Missing 12 heroes from Conversion Kit

By rugal, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So we played the Army of Dal'Zunm today. We decided to make it a bit more difficult by adding randomness for the Zombies movement - a dice decided which path each Zombie starts his journey. So we had to split with the heroes and that made it really hard - especially when they had the bonus +2 speed (10 spaces in 1 turn). Changelings behind our back, Zombies everywhere, Zachareth and Belthir and soon enough Ettins also... Thanks to Changelings, Scorpion's Kiss and Perils we were full of conditions all the time, poisoned, immobilized, terrified or bleeding. It was tough, but we won.

Brother Glyr - and an Elven Boots, is a perfect match. His Trident was just the top of the cake - until he got a Terrify condition.

Buldar - what a luck, he found a Grinding Axe from a search... even if Landrec wasn't close during this quest he did a massive job with that weapon. Killed a Red Ettin with one big swing (13 Damage - Mana Weave, Dual Strike, Keen Edge, 3 Surge = +5 Damage +2 Pierce)... and after the quest, he's got the Unstoppable ... he'll be really unstoppable I believe. Still he should be restricted to have only 1 two-handed weapon at a time.

Landrec: "Once per turn, when a hero within 3 space performs an attack and rolls no Surge, add 1 Surge to the results." - seems working fine, but a bit strong maybe. But Buldar doesn't care, he's Laughing as never before with his Grinding Axe and Mana Weave in his hands.

Bogran: His heroic feat is a headache. A feat which could be turned against a hero by a smart OL is not the best. I thinking on a feat similar like Rugal's version, but without bonding the hero token to another figure, Like: "-> Remove your figure from the map and replace it with your hero token. At the start of your next turn, move your hero token up to 3 spaces, discard that token, place your figure to the same space and perform an attack." - like he's moving in the shadows.

Some questions were raised during the game:

- Glyr and his fellow hero partner both immobilized. Is this valid that yet Glyr still can move 2-2 spaces himself and the other hero? As no movement action was involved. And Glyr with his Elven Boots +1 more. Immobilized is not that bad for Glyr it seems. And it's the same with Okaluk and Rakash.

It's not belong to this thread, but an interesting question:

- Can the Soul Reaper use Stream of Life + Blight extraction with 0 essence, 0 healing, just to remove a condition? Even if he or she doesn't have a single essence on Essence Harvest?

Edited by kbalazsa

Yes, Glyr can move the 2 selected heroes 2 spaces

Yes, Bogran feat has many troubles : what happens if the monster moves out far, dies etc ... but move 3 and attack with Pierce 2 is already on Nara. I'm on this one already

14 minutes ago, rugal said:

but move 3 and attack with Pierce 2 is already on Nara. I'm on this one already

Yes it's very similar, could work. The difference is, that Bogran has to do 1 turn ahead, but in exchange for that he's getting immunity for the attacks that comes next.

2 hours ago, kbalazsa said:

Yes it's very similar, could work. The difference is, that Bogran has to do 1 turn ahead, but in exchange for that he's getting immunity for the attacks that comes next.

maybe something easier, like his CK feat was, but with more flexibility :

"use after pour performed an attack. Replace your figure with a hero token. At the start of your next turn, replace your hero token with your figure"

basically the same, action less, attack

What do you think of the guy on the left for Aurim ?

d2xrfaq-0795292f-23e7-487d-9e22-e89f5544

10 hours ago, rugal said:

What do you think of the guy on the left for Aurim ?

IMHO it's not bad, but he looks more like a fighter than a healer. I still like your first -dropbox - version more.

Edited by kbalazsa
3 hours ago, kbalazsa said:

IMHO it's not bad, but he looks more like a fighter than a healer. I still like your first -dropbox - version more.

I do like more the second artwork

I made a quick version of Aurim with new character art that fits Rugals version.
I think this guy looks like a dude who scours through search decks and hands out potions.

I have not found a mini that fits yet :)
It might be possible to do something with this figue .
Maybe finding the mini first and modifying art later would be a better idea.

ixUGXBS.jpg

I made changes to this picture.

EDIT: After Rugal's comment below, I made a change so Aurim only picks one potion per quest but flip it faceup at the end of each encounter. This way you don't go through the Search deck as easily.

kMKp8MW.jpg

Edited by Dadler93
18 hours ago, Dadler93 said:

I made a quick version of Aurim with new character art that fits Rugals version.
I think this guy looks like a dude who scours through search decks and hands out potions.

I have not found a mini that fits yet :)
It might be possible to do something with this figue .
Maybe finding the mini first and modifying art later would be a better idea.

ixUGXBS.jpg

I made changes to this picture.

