The Big Bad Thread of Homebrews

By sndwurks, in Houserules

#School #MinorClan #MantisClan

Wasn't sure if it was better to edit my previous post, rather than posting again, being that this is building off of what I had posted previously.

Again, this is all on mobile, so apologies for any formatting errors on my end.

Storm Fleet Legionnaire School
[ Bushi ]

Rings :
• Fire, Earth
Starting Skills (Choose 5) :
• Command, Fitness, Games, Martial Arts (melee), Seafaring, Survival, Tactics
Honor :
Techniques Available :
• Kata, Rituals, Shuji
Starting Techniques :
Kata (Choose 1) : Striking as Earth, Striking as Fire, Striking as Water
Shuji : *Osana-wo's Boast
School Ability :
Way of the Mantis :
- When using an Action or Technique that specifies using 1 readied weapon, you may use 2 readied weapons instead provided that:

1 ) Both have a 1 hand grip 2 ) Are non-samurai weapons

- If you do so, treat base damage together before applying bonus successes, resistances and other effects
- Use the highest Deadlines of the weapons used
- Add your school rank to the deadliness

Edit : Change to Way of the Mantis

• When you attack, you may attack with 2 readied one handed, non-samurai weapons instead. If you do, select one weapon to be your primary. Use it's statistics for resolving the action.

• Add your school rank to damage and deadliness.

I feel this scales the benefit a little bit better and limits min/maxing weapons for the best quality mixes.

Rank 1 :
• Martial Skills
• Command
• Sentiment
• Seafaring
• Rank 1 Kata
• *Veiled Menace Style (Kata)
• Stirring the Embers (Shuji)
Rank 2 :
• Social Skills
• Culture
• Labor
• Martial Arts (melee)
• Rank 1-2 Kata
• *Heartpiercing Strike (Kata)
• Lightning Raid (Shuji)
Rank 3 :
• Scholar Skills
• Fitness
• Courtesy
• Survival
• Rank 1-3 Earth Shuji
• *Bravado (Shuji)
• Ebb and Flow (Shuji)
Rank 4 :
• Trade Skills
• Culture
• Games
• Meditation
• Rank 1-4 Kata
• *Skulk (Ninjitsu)
• A Samurai's Fate (Shuji)
Rank 5 :
• Martial Skills
• Command
• Seafaring
• Sentiment
• Rank 1-5 Fire Shuji
• Rouse the Soul (Shuji)
• Striking as Void (Kata)
Rank 6 :
Mastery Ability :
• Rolling Wave:
- Increase the TN of Attack checks
against you equal to the number of bonus successes you gained from your Action this turn. This bonus lasts until the start of your next turn.

Edited by Arolem
Adjusting/adding some things.

#Disadvantage #Adversity #ScorpionClan

The Yogo Curse (Void) (Adversity)

"What use am I to you? I am cursed to betray what I love the most!" -Asako Yogo
"But dear Yogo-san, you do not love me." - Bayushi

During the dawn of the Empire, Asako Yogo was the son of one of Isawa's most pious and scholastic followers. A powerful shugenja, he stood many times against the forces of Jigoku in the first war, and he paid for his heroism. Fu Leng placed unto him a powerful curse, bound in his blood and destined to follow his bloodline from that day forward. Asako Yogo, and each of his descendants is doomed to one day betray that which they love the most. As a descendant of Asako Yogo, you carry this powerful blood curse in your veins, and your knowledge of it lingers always in the back of your mind. This has two effects.

• One day, you will betray what you love the most. You do not know when this day will come, but nothing short of your death will prevent it (if that death does not serve to fulfill it).
  • The knowledge of your doom prevents you from forming close attachments and empathizing with the plight of others. When making a Skill check which might be clouded by your heart's love and motivation, such as a Sentiment [Void] to determine if you love someone or a Tactics [Void] to position yourself to better protect someone else, you must choose and reroll two dice showing Success or Explosive Success. If this causes you to fail a Skill check, gain 1 Void.
Edited by sndwurks

#Weapon #Equipment #Ninjutsu

Bolas

Consisting of two or three weights connected by a rope of leather or a metal chain, bolas were originally imported by Pavarre traders before the Battle of White Stag. Adopted by shinobi, these thrown weapons can be used to by a skilled combatant to restrain and immobilize their opponents at a distance.

