Imperial Gifts - Kotei Prize Fiction

By Tabris2k, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

liked a lot the story, three things I´´ m l ookout ...

-the present for shizue, looks like a monocle or maybe if Shahai is clever, is a meishodo trinket to spy.

-In the Shaisetsu story ,a tragedy is coming, hope not now, i don’t want early teenager antagonists, maybe one dies and the other look to resurrect his/her beloved one with jigoku,spice and everything nice. tadaaa! old white haired Daigotsu back in town.

-Kunshu is a tsurugi now? what was in Yasurugi head when he forged it? katana for me, for my sister, one wrapped gift to the lion, some to keep in the loft for centuries and for my uncle an "non noble" blade. C'mon even shiba Little mermaid forged a katana for her husband.

(yes, i know , problaby one iluminati of ffg have the clever idea of the tsurugi from the 3 sacred treasures of the japan imperial family )

4 hours ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

-Kunshu is a tsurugi now? what was in Yasurugi head when he forged it? katana for me, for my sister, one wrapped gift to the lion, some to keep in the loft for centuries and for my uncle an "non noble" blade. C'mon even shiba Little mermaid forged a katana for her husband.

Not to be pedantic, but that Shiba Little Mermaid forged a Tachi, not a Katana. The Katana hadn't been invented yet, which is why Yasurugi wouldn't have forged a Katana either.

I kinda like the nod towards sword-progression in the new lore. It makes my inner sword-dork happy.

27 minutes ago, SpookyElectric said:

Not to be pedantic, but that Shiba Little Mermaid forged a Tachi, not a Katana. The Katana hadn't been invented yet, which is why Yasurugi wouldn't have forged a Katana either.

I kinda like the nod towards sword-progression in the new lore. It makes my inner sword-dork happy.

To pedant on your pedantry, Ofushikai's not even a tachi, it's a chokuto, the straight blades that preceded the coming of curved blades like tachi or katana.

I echo and agree on the sword-progression.

Curved blades.

11 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Curved blades.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZGy9f86dCpYU24yhFBmR

Why do people keep assuming that Daisetsu is manipulating Shahai?

Buncha cynics, looking for conspiracies instead of accepting that it's twue wuv.

4 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Because she's plainly getting manipulated, mostly. We get inside her weird, selfish little noggin, and it's a very... easily-guided place.

5 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

When you take your gf to watch your dumb bro play with dad's sword like a ***** and carefully underline the scene with your narrative then you are aiming for more than a date. Especially if this gf is a talented sorceress and a prominent member of the faction that can tie up a possibly hostile faction if things come to that (and you just know that things will come to that).

14 hours ago, SpookyElectric said:

Well, Kakita invented the katana in Y19, in the Old5R. Taught by a Kenku named Grandmother.

Though I'm perfectly happy with that being changed, if that's what they're doing.

And her name is Tsumaru...

15 hours ago, SpookyElectric said:

Not to be pedantic, but that Shiba Little Mermaid forged a Tachi, not a Katana

14 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

To pedant on your pedantry, Ofushikai's not even a tachi, it's a chokuto, the straight blades that preceded the coming of curved blades like tachi or katana. 

And now my turn of pendatry

One of the basic of L5r, it’s no of my own, I hear for a long time from different people (probably is written in the books) is that Rokugan is not Japan .

Yes, in the history of japan there a lot of swords, okatana, kodachi, uchigatana, etc..

Ofushikai it’s described as a pre katana sword only “gently” curved , so…

It’s not a tachi, a longer a more curved sword than the katana.

Neither it’s a chokuto, a complete straight sword.

So, what’s Ofushikai? A less curved katana of a fantasy world.

I’m not going to post a brick about the importance of the katana in Rokugan. The samurai sword is always a katana, with variety of size, broad, shape or weight. Till a little man brought the standard for the katana in the dawn of the empire

It’s funny to imagine a scene of two samurais…

-Hey dude-san, look that weirdo with a strange sword instead of his katana, probably a gaijin/yobanjin lover or a unicorn spy.

