The Big Bad Thread of Homebrews

By sndwurks, in Houserules

6 hours ago, Franwax said:

Anyone feeling up to making a pass at the Toku bushi / Monkey clan ? It was one of my favorite schools but I really have no idea where to start here ?

Mine too ?

I thought about it but the Mantis Bushi reroll School Ability and Mastery Ability killed my idea, since that was a mechanic, I wanted to tie with the Monkey. I’ll keep thinking...

18 hours ago, Nheko said:

Mine too ?

I thought about it but the Mantis Bushi reroll School Ability and Mastery Ability killed my idea, since that was a mechanic, I wanted to tie with the Monkey. I’ll keep thinking...

I meant the one from FFG.

And done, for the Falcon, for the time being.

I'm back, thought of this while doing something else.

Extended Family (Earth)

Types: Interpersonal

• You have a big immediate family, such as a large number of cousins, siblings, uncles and aunts, etc. This can be on one or both sides of your family. A family member can always be counted on to welcome you warmly, give you hospitality and support, and fill you in on all the latest family gossip when you run into them, and you can find them just about anywhere in the appropriate lands, and even outside them if you look hard enough.
  • When making a check to find a family member, or remind someone of their familial obligation to you (Such as a Culture (Earth) to recognize a distant branch's crest, or a Courtesy (Earth) to gently remind a family member of their duty to blood) you may reroll up to two dice.

#Earth #Advantage #Distinction

Someone wanna make me a Nakodo title? I swear I'd seen one but can't seem to find it now.

#Title #Curriculum

Nakodo

The vast majority of marriages in Rokugan are arranged by nakodo, or match-makers. Nakodo have the delicate task of finding not only pairings which will serve the purposes of the marriage contract, often financial or political, but align themselves properly to the will of the Celestial Heavens to further the Celestial Order. They often do this through extended divinations, genealogies, and interviews with the candidates and their families. The duty of a nakodo is essential to the peace and stability of Rokugan, as it is often their pairings which will lead to the success or doom of the next generation.

Assigned by : Family daimyo and local governors often assign an elder, married member of their family as the provincial nakodo, while the Otomo, Doji, and Shosuro families in particular are renowned for the skill of their nakodo.

Status Award : +5 (no maximum)

XP to Completion : 15 XP

Matchmaker's Eye (Title Ability) - As a downtime action, you may make a TN 2 Sentiment (Water) check to evaluate the traits of a given match between two samurai. This can be an existing marriage or even two strangers. If you succeed, your learn one, if any, Advantage or Disadvantage shared by both samurai. You may learn additional Advantages or Disadvantages shared by both samurai for each bonus success.

Curriculum :

• Scholar Skills (Skill Group)
  • Commerce (Skill)
  • Courtesy (Skill)
  • Games (Skill)
  • <> Rank 1-2 Water Shuji (Technique Group)
  • <> Divination (Ritual Technique)
  • <> Tea Ceremony (Ritual Technique)

you're a scholar and a saint

#Weapon #Equipment

I decided to have a shot at throwing some stats together for everyone's favourite gaijin pepper toys. The idea with them was to try and get a feel of sheer impact, that when one of them is fired it is a shocking experience not just in physical damage but the sounds and sudden force. They're set up with a long enough reload time that they're more or less 'one shot per battle', as they're early matchlocks rather than wheelocks or further along.

Black Powder: A character that loses fatigue from a weapon with the black powder quality takes stress equal to the fatigue lost. The TN of attack actions with a Black Powder weapon is increased by 2 if they are not dry.

Tanegashima Pistol
Skill: Ranged
RNG: 0-4
DMG: 8
DLS: 5
Grips: 1 Handed
Qualities: Concealable, Forbidden, Black Powder, Prepare
Preparing this weapon requires 5 actions instead of 1.

Tanegashima Rifle
Skill: Ranged
RNG: 2-5
DMG: 8
DLS: 6
Grips: 2 Handed
Qualities: Cumbersome, Forbidden, Black Powder, Prepare
Preparing this weapon requires 5 actions instead of 1.

Edited by Ikiry0

Putting this up here: another valiant take at the Bayushi Enforcer by Daigotsu Max:

#wasp #schoolability

So without attempting to flop around with an entire curriculum... I'm only going to flop around with school abilities.

*Note I tend use the EotE range system. Apologies for mixing it up ahead of time.

-----

Wasp Bounty Hunter [ Bushi ]

+1 Air, +1 Water

School Ability :

Way of the Wasp :

• You can increase the range of your bow attacks by up to [school rank]. Doing so increases the TN by an equal amount.

• Alternatively you can increase or decrease the critical severity of a readied bow by an amount equal to your [school rank].

Mastery Ability :

Tsuruchi's Training (placeholder name) :

Select a target you can see.

