PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: OOC

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

@MrTInce @RuusMarev

I've made an IC post where Mireska advises Jorin, meditates, then ends her own meditation with the realization that she can find kyber crystals nearby.

Do you want any changes, or would you prefer that I cut the IC post into smaller posts? Please let me know.

@EliasWindrider

From what you've said earlier, I'm assuming that now's the right time for the Jedi to find those Christophsis crystals.

Do you want to toss any game mechanics/other hindrances in the characters' way, or may we just dig them up from the roots of the biggest tree in the grove*?

* Kind of like potatoes! :D

16 hours ago, Bellona said:

@MrTInce

I made the small jump/assumption between Mireska being described as comming Ker'see (a previous post) and the two of them attending the pre-sunset funeral together (my own IC post).

That's fine, thank you.

@Bellona beat me too it :D

Best Hello There GIFs | Gfycat

4 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

@Bellona beat me too it :D

Best Hello There GIFs | Gfycat

Someone used that line earlier on the IC thread ... for some reason I thought that it was Jorin or Ker'see (maybe it was another Jedi character? Probably not a clone ... ?).

@RuusMarev @MrTInce

Thanks for the roleplaying! :)

I'll have to wait with any necessary dice rolls for the moment, i.e. go AFFFG (Away From FFG), seeing as I've promised the next few hours online to a friend who wants to play the new challenge league in Path of Exile.

1 minute ago, Bellona said:

@RuusMarev @MrTInce

Thanks for the roleplaying! :)

I'll have to wait with any necessary dice rolls for the moment, i.e. go AFFFG (Away From FFG), seeing as I've promised the next few hours online to a friend who wants to play the new challenge league in Path of Exile.

Twas fun. Luckily I already have a hilt :D

1 minute ago, MrTInce said:

Twas fun. Luckily I already have a hilt :D

How clean was that crystal when Ker'see put it in? :)

@EliasWindrider is Spanner awake or anyone on duty in the work shop? (or is Jorin just going to collect items and wait for Spanner to 'sign off' on the parts Jorin finds?)

(He will be taking more parts than needed to rebuild his old style saber and shoto.. He would like to experiment with some designs in the future.)

4 hours ago, Bellona said:

@MrTInce @RuusMarev

I've made an IC post where Mireska advises Jorin, meditates, then ends her own meditation with the realization that she can find kyber crystals nearby.

Do you want any changes, or would you prefer that I cut the IC post into smaller posts? Please let me know.

@EliasWindrider

From what you've said earlier, I'm assuming that now's the right time for the Jedi to find those Christophsis crystals.

Do you want to toss any game mechanics/other hindrances in the characters' way, or may we just dig them up from the roots of the biggest tree in the grove*?

* Kind of like potatoes! :D

Narrative only. It'll initially be clear and take on your preferred color after you attune them. Going with the quasi moodring lightsaber color theory. But no black lightsabers other than the darksaber.

Edited by EliasWindrider
20 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

@EliasWindrider is Spanner awake or anyone on duty in the work shop? (or is Jorin just going to collect items and wait for Spanner to 'sign off' on the parts Jorin finds?)

(He will be taking more parts than needed to rebuild his old style saber and shoto.. He would like to experiment with some designs in the future.)

Sure (Spanner was scavenging parts for a droid/cyber arm)

Edited by EliasWindrider

@EliasWindrider , there were clone ARF troopers who scouted out the Teth monastery. Perhaps that can be Camouflage and the Varactyls? If this is becoming a line battle, Camo and his men would be better used elsewhere. They could scout out the location while the Jedi wrap up their op here, then either wait for the Jedi, prepare for the Jedi, or exfil and rejoin the Jedi before the Teth raid.

@EliasWindrider (i know you are busy..) Will Spanner answer or should Jorin "find" a bin marked "for Jedi" and start browsing? :D

2 hours ago, RuusMarev said:

@EliasWindrider (i know you are busy..) Will Spanner answer or should Jorin "find" a bin marked "for Jedi" and start browsing? :D

You can write dialogue for spanner... just give him a southern drawl.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

@EliasWindrider , there were clone ARF troopers who scouted out the Teth monastery. Perhaps that can be Camouflage and the Varactyls? If this is becoming a line battle, Camo and his men would be better used elsewhere. They could scout out the location while the Jedi wrap up their op here, then either wait for the Jedi, prepare for the Jedi, or exfil and rejoin the Jedi before the Teth raid.

That's fine.... was ARF a typo/did you mean ARC?