When inflicting a successful Critical Strike with a bolas, the target must also make a Fitness TN 2 (Air 1, Earth 3) check or be Immobilized until they take a Movement Action to untangle themselves.

Bolas | [Ranged] | RNG 0 - 2 | DMG 3 | DLS 2 | Grips: 1 hand - | Qualities: Concealable, Snaring | Rarity 6 | Price: 2 koku

@FFGDerek - Do you mind moving this thread to the "House Rules" sub forum?

Woohoo! Thank you, kindly Moderator!

Edited by sndwurks
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, sndwurks said:

#MinorClan #FalconClan #Technique #School

((Stub for the Falcon Ghost Hunter School.))

((Stub for the Eyes of the Falcon Shuji, focused around spotting possession.))

((More will be coming as I get the brain to finish this.))

Was reading Small Mercies - thoughts

• Toritaka Phantom Hunter School - ( Because the yureigumi are referred to in the story as Phantom Hunters rather than Ghost Hunters)
    • Water is 'general awareness', void is 'spiritual sense'. I suggest a third natural ring (for the school itself) would be Air, which covers 'detailed scrutiny', besides which, air/falcon seems meta-narratively logical.
    • That said, they are a Bushi school in so far as they're anything; they're patrolling in a squad with a Gunso in command, which - based on other Bushi schools - means one of their ring increases should be Earth.
    • Skills - If you've already got survival/fitness/theology you've got the basics.
      • Martial Arts (Melee), Meditation, Tactics, Sentiment (? Determine motivations, after all) and one or more rank 2 options of the above
  • The 'survive in the shinomen' trial is arguably more nasty if you don't get told in advance that you're going to have to do it....
  • Gear
    • The prayer wrappings to make one weapon Sacred makes sense. Sacred - I think - only affects shadowland taint, but there isn't a similar quality you can easily pull up for dealing with insubstantial ghosts, and it's appropriate.
    • You're not going to wear heavy plate - no point - but I could see the option of lacquered plate, more because it's ceremonial than because it's that protective.
  • Yotogi's Eyes - since some have it, and others have it more, but it's a bloodline thing, it doesn't seem right to have it be a technique or school ability, so an advantage makes sense.
    • You "can learn to see ghosts" even without it (albeit that the protagonist sees them for a different reason), which I would say should be a school ability (because that means everyone gets it and there'd be a 'master-version' for the rank 6 sensei).
      • If you want to give them some sort of edge in combat, something linking it to the assessment check might make sense; the version of eyes of the falcon in the L5R wiki talks about "using meditation to expand the senses". Gaining a leg up in the assessment check could be good - firstly making an assessment check for any conflict scene meditation is a good ability (albeit making sentiment and tactics less important) , and a shedload of opportunity spends in 'round 0' lets you stack the deck in your favour for the subsequent intrigue or fight.

32 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Was reading Small Mercies - thoughts

• Toritaka Phantom Hunter School - ( Because the yureigumi are referred to in the story as Phantom Hunters rather than Ghost Hunters)
    • Water is 'general awareness', void is 'spiritual sense'. I suggest a third natural ring (for the school itself) would be Air, which covers 'detailed scrutiny', besides which, air/falcon seems meta-narratively logical.
    • That said, they are a Bushi school in so far as they're anything; they're patrolling in a squad with a Gunso in command, which - based on other Bushi schools - means one of their ring increases should be Earth.
    • Skills - If you've already got survival/fitness/theology you've got the basics.
      • Martial Arts (Melee), Meditation, Tactics, Sentiment (? Determine motivations, after all) and one or more rank 2 options of the above

I think that this is worthwhile in thinking about. I am working on this more now, thanks to that fiction.

