Missing 12 heroes from Conversion Kit

By rugal, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

1 hour ago, ComtriS said:

Laughin Buldar :

There is updated artwork for Laughin Buldar made by Jordan Kerbow :)

jordan-kerbow-dj50-5690-laughinbuldar-jo

4 minutes ago, Dadler93 said:

There is updated artwork for Laughin Buldar made by Jordan Kerbow :)

Yeah I know, but I didn't quite like it as much as it looks a bit cartoonish to me. Here it is anyway.

Laughin2.png?dl=1

There is some cool idea, especially about Kirga.

But Aurim basic ability is far too strong and his feat break all the balance since it gives you 25 gold per encounter, so at least 100 gold per act !

And Eliam ability should be perform and no make and is nothing really strong since he has brown die for a warrior.

Wording is not correct for Landrec too. Should be : "Each time a hero within 3 spaces of you perform an attack and roll no surge, add 1 surge to that attack results"

Edited by rugal
1 hour ago, rugal said:

There is some cool idea, especially about Kirga.

But Aurim basic ability is far too strong and his feat break all the balance since it gives you 25 gold per encounter, so at least 100 gold per act !

And Eliam ability should be perform and no make and is nothing really strong since he has brown die for a warrior.

Wording is not correct for Landrec too. Should be : "Each time a hero within 3 spaces of you perform an attack and roll no surge, add 1 surge to that attack results"

Thanks, I also really like the way Kirga turned out, but not sure how it will be in practice.

Aurim still has to compete with Healers like Mok. With Aurim CK, people still choose Mok generally.

Eliam: thanks, I'll fix this, it should be "perform". But yes, I was trying to make him unique, have a strong ability, and something that is reminiscent of Eliam. I guess it's not strong enough? I'm actually not sure about this but I think the way it's written it combos with Unstoppable (Skirmisher):

unstoppable.png

Landrec: I'll add "perform" to this. The wording on Landrec was mostly copied from the CK version: "Each time you attack and do not roll at least 1 Surge, gain 1 Surge."

EDIT: For Eliam, how about something a little bit crazy like this: "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped and you roll an X, you may immediately perform another attack with a different weapon against the same target. Double the Heart dealt in this attack."

Edited by ComtriS

CK cards were badly worded.

Maybe players may take Mok over Aurim,but thrust me, he is broken. Once I'm home, I will post some, we will discuss about them 😉

Aurim.jpg

Changed the hero ability so even the power potion can be changed to any of the other two, stamina or health potion, and this way, you have very good options and can be great addition with Ulma

Changed is feat, so, basically, does the same thing as if he uses a potion and affects all hero adjacent but with more versality, so you are not locked on potion

Edited by rugal
8 hours ago, rugal said:

Aurim.jpg

Changed the hero ability so even the power potion can be changed to any of the other two, stamina or health potion, and this way, you have very good options and can be great addition with Ulma

Changed is feat, so, basically, does the same thing as if he uses a potion and affects all hero adjacent but with more versality, so you are not locked on potion

Why would anybody ever use this hero? It's really bad. What class would Aurim be? It's almost better if you reverse the Ability and the Feat.

The question is still for Aurim to be useful he needs Potions -- how does he get potions? He either has to get them himself by searching or the party scout has to search and then give them to him. There's a 50% chance of drawing a Potion from the deck (power potion doesn't count). So out of the 4 search tokens (per encounter), only about 2 of them will be potions on average, assuming the heroes pick all of them up. Let's say 1 Health pot, 1 Stamina pot (which will occur 60% of the time -- 20% of the time 2 health pots, 20% of the time 2 stamina pots). So the question is to compare him to other healers, how much benefit do other healers bring and how much can an 1 AoE Health Pot + 1 AoE Stamina Pot do? The most critical use for Aurim that I've seen is at the beginning of the 2nd encounter when everybody is injured and starts together. He can use both the Health Pot + Stamina Pot to AoE full heal everyone. That's a pretty useful ability. It's less useful throughout the 2nd encounter when heroes are less likely to be adjacent.