As long as you aren't engaged (range 0-2/melee distance) with any enemies, you may take an attack action with a readied bow to fire at the target whenever it moves to a new range band.

Additionally you may use a bow to target foes engaged (range 1-2/blade distance) with yourself and others without repercussions.

-----

Like my previous one this was... An attempt.

Thanks for the read.

Edited by Arolem
2 hours ago, Arolem said:

Way of the Wasp :

• You can increase the range of your bow attacks by up to [school rank]. Doing so increases the TN by an equal amount.

• Alternatively you can increase or decrease the critical severity of a readied bow by an amount equal to your [school rank].

I would suggest that a change to "You can increase or decrease the Deadliness of an attack you make with a yumi or daikyu by up to your School Rank. Additionally, Yumi and Daikyu have a Range of 1 to 5 while you wield them." Right now, the Yumi and Daikyu have ranges of 2 to 5. Nothing has a range band beyond 6. Being able to use them at Range Band 1 means they can generally pick any stance, and still use their bow in combat. Also, the nomenclature regarding the Deadliness aligns with the wording of the Kakita technique. As written the way you had it, it is unclear when the severity could be increased, which could be argued that it comes AFTER you have inflicted the Critical Strike, and AFTER they have rolled their Fitness and applied their Reduction.

isn't there a kata "hawk's eyes" to increase OR reduce the range of ranged weapons ? the school ability should not make that irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

isn't there a kata "hawk's eyes" to increase OR reduce the range of ranged weapons ? the school ability should not make that irrelevant.

Hawk’s precision lets you extend the max range. Since max range is 6, adding school rank bands to a yumi will quickly become irrelevant anyway... to circumvent minimal range, you have some general kata like flowing water strike which can be used with any weapon and changes the range to 0-2 in all situations.

One of the key abilities of the Tsuruchi was something like “the arrow knows the way”, which was basically a site hit with massive damage, but limited uses. Not sure how we could render that without making it busted though ;)

2 minutes ago, Franwax said:

Hawk’s precision lets you extend the max range. Since max range is 6, adding school rank bands to a yumi will quickly become irrelevant anyway... to circumvent minimal range, you have some general kata like flowing water strike which can be used with any weapon and changes the range to 0-2 in all situations.

One of the key abilities of the Tsuruchi was something like “the arrow knows the way”, which was basically a site hit with massive damage, but limited uses. Not sure how we could render that without making it busted though ;)

hmmm i had that weird thought that hawk's precision also let you reduce the range... i'll have to re-read it when at home.

5 hours ago, sndwurks said:

I would suggest that a change to "You can increase or decrease the Deadliness of an attack you make with a yumi or daikyu by up to your School Rank. Additionally, Yumi and Daikyu have a Range of 1 to 5 while you wield them." Right now, the Yumi and Daikyu have ranges of 2 to 5. Nothing has a range band beyond 6. Being able to use them at Range Band 1 means they can generally pick any stance, and still use their bow in combat. Also, the nomenclature regarding the Deadliness aligns with the wording of the Kakita technique. As written the way you had it, it is unclear when the severity could be increased, which could be argued that it comes AFTER you have inflicted the Critical Strike, and AFTER they have rolled their Fitness and applied their Reduction.

Thank ya... Didn't have the book in front of me. Or my notes.

Probably shouldn't have attempted it off memory in the middle of the night. But better to post a hot mess than lay awake unable to sleep, I always say!

#MinorClan #BadgerClan #School

Badger Clan

Ring Increase: +1 Earth
Skill Increase: +1 Fitness

The founder of the Badger Clan was a powerful Crab warrior who proved his worth in a contest of strength in front of the Emperor. The descendents of the fi rst Badger live on the northern border of Rokugan, and are tasked with guarding the Empire from foreign invasion. The Badger take after their Great Clan cousins, embracing strength at the expense of refinement, and do not accept defeat even in the face of insurmountable odds.

Ichiro Family

Rings: +1 Earth or +1 Void
Skill Increases: +1 Martial Arts (Unarmed), +1 Games
Glory: 33
Starting Wealth: 4 Koku

The Ichiro are rude and coarse in their interactions with the rest of the Empire. They believe in action over words and pragmatics over societal norms. The Ichiro are stocky by nature, and their mountainous lifestyle ensures a heavily muscular frame.
What does your character know?

All Badger Clan characters have a greater awareness of the following topics:

• You have a general awareness of the politics of the Crab Clan, Dragon Clan and the minor Clan.
  • You know many basic facts about the Great Wall of the North and the Path of Woe, including how to find food, find shelter.
  • You know the rule of Sumai.

What does Bushido mean to your character?
Badger were self-reliant and individualistic people, who did not ask for help and tended to be extremely stubborn. They placed a lot of value on the individual and his personal achievements. The Badger were very competitive and could make contests out of almost anything, usually based upon strength. Two rules of the Bushido are Important for the Badger: Yu (Courage), to face all the dangers that are presented to him, and especially the Chugi, these samurai take responsibility for defending their areas against the invaders and have never failed.