33 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • The 'survive in the shinomen' trial is arguably more nasty if you don't get told in advance that you're going to have to do it....
  • Gear
    • The prayer wrappings to make one weapon Sacred makes sense. Sacred - I think - only affects shadowland taint, but there isn't a similar quality you can easily pull up for dealing with insubstantial ghosts, and it's appropriate.
    • You're not going to wear heavy plate - no point - but I could see the option of lacquered plate, more because it's ceremonial than because it's that protective.

I think that this might be something to call out in their Starting Equipment. Sacred is a useful trait, and I think I would make it specific that their katana are specifically ritually blessed to be Sacred, but they lose that quality if they inflict a critical strike on a target that does not have the Otherworldly trait. Alternatively, I would give the Falcon Clan a Ritual Technique that allows them to give their katana the Sacred quality.

This would be why the Falcon Clan is known for wielding spears in combat, since they only break out their katana when fighting ghosts.

36 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • Yotogi's Eyes - since some have it, and others have it more, but it's a bloodline thing, it doesn't seem right to have it be a technique or school ability, so an advantage makes sense.
    • You "can learn to see ghosts" even without it (albeit that the protagonist sees them for a different reason), which I would say should be a school ability (because that means everyone gets it and there'd be a 'master-version' for the rank 6 sensei).
      • If you want to give them some sort of edge in combat, something linking it to the assessment check might make sense; the version of eyes of the falcon in the L5R wiki talks about "using meditation to expand the senses". Gaining a leg up in the assessment check could be good - firstly making an assessment check for any conflict scene meditation is a good ability (albeit making sentiment and tactics less important) , and a shedload of opportunity spends in 'round 0' lets you stack the deck in your favour for the subsequent intrigue or fight.

I think this would be a Distinction specific to the Falcon Clan, similar to "Sea Legs" for the Mantis Clan. Probably a Void Distinction that involves being sensitive to the presence of ghosts and the like.

1 minute ago, sndwurks said:

I think that this might be something to call out in their Starting Equipment. Sacred is a useful trait, and I think I would make it specific that their katana are specifically ritually blessed to be Sacred, but they lose that quality if they inflict a critical strike on a target that does not have the Otherworldly trait. Alternatively, I would give the Falcon Clan a Ritual Technique that allows them to give their katana the Sacred quality.

This would be why the Falcon Clan is known for wielding spears in combat, since they only break out their katana when fighting ghosts.

An early-access ritual makes sense. Tying it to the katana sort of makes sense but my natural reflex is to make it "any ceremonial melee weapon" just to leave options open for players - it should still be ceremonial stuff but if they happen to have a suitably revered item (from a family legacy roll, for example) then I could see that also being useable. Ceremonial & melee stops such rubbish as sacred repeater crossbows.

Making it a ritual rather than a bit of kit allows additional opportunity spends, which allows you to stack any effect over and above sacred if you want a specific effect against otherworldly rather than shadowlanders, and allows it to be easily replaced if the weapon is damaged. Good idea.

1 minute ago, sndwurks said:

I think this would be a Distinction specific to the Falcon Clan, similar to "Sea Legs" for the Mantis Clan. Probably a Void Distinction that involves being sensitive to the presence of ghosts and the like.

Agreed, but as noted, this needs to be distinct from Sixth Sense . I think it is - it's very much more about seeing what's actually there, visible or not (both in the sense of darkness and of ephemeral spirits) than 'having a hunch', but there's an unarguable degree of crossover.

41 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Agreed, but as noted, this needs to be distinct from Sixth Sense . I think it is - it's very much more about seeing what's actually there, visible or not (both in the sense of darkness and of ephemeral spirits) than 'having a hunch', but there's an unarguable degree of crossover.

So, in Spooky's latest podcast ( https://thelastprovince.libsyn.com/ ), he specifies the existence of "goryo", spirits of the unresting dead who were slain by murder, whom the bloodline of the Yotogi can specifically see. So, we have better guidelines on that.

I think that the Falcon Phantom Hunter school should likely have privileged access to the Soul Sunder kata at Rank 4. It seems like a technique they would develop.

Came up with this passion while working through a character concept, figured I'd share. Was inspired by the Sake and Tea passions.