I did some more math to calculate if heros draw 4 search cards what potions they should expect to get (no Treasure Hunter):

27.3% 1 of each Potion (2 total)
24.2% 1 Potion
21.8% 2 of one, 1 of the other (3 total)
18.2% 2 of one (2 total)
3.0% 0 Potions
2.4% 3 of one (3 total)
1.8% 2 of each (4 total)
1.2% 3 of one, 1 of the other (4 total)

Now I don't tally up how much benefit Mok hands out, but it's often 2-4 health/fatigue per round and I would guess the average encounter is 6 rounds? So I would estimate ~18 total health/fatigue from Mok's Hero Ability alone.

This is an alternative that doesn't gain any gold, if that's the main issue you have:

Aurim2.png?dl=1

Edited by ComtriS

I have already use my version of this hero and he is really strong, believe me : hacking 5 move and 5 stamina is strong, and you have many possibilities for giving/finding potions.

Having is base ability to affect all heroes with potion is stupidily broken. I used hum like that and we immediately ban him for this.

Example : you have 4 heroes and 1 stamina potion and 1 health potion. Mage hero use his home power ans put himself full fatigue and ends his turn adjacent to Aurim, same for warrior and scout and then as a single action, each hero recover all health and all stamina. Full. And they can do this 3 times a quest ! No feat can do suce stupidily strong thing, none. Mok compared to this is nothing.

You never played him, indeed.

And please forget this ugly bad cutter artwork

Gold is an issue, but affecting each hero adjacent for free is another one.

Maybe :

"when you use a potion, 1 adjacent hero is also affected"

or

"when you use a potion, for each heart and or fatigue you recover, each adjacent hero recover that same amount"

but as he now, forget it, he IS broken !

Edited by rugal
23 minutes ago, rugal said:

I have already use my version of this hero and he is really strong, believe me : hacking 5 move and 5 stamina is strong, and you have many possibilities for giving/finding potions.

Having is base ability to affect all heroes with potion is stupidily broken. I used hum like that and we immediately ban him for this.

Example : you have 4 heroes and 1 stamina potion and 1 health potion. Mage hero use his home power ans put himself full fatigue and ends his turn adjacent to Aurim, same for warrior and scout and then as a single action, each hero recover all health and all stamina. Full. And they can do this 3 times a quest ! No feat can do suce stupidily strong thing, none. Mok compared to this is nothing.

You never played him, indeed.

And please forget this ugly bad cutter artwork

Gold is an issue, but affecting each hero adjacent for free is another one.

Maybe :

"when you use a potion, 1 adjacent hero is also affected"

or

"when you use a potion, for each heart and or fatigue you recover, each adjacent hero recover that same amount"

but as he now, forget it, he IS broken !

Let me test out some of these changes and get back to you with what I think. You act like he has access to all these potions all the time, which is simply not the case. Heroes have to actively get the potions. They have to get themselves in position to use them. Yes, they can fatigue themselves out, and then use it. But the fatigue potion is strong on its own anyway, I think you're forgetting that. Aurim as printed is incredibly strong, I don't disagree with that point, but I don't think he's as "broken" as Logan/Treasure Hunter, and I don't think Logan/Treasure Hunter is a problem (but maybe you do?)

Besides talking about Aurim, do you have any comments about the rest of the characters?

Brother-Glyr-Sheet-face.jpg

Brother Glyr new artwork works fine, I don't see why you use that other one, I love the way he is now !

Edited by rugal
2 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

Besides talking about Aurim, do you have any comments about the rest of the characters?

Most of the others were my ideas, so no LOL !

6 minutes ago, rugal said:

Brother-Glyr-Sheet-face.jpg

Brother Glyr new artwork works fine, I don't see why you use that other one, I love the way he is now !

They're both new artwork of Brother Glyr, aren't they?

Just now, ComtriS said:

They're both new artwork of Brother Glyr, aren't they?

Nope, the other was used as a "simple" random dwarf

23 minutes ago, rugal said:

Nope, the other was used as a "simple" random dwarf

Oh okay, I'll fix this, thanks.

EDIT: fixed

Edited by ComtriS

I have remained silent within this thread, and many, many others, but I am so effing annoyed, I finally have to say something ...