For the badger, which is a very closed clan, the Rei (Courtesy) is quite rare and is considered less important than the rest.

Ichiro Pass Warden School (Bushi)

The founder of the Ichiro Bushi School was a Hida. It is no surprise, then, that the School remains similar to its Crab roots. The school’s philosophy is simple: hit the enemy so hard that he has no time to engage in any fancy tactics.

The Ichiro Bushi School focuses on their love of wrestling and unarmed combat. It emphasizes the power of pure strength in defeating enemies. The Ichiro Bushi uses strength as the answer to almost any problems that may arise. Others may move faster or strike with more precision, but the Ichiro will answer with overwhelming damage.

Rings: +1 Earth, +1 Fire
Starting Skills (Choose 😞 +1 Fitness +1 Games, +1 Labor, +1 Martial Arts (Melee), +1 Martial Arts (Unarmed), +1 Meditation, +1 Medicine, +1 Survival
Honor: 41
Techniques Available Kata, Rituals, Shuji

Starting Techniques: Kata (choose 2): ♦ Lord Hida’s Grip, ♦ Open-Hand Style, Striking as Earth, Striking as Fire

Trancend the Mountain (School Ability):
Starting Outfit: Ashigaru armor, traveling clothes, daishō (katana and wakizashi), 1 blunt weapon, knife, traveling pack.

Rank 1:

Martial Skills / Skill Group

Fitness / Skill

Commerce /Skill

Survival / Skill

Rank 1 Kata / Technique Group

♦ Crescent Moon Style (Kata) / Technique

Stonewall Tactics (Shuji) / Technique

Rank 2:

Trade Skills / Skill Group

Command / Skill

Labor / Skill

Games / Skill

Rank 1-2 Kata / Technique Group

♦ Iron in the Mountains Style (Kata) / Technique

Rushing Avalanche Style (Kata) / Technique

Rank 3:

Fitness / Skill

Meditation / Skill

Tactics / Skill

Rank 1-3 Kata / Technique Group

Touchstone of Courage (Shuji) / Technique

Weight of Duty (Shuji) / Technique

Rank 4:

Scholar Skills / Skill Group

Martial Arts (Unarmed) / Skill

Martial Arts (Melee) / Skill

Perfomance / Skill

Rank 1-4 Earth Shugi / Technique Group

Crashing Wave Style (Kata) / Technique

Ebb and Flow (Shuji) / Technique

Rank 5:

Fitness / Skill

Theology / Skill

Survival / Skill

Rank 1-5 Kata / Technique Group

Strinking as Void / Technique

Wolf's Proposal / Technique

Rank 6:

Way of Badger (Mastery Ability): At the start of a skirmish, before Initiative is rolled, you may choose to lower your Initiative total by 20 for the duration of the skirmish. In exchange, you add your Earth Rings to both your attack and your damage rolls for the first two rounds of that skirmish.

That's it, feel free to tell me what you think or make corrections if necessary.
(sorry for my level of English, it's not my native language).
I'll post some more.

@ludo199 - Excellent start, and I'll definitely go through this with a fine toothed comb later. Two quick notes:

1. You have no School Ability listed
  2. Your Mastery Ability is a direct copy of the 4th Edition Rank 5 of the Badger School, which uses rules which are no longer applicable.

For a School Ability, I would probably emphasize the hardy, reliable athleticism of the Badger Clan and their overpowering might. My suggestion: "Power of the Mountain: Once per scene, you may reduce the cost of Opportunities needed to inflict the Immobilized or Prone condition as part of an attack on an opponent at Range 0. When making a Fitness check, you may add a Ring die showing the Opportunity symbol as a Kept Dice." This allows them to grab and knock down opponents who are not in the Earth Stance more easily, and also makes them better at athletic actions as well as more versatile while soaking Critical Strikes.

For a Mastery Ability, you might want keep to the feel of the first ability by having it be something activated while rolling Initiative at the start of a Skirmish. I would recommend making it cost a Void point. More than that, I would have to think on for a bit.

Thank you for your answer. I was MJ on the 4th edition and changing edition is a little disturbing.
But I followed your advice and thought of something like this:

Power of the Mountain (School Ability): When the character take damage due to a environment (fall, temperature, crush, etc.) and make a Fitness check, all Opportunities result count as a Success.

Here I wanted to use the mountain survival side of badgers.

Badger's Claw (Mastery Ability): Once per scene, during the Initiative rollat the start of a Skirmish, you can use a Void Point and play at last. During the first turn, your opponent can't defend against the damage and take a critical strike.

For this one, I used your advice, while staying on my basic idea (a powerful attack in a left or double).

What do you think ?