@Bellona , as a southerner, ouch.
Also, it's not too inaccurate. :D

It also depends on what part of the south you are from as to whether it's more hard Rs, or if the Rs get cut out ("Shur are" vs. "Sho' am, or "Yer laightsaber" vs. "Yo lai'saba"), and then there's "Henasun." :D
There are a few locations that have particularly unique dialects, and Henderson is one of them.
This is a finer point I'm not as clear on, but there are also dialectic differences based on race. Cutting out the Rs seems to be more common among black people, while harder Rs are more prevalent among white people.

Ruus had it with more the hard Rs, so maybe try something like this...
"Sure is. I 'ave a buncha BARCs ta fix. Young Jor'n saidya'd be by fer some spare parts... Dey're in those tree bins over dere, Gen'ral."

Also, an important thing to remember when writing accents is that they are not consistent. Language (dialects in particular) is a flow, so words sound different depending on what precedes them (or even follows after) and on their position in the sentence. In my experience, it is often the case that multiple words with a "th" sound at the beginning end up being said multiple different ways in the same sentence. Often changed to "D" and "T" sounds (the latter usually before an R).

And unless you're really, really playing something up or the person has some speaking impedibet lige a stu-y dose, don'd change the spelling of every word, or even most, unless they really need it. Word choice itself is important, but also giving your reader an idea of the language and letting them add inflection to the words that are close. Like "Some" vs. "Sum." If you have enough of the correct words properly inflected, they'll read it in the correct accent without a flag saying "read this differently." For example, in the earlier part where I was comparing pronunciations of "Sure are," I used "Shur," but then didn't later on. In that case, I needed that flag emphasizing the phonetic pronunciation, but I didn't in the later usage.

And I'm getting carried away with this, but one more thing: cut out the spaces or apostrophize some words. "Said you'd" is typically said quickly and together, so: "saidya'd."

I'm no linguist, but this is stuff I've picked up over many years listening to southerners speak, reading accents, and picking up tips on writing. Funnily enough, most of the books I read with accents were British accents of some variety, but the series had a variety of different dialects, so I picked up a lot.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

@P-47 Thunderbolt

Thank you for the explanation!

(For the sake of my sanity, I'll just copy/paste your suggestion and leave it at that. And hope that someone other than me will write Spanner's part in the future!)

Mireska's first attempt to re-create her old hilt, using her Jedi Multi-Tool (+1 Advantage) and Secrets of the Jedi talent ...

LSa crafting for Std Hilt replacement (Secrets of the Jedi, JMT) : 2eP+2eA+1eD 0 successes, 3 advantage
p--.png p-a-a.png a-s-s.png a-a.png d-f-f.png

Final Result: 0 Successes, 4 Advantages.

6 hours, no result ... and 4 Advantages which can't be used for anything except possibly getting a good night's sleep despite the lack of success. :(

... So she gets to bed late, feeling very frustrated (at least, until she manages a calming meditation before falling asleep.

Next morning's attempt (possibly after rummaging around a bit more in Spanner's bins) ...

LSa crafting for Std Hilt replacement (Secrets of the Jedi, JMT) : 2eP+2eA+1eD 5 successes
p-s.png p-s-s.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-f.png

Final Result: 5 Successes, 1 Advantage.

1 hour, and a very plain Standard Hilt ... and 1 Advantage which can't be used for anything on a hilt like that. *rolls eyes*

... So she makes a bog-standard Standard Hilt.

Unless there's a crisis, Mireska will meditate with the new crystal until it becomes a blue-green similar to the Healers' working uniform, then place it in the new lightsabre hilt and test it.

Will there be time to modify the new crystal while we're still on Christophsis?

20 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Mireska's first attempt to re-create her old hilt, using her Jedi Multi-Tool (+1 Advantage) and Secrets of the Jedi talent ...

LSa crafting for Std Hilt replacement (Secrets of the Jedi, JMT) : 2eP+2eA+1eD 0 successes, 3 advantage
p--.png p-a-a.png a-s-s.png a-a.png d-f-f.png

Final Result: 0 Successes, 4 Advantages.

6 hours, no result ... and 4 Advantages which can't be used for anything except possibly getting a good night's sleep despite the lack of success. :(

... So she gets to bed late, feeling very frustrated (at least, until she manages a calming meditation before falling asleep.

Next morning's attempt (possibly after rummaging around a bit more in Spanner's bins) ...

LSa crafting for Std Hilt replacement (Secrets of the Jedi, JMT) : 2eP+2eA+1eD 5 successes
p-s.png p-s-s.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-f.png

Final Result: 5 Successes, 1 Advantage.