Smoking (Earth)
Types: Physical, Mental

• You can identify regional variations in tobacco and other herbs, know how to store and prepare herbs for smoking and can gather them in the wild, and are familiar with many styles of pipes and other paraphernalia.
  • When you perform a check to interact with tobacco or the refined pastime of smoking (such as Survival (Earth) to harvest tobacco, or Medicine (Earth) to remember the effects of burning a particular herb), remove 3 strife

#Advantage #Passion #Earth

Edited by UnitOmega

For Falcon, how about taking a page out of the Kaito book, and perhaps add a couple of invocations that could work specifically vs Otherworldy beings, and some weapon enhancing stuff?

You could add to school tech that they can only cast spells via wards, not regularly.

Besides that, 1 or 2 kiho based around detection? For school ability I would actually add something around detecting Otherwordly beings AND resisting Otherwordly effects, specifically fear and stuff like that?

Here is a take on one my favorite Clans, the Hare Minor Clan. I cannot claim this as my own as @sndwurks helped a lot, and I mean a lot. Hope you like it as much as we do.

#MinorClan #HareClan #Technique #School

The Hare Clan

Ring Increase: +1 Water
Skill Increase: +1 Fitness

Founding

The Hare Clan was founded in 750 when the ronin Reichin was granted the Usagi family name and minor clan status for his efforts against Iuchiban.

Bloodspeaker Attack

Sometime later a Bloodspeaker army was intent on destroying Shiro Usagi. Usagi Furiko rode to the Scorpion Clan to enlist aid but found Bayushi Gohaku unwilling to help. She then rode to the Crane Clan but there too she found no help. When she arrived at the Lion Clan she decided to approach the request differently, and managed to lure Matsu Shirogama into helping. Furiko returned with the help and helped her husband, Hare Clan Champion Usagi Gohei, in the defense of the castle. Gohei died, but Furiko picked up her husband's blade and led her clan to victory.

Disbanding

In 1123, the Kolat Soshi Yukio attacked Usagi Ozaki, but was killed by the Hare's heir. The Dajan's Kolat, a splinter sect of the true kolat, bargained with Bayushi Tomaru, and the Scorpion sent an army to attack Shiro Usagi. The castle was destroyed and the Champion, Usagi Oda, was killed. The daughter of Oda, Usagi Tomoe was captured by Tomaru, but his son, Ozaki, escaped with Kenno, the Ancestral Sword of the Hare. On the three hundred and seventy third anniversary of their clan's founding, in the Month of the Hare, the Emperor disbanded the Hare Clan upon hearing sworn testimony from four sources of the clan practicing maho: Kitsune Hamato, Daidoji Unoko, Toritaka Bonugi, and Yasuki Taka testified that the Usagi were Maho-tsukai. The youngest son of Oda was supposedly killed during the siege, but he had been passed to a farmer who adopted him upon the name of Otu.

Rebuilding

After the heroic efforts of Ozaki in 1125 to clear the soiled name of the Hare Clan, the Emperor declared them once again a minor clan, and the slow process of rebuilding their clan began. The Yasuki Daimyo Yasuki Taka had rescinded his testimony, saying it had been given upon blackmail of the nefarious Kolat.

Usagi Family

Ring Increase: +1 Earth or +1 Water
Skill Increase: +1 Sentiment, +1 Survival
Glory: 31 Starting Wealth: 2 koku

The Usagi family are the ruling family of the Hare Clan.

Founding

The Usagi family, and Hare Clan, were founded in 750 by the ronin Reichin as a reward for his services against Iuchiban.

Daimyo

Since the founding of the Hare Clan the daimyo of the Usagi has also been the Hare Clan Champion.

What Does Your Character Know

All Hare Clan members have a greater awareness of the following:

You have a general awareness of the politics of the Scorpion and Crab Clans in addition to other Minor Clans.

You know many basic facts about the Bloodspeakers organization. After their reinstatement, the Hare have devoted time and resources to educate themselves against the Kolat.

You can investigate, track, dispatch Bloodspeakers and Kolat agents.

You are familiar with tales and stories depicting Hare heroes who use their cunning and courage to eliminate their dangerous foes..