I also work on the Wasp Clan, and I took what you said

#MinorClan #WaspClan #School

Wasp Clan

Ring Increase: +1 Air
Skill Increase: +1 Martial Art (Ranged)

The Wasp Clan has the greatest archers in the Empire, and feared by all the criminals of Rokugan. Originally, Tsuruchi betrayed, retook the castle that had been his birthright slaughtering all within. In the ensuing uproar, Tsuruchi presented his case to Emerald Champion. was declared innocent of any wrong doing and was given leave to create his own minor clan. Tsuruchi's followers had long since given him the nickname "Little Wasp", so there was little debate over the name for their new clan.

Tsuruchi Family

Rings: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Martial Art (Ranged), +1 Fitness
Glory: 37
Starting Wealth: 5 Koku

The Tsuruchi family, dedicated its existence to hunt down the criminals of all the empire, thanks to the bow. They even defined their own code of bushido (because their actions were not in agreement with the bushido). The family's holdings were almost exclusively nestled within the Spine of the World Mountains, slightly north of the Sparrow and Kitsune lands. They were generally infertile, being either the barren rock of the mountains and their foothills, or dry sandy flatlands.

All Wasp Clan characters have a greater awareness of the following topics:

• You have a strong grasp of the politics within Wasp lands, as well as general information of the clan's major cities.
  • You have solid knowledge of Rokugan's judicial system, the best-known criminals, and how to track them.
  • You know everything about bow and arrow.

The tsuruchi have developed their own code of honor, which was not entirely in accord with the code of Bushido. Its main precepts are Duty and Loyalty (Chugi), and Justice.
But Compassion (Jin) is the least used, especially towards criminals.

Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter School (Bushi)

Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter School taught the way of the bow to the exclusion of all else (including the sword). Tsuruchi snapped his own blade in half with his foot, and his followers were bid to do the same. saying it was a symbol of an impossibly limiting code of conduct. Students of Tsuruchi's technique were capable of amazing feats with a bow, the least of which included firing multiple shots at once or even firing several shots in the space of time it would take a lesser archer to ready a single attack. A Bounty Hunter took on any bounty from any legal authority, to be paid only on completion of their task. They did not question whether or not the people they hunt down deserved to die.

Rings: + Air, +1 Void
Starting Skills (Choose 5): +1 Fitness, +1 Governement, +1 Martial Art (Ranged), +1 Meditation, +1 Sentiment, +1 Skulduggery, +1 Survival
Honor: 27
Techniques Available: Kata, Rituals, Shuji
Starting Techniques:
Kata: Hawk’s Precision, Striking as Air
Way of the Wasp (School Ability): You can increase or decrease the Deadliness of an attack you make with a yumi or daikyu by up to your School Rank. Additionally, Yumi and Daikyu have a Range of 1 to 5 while you wield them.
Starting Outfit: Concealed armor, wakizashi (short sword), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, calligraphy set, knife, club, Traveling pack.

Rank 1
Schoolar Skills / Skill Group

+1 Martial Art (Ranged) / Skill

+1 Survival / Skill

+1 Tactic / Skill

Rank 1 Kata / Technique Group

♦ Pelting Hail Style (Kata) / Technique

Whispers of Court (Shuji) / Technique

Rank 2

Martial Skills/ Skill Group

Governement/ Skill

Skulduggery / Skill

Smithing / Skill

Rank 1-2 Kata / Technique Group

Disappearing World Style (Kata) / Technique

Feigned Opening (Shuji) / Technique

Rank 3
Trade Skills/ Skill Group

Martial Art (Ranged) / Skill

Commerce / Skill

Governement / Skill

Rank 1-3 Air Shuji / Technique Group

♦ Pin the Fan (Kata) / Technique

♦ Breath of Wind Style (Kata) / Technique

Rank 4
Artisan Skills / Skill Group

Skulduggery / Skill

Fitness / Skill

Survival / Skill

Ranks 1-4 Kata / Technique Group

♦ Soul Sunder (Kata) / Technique

Eye of Wasp* / Technique

Rank 5

Martial Art (Ranged) / Skill

Smithing / Skill

Tactic / Skill

Ranks 1-5 Kata / Technique Group

Prey on the Weak (Shuji) / Technique

Skulk (Ninjustu) / Technique

Rank 6
Wasp's Sting (Mastery Ability): You can use 1 Void point to use one effect:

• If the target does not move (and if it is in range), the arrow will hit it for sure. The Martial Arts (Ranged) check determines the damage bonus.
  • If the target hides behind a simple protection (thin wooden board for example), the arrow can pass through and reach its target without reducing the damage. Or Ignore up to 2 points of the target’s physical resistance.
  • You can shoot 3 arrows maximum at the same time(like you shoot 1). Each arrow shoot requires a roll, and even Opportunity give a bonus for the next.
  • You reload your bow immediately after shooting. This allows you to withdraw on the next turn.

