a good point about Stalker . This will definitely need to be tested with Kirga as a Battlemage/Beastmaster. However, there are definitely ways to play around that card by repositioning Monsters, so I'm not sure it will be a big issue.

21 minutes ago, rugal said:

About Hugo, I think he can be a healer, like Avric is some sort of paladin healer (but his art should be change, though.
But Hugo ability lacks a important sentence. It should be "Each hero has : Action. Place 1 of your hero's hero token on your hero sheet. You can discard that hero token during your turn to perform an attack. Limit to once token at time "

Same about hero ability. If you want to keep that wording, it should be : "Action : Choose an adjacent hero. Flip that hero's sheet so his feat is avalaible again" but I would use that wording : " Action : Choose 1 adjacent hero. Restore that hero's heroic feat"

It shouldn't be "hero's hero token". Refer to the following cards: Zyla and Tomble, both say "place a hero token".

The wording on the Heroic Feat was chosen from the Rulebook, because there's no precedent for "Restore" anywhere in the game. Below is the section from the rulebook on Heroic Feats:

Heroic Feats

Each hero player has access to a heroic feat as listed on his Hero sheet.
These are powerful, once-per-encounter abilities that let hero players do
something spectacular. Some heroic feats require an action to perform and
are denoted with a �. Regardless of when it is performed, a heroic feat
can only be performed once per encounter. After a hero player performs
his heroic feat, he flips his Hero sheet facedown to indicate that it has
been used during this encounter. At the start of the next encounter, the
hero player flips his Hero sheet so that his heroic feat is available again.

This is the only text in the game that we have to use. "Restore" is not a word that means anything in the game.

Edited by ComtriS
1 hour ago, rugal said:

This is another option that I was experimenting with. Let me know what you think:

Kirga3.png?dl=1

Edited by ComtriS