What Does Bushido Mean To Your Character

To a Hare Clan samurai, there is no tenet of greater importance than Courage (Yu). It’s because their their duty to ferret out hidden threats no matter where they located, even among themselves, that Loyalty (Chūgi) is the tenet the Hare do not care for.

Usagi Scout School [Bushi]

The Hare Bushi emphasized speed and athleticism in their fighting style. In combat a trained Hare was a blur.

Rings: +1 Fire, +1 Water

Starting Skills (Choose 5): Fitness, Games, Martial Arts (melee), Martial Arts (unarmed), Skullduggery, Survival, Tactics

Honor: 35

Techniques Available: Kata, Rituals, Shūji

Starting Techniques:

Kata (Choose 1): Open Hand Style, Striking as Earth, Striking as Fire

Shūji (Choose 1): Honest Assessment, Shallow Waters

Speed of the Hare (School Ability): During  your turn, if you moved at least one range band, the next attack action targeting you before the beginning of your next turn have its TN increased by  1  .  Once per scene, whenever you make a Fitness roll, add Ring dice sho  win  g  Opportu  nity as Kept dice equal to your school rank. 

Rank 1:
• Martial Skills
• Fitness
• Government
• Social Skill
• Theology
• *Spinning Blades Style (Kata)
• Truth Burns Through Lies (Shūji)
Rank 2:
• Trade Skills
• Culture
• Sentiment
• Martial Arts (melee)
• Games
• Rank 1-2 Shūji
• Skulk (Ninjitsu)
Rank 3:
• Social Skills
• Fitness
• Government
• Tactics
• Theology
• Rank 1-3 Kata
• *Bravado (Shūji)
Rank 4:
• Scholar Skills
• Martial Arts (melee)
• Martial Arts (unarmed)
• Sentiment
• Survival
• Rank 1-4 Shūji
• Crashing Wave Style (Kata)
Rank 5:
• Martial Skills
• Government
• Theology
• Striking as Void (Kata)
• Silencing Stroke (Ninjutsu)
• Rouse the Soul (Shūji)
Rank 6: Reichin's Leap (Mastery Ability): As part of an Attack action, spend 1 Void point. Immediately before and after the Action, you may move up to two range bands. If you do so, decrease the TN of that Action by 2."

Starting Outfit: Traveling clothes, ashigaru armor, daishō (katana and wakizashi), yumi, knife, traveling pack.

Edited by Nheko
1. Had the wrong School Ability 2. Removed the Shinobi School keyword 3. Replaced the Earth School Bonus Ring with Water Ring.
15 hours ago, Nheko said:

the school is scout/shinobi and have some shinobi techniques, but doesn't have any ring in air.

if they are suppose to be fast, quick, athletic etc, maybe you could consider changing their earth rings bonus for air (if you want to keep shinobi) or otherwise fire or water. I feel earth makes the less sense here.

school ability, " During any turn you have move  d at le  ast 1 range band, you increase the TN of any Attack action targeting you by 1". I suggest you revisit the wording because as is, it will never really happen that they attack you in the same TURN that you moved.

here is a potential revision: During your turn, if you moved at least one range band, the next attack action targeting you before the beginning of your next turn have its TN increased by 1.

it is still so so, because school abilities should have some kind of"scaling" and this one doesn't. but at least it is clear. I also feel only against one attack per round is good enough otherwise it is basically Air Stance that you can add on top of any stance which makes it a bit too strong especially considering they also have the "whenever you make a fitness check add opp dices" which is already arguably better than the Doji ability (once per scene, on a persuade check).

Thanks for your review.

I like your rewording of the Ability. I’ll make the changes accordingly. I also agree about the Rings of the School. I’ll use Fire and Water.

Also I removed the Shinobi wording of my main document, should have pay more attention and remove it from here! ? The Usagi are the front fighters that’s why I remove them if I can add something for the Ujina then... Shinobi will be back ?

I’m really happy to see the Minor Clans resurfacing the Community first the Falcon and now the Hare!