* Eye of Wasp (Wasp Only) Rank 4

-Activation: Once per scene as a Support action, if you know a ennemi is near but you do not know its position. You may make a TN 2 Air Ring check to reper the location of a hidden target.

-Effect: If you succeed, you can detect the location a possible target. The more successful you are, the more accurate your analysis is.

I know there is a ninjutsu technique, but I think it's a good match for the wasp and the fact that they have their own code of honor.
For the Mastery Abilitie: I especially wanted the wasps to be fun with their bow and can make hallucinating stuff. But I think there are things to improve on the rule.

So, what do you think ?

Edited by ludo199

#Title

Kuni Tsukai Sagasu (Witch Hunter)

A quasi-monastic organization, the Witch Hunters devote themselves to hunting down and destroying maho-tsukai wherever they are found. As such they work closely with similar organizations from other Clans, though misunderstandings have occurred.

Non-Shugenja characters joining the Tsukai Sagasu must take monastic vows of pacifism (except against the Shadowlands and Taint), poverty, and celibacy, as well as set aside any other obligations and duties. Brotherhood of Shinsei members view the Monastic Witch Hunters as being a different but collegial monastic sect. Shugenja Witch Hunters are excused from these requirements while actively serving as the voices of the kami, but upon retirement are expected to join their monastic brethren.

Status Award: +0 (Set to 25 for non-Shugenja characters)

XP to Complete: 24

Title Ability: “To Shatter the Darkness”

When targeting a Shadowlands being or Tainted being with a skill check, or when targeted by such a being during a skill check, you may spend a Void Point to increase or decrease the TN by your ranks in Meditation (to a minimum of 1).

Advance

Scholar Skills Group

Martial Arts [Unarmed]

Martial Arts [Melee]

Meditation

Theology

* Striking As Earth (Kata Rank 1)

* Striking As Fire (Kata Rank 1)

* Earthen Fist (Earth Kiho Rank 1)

* Cleansing Spirit (Earth Kiho Rank 1)

------

Military Advisor

Courtiers cannot be expected to understand military matters comprehensively, despite being samurai. Instead, specialized advisors serve higher-ranking courtiers, alerting them to the military implications of the maneuvers at court. Over time, these military advisors become somewhat adept at walking the halls of power, no matter how their feet might itch for the honest soil of the field of battle.

Status Award: +10

Title Ability: “Bunbu Ryodo”

Once per session as a Scheme and Support Action, or as a downtime activity targeting a particular location or social group, you may make a TN 4 Government (Air) Check. If you are successful, you discover any rumors which have clear military implications. If discerning someone’s qualities is your objective in an Intrigue, you gain momentum equal to your Air Ring plus bonus successes.

Advance
Command

Courtesy

Culture

Government

* Weight of Duty (Earth Shuji Rank 1)

* Shallow Waters (Water Shuji Rank 1)

* Courtier’s Resolve (Void Shuji Rank 1)

* Stirring the Embers (Fire Shuji Rank 1)

* Cadence (Air Shuji Rank 1)

------

Kolat Whisperer

The hidden conspirators known as the Kolat rely on their network of spies and saboteurs in order to remain undetected by the magistrates of Rokugan. Whisperers are the front line of defense in the courts of the Empire, each trained to gather information, spread rumors, and, if the need is dire enough, to eliminate targets by their own hands.

Status Award: 0

XP to Complete: 36

TItle Ability: “The Coming Age of Man”

Once per session at the start of a scene, target an NPC present at the scene and make a Skulduggery (Air) check with TN equal to their highest Conflict rank (or Vigilance, if appropriate). If you succeed, the target must disclose to you a disadvantage they possess. For the rest of the session, you count as having a relevant Distinction while targeting that character with Social Skill rolls (and therefore may reroll up to 2 dice). If you already knew that the character possessed that disadvantage, you count as having fulfilled a Passion and may remove 3 strife.

Advance

Social Skills

Government

Sentiment

Skulduggery

* Rank 1-5 Ninjutsu

* Shallow Waters (Water Shuji Rank 1)

* Tea Ceremony (Ritual)

Asako Inquisitor (Shugenja/Courtier)

The Asako Inquisitors were founded to combat maho wherever it might arise. Their symbol was an open eye representing their eternal vigilance. The Inquisitors answered only to the Council of Five or the Emperor, The goal of the Inquisitors was to find and destroy relics, users, and cells of maho and maho-tsukai, or anyone who abuse the power of kamis

Status Award: +0
Seekers of the Truth (Title Ability): The Inquisitor has a mystical eye tattoos of each hand. Once per scene, when you target see your tattoos and you make a Sentiment check, you can use a Void Point to reroll 2 dice.