@rugal , you come across so negative, it is stunning. If something is not YOUR idea, it is instantly bad. Your approach is similar to many bullies. When others provide their ideas, I cannot remember a single time your approach was anything but completely negative, shooting down their thought processes, etc. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't completely destructive rather constructive with your criticism. I cannot ever imagine wanting to work with you on any collaborative effort, as if it doesn't end up being all about you, your thoughts, and ultimately your way, you would simply either slam all the ideas or give up and leave the effort.

Who appointed you G-d when it comes to D2e? Who anointed you the end all, be all authority when it comes to this, or any game for that matter?

I have found issues with MANY of your ideas, but rather than approach them with a negative attitude, I have always tried to be constructive, and if at all critical, tried to mitigate the impact of my words, and provide encouragement. If I couldn't find any way to do either, I simply said nothing. Much like I was taught to do growing up ...

You are the complete opposite.

I can provide hundreds of links with examples of your negativity, your destructive behavior, your complete self-absorbed, self-importance ...

Please do us all a favor and tone down your approach to things you don't like, or didn't think of first. People such as @ComtriS spend a lot of time investing in efforts to help the community ... your attitude can very likely make them give up, or simply stop sharing, and in both cases, we (that includes YOU) as a community lose. And if you think I am imaging this, you are very wrong. There are at least 3 community members whom I know, within this forum that used to share extensively, and stopped solely because of your poor attitude.

It is quite frankly why I don't share some of my work here. Perhaps I should have shared these feelings a long time ago, providing you feedback, so that things maybe would have improved. Perhaps that is my failing ... but your continuing destructive nature as a part of this community is one that I can no longer stand by, remain silent, and tolerate.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, ComtriS said:

Mad Carthos: Unchanged from @Zaltyre 's version

FFG CK abilities:

Hero Ability: Once per turn, when you use a skill that costs 1 Fatigue, reduce the cost to 0 Fatigue.

Heroic Feat: Action: Perform an attack with a Magic weapon. This attack deals +3 Heart.

Carthos.png?dl=1

I like these ideas so much, that I want to try them right away. One question regarding this Mad Carthos - how about him as Elementalist - wouldn't be a bit OP as he could literally use all his skills without ever spending a single FP?

Edited by kbalazsa
1 hour ago, kbalazsa said:

I like these ideas so much, that I want to try them right away. One question regarding this Mad Carthos - how about him as Elementalist - wouldn't be a bit OP as he could literally use all his skills without ever spending a single FP?

You are right about that. Elementalist was released after this Mad Carthos version came up. Maybe limiting it to the first 2 skills that cost 1 fatigue per round o r something like that? Idk

Edited by Dadler93
8 hours ago, any2cards said:

I have remained silent within this thread, and many, many others, but I am so effing annoyed, I finally have to say something ...

@rugal , you come across so negative, it is stunning. If something is not YOUR idea, it is instantly bad. Your approach is similar to many bullies. When others provide their ideas, I cannot remember a single time your approach was anything but completely negative, shooting down their thought processes, etc. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't completely destructive rather constructive with your criticism. I cannot ever imagine wanting to work with you on any collaborative effort, as if it doesn't end up being all about you, your thoughts, and ultimately your way, you would simply either slam all the ideas or give up and leave the effort.

Who appointed you G-d when it comes to D2e? Who anointed you the end all, be all authority when it comes to this, or any game for that matter?

I have found issues with MANY of your ideas, but rather than approach them with a negative attitude, I have always tried to be constructive, and if at all critical, tried to mitigate the impact of my words, and provide encouragement. If I couldn't find any way to do either, I simply said nothing. Much like I was taught to do growing up ...

You are the complete opposite.

I can provide hundreds of links with examples of your negativity, your destructive behavior, your complete self-absorbed, self-importance ...

Please do us all a favor and tone down your approach to things you don't like, or didn't think of first. People such as @ComtriS spend a lot of time investing in efforts to help the community ... your attitude can very likely make them give up, or simply stop sharing, and in both cases, we (that includes YOU) as a community lose. And if you think I am imaging this, you are very wrong. There are at least 3 community members whom I know, within this forum that used to share extensively, and stopped solely because of your poor attitude.

