The Big Bad Thread of Homebrews

By sndwurks, in Houserules

Oh right, math, everybody starts at 1. Curse you numbers, my one weakness!

I'll make it so family is Earth or Void, and then school is Air/Void, to key into the one Air Invocation they have in-school for R1 and Air (particularly Refine and Analyze) suits the nature of the school.

#MinorClan #OrioleClan

I posted my own version of the Oriole Clan. (It's not finish, but it's playable)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A_i1UvIr9KPmpcykkXbldmxBKIZuaUmQSF7lRZnfiHM

I use Ikiry0's post and the layout of Tonbo Karasu.

Do not hesitate to tell me what you think, and if I have to change things.

Edited by ludo199
3 hours ago, ludo199 said:

#MinorClan #OrioleClan

I posted my own version of the Oriole Clan. (It's not finish, but it's playable)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A_i1UvIr9KPmpcykkXbldmxBKIZuaUmQSF7lRZnfiHM

I use Ikiry0's post and the layout of Tonbo Karasu.

Do not hesitate to tell me what you think, and if I have to change things.

Initial thought: Analyse is an Air approach, but you have it tied to a Water check. I'd suggest changing the check to an Air one. Also given that their Clan/Family/School doesn't give Water, it's a little strange to make their school ability dependent on that Ring.

Personally, I'm very surprised by the addition of gunpowder/teppo to the clan; seems out of nowhere. If it fits your Rokugan, and you really want blackpowder in your game, then I'd suggest splitting it into a different school.

Making Unbreakable weapons (which makes the Katana a Rarity 13 weapon) is already pretty incredible when anyone else has to spend 8 (!!) XP to get that effect; in comparison, most techniques cost 3. Not to mention you can do it for any item? So unbreakable armor then makes a 0-2 Critical a not-critical. I can use shattering parry without drawback. It's pretty powerful to give to a brand-new, fresh-from-the-childhood character.

I'd also suggest a misfire/backfire rule with the blackpowder weapons. They are somewhat infamous for that unreliability, but you've given them no drawback save for a longer loading time. I'd suggest specifying the reloading actions is a Support action, to negate a Water stance calming breath/reload. Also, does it have to be 5 consecutive actions? Can I Water stance: fire the gun then start reload, next turn strike one-handed and reload, etc x3, then have a loaded pistol at the end of it? I'd be more specific with the prepare requirement.

19 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Initial thought: Analyse is an Air approach, but you have it tied to a Water check. I'd suggest changing the check to an Air one. Also given that their Clan/Family/School doesn't give Water, it's a little strange to make their school ability dependent on that Ring.

Personally, I'm very surprised by the addition of gunpowder/teppo to the clan; seems out of nowhere. If it fits your Rokugan, and you really want blackpowder in your game, then I'd suggest splitting it into a different school.

Making Unbreakable weapons (which makes the Katana a Rarity 13 weapon) is already pretty incredible when anyone else has to spend 8 (!!) XP to get that effect; in comparison, most techniques cost 3. Not to mention you can do it for any item? So unbreakable armor then makes a 0-2 Critical a not-critical. I can use shattering parry without drawback. It's pretty powerful to give to a brand-new, fresh-from-the-childhood character.

I'd also suggest a misfire/backfire rule with the blackpowder weapons. They are somewhat infamous for that unreliability, but you've given them no drawback save for a longer loading time. I'd suggest specifying the reloading actions is a Support action, to negate a Water stance calming breath/reload. Also, does it have to be 5 consecutive actions? Can I Water stance: fire the gun then start reload, next turn strike one-handed and reload, etc x3, then have a loaded pistol at the end of it? I'd be more specific with the prepare requirement.

Thanks

I change Water ring by Air Ring.

I also change the Unbreakable quality. Only the Tsi can use this, (and only weapon).

Finally i suppressed black powder for Oriole history. Maybe i wll use it to create a unique and original clan.

4 hours ago, ludo199 said:

Finally i suppressed black powder for Oriole history. Maybe i wll use it to create a unique and original clan.

Like I said, if it works for your Rokugan, keep it. But I do think both for one school makes it a little too strong. Could be a second school in the clan if you really want to keep it!

Go for fun, I post a minor clan that I created.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17XYhIbqATWzzxzOiXb4VUCJ5F4BcyPQOHWW-XFounIE/edit?usp=sharing

The Octopus clan whose samurai are freak, also called "the yokai people"

The Sekushi family was an old part of the Unicorn, but during their journey they assimilated some tradition to modify their bodies, and thus to create "Body Art".
The purpose of the clan is to make people accept differences in an ultra-conservative society.

I had a lot of fun imaging and writing this clan. I started from the idea: "if the unicorn was to go further than Burning Sand". So I was inspired by many people and tribes around the world (mainly Africa and Asia), their tradition, and Body Art. I wanted to give them a deliberately sensual and exaggerated side.

Ps: My English is of a relatively average level (it's not my original language) so I think there will be a lot of fault. Otherwise, do not hesitate to comment.

These are good. Would love to see Drunken Mantis!

9 hours ago, KveldUlfr said:

I just made my first School, and I would appreciate any feedback.
It is a ronin bushi school that focuses on spears and guard dogs.

I like the concept and here are my initial thoughts:

I like the flavour text and the idea behind the school. The school ability is alright, but plain, I wished the ability would reflect more of the flavour text in it. The chosen techniques seems alright to me. What was your reasoning behind the ring choice?