Schoolar Skills / Skills Group

Medicine / Skill

Sentiment / Skill

Theology / Skill

Rank 1-2 Fire Invocation / Technique Group

The Cleansing Fire (Invocation) / Technique

Truth Burns through Lies (Shuji) / Technique

#Title #LionClan #MinorClan #FoxClan #Distinction

Matsu Lion Pride Brawler (Bushi/Courtier)

The Matsu Berserker are the main force of the Lion's army, but the Lion Prides are the most feared, the most prestigious and the most renowned of all the units of the Empire, Formed only by the strongest women warriors of Lion Army. On the battlefield, the Lion's Pride tried to seek out the enemy generals and kill them, destroying the enemy’s battlefield efficiency. Their reputation and their outspokenness is also used during the court, dares to oppose these samurai-ko.

Status Award: +0
Fury of the Lion (Title Ability): During a skirmish, you need to locate the enemy leader. If you run to the leader ennemy you can make a Fitness (Fire) check, every success add +2 to your armor and every opportunity add +1 to dommage adds 1 point of damage to the target.

Martial Skills
Courtesy
Fitness
Tactics
Rank 1-2 Kata
♦ Battle in the Mind (Kata)
Lightning Raid (Shuji)

Fox Clan

Ring Increase: +1 Fire
Skill Increase: +1 Survival

The Fox Clan is the first and perhaps oldest Minor Clan. The Fox Clan is located next to one of the largest forests in Rokugan, where they were befriended by fox spirits and developed a powerful love for the beauty of nature. Originally, the Fox Clan had a duty to watch and watch the Unicorn Clan (due to their trip to the Burning Sands). Though the Minor Clan is small and has limited resources, the Fox had been forced to hunt for food, an unclean act in Rokugan's society, like the Fox Spirit: Kitsune (shapechangers native to the haunted forests within their lands). Which explains their close relationship with these spirits

Kitsune Family

Rings: +1 Air or +1 Fire
Skill Increases: +1 Theology, +1 Meditation
Glory: 47
Starting Wealth: 4 Koku

The Kitsune family of the Fox Clan was noted for its scholarship, its knowledge of the medicinal properties of plants, and the subtle magic of its shugenja. The Kitsune family also had an alliance of sorts with the kitsune fox-spirits of their homeland, and some said that the samurai have intermarried with the spirits many times over the generations.

All Fox Clan characters have a greater awareness of the following topics:
You have a general awareness of the politics of the Crane Clan and other Minor Clans, especially your fellow Fox Clan members.
You Know many basic facts about the forest (particularly that are near), and the respect of the nature (les plantes, champignons comestibles,animals, how to make fire, the paths, etc).
You know many basic facts about the Chikusudo and the spirits who live there, especially the Kitsune.
You know the basic knowledge in medicine, injuries, poisoning and plants commonly used to treat them.
For the Fox clan, Compassion (Yu) is by far the most important, for example healing or assisting someone who is hurt, lost or hungry especially with regard to spirits or animals.

Kitsune Spirit Guide School (Shugenja)

Kitsune Shugenja who had a dangerously strong connection to Chikushudo. With their relationship to nature, shugenja helps those in need.

Rings: +1 Air, +1 Void
Starting Skills (Choose 5): +1 Composition, +1 Courtesy, +1 Games, +1 Labor, +1 Martial Art (Ranged), +1 Medicine, +1 Meditation, +1 Survival, +1 Theology
Honor: 48
Techniques Available: Invocations, Rituals, Shuji
Starting Techniques:
Invocation: Nature’s Touch
Invocation (Choose 1): Call Upon the Wind, Cloak of Night, ♦ Mask of Wind
Rituals: Commune with the Spirits
Essence of Chikushudo (School Ability): When you use the Rituals: "Commune with the Spirits", each opportinity count as a success. Same for actions towards a Chikushodo spirit.
Starting Outfit: Starting Outfit: Sanctified robes, wakizashi (short sword), knife, divination kit, scroll satchel, calligraphy set or tea set, traveling pack.

Rank 1
Artisan Skills
Theology
Medicine
Survival
Rank 1 Fire Invocation
Matsu's Battlecry (Invocation)
Summon Fog (Invocation)

Rank 2
Scholar Skills
Labor
Composure
Meditation
Rank 1-2 Air Invocation
Divination (Rituals)
Artisan’s Appraisal (Shuji)

Rank 3
Trade Skills
Martial Art (Ranged
Sentiment
Courtesy
Rank 1-3 Air Shuji
Vapor of Nightmares (Invocation)
Fury of Osano-wo (Invocation)

Rank 4
Social Skills
Fitness
Theology
Meditation
Rank 1-4 Fire Invocation
All Arts Are One (Shuji)
False Realm of the Fox Spirits (Invocation)

Rank 5
Scholar Skills
Survival
Composition
Medicine
Rank 1-5 Air Invocation
Sensational Distraction (Shuji)
Rouse the Soul (Shuji)

Rank 6
(Mastery Ability): (Don't Know, Any Idea?)