It is quite frankly why I don't share some of my work here. Perhaps I should have shared these feelings a long time ago, providing you feedback, so that things maybe would have improved. Perhaps that is my failing ... but your continuing destructive nature as a part of this community is one that I can no longer stand by, remain silent, and tolerate.

Yes, you are right. Sorry, but that's how I am. If we were in french and without screens, I would surely be more like you're searching, but it is not.

And I admit it, I don't know how to congratulate someone, as I am not at ease when someone congratulate me ...

I can come no more if you ask me to

Edited by rugal

Mad Carthos is a good that way, I used to play it often, only his feat seems strange to me, I don't see the point with having damage bonus for a feat and stamina reduction (and as runemaster, he cannot use break the rune without a stamina bonus)

3 minutes ago, rugal said:

Yes, you are right. Sorry, but that's how I am. If we were in french and without screens, I would surely be more like you're searching, but it is not.

I can come no more if you ask me to

No. I want you to continue to be a member of this forum ... your enthusiasm, your ideas, your love of all D2e is a major plus ...

Just please, when critiquing others and their work, try to approach it from a more constructive position ...

1 minute ago, any2cards said:

No. I want you to continue to be a member of this forum ... your enthusiasm, your ideas, your love of all D2e is a major plus ...

Just please, when critiquing others and their work, try to approach it from a more constructive position ...

In english, on top of that, no so sure I can ... I'm a perfectionnist that only love perfect things 😕

In such creative processes many sides will have differences of opinion- often strong, one person loves an artwork, or a stat/value, or an ability, or a rule........ another hates it, someone else is somewhere in the middle

As designers sometimes that can even be directed at your own work if something's refusing to work how you'd hoped and you're trying to fix that or you're limited by resources or trying to balance conflicting feedback where you've an option to decide on etc

It can actually be better if someone says I don't like a and b and c and d than stays silent even though that may sound a bit like a long list of complaints as it's part of the process but it is best done with kindness as people put a lot of work into this (trust me I know)

But likewise it's worth if you are creating stuff not taking any criticism personally even if it seems really harsh, weighing it up, seeing if any of it's valid and if/how you might cater for disagreements- someone passionately or even aggressively tearing your work to pieces probably isn't trolling you, they're just maybe splurging out their opinions too vocally and in the unfiltered way the internet can sometimes encourage- I'm sure many of us have typed first reflected later at some times. Most creative types know, if you make stuff, somebody somewhere will always berate it but not to get disheartened by it- somebody else probably loves it or sometimes you'll be 'oh, actually now you say that I can kind of see your point...' - you can't please everyone all the time with every work but you can use the feedback where it's helpful if needed, it's even ok to say I'm not sure of this yet so you and your group of players may wish to do this a different way.

I don't think there's anything wrong with tweaking stuff to your player group if things that different people can't agree on or that aren't yet decided on for a final choice are the best fit for you and your players or having certain suggestions with custom stuff if there's no consensus- sometimes even designers won't be sure of the best answer which could be things like 'if you feel x is too powerful then you could....', if you like someone's custom card but hate the art change it when you make it for your use etc.

Maybe log some of the feedback- even if it seems wrong or over-critical, maybe you playtest it and there's a problem somewhere- this log might show you the problem, if you have time and aren't sure about something maybe playtest the alternatives- creatives could also make alternatives part of a finished design. One point where it might be worth doing so is if someone who's a community regular doesn't like something maybe you can do a tweak for them if you wanted, such extra effort might not be wasted as it may take quite a lot of playtests to get to the 'this is definitely the best version I think' so it gives you alternatives to test out in play., and some of the dislike might just be people hitting or spotting the likely broken bits until that 'what really works in play' process is complete, so it might be wise to also expect early versions to be received less well and need some tweaking. Thus even if you disagree with some feedback you could still playtest that variant.

But above all agree to disagree sometimes- there will be disagreements and debates which could get quite heated over certain things as there's so much passion on both sides of the table player/designer wise but we're all friends doing this from the same focus of interest hobbies-wise so if someone ever says the wrong thing or maybe slightly oversteps the mark just treat it like they won a game you were playing and never speak to them ever again (non-jokingly I mean of course remain best of buddies still, or at least frenemies :) )

14 hours ago, kbalazsa said:

Please try them! Mad Carthos as an Elementalist is an obvious choice, but the question is how good it is.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, rugal said:

I have now updated Eliam's ability, take a look.