#Naga #Faction #Creature #AlternativeOrigin

So, for those who know of my history in Legend of the Five Rings, my long term loyalty to the Naga is nothing new. For those who do not... Hi. I started in L5R with the release of the Shadowlands expansion set back in 1997, when I picked up the Naga starter box. The Naga have always been an aspect of L5R near and dear to my heart, an aspect of the game which heightened its fantasy elements and presented a fascinating counterpoint to the world of Rokugan. I have often likened the setting of Rokugan to Tolkien's Middle Earth, and the Naga very much fall into that comparison. In L5R, the Shadowlands are the equivalent of Mordor, Fu Leng is basically Sauron, the Black Scrolls are basically the Rings of Power, and the Naga are the elves. The Naga are an ancient race of strange people who have battled the darkness threatening Rokugan in the past, and whose society in in a sharp decline. They are the last gasp of a once great civilization, who stand with humanity in this hour, knowing it to be their last and entrusting humanity with being the stewards of the light.

And so, I have always wanted to play a Naga in an L5R RPG game, but I understand how they differ from the game of "gripping samurai drama". I understand the problems they cause (arguably as much as the much loathed Spider Clan) (yes, I am a Naga player who later played the Spider Clan, #dealwithit). However, this is our Homebrew thread! So why should we let that hold us back?

The Naga

Deep in the heart of the Shinomen Forest, something ancient stirs. For thousands of years, they have been but legends, strange beings who appear and vanish from history. Above their waist, they are identical to a human save in the color of their skin. Where a human would have legs, however, these beings possess a long, thick serpentine tail, covered in scales and capable of propelling them at prodigious speed. The Falcon Clan speak of ancient, bizarre ruins in the depths of the Shinomen Forest, containing intricate carvings made from pearls and ivory, overgrown and forgotten, but filled with an otherworldly sense of being watched. Members of the Forest Killer gang speak of terrible nightmares that plague them in such places, to the point where they will avoid them at all costs. The Crab Clan contain accounts of ogres, goblins, and other creatures of the Shadowlands, attempting to enter Rokugan through the Shinomen Marshes of the south, only to be found butchered without explanation. A Kuni shugenja of the 8th century even took a record of a conversation she held with a strange robed figure in a hood, holding a glowing pearl which whispered in her dreams.

But now, something has changed. A tide of darkness is coming, and the sleep of the ancient people has been disturbed. They have begun to awaken to a changed world, knowing one thing for certain.

The land will burn again.

Playing a Naga

Playing a Naga is significantly different than playing a Rokugani samurai. Mechanically, all Naga are non-humans who cannot become Tainted. As they are not part of the Celestial Order as Rokugan understands it, they do not have a Status or Titles within Rokugani culture. Treat Naga who are not integrated into Rokugani society as having Status 0. Instead, all Naga have a Caste score, which functions similar to Status as it relates to how other Naga view them. Additionally, Naga can earn a Name from their place within the Akasha, the great shared soul of the Naga people. This Name functions identically to a Title, possessing a Curriculum and granting a Special Ability and Caste increase upon its completion.

Instead of choosing a Clan or Family, all Naga receive the same bonus Ring in the place of Clan and choose a Bloodline. The Bloodline grants the Naga the benefits similar to a Family. Naga school a School normally, but most will choose a Naga specific School. Naga Schools grant access to Akasha Techniques, which require access to the group soul of the Naga people. These Techniques are not normally accessible to non-Naga, though special circumstances could change that. Naga cannot learn Maho Techniques or Shadowlands Powers.

Finally, all Naga also possess the following Special Ability: Serpentine Body - Naga are Silhouette 3. During any scene, a Naga may move up to 2 range bands instead of 1 for free, before or after taking an Action.