Also in the side lines, "fience" should probably be fierce . And the sentence "The path of Okuri-uni is similar in the ronin who follow it" took me three tries to read it correctly.

Adding to @Kiso critique, I get the whole economy of action thing and having a cohort that does additional actions being considered OP in this new age of tabletop RPG but I consider the Rank 6 ability too weak. The Samurai will already be able to attack and order the dog to attack if he stays in Water stance (which can bring its own problems, but still), so having a a Rank 6 ability that makes you spend a Void point just so your dog can attack along with seems a price too high for something you already can do since Rank 1, as long as you stay in Water Stance.

Can't recall right now if there's any Kata like this, but maybe something like, if your target is Immobilized, you or your dog can make an Attack action that causes a critical strike with severity equal to the weapon's deadliness + 5? Just tossing ideas around.

8 hours ago, Kiso said:

I like the concept and here are my initial thoughts:

I like the flavour text and the idea behind the school. The school ability is alright, but plain, I wished the ability would reflect more of the flavour text in it. The chosen techniques seems alright to me. What was your reasoning behind the ring choice?

Also in the side lines, "fience" should probably be fierce . And the sentence "The path of Okuri-uni is similar in the ronin who follow it" took me three tries to read it correctly.

Thanks! I will fix the spelling error and the awkward sentence.

Initially, I was thinking Air and Water for ring choices, as they are both used in survival for training animals. The school suggestions for bushi suggested earth. So, I decided to compromise with earth, considering the idea that they are guards and defensive by nature, and when debating air versus water, I decided on water as water is adaptive and makes it easier to work in concert with their hound.

3 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Adding to @Kiso critique, I get the whole economy of action thing and having a cohort that does additional actions being considered OP in this new age of tabletop RPG but I consider the Rank 6 ability too weak. The Samurai will already be able to attack and order the dog to attack if he stays in Water stance (which can bring its own problems, but still), so having a a Rank 6 ability that makes you spend a Void point just so your dog can attack along with seems a price too high for something you already can do since Rank 1, as long as you stay in Water Stance.

Can't recall right now if there's any Kata like this, but maybe something like, if your target is Immobilized, you or your dog can make an Attack action that causes a critical strike with severity equal to the weapon's deadliness + 5? Just tossing ideas around.

Thanks! I was not sure if I was making it too weak - but I had seen some people talk about the action economy, and I did not want to break it too badly. I like your idea however.
I will definitely think about how to revise the school ability and mastery ability.
I welcome any further suggestions or critique.

I would probably call the Rank 6 ability "Go for the kill" .

13 minutes ago, Diogo Salazar said:

I would probably call the Rank 6 ability "Go for the kill" .

Thanks! I currently have it updated with your naming, and your idea.

I like the concept and it seems to work pretty well. I only have one mechanical question and one wording comment:
It should probably be the "Large Dog profile" rather than "silhouette". That's how the game calls those, anyway.

As for the mastery: Is that really a checkless action that just succeeds and forces the enemy to resist a crit? So I could Water Stance, use that and still perform some other action (that doesn't have the Attack subtype, at least)?

I personally also wouldn't worry too much about the action economy, since it's easy to add more enemies to balance that out. However, the risk with pet classes in my view is that either the pet is far too weak, and thus the class is weaker than others, or the pet is almost as good as a full character and the pet class gets to effectively play two characters that can cover each other's weaknesses. The way you handled it seems pretty good to me for that reason! I'd also allow the dog to be trained in some ways that let it take actions for several turns, giving new opportunities or small passive effects during those turns - but that'd be for later extended techs and not core to the class.

6 hours ago, Myrion said:

I like the concept and it seems to work pretty well. I only have one mechanical question and one wording comment:
It should probably be the "Large Dog profile" rather than "silhouette". That's how the game calls those, anyway.

As for the mastery: Is that really a checkless action that just succeeds and forces the enemy to resist a crit? So I could Water Stance, use that and still perform some other action (that doesn't have the Attack subtype, at least)?

I personally also wouldn't worry too much about the action economy, since it's easy to add more enemies to balance that out. However, the risk with pet classes in my view is that either the pet is far too weak, and thus the class is weaker than others, or the pet is almost as good as a full character and the pet class gets to effectively play two characters that can cover each other's weaknesses. The way you handled it seems pretty good to me for that reason! I'd also allow the dog to be trained in some ways that let it take actions for several turns, giving new opportunities or small passive effects during those turns - but that'd be for later extended techs and not core to the class.

Thanks. I will update it with profile. It has been suggested on a Discord that I reconsider the school abilities a bit further, to make the Hound more thematic and prevalent. I still have some thought to do.

This is an idea i had for the fox clan with a couple school ideas. Constructive critiques and/or questions are welcome. I am relatively new to the system, but I hope people enjoy.

#foxclan #minorclan #school #newschool #family #fox

Fox Clan.docx

Edited by yngtnrpdx
Updated document based on discord suggestions

I've tried to rescue what I could out of this to put on Winter Garden of the Kakita. If you want to save your work and help me out greatly, if you could format the school or title or whatever as you like it and then give me a link to it, that would work much better and you can keep it up to date. If that doesn't work, I will try to format and get to it as I get to it. (for those who are still around)