"While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may immediately perform an attack with a different weapon that targets a different figure."

This makes Eliam a fearsome Skirmisher and much stronger for a brown-die Warrior. I think he competes with Orkell now.

Eliam: 5/12/5, Brown, 3/3/2/3

Ability: "While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may immediately perform an attack with a different weapon that targets a different figure."

Feat: "Use when an adjacent figure targets you with an attack. Perform an attack targeting it. Until the start of your next turn, repeat this each time you are attacked."

Orkell: 5/10/5, Brown, 2/4/1/4

Ability: "Each time you are attacked by a monster and suffer at least 1 Heart, you may move 1 space after the attack."

Feat: "Use during your turn, while you are knocked out, to perform a stand up action. Then, you may either recover all Heart or move each monster adjacent to your figure 1 space. You can still perform 2 actions this turn."

I also updated Hugo, as it looks like he's weak compared to Trenloe. Keep in mind that Hugo and Trenloe have identical stats (3/12/3, 4/4/1/2). The only difference is that Hugo has a black die, where Trenloe has a grey die. A black die is worth on average +0.8 shield than a grey die. But Trenloe also has an innate +1 block on defense and +1 damage on his attacks. So Hugo needs to make up for that with an additional +0.2 block, and needs something more for the +1 damage on attacks. Let's ignore Heroic Feats for now.

Doing the math on rerolls, he only adds +0.4 on a reroll on average if you blanket reroll everything below a 3 on your 1 black die. Even at 2 black dice, that's still only +0.8 on average. Still not as good as Trenloe's +1 shield. You would have to get Stone Armor before it's better than Trenloe at +1.2. The other advantage you can get is consistency to avoid blank rolls, and you get to reroll after seeing the attack/defense results.

So I removed the requirement that Hugo can't move to be allowed to reroll, as I think this is just getting in the way of getting him up to par. I also think he needs one more stat increase to make up for the lack of the +1 damage on attacks. It would be good for him to have +1 fatigue, especially as a Knight with no other way to recover fatigue.

If we look at Trenloe's and Hugo's Heroic Feat they're actually somewhat comparable, so I think we can actually leave this be.

Thus his new Hero Ability is: "You may reroll each of your defense dice once each time you are attacked."

And his Fatigue changes from 3 -> 4 .

Edited by ComtriS

I have now updated Eliam's ability, take a look.

"While you have 2 Melee weapons equipped, each time you attack a figure and do not roll an X, you may immediately perform an attack with a different weapon that targets a different figure."

This makes Eliam a fearsome Skirmisher and much stronger for a brown-die Warrior.

So, you give the 2xp skill unreleting from the Marshal as his native hero ability ? Isn't this a bit too strong ? And as a skirmisher, he can do 3 attack for only 1 action ? Seems pretty far too strong to me and I don't like same abilities.

You didn't like my idea ? Giving him +1 heart for each resolved attack ? So, as an example, for his 1st attack a turn, +0, the second +1, etc ... and it could merge well with his feat making him fearsome.

If you wish to keep his ability based on 2 weapons, then ... I have no idea right now but let us brainstorm

I also updated Hugo, as it looks like he's weak compared to Trenloe. Keep in mind that Hugo and Trenloe have identical stats (3/12/3, 4/4/1/2). The only difference is that Hugo has a black die, where Trenloe has a grey die. A black die is worth on average +0.8 shield than a grey die. But Trenloe also has an innate +1 block on defense and +1 damage on his attacks. So Hugo needs to make up for that with an additional +0.2 block, and needs something more for the +1 damage on attacks. Let's ignore Heroic Feats for now.

Doing the math on rerolls, he only adds +0.4 on a reroll on average if you blanket reroll everything below a 3 on your 1 black die. Even at 2 black dice, that's still only +0.8 on average. Still not as good as Trenloe's +1 shield. You would have to get Stone Armor before it's better than Trenloe at +1.2. The other advantage you can get is consistency to avoid blank rolls, and you get to reroll after seeing the attack/defense results.