-buddy-san, that’s my champion with the ancestral sword of my clan.

15 hours ago, SpookyElectric said:

The Katana hadn't been invented yet, which is why Yasurugi wouldn't have forged a Katana either. 

So, tell me, what weapon carried his father when he won the first emerald championship before he met his mother.

9 minutes ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

And now my turn of pendatry

One of the basic of L5r, it’s no of my own, I hear for a long time from different people (probably is written in the books) is that Rokugan is not Japan .

Yes, in the history of japan there a lot of swords, okatana, kodachi, uchigatana, etc..

Ofushikai  it’s described as a pre katana sword only “gently” curved , so…

It’s not a tachi, a longer a more curved sword than the katana.

Neither it’s a chokuto, a complete straight sword.

So, what’s Ofushikai? A less curved katana of a fantasy world.

I’m not going to post a brick about the importance of the katana in Rokugan. The samurai sword is always a katana, with variety of size, broad, shape or weight. Till a little man brought the standard for the katana in the dawn of the empire

It’s funny to imagine a scene of two samurais…

-Hey dude-san, look that weirdo with a strange sword instead of his katana, probably a gaijin/yobanjin lover or a unicorn spy.

-buddy-san, that’s my champion with the ancestral sword of my clan.

So, tell me, what weapon carried his father when he won the first emerald championship before he met his mother.

latest?cb=20180408210057

That sword has no curve. This is a case where we have information that directly contradicts the previous canon, (so supersedes it) that the Phoenix clan sword is explicitly not a Katana.

And we should point out that Imperial Gift specifically calls out that the Ancestral Sword of the Lion is a simple Tachi and not a Katana.

31 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

latest?cb=20180408210057

That sword has no curve. This is a case where we have information that directly contradicts the previous canon, (so supersedes it) that the Phoenix clan sword is explicitly not a Katana.

Lovely image with "artistic license" ,sorry, but the description of pre katana sword only "gently curved" is form the phoenix novela, the sword and the spirits

Look, a ofushikai curved as a katana

ignatius-tan-shiba-tsukune~2.jpg

Edited by Daigotsu Arashi
11 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

And we should point out that Imperial Gift specifically calls out that the Ancestral Sword of the Lion is a simple Tachi and not a Katana.

are we talking about the broken sword of the lion?

Edit: sorry my mistake ,Its shori

Edited by Daigotsu Arashi
2 minutes ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

Lovely image with "artistic license" ,sorry, but the description of pre katana sword only "gently curved" is form the phoenix novela, the sword and the spirits

"Ofushikai was displayed resting on a cypress stand. The sheath was carved from a single piece of wood with detailed feathers, having glowing crimson and burnished gold braziers. Its manta-skin handle had a pearl set, with ribbons of silk woven around its pommel. Its tsuba handguard was made of curved bronze wings. The ancient sword lacked the drastic curve of a true katana and the benefits of modern smithing" From the wiki. and based on the description of the sword from "Risen From the Flame", also by Mr. Denton, that states the sword is not a true Katana but a precursor weapon forged before the form of the Katana was normalized.

3 minutes ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

are we talking about the broken sword of the lion?

No the one that rests in the Imperial Palace and is only meant to be taken up on the direct orders of the Hantei. It rests beside the Ancestral Sword of the Hantei which is explicitly said in this story to be a massive tsurugi.

36 minutes ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

Look, a ofushikai curved as a katana

ignatius-tan-shiba-tsukune~2.jpg

And the other official images we have shows the sword like this

Image result for Ofushikai Image result for Ofushikai

Again a straight sword rather than any curve to the blade. The Artwork on Tsukune while beautiful is not necessarily the definitive view of the sword. and the visual representations we've seen all follow the same theme of a straight sword (thus lacking the curve of a Katana) which frankly makes more sense when you consider that it was forged by a Ningyo underwater so a thrusting sword makes more sense than a slashing cutting sword.