I'm really impressed by your art work, this is really great ! The hero ability has a little trouble since it allow to find the chest easier, but some tests are needed !

For the figure, with hero forge, should be easy to do

Edited by rugal

Aren't Aurim's ability and feat reversed in your pictures ?

38 minutes ago, Francesco Lamas said:

Aren't Aurim's ability and feat reversed in your pictures ?

yes, almost, but Aurim CK version was way to powerfull to my experience

Okey I found this Orc thief mini .

0eeyDS2.jpg

..and made this. I am not very happy with this one to be honest but I guess it was worth the try.

cALZHti.jpg

The art does not really fit Descent in my opinion. I'll might make another try at some point later. :)

7 minutes ago, Dadler93 said:

Okey I found this Orc thief mini .

0eeyDS2.jpg

..and made this. I am not very happy with this one to be honest but I guess it was worth the try.

cALZHti.jpg

The art does not really fit Descent in my opinion. I'll might make another try at some point later. :)

Seemed to fit for me but then I've been with Terrinoth games long enough to have experienced quite a variety of art styles- I think part of why it seemed a fit for me is it suits Bogran fairly well, especially the teeth

https://www.descentinthedark.com/_b_/bogran_the_shadow.php

On 10/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, rugal said:

Brother-Glyr-Sheet-face.jpg

Brother Glyr new artwork works fine, I don't see why you use that other one, I love the way he is now !

I really like this image. Figure-wise for my proxies of choice I'm almost certainly going to use the dwarves from LOTR Journeys Shadowed Paths for Glyr and Shadar- Glyr actually fits quite well (the thing that made it for me though was the raven on his shoulder!) Might even use the big monster for the overlord. Well, one of its appearances anyway :)

On 12/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, kbalazsa said:

And this one for Bogran the Shadow :

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Half-Orc-Assassin_1

There seems to be an actual well fitting artwork for this mini!

7440402626dd9a95cb7c586c6c12541b.jpg zo0DwlQqad6-rSZe2TNlESIex--kzJoqEAPU-4b0

I say I have found my Bogran!

How big is the mini compared to Descent heroes? It looks quite detailed.

Edit: Reduced number of knifes on his chest to 1 so it matches the mini and made his mask red to be more Bogran-like. I can make his mask silver again if you prefer. :)

7otx9gr.jpg

Edited by Dadler93
3 hours ago, Dadler93 said:

How big is the mini compared to Descent heroes? It looks quite detailed.

Your picture is a perfect match, well done :) Although there is no agreement regarding his heroic feat yet. I like Rugal's first version but with a bit of modification which he doesn't like :)

I've made a photo but can't attach it here now for some reason... Why I cannot attach pictures???

50 minutes ago, kbalazsa said:

Your picture is a perfect match, well done :) Although there is no agreement regarding his heroic feat yet. I like Rugal's first version but with a bit of modification which he doesn't like :)

I've made a photo but can't attach it here now for some reason... Why I cannot attach pictures???

Ok, I'm uploading the the hero sheet on my last post without any ability text for now.

I upload my images to imgur and copy the image link and paste it here.

Edited by Dadler93

Hugo-the-glorious.jpg

Found this art for Hugo the glorious, what do you think guys ? (with a bit revised ability)

Comes from Legacy of dragonholt (but this special case, he would really fit as a healer with this look)

Edited by rugal

You guys have your own test system going, but I can't help but notice there is a an ability quite similar (though a bit weaker) to this version of Hugo on Ravaella Lightfoot:

If you roll 1 or more blanks when rolling defense dice, add 1 (shield) to your defense results.

His heroic feat could be worded a bit more explicitly:

Use at the start of your turn.This turn, after you roll dice for an attack, double the (wound) results.

The above clarifies when the doubling happens. If the intent is to double ALL wound on the attack, it would be:

"Use at the start of your turn.This turn, before dealing damage for an attack, double the (wound) results."

Edited by Zaltyre
5 hours ago, Zaltyre said:

You guys have your own test system going, but I can't help but notice there is a an ability quite similar (though a bit weaker) to this version of Hugo on Ravaella Lightfoot

You're right, have to find another one then.

You don't have to find another one necessarily. I'd say either find another one or consider making them identical (or a fixed "...add 2 shields...") I'd find it hard to justify that for mage Ravaella blank= +1, while for Hugo, blank = +4 (both native black die heroes). I put a chart below to illustrate the results probability for a single black die with no modifier, and with +1, +2, or +4 ("your choice") on a blank result.

Black_dieroll.png

Edited by Zaltyre