1 hour, and a very plain Standard Hilt ... and 1 Advantage which can't be used for anything on a hilt like that. *rolls eyes*

... So she makes a bog-standard Standard Hilt.

Unless there's a crisis, Mireska will meditate with the new crystal until it becomes a blue-green similar to the Healers' working uniform, then place it in the new lightsabre hilt and test it.

Will there be time to modify the new crystal while we're still on Christophsis?

You've got time for 1 mod before you need to focus on the separatists... but if you attempt to mod the crystal away from the temple/crucible. If you mod at the temple any non impossible mod auto succeeds (you just pay the 100 credits like any other mod)

36 minutes ago, Bellona said:

@P-47 Thunderbolt

Thank you for the explanation!

(For the sake of my sanity, I'll just copy/paste your suggestion and leave it at that. And hope that someone other than me will write Spanner's part in the future!)

well... Europe has a south right? do one of those! :D :D

@RuusMarev I thought that you were going to find crystals for 2 sabers.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:36 AM, EliasWindrider said:

You've got time for 1 mod before you need to focus on the separatists... but if you attempt to mod the crystal away from the temple/crucible. If you mod at the temple any non impossible mod auto succeeds (you just pay the 100 credits like any other mod)

If I've figured out the dice pool correctly for the first mod, it would be

Mechanics (Easy) instead of Hard (Difficulty - 2 b/c it's her own lightsabre)

+2 Boost b/c of her Standard Lightsabre Maintenance Kit (from SS)

+4 Force b/c she's a Force-sensitive (with FR 4) working on a kyber crystal

+1 Advantage b/c of her Jedi Multi-Tool (from KtP or RotSep)

So, for that first mod (to increase the Breach quality by +1 to Breach 2):

Mod #1 on own Christophsis crystal (JMT, LSa Maint. Kit) : 2eP+2eA+2eB+4eF+1eD 1 failure, 6 advantage, 2 Light Side, 3 Dark Side
p-s.png p-a.png a-a.png a-a-a.png b--.png b-a-a.png f-ds.png f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds.png d-f-f.png

(Thank goodness for that sidebar about FS characters adding their FR when dealing with kyber crystals!)

Final Result (using 2 LS pips for 2 Successes) : 1 Success, 7 Advantages.

And the "property damage" crystal is starting its journey! :)

As usual recently, the 7 Advantages can't be used for anything useful. (ETA: Other than to remove any remaining fatigue.)

I've subtracted 100 credits from Mireska's "lightsabre budget" on her character sheet (SWSheets version is already updated, MediaFire will most likely not be updated until other stuff is updated).

Does the temporary version of the new hilt contain the old hilt's Magnetic Weapon Tether and Damping Emitter attachments, or will they have to wait until the travel montage on the way to Teth?

Edited by Bellona
Idea for the final 7 Advantages.
53 minutes ago, Bellona said:

If I've figured out the dice pool correctly for the first mod, it would be

Mechanics (Easy) instead of Hard (Difficulty - 2 b/c it's her own lightsabre)

+2 Boost b/c of her Standard Lightsabre Maintenance Kit (from SS)

+4 Force b/c she's a Force-sensitive (with FR 4) working on a kyber crystal

+1 Advantage b/c of her Jedi Multi-Tool (from KtP or RotSep)

So, for that first mod (to increase the Breach quality by +1 to Breach 2):

Mod #1 on own Christophsis crystal (JMT, LSa Maint. Kit) : 2eP+2eA+2eB+4eF+1eD 1 failure, 6 advantage, 2 Light Side, 3 Dark Side
p-s.png p-a.png a-a.png a-a-a.png b--.png b-a-a.png f-ds.png f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds.png d-f-f.png

(Thank goodness for that sidebar about FS characters adding their FR when dealing with kyber crystals!)

Final Result (using 2 LS pips for 2 Successes) : 1 Success, 7 Advantages.

And the "property damage" crystal is starting its journey! :)

As usual recently, the 7 Advantages can't be used for anything useful.

I've subtracted 100 credits from Mireska's "lightsabre budget" on her character sheet (SWSheets version is already updated, MediaFire will most likely not be updated until other stuff is updated).

Does the temporary version of the new hilt contain the old hilt's Magnetic Weapon Tether and Damping Emitter attachments, or will they have to wait until the travel montage on the way to Teth?

Collect parts to build those things from Spanner and you can narrate working on them but you don't get them functional until the trip.

@EliasWindrider , I'm waiting on your lead for handling the Teth scouting mission. So orders, source of orders, timing, etc.