I had assumed (even at the time) the core set art of Tskukune was not of her wielding Ofushikai. It doesn't look anything like how Ofushikai is described. Also we are introduced to her before she became champ. That's probably her katana from before she received Ofushikai.

I like people arguing with Spooky over what Ofushikai is and is not :) This is a fun thread to read.

I wanna circle back to the discussion of whether or not Daisetsu is manipulating Shahai. I'm not sure I read it as that yet. I mean we do have reason to believe Daisetsu is dangerous considering his first interactions with Shizue should be raising alarms in people. Also Shahai is clearly in a state where she'd be very vulnerable to that sort of manipulation. That said I don't feel like Daisetsu has made Shahai do anything against her will yet. Trying to separate Daisetsu from him possibly being Daigotsu right now I just see Daisetsu trying to be a friend to Shahai, and so far he hasn't said anything untrue to her. Whether he takes advantage of that trust he's built in her for his own gain is another matter, but right now I think Shahai would be complicit in anything Daisetsu would propose anyway. Is that because Shahai and Daisetsu are forming a real relationship with each other (either romantic or plutonic) or is Daisetsu molding Shahai into a devoted follower in the same way a cult leader would. I guess one of the more important questions to ask in this respect is how does Daisetsu feel about Shahai. Unfortunately we don't get Daisetsu's perspective as far as I recall from the fictions. So we don't know if he views Shahai as a comrade or a tool.

Edited by phillos
9 minutes ago, phillos said:

I had assumed    (even at the time) the core set art of Tskukune was not of her wielding Ofushikai. It doesn't look anything like how Ofushikai is described. Also we  are introduced to her before she became champ. That's probably her katana from before she received Ofushikai.

I like people arguing with Spooky      over   what Ofushikai is and is not :)  This is a  fun thread to read.

Yeah, it's very nice to have a friendly chat about this game. I hope the new emerald empire book will end this discussion and bring answers to other questions. It's the problem of this schrodinger canon

We already have a canon source - The RPG core book page 232 specifically calls out the chokuto as being the style of sword that were wielded by the founding Kami.

Reading this discussion about sword shapes makes me realize that, for as much as I would like to brag otherwise, I am, at best, an appliant for nerd apprentice.

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

I should also point out that this description comes from an Iuchi Shugenja, so it might be in fact a zweihander :lol: .

3 hours ago, phillos said:

Unfortunately we don't get Daisetsu's perspective as far as I recall from the fictions. So we don't know if he views Shahai as a comrade or a tool.

I'm fairly sure that he unironically views her as his future wife so it is kinda like a "best of both worlds" deal.

Edited by AtoMaki

The kid fires a very unsubtle shot in that direction yes. Only the fact that such an implication would be crazy outside the bounds of protocol prevents Shahai from taking him seriously.

3 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

The kid fires a very unsubtle shot in that direction yes. Only the fact that such an implication would be crazy outside the bounds of protocol prevents Shahai from taking him seriously.

Depends the Emperor is one of the few figures who has a far greater say in who they marry as the need an alliance consideration plays far less heavily into the choice of a suitable spouse. Now add the fact that we have a hormonal 12-15 year old that we are dealing with and I can easily see him thinking he can get what he wants. Especially being the second son and not suspecting that pops is about to turn over the apple cart.

55 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Depends the Emperor is one of the few figures who has a far greater say in who they marry as the need an alliance consideration plays far less heavily into the choice of a suitable spouse. Now add the fact that we have a hormonal 12-15 year old that we are dealing with and I can easily see him thinking he can get what he wants. Especially being the second son and not suspecting that pops is about to turn over the apple cart.

Is it just me or did everyone picture Daisetsu going all "Good Will Hunting" on his brother when he finds out he's going to be next......

"Hey Sotori, do you like apples?"

"Cuz I'm gonna be emperor so how you like dem apples?!"

16 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Because she's plainly getting manipulated, mostly. We get inside her weird, selfish little noggin, and it's a very... easily-guided place.

We get inside HER head, but not Daisetsu's. So we don't actually have any evidence of whether he's sincere or not. Just your assumptions.