Imperial Gifts - Kotei Prize Fiction

By Tabris2k, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Link to the news here

More Sahai! More Shizue! More Daisetsu! Best of all, more Fumio!

Superb fiction that gives us more insight into what’s happening at Otosan Uchi. Sahai is doing some powerful friends in the capital. Shizue not rejecting a gift three times is weird for a Crane.

And I think we have the first art for Daisetsu, too. Of course, Sotorii cames out as spoiled as ever, and Daisetsu as wiser than he should be.

A lot of implications for the story in this fiction

Also, the prize for the Koteis Series.

Keep in mind this fiction is set before Tiger Stalk his Prey. There’s also a mention that happens before the web fiction for Children of the Empire, but we still don’t have that fiction, right?

Edited by Tabris2k

I don't know if that's Daisetsu; the Mon on his chest suggests that it's a generic Seppun. Edit: Wait, I was focusing on the Samurai in the background. Yeah, the other one could be Daisetsu.

So according to this, Shahai is fifteen-ish? Assuming Daisetsu was still born in 1112 like in the old timeline. Honestly, I didn't peg them to be four years apart.

I was almost expecting Sotorii to cut himself on the blade, just to have it really rubbed in how unsuitable he is as Emperor.

And Shaisetsu continues to be adorable to read about.

Edited by Mangod

Daisetsu, smoothest operator in Rokugan.

Love the fiction, lots of plot hooks and implications regardless of how upcoming stories go.

29 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Keep in mind this fiction is set before Tiger Stalk his Prey. There’s also a mention that happens before the web fiction for Children of the Empire, but we still don’t have that fiction, right?

No, the "Children of the Empire" web fiction hasn't yet been published.

34 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Link to the news here

Superb fiction that gives us more insight into what’s happening at Otosan Uchi. Sahai is doing some powerful friends in the capital. Shizue not rejecting a gift three times is weird for a Crane.

I think that it is mentioned somewhere that when exchanging gifts, the two refusals do not have to be done. The refusals are a tradition for when one party offers a gift to another. Of course, like many many things in Rokugan, this is muddy over different editions and fictions.

EDIT: Of course other sources show that in addition to the refusals, the recipient of a gift is supposed to offer something in return for the gift they have been given, so perhaps one does not refuse this 'gift-gift'. Generally though, I trust that there is a reason for the author's choice!

Edited by Amanda the Panda
On 11/4/2018 at 7:24 PM, Amanda the Panda said:

Generally though, I trust that there is a reason for the author's choice!

Of course there is. Fumio just signaled Shizue with “I am pleased by this gift. Accept it in my name.” and Shizue just obey the will of her True Lord.

Edited by Tabris2k
2 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Of course there is. Fumio just signaled Shizue with “I am pleased by this gift. Accept it in my name.” and Shizue just obey the will of his True Lord.

Shh, you can't reveal the true Master Tiger this soon.

Oh, Shahai... she leads with her heart and is lead by her nose. Again.

Her petulance in her last appearance coupled with the sheer willful myopia of this one... suffice it to say that for being the child of a daimyo, she appears to have had a woefully inadequate education. Tsk.

The brothers were true to form in this, so apart from advancing the Shahai Doomsday Clock, can't say that much happened here- but a very good bit of texture and context.

Okay, let me get this straight... not!Daigotsu is so smooth he can stand out in the open with his waifu and still go unnoticed by Sotorii. He also frames his act with first inexplicitly asking for Shahai's hand then giving her the "Don't let me become this" speech. This guy is friggin unreal and he is yet to get around Shoju.

Also, Shaisetsu Hype :wub: !

They can write as much of this stuff as they like. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Shahai and Daisetsu fiction. Lots of great characters crawling around the capital right now.

All I was thinking about, while reading this fiction, was just how cute Shahai was.

Horribly naive but very cute.

My god do I want Shaisetsu to be a thing and for them to be happy together.

Probably not going to happen though (bad things always happen to love birds).