Child of Chikusudo (Fire) [Distinction]

Types: Physical, Spiritual
Effects: The following apply to you:
You can use the Shapeshifter Ability.
Because of your dual nature, your human form is imperfect. These flaws will be discussed with the GM.

#Title #CrabClan

Ok, so I totally expect one of my players to insist on pushing his Hida bushi towards the path of the Crab Berserkers. A title would be the best way to go about it in my view. What do you guys think about it?

Title: Crab Berserker

Prerequisite: Crab clan

Assigned by: the head of a Berserker unit, after the character has distinguished themselves in combat by their bravery, savagery and complete disregard for their own safety

Status award: N/A

XP to completion: 24

Reckless abandon (Title Ability): unlike most people, you may choose not to defend against an attack without spending a Void point (cf. Core Rulebook, p. 268); if you do so, you automatically become Enraged after the critical strike is resolved.

Advance

Type

Martial Skills

Skill Group

Command

Skill

Survival

Skill

Rank 1-2 Kata

Technique Group

<>Lightning Raid

Technique (Shuji)

<>Spinning Blades Style

Technique (Kata)

<>Rallying Cry

Technique (Shuji)

(Not so sure about the second skill… alternatively Performance, to boast of your exploits?)

So, as a thought experiment, I was kicking around rando animal ideas for Minor Clans, and for some reason my brain really stuck on the humble mole. So I chipped away at the idea until I had something I hope is neat - a role niche enough for a Minor Clan (one literally "beneath" notice) but still interacting with a subject which might be interesting to a GM or player if they want to take a crack at an area not always thought of - underground.

#MinorClan #Family #School

Mole Minor Clan
Ring Increase: +1 Earth
Skill: +1 Theology
The Mole Clan was founded by Agasha Mogura, who compiled a study on Yobanjin hidden passages, tunnels and mountain passes in the Dragon Mountains and also studied reports of the Kuni when their land was invaded by tunneling monsters from the Shadowlands. He submitted these to the Emperor during Winter Court, with a concern that underground tunnels, caverns and ruins could span Rokugan and be used by the Empire's enemies to move undetected. Understanding his concern, the Emperor elevated Mogura to a minor clan and charged them with the task of discovering, mapping and policing the underground spaces of Rokugan - especially those not claimed officially by any Great Clan. If the roads are the Emperor's, so too then are any caves or tunnels.
Most of the Great Clans completely fail to notice the Mole Clan, who silently toil out of sight underground, patrolling tunnels, exploring natural caverns and occasionally documenting ruins, collapses and excavations. They have some of the best subterranean and topographical charts of Rokugan - and occasionally Imperial Families such as the Miya remember their task and will study their records. The exceptions to this are the Dragon, who respect the offshoot Clan in finding their own path, and the Kuni family of the Crab, who infrequently work with Mole Clan members to track and mark Shadowlands tunnels in their land and defeat uprisings of monsters. The Kuni share their knowledge of these foes freely, but many Kuni wonder if the quiet and studious Mole have the right resolve to face the creatures of the Shadowlands. In addition to their knowledge of where passages and caverns lead, the Mole also have good knowledge of general geology - they know which earth is stable to dig in, and which isn't and know where to find veins of valuable ores and gems. They only dig them up when necessary, but they have surprising wealth for many a Minor Clan.

What Does Your Character Know?

• You have a strong grasp of the politics within Mole lands, and of the Clan's major holdings such as Kyuden Mogura and the Shrine of the Earth Dragon.
  • You have a general knowledge of the geology of Rokugan. You know which earth is stable and which is unstable, the general mineral wealth of a given region, and can name all active volcanoes in Rokugan.
  • You know the names of many significant Earth kami who dwell deep beneath the surface, either by study or by personal experience.
  • You know a great deal about underground structures. You can tell if a cavern is natural or manmade, identify when a cave-in is about to occur, and navigate through caves and tunnels even in the dark by memory and feel.

What does Bushido mean to your Clan?
Duty is the most key tenet to the Mole Clan. They are granted an Imperial task they must carry out even if other samurai would find it unpleasant, and when on an underground expedition, one must have absolute faith and obedience in your leaders, lest one get lost or come to harm. The Mole do not act for personal gain, despite the secrets and wealth they know of, but must work to safeguard the Emerald Empire from threats no other clan can perceive.
But, for those who operate hidden from view, Righteousness is sometimes considered an imperfect light in the darkness. Honesty and justice are good when they serve the benefit of all, but are not a benefit in of themselves. Members of the Mole clan will quietly explore tunnels, and track their makers without revealing them, and even carry out their own excavations to find new information or recover lost knowledge without revealing them to the outside world. Only when the Empire is in peril do they act, and they may not ever speak of what they have done. Only those who dive beneath the Earth can speak to what the concerns of the Mole are.