Naga
Ring Increase: +1 Void (representing the connection of all Naga to the Akasha and the Atman)
Caste: 30

At the dawn of the world, long before the Five Ancient Races bound the Spirit Realms into their separate places, the Sun and the Moon surveyed the world created by the gathering of the five great Elemental dragons. One by one, they began to name the world and all the things within it. But as the world began to take form, the Pale Eye grew sad as its mystery would be lost as things were named but there were none to dwell within it. And in that sadness, he cried a single tear of perfect, black crystal. The Black Stone fell to the world below, and from it came the first Naga. Each was golden and perfect, but carried with them the tremendous sadness of the Pale Eye and the great love of the Bright Eye. Each one thought they were the most beloved of the Bright Eye, and soon the Naga warred among themselves. So terrible was their conflict that the one of them called out to the Pale Eye to take away what caused the war, and so the Pale Eye sundered the people. From that day forward, there would be no more golden Naga, but instead the five bloodlines were created, joined together in the shared soul of the Akasha so that the loss of one life would be a loss of all to the Naga.

Asp Bloodline
Ring Increase: +1 Fire or +1 Earth
Skill Increase: +1 Command, +1 Tactics, +1 Smithing

The warriors of the Naga people, the Asp are brown to black in skin tone and range between 15 to 20 feet in length. The second most populous bloodline of the Naga people, the Asp are lead by the Shahadet. ((More to come.))

Chameleon Bloodline
Ring Increase: +1 Air or +1 Water
Skill Increase: +1 Survival, +1 Skullduggery, +1 Fitness

Cobra Bloodline
Ring Increase: +1 Fire or +1 Void
Skill Increase: +1 Theology, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Medicine

Constrictor Bloodline
Ring Increase: +1 Earth or +1 Void
Skill Increase: +1 Meditation, +1 Culture, +1 Labor

Greensnake Bloodline
Ring Increase: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increase: +1 Sentiment, +1 Courtesy, +1 Commerce

More to come - Naga schools. More on the Bloodlines. Akasha Techniques. Probably after I finish my work on the Falcon Clan.

Edited by sndwurks

Updated the Falcon Clan write up.

So I have quite a few Advantages/Disadvantages I've thought up at various points. Do people mind if I dump them as a single block, or should I space it out better?

@sndwurks I really like your rendition of the Falcon. Very clever how you tie in the explanation of the usage of spears.

It was worth the wait. Now play test them. A Bayushi Bushi, Toritaka Phantom Hunter, Storm Fleet, and a Hare Bushi we’re summoned to Emerald Champion Castle...

7 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

So I have quite a few Advantages/Disadvantages I've thought up at various points. Do people mind if I dump them as a single block, or should I space it out better?

Go for it!

Okay, here we go.

Gut Feeling (Void) [Distinction]
Types: Physical, Spiritual

• You have an innate sense for trouble, and can always tell when you are in danger. If a fight is about to break out, a natural disaster is about to strike, or a supernatural threat is about to make it's presence known, you realize it a few moments before anybody else. GM has final say on how far in advance you sense the danger.
  • When making a check to sense or react to a threat based on instinct alone (such as Martial Arts (Melee) [Void] to strike out at an unseen enemy, or Survival [Void] to sense an impending natural disaster) you may reroll up to two dice.

Hay Fever (Water) [Adversity]
Types: Physical

• You have a noticeable allergy to pollen. You become seasonally ill around certain plants at different time of year, and will suffer symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and fatigue during these periods if you are outside. You find it difficult to concentrate on tasks and can only exert yourself for half as long as normal in these conditions.
  • When you make a skill check outdoors in the presence of pollen (such as a Courtesy [Water] check to express your admiration of a garden, or a Survival [Water] to forage for food and water in a forest) you must choose and reroll two dice containing Success or Explosive Success. After resolving the check, if you failed, you gain 1 Void point.

Cooking (Fire) [Passion]
Types: Physical, Interpersonal

• You can identify and prepare any traditional Rokugani dish, including regional specialties. You can identify the ingredients in any meal by sight, smell or taste. Given enough time and supplies, you can turn almost any ingredient into a stunning meal.
  • Whenever you perform a check to be creative or artistic in food preparation (such as a Aesthetics [Fire] to develop a new way to present a dish, or a Culture [Fire] to pinpoint the cultural significance of a foreign food), remove 3 Strife.