So I removed the requirement that Hugo can't move to be allowed to reroll, as I think this is just getting in the way of getting him up to par. I also think he needs one more stat increase to make up for the lack of the +1 damage on attacks. It would be good for him to have +1 fatigue, especially as a Knight with no other way to recover fatigue.

If we look at Trenloe's and Hugo's Heroic Feat they're actually somewhat comparable, so I think we can actually leave this be.

Thus his new Hero Ability is: "You may reroll each of your defense dice once each time you are attacked."

And his Fatigue changes from 3 -> 4 .

You point is right. I do think that Trenloe is a bit too strong in the first place and should have a black die instead of +1 shield and +1 heart only on melee weapons.

But removing the moving condition is a good point I think. What about "Each time you roll a black defense die, you can reroll it once". So, this way, Hugo is almost assured to avoid the 0 on his defense dice. And maybe adding +2 health to compensate ?

Not sure about the + 1 stamina. Need to think more about it.

To be honest, since there is already many warrior heroes and since I don't like Hugo, I've putted him away. But I like you idea, so you may find a way.

4 minutes ago, rugal said:

So, you give the 2xp skill unreleting from the Marshal as his native hero ability ? Isn't this a bit too strong ? And as a skirmisher, he can do 3 attack for only 1 action ? Seems pretty far too strong to me and I don't like same abilities.

You didn't like my idea ? Giving him +1 heart for each resolved attack ? So, as an example, for his 1st attack a turn, +0, the second +1, etc ... and it could merge well with his feat making him fearsome.

If you wish to keep his ability based on 2 weapons, then ... I have no idea right now but let us brainstorm

I'm not sure if it's too strong. I agree that it's strong though, and it requires the Overlord to definitely plan around more than anything else. But that's just like AoE. Is it really better than a Runemaster? Runemaster can attack 8 monsters with blast if Overlord lets him. Also the ability is different from Unrelenting, though it's similar -- Unrelenting says "one of the same monsters" while this is "a different figure".

I don't like the change you made to Eliam. There are two reasons. 1) it's far too weak. Again, if you compare it to Trenloe, it's significantly weaker and Trenloe has a grey die (not a brown die). 2) my goal (and I think our goal as a community) should be to make minimal changes to the CK cards as much as we possibly can. So if it's possible to keep the spirit of the card, keep the stats, keep hero ability, keep the heroic feat, and just make minor tweaks to make it work that would be ideal. The reason for this is because it seems like that's exactly what FFG did with all the H&M packs for the CK cards. They mostly just did minor tweaks to balance the cards. I think that should be our goal as well.

4 minutes ago, rugal said:

You point is right. I do think that Trenloe is a bit too strong in the first place and should have a black die instead of +1 shield and +1 heart only on melee weapons.

But removing the moving condition is a good point I think. What about "Each time you roll a black defense die, you can reroll it once". So, this way, Hugo is almost assured to avoid the 0 on his defense dice. And maybe adding +2 health to compensate ?

Not sure about the + 1 stamina. Need to think more about it.

To be honest, since there is already many warrior heroes and since I don't like Hugo, I've putted him away. But I like you idea, so you may find a way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too strong"? Trenloe is one of the strongest Warriors, yes. But we're not here to change him. We're here to balance these CK cards in the presence of Trenloe, One-Fist, Mordrog, Syndrael, etc. Otherwise, like you say, people will just throw Hugo in the box. Hugo should be unique / different enough, and still not be so broken that he causes people to ignore Trenloe, One-Fist, Mordrog, Syndrael, etc.

About your suggestion: "Each time you roll a black defense die, you can reroll it once" -- I think this is far too restrictive. It's basically requiring that the heroes dig for Stone Armor. Maybe they'll get it and Hugo will be happy. Maybe they won't and Hugo will be miserable. What issue do you have with rerolling all defense dice?

And yes, I was back and forth between +2 health and +1 fatigue. I wasn't sure which. However, I decided on the +1 fatigue, because if you look at what class to play as Hugo he really fits Knight the best and Knights need the fatigue. This does a lot more for him than the +2 health. And it's one thing that can actually separate him from Trenloe, even though he won't have quite as much fatigue as Syndrael or Mordrog.

Remember, he actually needs to not be thrown into the box and forgotten about.