On a side note, it's pretty funny to me to see Shizue try to manipulate Shahai.

Edited by Vulcan646
1 hour ago, Vulcan646 said:

...for them to be happy together.

Fun fact...there is no Rokugani translation for the phrase above.

3 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

In Yomi maybe...

Well it seems Shaisetsu is determined to give Kaetori a run for their money as best couple.

And a new challenger for the fair maiden's affections appears. The only question is do we call them Shihai or Shazue?

Also, it's somewhat amusing that we find out that Shahai has been nicknamed 'the crow' in a fiction featuring a tengu.

The ultimate in [Daisetsu's] waifu technology, rokugani goth gf

Riffing on Shizue not doing the traditional two refusals, she’s very sensitive in trying not to undo any progress. The fact that Shahai offered a gift meant approving even this small step forward. It’s gotta be super tough being the child of a daimyo and so socially anxious. That’s a pretty serious handicap.

Diasetsu being supported by Shoju and Shahai could be interesting.. especially if Shoju gets Unicorn help in a possible Scorpion civil war?

Interesting nod to a minor detail; the imperial blade has owl feathers in the detailing.

(At one point in the previous histories - once the throne started moving families - there was a semi-official attempt to label the imperial families as the 'owl clan')

So Kakita Asami is still stuck with the Matsu. Interesting that I thought her Yojimbo was the one picked for the clan choices?

Also, the Seppun are having trouble communing with the Kami as well. They're blaming Shahai's Meishodo talismans, but...if that's not the case, something is definitely stirring. The Kami of Hoseki Pond was already fighting for its territory with a Djinn before Takeya arrived, and smokeless fire certainly implied a djinn being brought into otosan uchi...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

It could be interesting if Djinn were basically foreign kami trying to find homes after Unicorn arrived.

On the other hand, there could be something totally else happening besides that?

I am getting some serious Iuchiban vibes from Daisetsu in this fiction... something tells me that if everything goes pear-shaped, and explosive coup DOES happen? Someone's going to be on a trip to the Sand Road sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, Vulcan646 said:

On a side note, it's pretty funny to me to see Shizue try to manipulate Shahai.

I think the point of that section was to showcase how Shizue is not in the same league as not!Daigotsu when it comes to manipulation. She could barely make herself clear for Shahai while not!Daigotsu made the girl think about treason - Shahai not giving not!Daigotsu the gift from Shizue (and thinking it is unworthy) also might have a symbolic meaning.

10 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

The real fun fact is that so far there is no unhappy couple in the new canon as far as I know (but there are plenty of very happy ones!). Even the Matsu girl and the Shinjo dude were just written into a corner rather than being an actual tragic couple.

42 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

The real fun fact is that so far there is no unhappy couple in the new canon as far as I know (but there are plenty of very happy ones!). Even the Matsu girl and the Shinjo dude were just written into a corner rather than being an actual tragic couple.

Which only makes it worse.

3 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

Which only makes it worse.

From a certain standpoint yes, it does because trying to do something DRAMATIC and SAD with the current happy couples wouldn't really fly with the established narrative IMO.

Shahai’s comment about Scorpion stewardship cut deep. And then the story closes with her “bushido be damned” thought? We are def headed toward a civil war arc. The fiction team has really been unleashed on making us hate Sotorii, huh? Just waiting now for the scene in which he murders his own father (and Daisetsu gets blamed for it, along with Shoju and Toturi).

I’m surprised Shizue did not reflect at all, in the course of this story, upon the closeness between Daisetsu and Shahai. Is everyone’s fav goth teen romance really that low key?

OK I’m also now waiting for a scene in which, at a moment of great decision, Shahai compares Daisetsu to Sotorii, echoing back to her promise.

Edited by Manchu
9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

So Kakita Asami is still stuck with the Matsu. Interesting that I thought her Yojimbo was the one picked for the clan choices?

Yep, should be an interesting puzzle for the story team to decide how to resolve.