Fishing (Water) [Passion]

• You can identify most kinds of fresh and saltwater fish in Rokugan, tell if they are edible or not, and how rare they are. You can always spot a good time or place to fish, and how to safely catch, release, or store fish (both dead and alive).
  • Whenever you perform a check related to fishing as an art, (such as Survival [Water] to set up a fishing line, or Design [Water] to construct a fishing lure from materials on hand), remove 3 Strife.

Matchmaking (Air) [Passion]
Types: Interpersonal

• You have a knack for figuring out who would make a good pair for marriage, alliances and more. If you have a few moments to observe two people, you can instinctively tell if their personalities, skills, families and station are a good complement.
  • Whenever you perform a check related setting people up or figuring out a person's best match (such as a Composition [Air] to help someone refine a love letter, or a Culture [Air] to trace a person's genealogy), remove 3 Strife.

Stage Fright (Fire) [Anxiety]

• You are not good at speaking or performing before large crowds (regardless of status). When faced with such an occasion, you often stammer, shake or hesitate which makes your fear known to others.
  • After performing a check to express yourself in front of a crowd (such as a Performance [Fire] to give the crowd a passionate show, or a Government [Fire] to share your legal theory in court) you receive 3 Strife. If this is the first time this has occurred this scene, gain 1 Void point.

#Advantage #Disadvantage #Passion #Anxiety #Distinction #Adversity #Air #Fire #Water #Void

Edited by UnitOmega

@UnitOmega Good Stuff! Thank you for the Match Making Passion. I have player that will love it!

Hey, it me.

Prisoner of War (Void) [Distinction]
Types: Interpersonal, Mental

• You spent some time as a captive or hostage, probably not in the most comfortable of circumstances. You do not flinch at the possibility of being captured again, and you can quickly build trust with anyone else who has spent time as a prisoner.
  • When performing a check in which your experience with this hardship is a benefit (such as a Meditation [Void] check to such out physical pain and discomfort, or Survival [Void] make the most of limited food and water) you may reroll up to two dice.

Never Left Home (Water) [Adversity]
Types: Interpersonal, Mental

• Most samurai travel on their duties or for training, or even spend a year as Ronin to be more worldly - but not you. Due to some happenstance you have never left your hometown or province. You are generally ignorant to the customs, place-names and geography of places outside your Clan's lands.
  • When you make a skill check to relate to people or understand the geography of an unfamiliar place (such as Courtesy [Water] to express admiration of an unfamiliar city, or Government [Water] to look for a travel route on a map) you must choose and reroll two dice containing Success or Explosive Success. After resolving the check, if you failed, you gain 1 Void point.

Gemstones (Water) [Passion]

• You can identify all manner of precious and semiprecious stones. After a few moments examining a stone, you can tell it's rough value for trade or artistic purposes, and can cut and polish gemstones flawlessly.
  • Whenever you perform a check to acquire or work with gems (such as Design [Water] to incorporate gems into an accessory, or Commerce [Water] to pay a fair price for gems), remove 3 Strife.

Pillow-Talk (Fire) [Passion]

• You have a knack for romantic and intimate language. You always catch romantic subtext in a conversation or piece of art.
  • Whenever you perform a check express a romantic or intimate sentiment (such as a Composition [Fire] to write a love letter, or Courtesy [Fire] to politely express your affection in public), remove 3 Strife.

Dependant (Void) [Anxiety]

• You have a dependant (such as a young child or sibling, an elderly relative, a peasant concubine, etc) who relies on you for their well-being and protection. You must occasionally expend resources to support them or are charged with their protection.
  • After performing a check to consider endangering or choosing not to provide for your Dependant (Such as a Tactics [Void] to make a battle plan which exposes them to danger, or a Commerce [Void] to minimize your spending), you receive 3 Strife. If this is the first time this has occurred this scene, gain 1 Void point.

#Advantages #Disadvantages #Distinction #Adversity #Passion #Anxiety #Void #Fire #Water

Edited by UnitOmega
On 11/9/2018 at 1:39 AM, Nheko said:

I’m really happy to see the Minor Clans resurfacing the Community first the Falcon and now the Hare!

Anyone feeling up to making a pass at the Toku bushi / Monkey clan ? It was one of my favorite schools but I really have no idea where to start here ?