Mogura Family
Ring Increase: +1 Earth or Void
Skills: +1 Labor, +1 Survival
Glory: 34 Starting Wealth: 7 koku
The descendants of Agasha Mogura and his students are soft-spoken, diligent and faithful people. They have a special relationship with the Earth kami, especially those deep underground, and have a knack for "listening" to the land. Majority of the family spends their time in meditative prayer above ground, seeking favor of the land, or cataloging their charts, maps and journals. A number of them are sent out each year to catalog and patrol known caves, tunnels, mines and other underground pathways on a regular "pilgrimage" where they will verify the status of these places and note down any change. In times of concern, such as tremors, rumors or other new discoveries, small teams of Mogura samurai may launch an investigation into the matter. While they have access to mineral wealth, the Mogura do not believe in ostentation - they dress plainly in earthy colors, and their homes and buildings are compact and reinforced. On the rare occasion a Mogura cannot stand to be underground, they are usually sent to study with the Miya, usually as cartographers. It is said that the Mogura are of weak eyesight traditionally, but this is not entirely true - they must learn to live by not trusting their sight, and may spend hours or days underground with only candles and lamps to guide them.

Mogura Spelunker School [Shugenja, Artisan]
The first thing the Mogura shugenja learn is to "listen to the Earth". Both to the kami, but also to the land itself - as one can learn many things by simply quietly observing. They attune themselves to the Earth and can perceive many things one cannot, and when the earth speaks to them they speak back with an uncanny ability to navigate or even shift the terrain. The Mogura are trained explorers also - they know how to locate caves and tunnels, how to explore them safely, and how to map them when they return to the surface. They perform a lot of their duties by lantern-light, or by no light at all, trusting the kami and their other senses with absolute faith. While quiet and dutiful, the Mogura are not pacifists; they are supposed to be on the lookout for Rokugan's enemies underground, and can defend themselves. They also know about the health of the underground - when it is a good idea to make a tunnel and when to collapse one for everyone's safety.
Rings: +1 Air, +1 Void
Starting Skills (Pick Three): +1 Composition, +1 Culture, +1 Fitness, +1 Labor, +1 Meditation, +1 Survival, +1 Theology
Honor: 40
Techniques Available: Invocations, Rituals, Shuji
Starting Techniques :
Invocations (choose three): Courage of Seven Thunders, ◆Embrace of Kenro-ji-jin, Grasp of Earth, Tetsubo of Earth, Wall of Earth
Rituals: Commune With the Spirits
Speak To The Earth (School Ability) : After performing an Earth Invocation, you may add or remove the Dangerous, Entangling, Imbalanced (Earth) or Hallowed (Earth) quality to all terrain around you up to your School Ranks in range bands.
Starting Outfit: Sanctified Robes, Travelling Clothes, wakizashi, bo or knife, scroll satchel, lantern, travelling pack

Advance

Type

Martial Skills

Skill Group

Command

Skill

Labor

Skill

Theology

Skill

Rank 1 Earth Shuji

Tech Group

By the Light of the Lord Moon

Technique

◆Earth Needs No Eyes

Technique

Scholar Skills

Skill Group

Meditation

Skill

Smithing

Skill

Survival

Skill

Rank 1-2 Earth Invocations

Tech Group

Artisan's Appraisal

Technique

◆Power of the Earth Dragon

Technique

Artisan Skills

Skill Group

Culture

Skill

Labor

Skill

Theology

Skill

Rank 1-3 Earth Shuji

Tech Group

Earth Becomes Sky

Technique

◆Grasp the Earth Dragon

Technique

Martial Skills

Skill Group

Command

Skill

Composition

Skill

Survival

Skill

Rank 1-4 Earth Invocations

Tech Group

Pillar of Calm

Technique

◆Iron In The Mountains Style

Technique

Scholar Skills

Skill Group

Fitness

Skill

Labor

Skill

Meditation

Skill

Rank 1-5 Void Shuji

Tech Group

The Soul's Blade

Technique

Tomb of Jade

Technique

The Earth Speaks Back (Mastery Ability) : While you are underground, you ignore the effects of Dangerous, Entangling or Obscuring terrain. As a Support action, or during a downtime scene, you may study an underground passage (cave, tunnel, pit, etc) with a TN 4 Meditation (Earth) check. If you succeed, you can determine the rough dimensions of this space, who or what made it, if there are any creatures or supernatural beings inside and the presence of any dangers within. Your Vigilance is increased by your Earth Ring in this location until the end of the scene.

Edited by UnitOmega

I would suggest one minor change to the Mole at first blush: either the family or school Earth bonus. Starting characters can only have a 3-max ring, which forces them to either choose Air as the family bonus, or allows the school to essentially read as +1 Any Non-Earth Ring, +1 Void.